Why He Broke up with Regina

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Søren Kierkegaard
  3. » Why He Broke up with Regina

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 02:07 am
was it that:

A: when she spoke literally he went figuratively? and vice versa until neither understood each other?
B: He was embarrassed he knew instantly he loved her and she had to think about it?
C: The terrible thought that she actually cared about the money he had.
D: Realized what Diotoma told Socrates about Love ... and saw it in actuality?
E: Believed everything she said, whether it meant anything or not, until this chattering contradicted itself?
F: All of the above
G: Something else entirely.
H: I'll ask him thank you very much!

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 12:01 pm
@Judges-Vs-Poets,
Is this supposed to be a poll? There is a poll function.
I have no idea why he broke with her, but having experienced some of these reasons personally I would think that any of them would be a valid reason to do so.

Victor Eremita

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 09:41 pm
@Judges-Vs-Poets,
Honestly, we can't know why he broke up with her, but I like to think that even though it turned out like that, somewhere out there, Kierkegaard still loves Regine.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 06:09 pm
@Victor Eremita,
You should write a musical about it Victor

Judges-Vs-Poets

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 09:02 pm
@GoshisDead,
"Had I not honoured her above myself, as my future wife, had I not been prouder of her honour than of mine, then I should have remained silent and have fulfilled her desire and mine, and have been married to her ..."

Some people are like that.

mh1693a

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 11:18 am
@Judges-Vs-Poets,
Kierkegaard had said that he felt he was already "married to God" and thought if he married Regine it would take him away from that relationship. I've been to the Kierkegaard exhibit at the Copenhagen City Museum and they had the engagement ring he gave her on display. After he broke off the engagement he had the stones reset into the shape of a cross. He wore the ring on a necklace around his neck for the rest of his life. Many say his book entitled Repetition is in reference to her. Its main themes being about relationships, the desire to repeat the past, and recollection. In the book the young man leaves his lover because he believes he can recollect her imaginatively, in his idealized form.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 11:42 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;100135 wrote:
Is this supposed to be a poll? There is a poll function.
I have no idea why he broke with her, but having experienced some of these reasons personally I would think that any of them would be a valid reason to do so.

I would wonder what Regina looked like.

mh1693a

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 11:50 am
@kennethamy,
http://dgvcfaspring10.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/regine_olsen.jpg

that's what she looked like

kennethamy

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 11:55 am
@mh1693a,
mh1693a;162172 wrote:

Thank you. Yes, well, he was no Adonis himself.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Søren Kierkegaard
  3. » Why He Broke up with Regina
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 07:25:10