The Roads and The Days

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » The Roads and The Days

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:03 am
Greetings to all...

Call me a nerd, but the first post on a new forum always is a bit exciting for me. =)

I started online discussing / debating back in the BBS days of the 80's. I've been on a wide variety of forums over the years: some very worthwhile, others pure crap. I went through my flaming phase and am glad I got all of that out of my system.

There's another forum that I've been on for six years and it's just about run its course. From once having 300 active posters, its now down to about 12 who post sporadically. It has been good to me, though. It was there that I really learned about philosophy, logical debate, and the oh-so-delicate temperaments of online users. =)

I also just left another forum that I was on for a year. It was almost entirely secular humanists. I found it very wanting. The only thing that people seemed interested in was: A) Talking about getting fucked up, B) Slamming each other in the most irrational & petty way possible, C) Talking about getting laid and trying to pick up each other. Any discussion of philosophy was scorned as intellectual preening; any mention of spirituality was mocked and derided.

There was a time when such a place would've worked for me, but no longer.

About me: I have been a atheist for 17 years, but recently (several months ago) had a spiritual awakening that has changed my life completely. I had a personal experience with something that I call God.

I have studied various religions and philosophies extensively, but none call to me. Indeed, I do not believe that any path holds the exclusive monopoly on truth or spirituality. I find aspects of many faiths very wise, but they are not for me.

I look forward to meeting the rest of you, getting to know you & learning about your views and experiences. Thanks for the opportunity to grow and learn with you.

jgweed

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:47 am
@OctoberMist,
I hope you don't mind if something like a secular humanist extends to you a very warm welcome to these forums. I think you will enjoy our discussions even more because, for the most part and in general, they are approached from a philosophical and therefore tolerant viewpoint, and our dialogues are about ideas and positions.
Regards,
John

OctoberMist

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:04 am
@jgweed,
Thanks for the welcome, jgweed. =)

I have nothing against secular humanists per se. The problem I had was that NOBODY was capable of having a rational discussion about philosophy without it turning into a "Let's All Piss On Logic & Spirituality" type of venture.

My big issue was that the majority of these people were quick to speak of how "tolerant" they were of social mores, race, sexual orientation, etc, but their tolerance did not extend to people who expressed faith in any non-secular institution. When I pointed this out, they were not pleased to put it mildly. =)

I've been posting and reading the responses, and I agree with your assessment: for the most part the users here do approach things philosophically and in a tolerant, rational way. =)

It's nice to be on board.

Khethil

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:21 am
@OctoberMist,
Welcome aboard!

We sound to have somewhat similar backgrounds. I too got my start in the old BBS's and ran one for a number of years. Its amazing how quickly BBS's fell off when the internet became popular. I really liked that small-community feel.

OctoberMist wrote:
My big issue was that the majority of these people were quick to speak of how "tolerant" they were of social mores, race, sexual orientation, etc, but their tolerance did not extend to people who expressed faith in any non-secular institution. When I pointed this out, they were not pleased to put it mildly. =)

Yea, there's a lot that here too; probably everywhere where such discussions take place. I'm guessing we *want* to be tolerant, but buttons get pushed, emotions short-circuit the process, etc.

OctoberMist wrote:
I look forward to meeting the rest of you, getting to know you & learning about your views and experiences. Thanks for the opportunity to grow and learn with you.

Likewise. Thanks for posting this, very nice intro!

boagie

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:43 am
@Khethil,
OctoberMist,Smile

Welcome aboard the good ship philosophy forum, settle in and make yourself comfortable, and thanks for the super intro. See you on the boards!! boagie

OctoberMist

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:48 am
@Khethil,
Khethil said:

Quote:

We sound to have somewhat similar backgrounds. I too got my start in the old BBS's and ran one for a number of years. Its amazing how quickly BBS's fell off when the internet became popular. I really liked that small-community feel.
Yeah, it's too bad that the scene went away. It was inevitable, but still I liked the small-community feeling as well. We used to have a lot of GT's and everyone got to meet everyone else in the scene. That was a nice touch. Also, it resolved a lot of conlicts: it's one thing to slam someone on a message base, but when you can actually meet them and get to know them (usually over a drink), it tends to make future contact more relaxed.

Quote:

Yea, there's a lot that here too; probably everywhere where such discussions take place. I'm guessing we *want* to be tolerant, but buttons get pushed, emotions short-circuit the process, etc.
I've seen some of it already, but I have to say that having good moderation here seems to make a big difference.

Quote:

Thanks for posting this, very nice intro!
Right on. Thanks for the welcome. =)

OctoberMist

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:23 am
@boagie,
boagie,

Thanks for the welcome. =)

Khethil

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:30 am
@OctoberMist,
OctoberMist wrote:
... We used to have a lot of GT's and everyone got to meet everyone else in the scene. That was a nice touch. Also, it resolved a lot of conlicts: it's one thing to slam someone on a message base, but when you can actually meet them and get to know them (usually over a drink), it tends to make future contact more relaxed.

Yes! Yes... when confronted face-to-face, people suddenly became pals; communication later flowed so much more freely, a sense of "oneness" emerged. Oh gosh, good good memories... although I must admit, some of them I don't remember so good Surprised

I see this same effect when members our my online gaming guild to real world Get-Togethers (about once a year or so - even took a cruise a few years back). I'd actually thought to suggest something like this to Justin, but decided not to say anything lest I inadvertently add to his already-high workload in maintaining this happy home.

shhhh!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » The Roads and The Days
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 02:40:37