Ayn Rand

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:32 am
@RDanneskjld,
nicodemus wrote:
please understand that that was the only way to get through to people in the seventies, you couldn't just make pure and absolute allegories out of characters, you had to make them more in the fashion of greek gods.

What? Are we making things up about the 70's?

nicodemus wrote:
If that is selfish, than so is nature. In nature, you will never see an animal such as a bear share food withanything but its young. Wolves do, but thats another survival mechanism and it allows a relatively small hunter to overcome larger prey.

How can "nature" be selfish or selfless? That's a human quality. We might say that nature is selfish or selfless, but that is only a figure of speech. It's called personification.

nicodemus wrote:
So if you count selfishness and greed as amoral off the bat, of course you are going to dislike her.

It is one thing to disagree, and another to dislike. For example, I disagree with Nietzsche, but I recommend his books.

nicodemus wrote:
And arent you dismissing her offhand after admitting that you dont need to read her works to know her philosophy is trash.

In my case, I've read most of her work. I recommend that others do not read her work because I know better from experience.

nicodemus wrote:
Sure, her books aren't geared towards the academic. they stand on a middle ground, to academic for the common, too common for the academics. this was her one fault, but the philosophy remains the same, advance, thrive, dont be a parasite, dont tolerate parasites, live

You might want to double check this part, friend. Her philosophy is overtly elitist - she says so. Her's is not for the common man, but for the self-styled, romantic egoist.

Funny, though, that she was nothing but a parasite.

R.Danneskjöld wrote:

Just quite how Rand is being blamed for the current economic crisis I dont know,

She is part of the vast equation given her influence.

R.Danneskjöld wrote:
I would never reccomend that someone shouldnt read a book that has been hugely influential as some of Rand's work. It has been especially influential to the Libertarian movement in the US, even with Rand's condemnation of Libertarianism movement. Her work certainly has value even if the value lay's in the History of Idea's

You make a good point. However, consider this: a friend of yours is in the book store looking for something to read. This friend picks up two texts, Don Quixote and Atlas Shrugged, and seems to be favoring Atlas. What do you say to your friend?
If you care for that friend, you advise him to avoid Rand and read something decent.

MJA

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:05 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
What? Are we making things up about the 70's?

How can "nature" be selfish or selfless? That's a human quality. We might say that nature is selfish or selfless, but that is only a figure of speech. It's called personification.

It is one thing to disagree, and another to dislike. For example, I disagree with Nietzsche, but I recommend his books.

In my case, I've read most of her work. I recommend that others do not read her work because I know better from experience.

You might want to double check this part, friend. Her philosophy is overtly elitist - she says so. Her's is not for the common man, but for the self-styled, romantic egoist.

Funny, though, that she was nothing but a parasite.

She is part of the vast equation given her influence.

You make a good point. However, consider this: a friend of yours is in the book store looking for something to read. This friend picks up two texts, Don Quixote and Atlas Shrugged, and seems to be favoring Atlas. What do you say to your friend?
If you care for that friend, you advise him to avoid Rand and read something decent.

I wonder if you would have displayed such great passion for or against Ms Rand if you hadn't read her books as you so recommend.

And regarding nature's selfish nature, mankind is nature too. Thusly mankinds' selfesh nature is naturally natures' as well.
Agreed?

=
MJA

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:18 pm
@MJA,
MJA wrote:
I wonder if you would have displayed such great passion for or against Ms Rand if you hadn't read her books as you so recommend.

I recommend that people not waste their time reading Rand. And of course this recommendation follows from my reading of Rand - otherwise I would have no idea what I'm talking about. My point is that even talking about Rand is either pointless or destructive (except in the case of suggesting that Rand not be read), hence my assertion that her work should not be read in the first place.

MJA;43041[SIZE=85 wrote:
And regarding nature's selfish nature, mankind is nature too. Thusly mankinds' selfesh nature is naturally natures' as well.[/SIZE]
Agreed?

No. Man is not nature, but an aspect of the natural world. The qualities of man are not the qualities of all nature. Man's consciousness is what sets him apart from the rest of nature; that consciousness gives man qualities like selfish and angry. To describe non-human-nature in human terms is personification at best, only a figure of speech.

Seriously, friends: read a decent book, not Rand.

nicodemus

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:16 am
@nicodemus,
saying rand is responsible for todays mismanagement is like saying hitler is responsible for mel gibson's outbursts

and elitist though she may be, she tries to convert people, a modern day gospel of wealth minus the charity. And animals can certainly be described as selfish, i see no reason why not, being concerned with number one is not an exclusive priviledge for humanity

and in answer to your question, i would tell them to make their own choice, but recomend rand. Millions of people fell in love with the harry potter books, i advised against them, but people need the chance to make their own descisions about what they imbibe

MJA

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 12:16 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

No. Man is not nature, but an aspect of the natural world.

quote]

What?

And regarding Ms. Rand,
I believe that the reason for the deeply sided or divided passions that one gets from her are from her equally sided knowledge of profound wisdom while at the same time her incomplete capacity to handle or attempts to control what simply is. That love hate relationship One sees on this forum alone is simply a display of emotion for the love of wisdom or truth and at the same time an equal abhoration for her feeble attempts to deal with the power of it All. What she does with truth is at issue with me too.
But she knew and tried, and I for One have great admiration for her, and for that. If you were handed the power of the universe, how would you or anyone handle it?
In retrospect if One ever does find the truth it probably best to simply let it Be. And at the very most, simply be.
True.

=
MJA

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 02:02 pm
@nicodemus,
Now if Ayn Rand had any sort of academic integrity I could at least respect her for her accomplishments. The way she went about her business though is more than enough to discredit "legacy". Rand was a fraud plain and simple.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:38 pm
@Theaetetus,
nicodemus wrote:
saying rand is responsible for todays mismanagement is like saying hitler is responsible for mel gibson's outbursts

Except that no one says that Rand is the only one responsible - only that she has some influence in the matter. Just as Hitler definitely has some influence on modern antisemitism.

nicodemus wrote:
and elitist though she may be, she tries to convert people, a modern day gospel of wealth minus the charity. And animals can certainly be described as selfish, i see no reason why not, being concerned with number one is not an exclusive priviledge for humanity

Non-human animals can be described in human terms - it's called personification. However, personification is just a figure of speech. Non-human animals cannot be selfish/selfless because non-human animals do not have human motivation; selfish/selfless is all about motivation - intent.

nicodemus wrote:
and in answer to your question, i would tell them to make their own choice, but recomend rand. Millions of people fell in love with the harry potter books, i advised against them, but people need the chance to make their own descisions about what they imbibe

So you would recommend Rand over classics such as Crime and Punishment and Don Quixote? Have you read the two classics in question?
Sure, people need to make their own decisions, but our decisions influence the decisions of others; it's the power of example. I would suggest that a positive example is preferable to a negative example.

MJA

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:27 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

So you would recommend Rand over classics such as Crime and Punishment and Don Quixote? Have you read the two classics in question?
Sure, people need to make their own decisions, but our decisions influence the decisions of others; it's the power of example. I would suggest that a positive example is preferable to a negative example.

I could never finish Cervantes' book although I tried several times. But as for 'The Fountainhead' I wish there was more.
I think I'll be reading some more Ayn Rand.

=
MJA

&

Reading made Don Quixote a gentleman. Believing what he read made him mad.
-
George Bernard Shaw

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:05 am
@RDanneskjld,
R.Danneskjöld wrote:

Just quite how Rand is being blamed for the current economic crisis I dont know,
I would never reccomend that someone shouldnt read a book that has been hugely influential as some of Rand's work. It has been especially influential to the Libertarian movement in the US, even with Rand's condemnation of Libertarianism movement. Her work certainly has value even if the value lay's in the History of Idea's

I know many libertarians would disagree with me on this, but I think Rands effect on libertarianism has been minimal. I think she primarily preaches to the converted and gives a very poor impression to the opponents of libertarianism.

That is the way with Rand. Reading Rand is kinda like reading the bible, those who wish to believe the ideas she is trying to support cling to it. Those who have no desire to believe such ideas find it horribly shallow and cannot understand others devotion.

Even as a libertarian, free-marketeer, and egoist, I fall into the latter group.

hammersklavier

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:14 am
@Didymos Thomas,
I read some Rand myself and I find her philosophy easy to dismiss.

Consider this paradox: You find yourself in a love triangle. In order to secure the affections of your lover, which is of course what you want to do, you must eliminate your rival. How to do that? The greatest virtue, of course, according to Objectivism is to act in the most self-centric way possible; the action that must necessarily result from this situation is that you would murder your rival. In other words, from what I understand of Randianism, murder can in fact be ethically justified.

Since murder--the calculated destruction of one human being by another--is, we can all agree, one of the greatest unethical acts, sine qua non, Ayn Rand has enshrined the blatantly unethical as ethical. In other words, Objectivism allows its practitioners to say no matter how societally ill-advised their actions are, they are in the right because the action met their own ends. And since the function of society is to allow many people, each with their own ends, to coexist on a mutally-agreed playing field, the fact that everybody in an Objectivist society would be pursuing their own ends regardless of the consequences inflicted upon others would inevitably result in the collapse of said society--

In other words, Objectivist ethics are not a creative or maintaining force, but rather a destructive one, and for that reason, I find it ethically repugnant.

JLP

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:23 pm
@hammersklavier,
hammersklavier wrote:

Consider this paradox: You find yourself in a love triangle. In order to secure the affections of your lover, which is of course what you want to do, you must eliminate your rival. How to do that? The greatest virtue, of course, according to Objectivism is to act in the most self-centric way possible; the action that must necessarily result from this situation is that you would murder your rival. In other words, from what I understand of Randianism, murder can in fact be ethically justified.

Since murder--the calculated destruction of one human being by another--is, we can all agree, one of the greatest unethical acts, sine qua non, Ayn Rand has enshrined the blatantly unethical as ethical. In other words, Objectivism allows its practitioners to say no matter how societally ill-advised their actions are, they are in the right because the action met their own ends. And since the function of society is to allow many people, each with their own ends, to coexist on a mutally-agreed playing field, the fact that everybody in an Objectivist society would be pursuing their own ends regardless of the consequences inflicted upon others would inevitably result in the collapse of said society--

Your assertion that murder somehow follows from this love triangle scenario constitutes an extreme leap in logic. There are better, tactful ways to dispatch with a rival suitor, and Objectivism would only uphold the selfish action of pursuing one's own interest over that of one's rival. Murder would be foolish, unnecessary, and obviously detrimental to one's personal freedom--the basis for all selfish indulgences.

I'm no advocate for the Objectivists. Indeed, I find them to be a depressing and humorless lot. Still, I am acquainted with Rand's work well enough to know that she does not justify irrational acts like murder for the advancement of self-interest.

JLP

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:39 pm
@JLP,
Following up with my previous rejoinder that murder is NOT an acceptable course of action under Objectivist ethics, here are some words from the horse's mouth:

"The basic political principle of the Objectivist ethics is: no man may initiate the use of physical force against others. No man-or group or society or government-has the right to assume the role of a criminal and initiate the use of physical compulsion against any man. Men have the right to use physical force
only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use."

[The Virtue of Selfishness, 32]

Zetherin

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 04:54 am
@JLP,
[quote=MJA]What?[/quote]

MJA, even if we consider man nature, we cannot then consider nature selfish, as "selfish" is an application of our human foibles. It is an attempt to personify an abstract notion. The creation and destruction that spawn from nature have no judgment, it is only in our thinking that creation and destruction are defined.

To Didy and Theaetetus:

Theaetetus, you're applying a ad hominem fallacy to the credibility of Rand's work. Her accomplishments and way of interaction should matter not; an idea should be considered just as any idea, not denounced based on emotion towards the author.

Didymos, I'm not certain I completely understand your thinking process behind advocating people stay far away from Rand's works. What about Rand's works makes her not worth reading? A classic can surely probe critical thinking, and may even prove more useful, but this is not necessarily so; in fact, I've discovered more practical use in modern age books such as "This is Not a Book" by Michael Picard than many classics. Hell, I even read the children's book "The Giving Tree" from some to time, and it has bestowed more knowledge upon me than many other longer reads. Surely we cannot say with certain any book, from any author, will benefit one greater than another. I feel you are applying value to text, to ideas, when value is subjective to each reader. To say the work is good or bad is but personal opinion, and it's absolutely fine to share this opinion, actually, no, I encourage it, but to then not allow another to come to their own conclusion seems absurd to me. Let others read the book, come to their own conclusions, and hey, maybe the consensus will agree with you, but they would have done so through their own evaluation, and not through word-of-mouth from another.

Imagine if Ayn were here right now in this forum. Do you think she would be treated with more respect? I think so. Know why? Because the same people that are here bashing her in some manner are the same people that openly allow others to share their ideas in this forum day after day. Perhaps we should apply this same value to others that aren't in our presence?

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:11 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Theaetetus, you're applying a ad hominem fallacy to the credibility of Rand's work. Her accomplishments and way of interaction should matter not; an idea should be considered just as any idea, not denounced based on emotion towards the author.

I realize that some of what I had said was an ad hominem fallacy, but Rand was a plagiarist and had no academic credibility or integrity (especially her nonfiction). I am attacking her character, but it is true so it is not a fallacy. A fallacy is only a fallacy in informal logic if its not true. Sure, she had some ideas, but many were lifted from others without acknowledging the source of the idea. Not to mention, the original poster asked for thoughts on the author Ayn Rand, not thoughts about her ideas.

The reason why I am emotional towards Rand's work in a negative way is because I would like my 100+ hours back that I spent reading Rand. I am just trying to do other people a favor, and direct them to the original thinkers that Rand ripped off instead.

Rand would probably be treated with more respect here on the forum, but with time I would have ignored her and her ideas much like I do with a few members on the board now. Bad ideas are bad ideas.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 01:22 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
I realize that some of what I had said was an ad hominem fallacy, but Rand was a plagiarist and had no academic credibility or integrity (especially her nonfiction). I am attacking her character, but it is true so it is not a fallacy. A fallacy is only a fallacy in informal logic if its not true. Sure, she had some ideas, but many were lifted from others without acknowledging the source of the idea. Not to mention, the original poster asked for thoughts on the author Ayn Rand, not thoughts about her ideas.

The reason why I am emotional towards Rand's work in a negative way is because I would like my 100+ hours back that I spent reading Rand. I am just trying to do other people a favor, and direct them to the original thinkers that Rand ripped off instead.

Rand would probably be treated with more respect here on the forum, but with time I would have ignored her and her ideas much like I do with a few members on the board now. Bad ideas are bad ideas.

The ad hominem fallacy is judging the idea based on character, source of idea, rather than addressing the substance of the idea itself. Therefore, even if what you say about her character is true, the direct judgment of her ideas based on her character is the fallacy. In other words, her character and philosophy should be completely separate in evaluation.

You're calling her ideas bad because they aren't completely original? I can't respond to the direct plagiarism, as I haven't read her books, but from the little I have read on her, I'm still a bit confused. Everyone is influenced one way or another from other ideas, so even though some of her philosophy isn't completely original, the culmination of the thoughts (a connection of the unoriginal ideas) is what makes it original (again, at least from what I've seen; I haven't read every other great author to verify if they come to an exact philosophy). I feel almost like Ayn Rand even making this post, as my notion of equality and consideration definitely isn't original, nor are many of the ideas I share. No, I don't directly plagiarize, but if I were to say I'm not influenced by other works that speak to me, I'd be lying.

All this aside, I truly believe you should let others come to their own conclusion rather than defacing her and telling people to stay away from the books.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 05:53 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin, that is a very thoughtful post. However, there are some issues.

I'm not denying anyone their own conclusions. Believe whatever you like. But when I'm presented with a nonsensical conclusion, I'm going to say something.

To say a book is good or bad is not all personal opinion. Personal opinion is I enjoyed/did not enjoy the book. To characterize a book as good or bad is literary criticism. I think I've given enough of that already. You ask what makes Rand not worth reading: go back and read the thread. Pages of reasons.

And if Rand were here, I'd give her no more respect. I imagine that in a few days she'd leave and never come back: you see, Rand was terribly arrogant and prideful. I imagine that, after having her silly arguments shredded by forum member after forum member, Rand would post a nasty message about how ignorant and irrational the members of this forum are and then she would never again sign onto the forum.

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:17 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
The ad hominem fallacy is judging the idea based on character, source of idea, rather than addressing the substance of the idea itself. Therefore, even if what you say about her character is true, the direct judgment of her ideas based on her character is the fallacy. In other words, her character and philosophy should be completely separate in evaluation.

Have you read any nonfiction by Rand? As Didy said she is arrogant and it comes across in her writing. Rand comes to hasty conclusions because rather than putting herself in a dialogue with other thinkers and different ideas, she jumps to one conclusion to the next with very little evidence to support her reasoning. This thread was about Ayn Rand the author, and thus, her character is relevant. Therefore, not a fallacy. Had the original poster asked to talk about Rand's ideas rather than Rand the author, then to bring up character would be a fallacy.

Zetherin wrote:

You're calling her ideas bad because they aren't completely original? I can't respond to the direct plagiarism, as I haven't read her books, but from the little I have read on her, I'm still a bit confused. Everyone is influenced one way or another from other ideas, so even though some of her philosophy isn't completely original, the culmination of the thoughts (a connection of the unoriginal ideas) is what makes it original (again, at least from what I've seen; I haven't read every other great author to verify if they come to an exact philosophy). I feel almost like Ayn Rand even making this post, as my notion of equality and consideration definitely isn't original, nor are many of the ideas I share. No, I don't directly plagiarize, but if I were to say I'm not influenced by other works that speak to me, I'd be lying.

In many ways I think Ayn Rand is one of the most original thinkers in the history of humanity. But that does not mean that her thinking is good. The only way you actually notice the plagarism is if you have studied thinkers like Aristotle, Locke, Nietzsche, and Kant. The later she doesn't plagarize, but instead demonizes and uses wrongly for her own devices. Kant may as well be the devil in Rand's world.

Zetherin wrote:

All this aside, I truly believe you should let others come to their own conclusion rather than defacing her and telling people to stay away from the books.

As a teacher, I agree with you on allowing others to form their own conclusions. But as a teacher I also realize from my own experience what will not help my students become better people. I recommend reading other things because I feel I totally wasted time. Why would I not recommend to others to not repeat my mistake. It is their ultimate choice to listen to me or not. But from my enlightened view, that is my main recommendation. Pick up other books and do not bother with Rand. With that aside though, Rand would not agree with you that people should come to their own conclusions, because her's are right and any alternative thinking is wrong.

antinomy

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 03:10 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;44422 wrote:

In many ways I think Ayn Rand is one of the most original thinkers in the history of humanity. But that does not mean that her thinking is good. The only way you actually notice the plagarism is if you have studied thinkers like Aristotle, Locke, Nietzsche, and Kant. The later she doesn't plagarize, but instead demonizes and uses wrongly for her own devices. Kant may as well be the devil in Rand's world.

sorry to drag up an old thread, but i'd be very interested if posters here could offer a few pointers on which texts would be relevant. i'm not well versed in philosophy but i'm trying to unpick some very fuzzy and unformed personal feelings about perception and reality and the nature of consciousness (like you do) and kant was top of my reading 'to do' list, but then a friend also recently mentioned the fountainhead, so that's going on there too.

what can i read that will help me understand kant, and rand, by way of aristotle, locke and nietzsche? where should i start?

thanks in advance.

p.s. why does rand hate kant so much?

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 03:35 am
@nicodemus,
Randism........ is like eulogising about your own **** ! Pardon me for that expression.

Oh! heavenly god!.... thanks moderator...... the system saves me off some guilt.

antinomy

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 04:46 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;97843 wrote:
Randism........ is like eulogising about your own **** ! Pardon me for that expression.

Oh! heavenly god!.... thanks moderator...... the system saves me off some guilt.

randism? how is that different to objectivism?

---------- Post added 10-16-2009 at 10:57 AM ----------

R.Danneskjöld;43028 wrote:
The proposed axiom's that her system of Objective knowledge is based on are quite frankly ludcrious in many respects. Though there a few points that can be of interest.

can you elaborate please?

thank you

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.35 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 10:23:54