I use my own name

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » I use my own name

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 06:12 am
I have used my own name in the forums for the last three years. This is what I think all atheists should do---not hide in the closet as even most of the militant faithful do.

But I do not use pictures of myself! I want to remain hard to find to the religious fanatics of all faiths who, if they read my book, would love to strike me dead and even torture me!:devilish:Laughing

jgweed

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:13 am
@charles brough,
Well, I follow your principle of using my own name; it is convenient when participating in many forums. I think, as well, it makes one more responsible for the content of one's posts, since it helps one avoid the temptations when wearing masks.
Welcome to the Philosophy Forum.
Regards,
John

nameless

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 04:12 pm
@charles brough,
charles brough;38848 wrote:
I have used my own name in the forums for the last three years. This is what I think all atheists should do---not hide in the closet as even most of the militant faithful do.

It seems the most nominal of security measures to not offer unnecessary personal info on the net. What difference does offering your name make? You like to see it online? Ego? It is a dangerous practice and invites some squirrely creep with nothing else to do, that you might have somehow offended...
I, personally, evaluate the words that you might offer. It makes no difference if your mundane name is Joe Schmo or Albert Einstein, it is what you offer that might be of value, to me.
Makes no difference what your 'beliefs' are, it is good security for no one to offer such personal info. I imagine that you have been, so far, lucky...
This is the cyberworld, real personal persona are unimportant in this context.

Welcome
Peace

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 10:46 pm
@nameless,
I'm a religious fanatic, but I have no interest in killing you or torturing you.

Glad to have you on the forums, but seriously man, we're not all insane.

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 11:37 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Names are not a product of ego as much as making up your own name. If you want to talk ego then jg and charles have it better (logically) than anyone else. Emergent names are always egoistic, but that's never the intent is it nameless?

In giving one's own name it is not the intent to form a bias, the bias is intended when reflecting on other's names, like I will only read posts from a certain list of users or something like that. So by making your name nameless, nameless, you have absolutely nothing to prove by doing so.

And Nameless I dunno why you say this to Charles in the arrogant fashion that hints you do not take the "mundane ego" approach. It's represented in so many others ways on this forum anyways. Are you saying that you'd continue your arrogant manner of speech if you knew you were talking to Albert Einstein?

Welcome to the forums Charles!!

nameless

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:02 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;38978 wrote:
Names are not a product of ego as much as making up your own name.

If you say so. I have many that I haven't 'named myself'; initiatory names, for instance... They have no more inherent meaning than 'nameless' does to me. Depends on the context.

Quote:
Emergent names are always egoistic, but that's never the intent is it nameless?

Sorry, meaningless to me. Whats an 'emegent name'? And I find that when someone recklessly declares 'always' in an assertion, it is usually rather simple matter to refute. So I'm going to let this pass.

Quote:
In giving one's own name it is not the intent to form a bias,

Goodness, are you speaking for all humans or just yourself?
Often, actually, that is exactly the case. There is 'authority' worship going on all over these sites!

Quote:
the bias is intended when reflecting on other's names,

That is often the case also. Again, not necessarily.

Quote:
like I will only read posts from a certain list of users or something like that. So by making your name nameless, nameless, you have absolutely nothing to prove by doing so.

And what, exactly, makes you think that I have anything to 'prove'? You use the term 'prove' as if it were life's blood. It means nothing to me. There are no 'proofs' but what an individual is willing to accept as such. No, I do not have anything to prove. Odd that you would go there...

Quote:
And Nameless I dunno why you say this to Charles in the arrogant fashion

Ahhhh, not we get to the crux of the post; you have an ax to grind. A 'personal' problem. Now I know 'why' you go there. I offered the advice as I would to any internet brother or sister that I think might be inadvertantly putting themselves at unnecessary risk. It matters to me not a whit what their cyber name is. It was some friendly advice. You, on the other hand, had to interpret what I said through your own (wounded?) ego. I don't imagine that the OP would have gone there (without you to pave the 'road').
That was never my intent (for him, not you).

Quote:
Are you saying that you'd continue your arrogant manner of speech if you knew you were talking to Albert Einstein?

Can you even recognize the obvious fallacy that you present in this 'question'?
The fallacious nature of your 'question' renders it unanswerable. And if you asked it properly, the 'answer' would be obvious. If your agenda was not obvious...
Dude, I won't bother you with further arrogant conversations, and I think that if the OP took offense, he can certainly speak for himself, or don't you think him capable? But you make it obvious that it has nothing to do with the OP. Its just about youPerspective, youEgo. You.
I recommend that you put me on 'ignore' so that I don't 'bother' you in the future.
Best of luck with that 'problem'.
Peace

Joe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:16 am
@nameless,
hey Charles,

welcome to the forum.

Sincerley,

Joe-Schmo

Poseidon

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 09:23 am
@charles brough,
An authentic identity is the best way to go.

I like my nick-name, but a link to my real name is on my homepage. I do occasionally get pestered, but, should we walk around wearing masks of ancient Gods, when in the 'real world'? After all its much more dangerous to be followed home by a weirdo, than to admit your identity on a philosophy forum. Philosophers are, at worst, a bit cynical and short of humor.

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:56 pm
@charles brough,
charles brough wrote:

But I do not use pictures of myself! I want to remain hard to find to the religious fanatics of all faiths who, if they read my book, would love to strike me dead and even torture me!:devilish:Laughing

I know where you live!:devilish:

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » I use my own name
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:18:18