Reasons For Philosophy

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » Reasons For Philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 12:48 pm
:listening:Hello All.

Just joinin up Today. I do a lot of things in my Spare time, but Forums are the Coolest. At any rate, I am writing a book Concerning Reasons and our need for them in order to Survive. I'm a Writer at Heart, but Philosophy is a Passion.

Rather than approach any particular Philosophy, I would prefer to discuss the Reasons for Philosophy in the First place with this Thread.

One of the Reasons I need Philosophy is because it keeps me Grounded. I know that seems ironic considering that Philosophy is regarded as one of the most Abstract and Concrete forms of thought, but that's how it goes.......

Why not list some of the Reasons you need Philosophy. I'm a Good listener and love Interaction on a Personal level.

Sincerely,

Dave

 
platorepublic
 
Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 01:41 pm
@doswizard,
First of all, cut the capitalization.

Reasons I need philosophy:

- None

I don't need philosophy. Philosophy needs me.
 
doswizard
 
Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 03:24 pm
@platorepublic,
Why?

How do you know Philosophy requires your Intervention?

 
TuringEquivalent
 
Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 01:18 am
@doswizard,
doswizard;153627 wrote:


Why not list some of the Reasons you need Philosophy. I'm a Good listener and love Interaction on a Personal level.

[/SIZE]


I study philosophy because i hate people, i hate pop culture, i don` t care for the emotions of others, and i don` t give a **** what people think of me. I am lonely, and in pain. I am embrace the pain, and independence that others wonder. I see people as insects, used, abused, and fucked. I am batman!
 
doswizard
 
Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 04:13 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Hi there.

I know exactly how you feel. The Majority of people in our society
are very shallow. We have all been spoiled somewhat. We are forced
deal with the negative emotions and attitudes of those around us on a
daily basis. The important thing is to not become so cynical that you
lose touch with who you really are as a person. I've noticed that banality
and pettiness seems to be the order of the day in our culture. My heart
goes out to the suffering in the Third World. They are still human beings
and our governments treats them as though they were animals.
It's not as though they don't know how to work. They work hard for what
they have, but are in such severe Poverty that they can't help themselves.

What is wrong in a world where the Rich take such advantage whilst the
Poor suffer in the Darkest of Living hells? I can't help but shed tears,
for I know that the majority of people in our Society are too blase and
selfish to concern themselves. I always try to keep a positive attitude
because I know that we are all inextricably interwoven and the suffering
of Starving children in Africa is my suffering as well.

 
platorepublic
 
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:58 am
@doswizard,
doswizard;154782 wrote:
Hi there.

I know exactly how you feel. The Majority of people in our society
are very shallow. We have all been spoiled somewhat. We are forced
deal with the negative emotions and attitudes of those around us on a
daily basis. The important thing is to not become so cynical that you
lose touch with who you really are as a person. I've noticed that banality
and pettiness seems to be the order of the day in our culture. My heart
goes out to the suffering in the Third World. They are still human beings
and our governments treats them as though they were animals.
It's not as though they don't know how to work. They work hard for what
they have, but are in such severe Poverty that they can't help themselves.

What is wrong in a world where the Rich take such advantage whilst the
Poor suffer in the Darkest of Living hells? I can't help but shed tears,
for I know that the majority of people in our Society are too blase and
selfish to concern themselves. I always try to keep a positive attitude
because I know that we are all inextricably interwoven and the suffering
of Starving children in Africa is my suffering as well.


The majority of the people are quite deep if you get to know them better. I disagree with you utterly.
 
Fido
 
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:30 am
@doswizard,
doswizard;153627 wrote:
:listening:Hello All.

Just joinin up Today. I do a lot of things in my Spare time, but Forums are the Coolest. At any rate, I am writing a book Concerning Reasons and our need for them in order to Survive. I'm a Writer at Heart, but Philosophy is a Passion.

Rather than approach any particular Philosophy, I would prefer to discuss the Reasons for Philosophy in the First place with this Thread.

One of the Reasons I need Philosophy is because it keeps me Grounded. I know that seems ironic considering that Philosophy is regarded as one of the most Abstract and Concrete forms of thought, but that's how it goes.......

Why not list some of the Reasons you need Philosophy. I'm a Good listener and love Interaction on a Personal level.

Sincerely,

Dave


Why write books no one will read... Spew on the water of the internet to see if your spawn will breed...

Now I am going to pick on you...Thought cannot be both abstract and concrete...Thought is made possible by our abstractions, and our abstractions, which are concepts are not at all concrete...

---------- Post added 04-27-2010 at 12:37 PM ----------

platorepublic;157114 wrote:
The majority of the people are quite deep if you get to know them better. I disagree with you utterly.

People, not all of them, nor most of them can be described with a single dimension... We are infinite... What we are is what we are, beyond true conception...
 
doswizard
 
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:48 pm
@Fido,
I was hoping someone would notice the flaw in my logic.

Where exactly are these thoughts arising from other than sensory perception?

Is there some sort of A priori force at work giving rise to the ideas we experience?

 
Grayshepherd
 
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:09 pm
@doswizard,
Why do individuals need philosophy?
Before someone can decide whether or not they need philosophy, philosophy must first be defined. A broad definition could be "principles of guidance in practical affairs." So a better question might be why do individuals need guidance when they undergo a given task?
The need for guidance implies that the decision at hand is somehow emotionally stimulating. For example "there is a puddle on the ground do I walk over it? I don't want to get wet and step over the puddle." Most would not consider this an ethical decision. Whereas the question "Do I kill one man to save ten?" is considered a more emotional ethical question.
So philosophy provides a way to measure and access emotional situations. And depending on the philosophy used (say utilitarianism and Kantianism) it can also tell you the corresponding action to take. That being said, deciding on the particular type of philosophy to use in a give scenario is an ethical question in itself.
 
Fido
 
Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:18 pm
@Grayshepherd,
Grayshepherd;157375 wrote:
Why do individuals need philosophy?
Before someone can decide whether or not they need philosophy, philosophy must first be defined. A broad definition could be "principles of guidance in practical affairs." So a better question might be why do individuals need guidance when they undergo a given task?
The need for guidance implies that the decision at hand is somehow emotionally stimulating. For example "there is a puddle on the ground do I walk over it? I don't want to get wet and step over the puddle." Most would not consider this an ethical decision. Whereas the question "Do I kill one man to save ten?" is considered a more emotional ethical question.
So philosophy provides a way to measure and access emotional situations. And depending on the philosophy used (say utilitarianism and Kantianism) it can also tell you the corresponding action to take. That being said, deciding on the particular type of philosophy to use in a give scenario is an ethical question in itself.

Are you telling me people don't know how to behave??? I know how to behave; but get this: Now they are putting cameras on all the stop lights on top of street lights...The whole world is crying for gasonline, and I sit at a stop light looking both ways seeing nothing and knowing I can't do anything but sit and wait for no body to go through the intersection, and you think I need a practical guide...Here is a guide... Don't turn every idea into a law to make every one a criminal or a stupid idiot waiting for permission to move... The people who do that sort of thing earn every bit of disrespect that can be imagined...and more...
 
north
 
Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:11 pm
@Fido,
the Reason for Philosophy

is because it forces you ( hopefully ) to become more Reasonable
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:12 pm
@north,
north;157655 wrote:
the Reason for Philosophy

is because it forces you ( hopefully ) to become more Reasonable


Whom does it force to become more reasonable? And how does it do that?
 
north
 
Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:43 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
the Reason for Philosophy

is because it forces you ( hopefully ) to become more Reasonable




kennethamy;157656 wrote:
Whom does it force to become more reasonable?


ALL of US hopefully:D



Quote:
And how does it do that?


by listening and contemplating , understanding others thinking compared to your own and likewise

then discuss in balance both perspectives
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 05:02 pm
@north,
north;157667 wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
the Reason for Philosophy

is because it forces you ( hopefully ) to become more Reasonable






ALL of US hopefully:D





by listening and contemplating , understanding others thinking compared to your own and likewise

then discuss in balance both perspectives


Not those who do not care, or have no time for philosophy. And listening and contemplating is not being forced to do anything so far as I can see.
 
north
 
Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 05:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;157672 wrote:
Not those who do not care, or have no time for philosophy.


yes of course , those who do not care or have time for philosophy

good sound thinking , can be spread by mouth



Quote:
And listening and contemplating is not being forced to do anything so far as I can see.


using Reason though forces the mind to be more flexible , the imagination

this isn't about , anything goes to speak , as it is about using imagining to some extent to understand

just to the point of understanding , not necessarilly the full experince
 
Fido
 
Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 06:38 pm
@north,
north;157655 wrote:
the Reason for Philosophy

is because it forces you ( hopefully ) to become more Reasonable

Reason is not the answer to every problem even if it is part of the answer to every problem...
 
north
 
Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 07:05 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
the Reason for Philosophy

is because it forces you ( hopefully ) to become more Reasonable




Fido;157694 wrote:
Reason is not the answer to every problem even if it is part of the answer to every problem...


wrong

Reason , is about Truth , not logic , but reason

the difference between reason and logic is ;

logic is based on history and present

whereas :

reason and reasoning is based on knowledge in the past , present and future
 
doswizard
 
Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:42 pm
@Grayshepherd,
Grayshepherd;157375 wrote:
Why do individuals need philosophy?
Before someone can decide whether or not they need philosophy, philosophy must first be defined. A broad definition could be "principles of guidance in practical affairs." So a better question might be why do individuals need guidance when they undergo a given task?
The need for guidance implies that the decision at hand is somehow emotionally stimulating. For example "there is a puddle on the ground do I walk over it? I don't want to get wet and step over the puddle." Most would not consider this an ethical decision. Whereas the question "Do I kill one man to save ten?" is considered a more emotional ethical question.
So philosophy provides a way to measure and access emotional situations. And depending on the philosophy used (say utilitarianism and Kantianism) it can also tell you the corresponding action to take. That being said, deciding on the particular type of philosophy to use in a give scenario is an ethical question in itself.


Hume noted that there are two Species of Philosophy.

Those concerned with the Abstruse Truth, such as Aristotle pronounced
and the Moral Philosophy of those such as Plato.

Aristotle is long decayed, whilst the easy Philosophy of Plato's
goodness remains entirely relevant even today. Why is this?

There must be something relevant to the notion of involving the
limitations of Human Understanding concerning Philosophy and the
Skepticism of Ideals........


 
kennethamy
 
Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:58 pm
@doswizard,
doswizard;157732 wrote:
Hume noted that there are two Species of Philosophy.

Those concerned with the Abstruse, such as Aristotle pronounced
and the

Moral Philosophy of those such as Plato.

Aristotle is long decayed, whilst the easy Philosophy of Plato's
goodness remains entirely relevant even today. Why is this?
There must be
something to the notion of involving the limitations of Human
Understanding concerning
Philosophy and the Skepticism of Ideals........




And your point is?
 
Fido
 
Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:00 pm
@north,
north;157704 wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
the Reason for Philosophy

is because it forces you ( hopefully ) to become more Reasonable





wrong

Reason , is about Truth , not logic , but reason

the difference between reason and logic is ;

logic is based on history and present

whereas :

reason and reasoning is based on knowledge in the past , present and future

Wrong??? Don't count on it; but it is your mistake to make... Enjoy...
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » Reasons For Philosophy
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 03/23/2019 at 05:35:53