Philosopher with the coolest name

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

de budding

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:42 am
@Aphoric,
I'd like to say that giving your child an intentionally 'difficult' and obscure name is on par with piercing your baby's ears, or christening them. Your child-to-be can change his name when he is older; you can make sure he/she knows he can and understands why you thought it would have been good to give him a crazy name when he (or she) was first born. Maybe your future offspring will jump at the idea and you can pick one together, but don't force him/her before he can make such an odd-ball decision, like having a name which is intentionally difficult and rare, before she/he can make it themselves.
Dan.

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 01:25 pm
@Aphoric,
I have a pretty rare name--although not as rare as a Greek name would be--and it didn't cause any grief after I got over the idea that I needed to be just like all the other children. Not to mention a name is only a name. I appreciate my name, because it isn't John, James, Paul, Michael etc. It also helps people remember who you are when you have an atypical name.

Aedes

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:07 pm
@Aphoric,
Clitophon, hands down.

Jazzman phil

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 05:44 am
@Aphoric,
Actually I think the german philosophers have the coolest names :cool:

Theodor Wiesengrund-Adorno
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Soeren Kierkegaard (okay, he's danish)

kennethamy

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:17 am
@Aphoric,
Aphoric wrote:
Who do you think had the coolest name?

I've decided I'm probably going to name my kid(s) after an ancient Greek philosopher. Well, probably an ancient Greek philosopher. Their names were just so badass.

So far some of my favorite names are Anaximenes, Theophrastus, and Maimonides.

Either that or Thelonius, just because that name has so much freaking potential.

I also thought it'd be cool to throughout the course of my life develop a bunch of crazy dense cryptic philosophies of my own, impart their meanings to my kid and name him Simplicius. That'd be kind of weird and selfish though, i guess.

The late, John Wisdom, and his cousin, the late, J.O. Wisdom: and the late, J.C.C. Smart, an Australian.
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Ennui phil

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 07:04 am
@Aphoric,
John Locke induced me to conceive of John in addition to a lock,which epitomize an aegis,like the lock on John.

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 09:39 am
@Jazzman phil,
Jazzman wrote:
Actually I think the german philosophers have the coolest names :cool:

Theodor Wiesengrund-Adorno
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Soeren Kierkegaard (okay, he's danish)

What about Immanuel Kant? Ok I know he's prussian, but even so. Thats a great name for a philospopher and a stage magician!

Bonaventurian

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 03:26 pm
@Aphoric,
Anaximander.

Xenophanes?

Marcus Aurelius, maybe?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 09:23:59