Hello...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

-M-

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 03:09 pm
I guess I should proceed and do what the forum subject says / indicates, and introduce myself to the community. :p

I think most of what and who I am is expound in my profile in a (not-so-)short biography.

For those who are too lazy, or as I prefer to put it, uninspired to take a look over there, I am a 19 year old student from (well, I'm technically still in) South Africa. I have a particular interest in philosophy, and specifically Continental Philosophy and the giants such as Descartes, Hegel, Kant, and the other significant thinkers such as Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Sartre and Marx.

I decided, or I was looking, rather, for a forum to join which would enable me to discuss philosophy because I am currently knee-deep in the subject matter. I am taking Philosophy: An Introduction to Continental Philosophy this semester (first half of 2007) and am doing some extra reading.

I have always been interested in Existentialist thought and started reading up on Kierkegaard, but as I had always suspected / known and saw in practice, philosophy and philosophers do not function / exist (did not exist? :p) in a void. Within the first few chapters of "The Arguments of Philosophers: Kierkegaard," by Alastair Hannay (19: 1982) Kierkegaard is described as an "unhappy consciousness" and although the author sets out to, adequately, describe Hegel's label I could not help but want to know more about Hegel and his philosophy. So I, somewhat reluctantly but also enthusiastically, abandoned Kierkegaard and am now reading "Phenomenology of Spirit [Mind]." And I guess one could say that it is this work that inspired me to look for a discussion forum.

It is an intense piece, to say the least, and I would like to discuss it with someone (if any willing exist) as I progress through it. I am, however, still currently stuck in the first paragraph of A. Consciousness, I. Sense-Certainty. Very Happy

I am reading it in English (Hegel, 1979 [1807]) although I can speak, read and write German (among other languages).

Well, I hope that my stay here would be pleasant and I am looking forward to becoming a part of this community.

Regards,

- Marius

References:

Hannay, A. 1982. The Arguments of Philosophers: Kierkegaard. Routledge & Kegan Ltd: London.

Hegel, G. W. F. 1979 [1807]. A. V. Miller (Translator). Phenomenology of Spirit. Oxford University Press.

boagie

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:12 pm
@-M-,
-M-,

You sound an interesting fellow,we are most happy you have chosen to join us.I hope you will find your stay here enriching.I suspect you will be an asset to the community at large--------------again Welcome, and make yourself at home.

Reason is the enemy of faith.
Luther, Martin - :eek:

Pythagorean

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:32 pm
@boagie,
Welcome -M-! I too love the
Continental tradition in philosophy. It is a pleasure for me to welcome you here. Feel free to to make yourself at home. I look forward to some interesting and rewarding discussions.

--Pythagorean

Aron phil

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 08:38 am
@-M-,
hello to the universe of God. this is my first time being introduced to the philosophy forum. I have a zeal for new knowledge. IM searching the great way path to the triune self. Iwould love your help. thank you.

shindig284

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 10:36 am
@Aron phil,
hey everyone... i'm pretty early into my philosophy career, but have developed a love for it already. i plan on one day becoming a professor of philosophy an theology, so this seemed like a fun thing for me to do.

i have a lot to learn yet about the world of philosophy, so if i'm ever mistaken or seem to only posses an elementary knowledge of a subject, please correct me, i would appreciate that.

i look forward to discussing with all of you. thanks

Justin

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 03:39 pm
@-M-,
Welcome to the Philosophy Forum to both of you.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:31:53