Zarathustra reading group?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 05:24 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard, I just want to say this is fantastic idea in general -- reading groups.

I'm surprised we haven't thought of this before. We should definitely do this with other works as well. I'd love to join in!

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 05:42 pm
@Deckard,
The main issue with the Thomas Common translation is the fact that it is pretty much in middle English. Very few people will have the attention span necessary to make out what is being said, but it does not help that it is not the most accurate of translations.

I will do what I can to offer good quotes from various translations from the important passages--as I have done so far in the Nietzsche forum, but it will also have my interpretations of the passages after.

To Z, if this idea works, I will hold various reading groups for anyone interested. Over the next few weeks, I am going to attack Emerson, JS Mill, Schopenhauer, and Kierkegaard to an extent, and this idea could spread to them as well. Of course, Emerson and JS Mill will be by far the easiest since they wrote in English.

If anyone wants, I will start an Emerson reading group starting with Nature. By the way, Emerson had a major influence on Nietzsche and his work--especially the mid to later years.

Arjuna

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 07:24 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;114512 wrote:
I have not read this before so would appreciate any pointers as long as you dont ruin it for me, no spoilers please. I like my experiences to be chronological, sequential and roughly climatical, dont presume either that all have a tight understanding of what it is all about, New to this work, dont make me run before i can walk, dont rush me either, and we must follow it properly.
I'm more of a "if you start in the middle, you never get to the end" type of person. I read slowly with flights of intuition connecting everything in the universe to everything. I want to know how he represents his time, his society... how he's part of my world. I think it will be time well spent, and what a privilege to have insights from those well versed in it!

Deckard

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 07:05 am
@Arjuna,
Holiday20310401;114428 wrote:
Count me in too.

When would be a good time to start?

We'll start with The Prologue on New Years

I think it will work best if we set a rule for a week between postings. One for each chapter. That would be a new chapter every Friday. If this doesn't work it will be easy enough to change.

Also, if it needs to be said, I have no claim on this and I may not be around every Friday so whoever gets there first is free to post it. One stipulation: lets keep the title to the following format:

Zarathustra Reading Group: The Prologue

Zetherin;114694 wrote:
Deckard, I just want to say this is fantastic idea in general -- reading groups.

I'm surprised we haven't thought of this before. We should definitely do this with other works as well. I'd love to join in!

Thanks. I'm not sure what made me think of it. I may have had some of Theaetetus' posts in the back of my mind and then figured why not do all four books from start to finish.

I agree, other reading groups would be great. There are too many candidates to mention here.

Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 07:41 pm
@Deckard,
Alright, but a chapter a week seems awfully slow. I can understand for his other books considering they actually ask questions often. This is really a bunch of aphorisms strung together in deep passion, but lacking brevity. I'm certainly excited to go beyond, and fast!

Deckard

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:27 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;115116 wrote:
Alright, but a chapter a week seems awfully slow. I can understand for his other books considering they actually ask questions often. This is really a bunch of aphorisms strung together in deep passion, but lacking brevity. I'm certainly excited to go beyond, and fast!

Yeah, you are right it is slow for a reading group.

Let's rename it a "Discussion" Group.

And okay, one chapter a week will drag it out too much. I realize that now. How about this: when someone feels a strong desire to move the discussion to the next chapter they should just go ahead and post it. The main thing is: I don't want to skip over any chapters nor combine multiple chapters into a single post. This is for aesthetic reasons and also for organizational reasons. There is the possibility that this will become a minor reference source for Zarathustra studies. The google spiders are crawling around Philosophy Forum as we speak. So it will be nice to have it organized for easy reference, one thread per one chapter.

Also, keep the title of each thread to this format.

Zarathustra Discussion Group: Roman numeral - Chapter Name

e.g.

Zarathustra Discussion Group: I - The Three Metamorphoses

sometime sun

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:01 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;114716 wrote:
I'm more of a "if you start in the middle, you never get to the end" type of person. I read slowly with flights of intuition connecting everything in the universe to everything. I want to know how he represents his time, his society... how he's part of my world. I think it will be time well spent, and what a privilege to have insights from those well versed in it!

Yes, but save it till i can dance with you not you just dragging me along, wait till i get there, dont leave without me, but i do see your point and agree wiht you about insight and not being able to see all that others have lived and therefore able to increase my enjoyment by their already danced steps.
You may not be able to dance the tango to enjoy it, but i would prefer to learn it so i could enjoy it the more.:sarcastic:

jgweed

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 01:39 pm
@Deckard,
I would suspect that everyone will take each thread at their own pace, and that a discussion in a later thread may spur discussion in an earlier one. Moreover, those who explore some of his other writings may find additional comments or questions about a chapter in Z.

Nietzsche is not like many traditional philosophers, who covered one topic completely in a specific book once their ideas had fully developed; to really understand him, one cannot confine one's reading to one book.

Nietzsche was an amateur composer himself (not to mention, of course, his acquaintance with Wagner), and he often discusses music and musicians in his books.

Much of Nietzsche is a series of themes and variations; the analogy to classical compositions seems very apt, since early themes in his writing are often developed and transformed as he continues to think through the issues that confronted him.

His philosophy is one of becoming and not being, and nothing illustrates such a view as does his own thinking and writing.

Arjuna

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 01:49 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;115633 wrote:
Nietzsche was an amateur composer himself (not to mention, of course, his acquaintance with Wagner), and he often discusses music and musicians in his books.
That puts an interesting twist on it. I think to compose that kind of music you have to have an expansive mind capable of integrating many parts into one experiences by virtue of a complex pattern. I haven't gotten my copy yet.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:22 pm
@Deckard,
I have started a Social Group for the Zarathustra Discussion Group in order to avoid clutter in the Nietzsche forum. It is a public group so you do not have to be a member to see the content. Until the group has a dedicated forum, you can continue posting threads in the Nietzsche forum, and we will move them later when the time comes.

Join us here.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 09:29 am
@Deckard,
By the way, follow the link and click the "Join Group" link at the bottom of the page if you wish to be a part of the social group. We will then end up with a subforum for the group in the Social Groups forum located about half way down the main page. This will allow us to separate the Discussion group from all other things Nietzsche, and thus, help with organization of all the threads on the various speeches.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 10:48 pm
@Theaetetus,
The forum is up, and you can find it here. I am staying in since I work tomorrow and had too much fun the other night, so maybe later I will make a post on the first section to get the ball rolling on the discussion group. Anyway, Happy New Year!

Leonard

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 05:07 pm
@Deckard,
Sounds interesting. It should be enjoyable.

andy1984

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 03:12 pm
@Deckard,
apparently i have to make 10 posts before i can join a group.

jgweed

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:44 am
@Deckard,
Andy, watch for an invitation to join from Theaetetus.
Cheers,
John

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 06:27:10