Curse of the Pendulum

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Israelite007

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 09:20 am
@Israelite007,
Quote:

As far as pleasing the most high, you and I are on two totally different wave lengths on this. You describe an entity separate from yourself that maybe sits up in a chair high in the sky with Jesus sitting next to him. A super being or something that is out of reach.

Justin I am perplexed here with what you mean? Can you elaborate? Do you mean to say that you don't believe in a Heavenly Creator the Eternal One Being in which sustains all life? And yes who resides in his heavenly kingdom?

Justin

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 09:55 am
@Israelite007,
Israelite007 wrote:
Justin I am perplexed here with what you mean? Can you elaborate? Do you mean to say that you don't believe in a Creator GOD the Eternal One being in which sustains all life? And yes who resides in his heavenly kingdom is this not what the word says?

I'd be perplexed to. You just said "GOD the Eternal One being". God be One being residing in his heavenly Kingdom yet sustaining all life... So is God life or is God a separate being from life simply sending down energy to sustain it? Are you certain that this isn't his heavenly Kingdom? Are you certain that the Kingdom of Heaven you speak of is something separate from the here and now and separate from mankind and all creation?

The word you speak of was written by man for man and then politics allowed what writings they seen fit to be formed into what we call the Bible, which I believe is what you are referring to when you say 'Word'. This Word you speak of is a compilation of various writings throughout ages. Maybe some from God maybe some from man but decided on by a committee as to what 'words' were to be included in the Bible. I'm being realistic here.

Do I believe in a God separate from Man?.. absolutely not. Do I believe GOD is sitting on a throne in his heavenly kingdom somewhere separate from his kingdom on earth, NO.

We speak of two totally different things. When I was your age, I believed whole heartedly that GOD was somewhere up in heaven and separate from humanity altogether. Through growing and understanding that's not the case anymore. How could God create other than himself? How is it we think God as something separate from nature or separate from creation? When the teachings of Jesus and the examples of Jesus were not separate at all?

Again, we can keep on creating GOD to fit our own perceptions or we can know and understand that GOD just is. I just am. I AM. Do you see what I mean?

It's difficult to explain without a clear understanding of the history of religion and the history of the Bible and the history of Jesus which is not exactly in the Bible. It takes time to understand this an it's the least understood thing in all humanity.

We can preach til we're blue in the face about what we think God is or what we think the way to live is but until it's experienced within, it's just blowing smoke.

Peace!

NeitherExtreme

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 05:15 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
Again, we can keep on creating GOD to fit our own perceptions or we can know and understand that GOD just is.

Just for a point of reference, there would be a lot of people who could say those same words, but would be totally convinced that you are the one creating God to fit your perception, while believing in a divine creator would be knowing and understanding that GOD just is.

I understand your objection to a person creating a "god" in their mind and then attempting to force that view on others (which I agree is something to be avoided and has very little value). But... there have been many people throuhout history who have felt that they have had personal interaction with an "other than natural" God (even when they would have denied him before), and this experience(s) is why they believe- not because of some philosophical or dogmatic mind-game.

I have no iron-clad philosophical proof of God's existance, so I am not attempting to give one here at all. But... from a skeptical (philosphical) point of view, I do feel obligated to point out that you seem to have ruled out the possibility that people have experienced a God outside themselves. Do you have any philosphical proof that denies their experiences as possible or valid? If not, then I think they are entitled to believe what those experiences led them to believe.

And to take it one step further, I also think that people should be given the dignity of being allowed to believe someone else's story of their experiences, and draw conclusions from those stories as well. Of course it then lies in the realm of the indivdual to choose carefully who and what they will believe, but still, I think people should have that right. (Of course, philosphy will/should call into question anything assumed or believed.)

Sorry, I don't want to sound too antagonistic! But I do think there's more than one side to this coin, and finding a healthy balance is our best option.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:20:52