Global Harmony

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Age of Enlightenment
  3. » Global Harmony

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

William

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 12:03 pm
Would you be willing to sacrifice to achieve GLOBAL HARMONY?

Thank's for your thoughts,

William

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:36 pm
@William,
What would I be willing to sacrifice or would I be willing to sacrifice? I am unsure which you are asking.

ariciunervos

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:37 pm
@TickTockMan,
Does it even matter ? The answer is No/Nothing anyway.

William

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:23 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
What would I be willing to sacrifice or would I be willing to sacrifice? I am unsure which you are asking.

Sorry, if it was confusing. Would you be willing to sacrifice what you have to achieve global harmony? It is a bit of a loaded question, so be careful. IMO.

William

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:40 pm
@William,
William;26293 wrote:
Sorry, if it was confusing. Would you be willing to sacrifice what you have to achieve global harmony? It is a bit of a loaded question, so be careful. IMO.

William

I am not my possessions.

-------------------
"The things you own, end up owning you." --Tyler Durden

William

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:49 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
I am not my possessions.

-------------------
"The things you own, end up owning you." --Tyler Durden

TTM and ARI,

Let's Let a few more toss in their ideas and then we can discuss what the question, IMO, truly means.
Thanks,
William

ariciunervos

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 03:06 pm
@William,
The Buddhist monks don't see it as they are forced to conform or that they lose their individuality when they shave their head and wear the same robes of the same colour the others do. Why ? Because these things, ultimately, don't matter. How many people see things this way ?

William

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 05:29 pm
@William,
William wrote:
Would you be willing to sacrifice to achieve GOLBAL HARMONY?

Thank's for your thoughts,

William

Now I must apologize for asking a question for which there is no definition: Global Harmony. It doesn't exist and now that I think about it, it's for good reason. We have never experienced anything in our existence that comes close to it. Not by a long shot. So what I have done is devised my own by coupling the two definitions of "Global" and "Harmony" together. What do you think. Do you think my definition sums it up. Please feel free to offer you own, and change mine if you feel you have an idea that would be more appropriate. Once we can arrive on a consensus, then we can discuss if it is worth sacrificing for.

"A worldwide balance, symmetry and accord between all the inhabitants of the planet Earth to insure maximum utilization of all the resources the Earth has to offer including those individual talent's , skill's, labor and knowledge creating a life to be enjoyed by all".

Sorry for the mistake. I had no idea "World Harmony" had never been addressed in any context as it relates to someone having at least an idea of what that would entail to achieve such a state.

William

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 06:06 pm
@William,
William;26319 wrote:
"A worldwide balance, symmetry and accord between all the inhabitants of the planet Earth to insure maximum utilization of all the resources the Earth has to offer including those individual talent's , skill's, labor and knowledge creating a life to be enjoyed by all".

I like your idea, William, but this sounds too much like a corporate Mission Statement for me to feel comfortable with. Corporations I've worked for in the past are pretty keen to have everyone buy into the Mission Statement. Those who don't buy in often find themselves (if I may use the corporate vernacular) "leaving the company to pursue other interests."

Respectfully,
Tock

William

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:20 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
I like your idea, William, but this sounds too much like a corporate Mission Statement for me to feel comfortable with. Corporations I've worked for in the past are pretty keen to have everyone buy into the Mission Statement. Those who don't buy in often find themselves (if I may use the corporate vernacular) "leaving the company to pursue other interests."

Respectfully,
Tock

Yeah, your right. I'll work on it.

William

holyskiver

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:25 pm
@William,
Before we can answer the question 'what would we sacrifice for harmony', we have to have a clear idea of what causes discordance in humanity? Selfishness perhaps?

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 11:22 pm
@William,
William;26334 wrote:
Yeah, your right. I'll work on it.

William

William, you should consider making an exploration of Taoist philosophy.
Many of the ideas you have presented (particularly harmony and balance, fair treatment of others, etc.) are deeply explored in its writings. . . more than 2000 years ago.

I'd recommend Lao Tzu's "Tao-teh-Ching" to start. There are about a zillion translations of the work, but my favorite, so far, is the translation by John C. H. Wu. Amazon.com: Tao Teh Ching: Lao Tzu, John C.H. Wu: Books

Do me a favor, and at least take a peek at it. I found some of its ideas to be literally life-changing. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary....

Namaste,
Tock

William

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:49 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
William, you should consider making an exploration of Taoist philosophy.
Many of the ideas you have presented (particularly harmony and balance, fair treatment of others, etc.) are deeply explored in its writings. . . more than 2000 years ago.

I'd recommend Lao Tzu's "Tao-teh-Ching" to start. There are about a zillion translations of the work, but my favorite, so far, is the translation by John C. H. Wu. Amazon.com: Tao Teh Ching: Lao Tzu, John C.H. Wu: Books

Do me a favor, and at least take a peek at it. I found some of its ideas to be literally life-changing. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary....

Namaste,
Tock

Thank you TTM, for you contribution. If it is your concern as it relates to aiding me in finding a peace to my life and like thought to comfort me, I so very much appreciate that kind gesture. Much of what I espouse can be found in the thoughts of Eastern philosophy. As they also can be found in all tenets that represent the thoughts of mankind. For those who find solace in the philosophy and wisdom of the East you are indeed fortunate if they can find the discipline it takes to maintain that peace in this reality we call life.

The Eastern mind, in that it equates "suffering" as an integral part of life is a tenet I refuse to accept. Nevertheless it does offer a peace amid all the chaos, and for that it most assuredly has it purpose and thank God it exist's as I am sure it is meant to be. But to assume "suffering" is part of life, I will never acclimate to. Never. The only suffering I care to experience is that often perplexing enigma of what the dryer did with the mate to this sock. Ha. That's about it.

Other than that, suffering, as far as I am concerned is not a polarity of the nature that drives the universe. No way, no how. So to assume it is something we must endure for us to appreciate what the good life has to offer is a load of hogwash. Yes, there are "negatives" that point us to the positives of life, but suffering has nothing to do with that. Man caused suffering, and it will be incumbent on man to end it. It will only come as a collective effort of all.

For a moment if you will, imagine you are an egg, and I am water, across the street is wheat, and down the road it leavening, followed closely by fire and then that little bit of salt brings up the rear. Now individually they have their own properties, characteristic's, flavors, uses, and taste's. Now using them together we create "bread". Mankind is no different and there is only one way for all the ingredients to cooperate together and that is aligning to that "core" from which they all come. Just as we make that bread that gives us nourishment, that "core" creates that "bread"we call life, that uses us, "those ingredient's", to guide and define that life.

Now I know this sounds like it come's from a religious structure, but we cannot dismiss the wisdom that can be derived from it as we cannot ignore that we get from those interpretations we get from the East, or from the Hindu, or the family, or individual's knowledge, or individual's experience, or the individual's talent's, or the individual's labor, or ignore their willingness to participate in life no matter how small the contribution may be.

The problem we have existing in this reality is power takes the bread and uses it to control us, rather than nourish us. It's time we shared the bread that is life or we will all starve to death.
William

Joe

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:03 am
@William,
Hey William
you might be interested in a book named "Were All Doing Time" written by a man named Bo Lozoff. I think your outlook on life is all over the pages written in his book. He is also the director of The Human Kindness Foundation.

boagie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 12:17 pm
@William,
Hi everyone,Smile

Global harmony is not even a realistic premise, the world, nature itself is strife filled. You might work to calm strife in a given context and accquire a degree of sucess, but it is in a sense swimming up stream. Sooner or later your energy will fail and nature will continue on her strife filled way. We as humanity might learn from our own biology, the body is constantly set upon by stife causing agents. We develop an immune system, kind of like the the police department of the body, will there ever be a crime free world/society where the immune system of society is unnecessary, not going to happen, I might answer the question about sacrificing for world peace if I where in a beauty contest, you would not want to see that.

William

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 02:29 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Hi everyone,Smile

Global harmony is not even a realistic premise, the world, nature itself is strife filled. You might work to calm strife in a given context and accquire a degree of sucess, but it is in a sense swimming up stream. Sooner or later your energy will fail and nature will continue on her strife filled way. We as humanity might learn from our own biology, the body is constantly set upon by stife causing agents. We develop an immune system, kind of like the the police department of the body, will there ever be a crime free world/society where the immune system of society is unnecessary, not going to happen, I might answer the question about sacrificing for world peace if I where in a beauty contest, you would not want to see that.

So, what you are saying "harmony" is not a part of a "universal" construct at least as far as we, mankind, is concerned? Right?

William

boagie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 02:47 pm
@William,
William wrote:
So, what you are saying "harmony" is not a part of a "universal" construct at least as far as we, mankind, is concerned? Right? William

William,Smile

What I am saying is that strife is part of the deal, just as pain is part of life, there can be harmony to a degree, but if you look at your own biology you will realize it is a constent effort, your immune system is constently at work protecting the well being of the body. Life is struggle is it not. One might as well try to still the ocean winds, the art of it may come in harnessing strife, as the sail does those ocean winds. Again if you look at your own biology, harmony is under constant assault.

William

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 04:22 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
William,Smile

What I am saying is that strife is part of the deal, just as pain is part of life, there can be harmony to a degree, but if you look at your own biology you will realize it is a constent effort, your immune system is constently at work protecting the well being of the body. Life is struggle is it not. One might as well try to still the ocean winds, the art of it may come in harnessing strife, as the sail does those ocean winds. Again if you look at your own biology, harmony is under constant assault.

I agree in your arriving at that summation judging from our past. Are we to preclude it is out of our hands and to just endure? To me that seems defeatist forcing an acquiescence bordering on complete helplessness. I hear what you are saying, it's just I can see the reasons why stirfe can be construed as a requiste for life as I can also see the cause of such strife and can visualize a way much of it can be eliminated.

As far as our biology and how the body functions, the mind has a tremendous role in that function. Stife is definitely not condusive to it's proper operation. Harmony is not under assault, IMO, it has never existed where man is concerned and to assert that is a part of the human blue print and not holding ourselves to some degree accountable is naive at best.

Again, I do understand how you can make such an assertion. It is a "normal" one in fact. We have created a reality that has learned to survive strife. I just refuse to believe we, as a whole, cannot do anything about it. How bad does it have to get? See list. Ha.

William

boagie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 04:57 pm
@William,
Smile William,

I never said that nothing can be done about strife, that is what the immune system is about, that is what government is about, that is what many many institutions are about. Thinking you can have a world without strife is like believing you can have a life without pain. It is just a matter of being realistic. Hunger itself creates strife in the organism, the answer, life lives upon life, or life lives upon consuming itself, as the ouroborus symbolizes [ the snake consuming its own tail] is this not strife? It is not a defeatist attitude, it is looking realistically at what life is in relation to its world context. Hell gravity is strife, it keeps pulling down--lol!!

MJA

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 10:10 am
@William,
I don't think living in harmony with nature is a sacrifice,
But rather a love, a joy, a rapture, a pathway to health and happiness, the right Way, the just Way, or the equitably truest Way to live.
Oneness is the sweet music of infinite universal harmony,
The universe's ultimate freedom!

=
MJA

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Age of Enlightenment
  3. » Global Harmony
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:43:50