What's your favorite Myth?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

trismegisto

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:50 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I have always enjoyed the myth of Kicking Monster and Killer of Enemies.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 04:06 am
@trismegisto,
That basicly The Temple is no Church. :whistling:
Is it a Public Buiding ? *

Where in London can you find Mithras Temple ?

Any more local Myths to unravel coming Sunday ?

Which of the Crowns in The Tower has it's Original Stones ?
[CENTER]
:detective:
[/CENTER]
* Are U allowed to keep your hat on ?

Pepijn Sweep

Mister Carcer

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 10:46 am
@xris,
I have two favourite myths.

The first is the American one about their countries founding fathers. Give it a few hundred years and the Declaration of Independence will have been signed by a gang of time-travelling cyborg ninjas.

The other one is more a religious belief than a myth and its held by the Yanamamo. They believe in a kind of afterlife where bad people are punished and good people are rewarded. Pretty standard stuff. But the genius of the Yanamamo is it affects their life. Instead of worrying about living up to some ethical standards and being punished for all eternity if they fall short, the Yanamamo believe that the key to entering heaven is to lie about the bad things you did while you were alive. That's right, eternal paradise is only a few convincing lies away.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 01:59 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;149884 wrote:
That basicly The Temple is no Church. :whistling:
Is it a Public Buiding ? *

Where in London can you find Mithras Temple ?

Any more local Myths to unravel coming Sunday, Monday or Tuesday ?

Which of the Crowns in The Tower of London still has it's Original Gems and Pearls ? What Crowned heads rolled ?
[CENTER]
:looking:

[/CENTER]
* Are U allowed to keep your hat on ?

Pepijn Sweep

Can any-one give clues what is nice to do on Sunday. Mass with the Tempeliers, to Court, to the Tower and fake crowns and clowns...

trismegisto

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:02 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;150018 wrote:
Can any-one give clues what is nice to do on Sunday. Mass with the Tempeliers, to Court, to the Tower and fake crowns and clowns...

If you can figure out how to get a reader's pass go to the Warburg Institute Library. There is none other like it.

If it is a little bit nice out Speaker's Corner is always fun. There many be an evening lecture at the Theosophical Society.

Of course, if you want mysteries to be revealed, go stare into the eyes of Luohan at the British Museum.

trismegisto

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 11:20 am
@trismegisto,
Apparently this is the only way to replay to you.

Pepijn Sweep wrote:
Thank U 4 responding to my question about interesting things to do on a Sunday in London. Since I did not get your message till Monday I ended up cirkling the Temple and the Courts.

I was surprised U responded so nicely; not what I was used to from U. I still wonder why... On one hand it is good to know you are more than just abusive, on the other hand I wished you would respect my friends on the Forum as well.

For many of US the Forum is also about social contacts, something U do not seem to value much. I think U are smart as hell, but lack interest in the feelings of people on the Forum. I think it is interesting to get to know U better, so do others.

It would be a shame when U would get banned or something like that. I can't help but wonder if U behave the same in real life. Anyway I hope things change because your behaviour is not pleasant for me and others.

Hermes Trismegistus is a major source of pleasure for me; strange to have this situation. I am not posting this, hoping U can appreciate the personal approach. Now it's Time to take my medication because I turning way to compassionate.

PS are U really traveling ? I am too.
Now Manchester. Enigma...

To put it simply, if you want to go to war, then I will take you to war.

I am completely civil to everyone that is respectful of me, but the moment ANYONE attempts to insult or abuse me, then I unleash hell on them until they are destroyed.

It actually works quite well, now that all the trolls know that they cannot win an insult war against me, I get nothing but respectful replies to my posts.

I just have to weed out the idiots from the philosophers.

So, as long as you remain civil and lucid we have no issues.

Since you are so into the Templars on your way back to London you should stop by the Templar Village of Baldock. The whole village is strewn with Templar caves, very mysterious stuff.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:03 pm
@trismegisto,
trismegisto;152360 wrote:
Apparently this is the only way to replay to you.

To put it simply, if you want to go to war, then I will take you to war.

I am completely civil to everyone that is respectful of me, but the moment ANYONE attempts to insult or abuse me, then I unleash hell on them until they are destroyed.

It actually works quite well, now that all the trolls know that they cannot win an insult war against me, I get nothing but respectful replies to my posts.

I just have to weed out the idiots from the philosophers.

So, as long as you remain civil and lucid we have no issues.

Since you are so into the Templars on your way back to London you should stop by the Templar Village of Baldock. The whole village is strewn with Templar caves, very mysterious stuff.

I would love to go to war, but not against U but with you. I am neither an idiot or a philosopher. I was trained to be a leader, a manager of business and an officer of the Law. Machiavelli is one of my favourite writers, Astarte goddess of Love & War is among my favourite deities.

I thought I sent you a private message but obviously it did not work. I will try to add U as a contact, so we can exchange messages if you want. Do not take every word to personal. It makes communications so difficult. People on the Forum usually try to be nice to eachother. It makes it easier for every-one.:a-ok:

trismegisto

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:47 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;152502 wrote:
I would love to go to war, but not against U but with you. I am neither an idiot or a philosopher. I was trained to be a leader, a manager of business and an officer of the Law. Machiavelli is one of my favourite writers, Astarte goddess of Love & War is among my favourite deities.

I thought I sent you a private message but obviously it did not work. I will try to add U as a contact, so we can exchange messages if you want. Do not take every word to personal. It makes communications so difficult. People on the Forum usually try to be nice to eachother. It makes it easier for every-one.:a-ok:

If you like Machiavelli have you read the Sirr Al Asrar?
Its pretty good, too.

SamTHorn phil

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 01:01 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I very much enjoy that myth. Thanks for the share, I've never read that particular article before.

~ Sam

VideCorSpoon;76555 wrote:

When I typically think about myths, I think about Gods, hero's, and other beings in primordial, ancient, or even an alternate worlds altogether. Usually, these myths seem to underline some type of popular conception of a particular societies view of the world as well as the values that society embraces. But what I find interesting is that myths in particular have an ontological quality to them. In other words, they establish the origins of the norms, rituals, and codes a society lives by and attempt to explain them to in the best and possibly the most plausible way possible. Think about "the founding fathers" in American revolutionary lore. Same thing.

But myths just aren't myths in themselves. Myths take on a wide degree of forms. I personally believe that ontological aspects of a myth (finding the primacy of a given trait in society like in the epic of Gilgamesh) are very prevalent. But myths work in other ways as well, like forming the foundations of social myths (like the roles of a "good" woman or a "dishonorable man like in the story of Cranae of Athens), exemplifying the dichotomy of good and evil in the form of warriors and villains (like Odysseus and the suitors), and even go so far as explain the ultimate destiny of the world (like the Norse conception of Ragnarok).
preferably an old and established myth).

Mine is the story of Romulus and Remusrepublicanhttp://i30.tinypic.com/akhu.jpg

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:18 pm
@SamTHorn phil,
I'm glad you like the myth. If you like that, you may like this article from BBCnews.com. It discusses the recent (2007) discovery of the Lupercal, which was essentially the cave where Romulus and Remus were nursed by the she wolf. Very interesting read.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Digging into the myths of Rome

I also took some very well said comments on history and myth I think everyone may enjoy;

BBC;152948 wrote:

"In all myths there is a purpose and a rationale, even though the particular story may not be true," said archaeologist Miranda Aldhouse-Green, of Cardiff University.

BBC;152948 wrote:
A myth, she said, could often spark a search for a truth.

"In many cases, the myths that have come down to us have generated archaeological investigation," she said.

Myths woven around a site could encourage people to build above it, leading to layers of history and mythology in a single, culturally important place, she explained.

"In pre-history you will find reoccupation of a site over time because a site has a certain sanctity, for example. In the Roman period, a temple is built to venerate an ancestor but also because the site has gained the reputation for being sacred."

SamTHorn phil

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:33 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Wow that is a great read. Thinks for the share.

~ Sam

VideCorSpoon;152948 wrote:
I'm glad you like the myth. If you like that, you may like this article from BBCnews.com. It discusses the recent (2007) discovery of the Lupercal, which was essentially the cave where Romulus and Remus were nursed by the she wolf. Very interesting read.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Digging into the myths of Rome

I also took some very well said comments on history and myth I think everyone may enjoy;

Marat phil

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:20 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
The Hands Resist Him - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Deckard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:46 pm
@Marat phil,
The myth of the general strike.

prothero

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:22 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
The one about god, life after death and final justice.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:39 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
My favorite is Orpheus and Euridice, which makes such a cogent case for self-control. My least favorite (in fact the one I hate most) is The Matrix which is low nonsense.

Extrain

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:41 pm
@prothero,
Quote:

Buddhism.

Truly. I sincerely like reading it, but don't exactly agree with everything.

But I wonder why the Christian Myth is Prothero's favorite since he disagrees with it so staunchly. Strange.

---------- Post added 04-24-2010 at 11:45 PM ----------

kennethamy;156282 wrote:
My favorite is Orpheus and Euridice, which makes such a cogent case for self-control. My least favorite (in fact the one I hate most) is The Matrix which is low nonsense.

aww....come on. The Matrix is cheese, yes. But I just about jumped out of my seat after Neo took the red pill. I didn't know whatsoever I was in for Descartes' big surprise, since I hadn't seen any prior trailers of the movie before I actually saw it.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:46 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;156285 wrote:
Buddhism.

Truly. I sincerely like reading it, but don't exactly agree with everything.

But I wonder why the Christian Myth is Prothero's favorite since he disagrees with it so staunchly. Strange.

---------- Post added 04-24-2010 at 11:45 PM ----------

aww....come on. The Matrix is cheese, yes. But I just about jumped out of my seat after Neo took the red pill. I didn't know I was in for Descartes' big surprise!

Oh, I don't mean the film. I never saw it.

prothero

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:47 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;156285 wrote:

Well I believe in God just not the same one you appear to.
I also hope for life after death although it seems unlikely to me.
I also hope for the final triumph of justice, and of good over evil.
That is what faith is for me hope. I lack the certainty of some others.
And I did not mention the Chrisitan myth specifically; those hopes are common to many religions and to many myths.:listening:

Extrain

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156290 wrote:
Oh, I don't mean the film. I never saw it.

I must be living in a box (or the matrix with a glitch in its program). I imagine there's a book The Matrix, yes?

---------- Post added 04-24-2010 at 11:51 PM ----------

prothero;156291 wrote:
Well I believe in God just not the same one you appear to.
I also hope for life after death although it seems unlikely to me.
I also hope for the final triumph of justice, and of good over evil.
That is what faith is for me hope. I lack the certainty of some others.
And I did not mention the Chrisitan myth specifically; those hopes are common to many religions and to many myths.:listening:

Still, I just find it very telling that sort of myth is your favorite since that's exactly how I came to it at 25 years old after tinkering around with the East for too long...:listening:

And you said in previous posts we all believed in the same Divine Being, just different aspects of it...Are you recanting now?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:56 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;156292 wrote:
I must be living in a box (or the matrix with a glitch in its program). I imagine there's a book The Matrix, yes?

---------- Post added 04-24-2010 at 11:51 PM ----------

Search me. ........It was enough to read another modern variant (the brain in the vat).

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:04:38