In pursuit of the Virgin Sophia

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » In pursuit of the Virgin Sophia

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:44 pm
I admit right away being influenced by Lacan, Nicolas of Cusa, Zizek, and who knows how many others. I use symbols shamelessly here. I don't consider it mysticism but I am not allergic to the word.

God is also the Real, which cannot be completely symbolized. The polygon would like to become God by understanding God, but no matter how many sides (points of view) the polygon attains, there will remain a gap between this polygon and the circle it inscribes.

The virgin is already a phallus in her totality, and therefore does not need a phallus herself.

The phallus is the badge of a lack and the badge of a mission to recover that lack.

The man's phallus is an arrow pointing toward the virgin. The virgin symbolizes the phallus at a state of rest, its mission completed.

The phallus as symbolization.

If masculinity is thought of in intellectual terms, the largest phallus is the one that symbolizes the totality most completely. The totality is god then, and the phallus is an antenna that can find god, even channel god.
The phallus is the attempt to know god, a hard-on for god. I'm talking about the spiritual/ symbolic phallus.
The real virgin is just a stupid girl, but the Virgin as symbol is Sophia, Wisdom, Union with God.

Beatrice is just such a virgin, and Dante met her as a little girl when she was 9 and 13.

Freud equated the Baby with the Penis. It Xmass time almost and we should consider the Magi bringing gifts to some newborn in a stable.

The child, the virgin, the nothingness. Etc. The mysterious other.

The virgin isn't female but actually androgynous. Her lack of a penis breeds the paradox, for so few realize that she is the phallus in her totality. Her essence is the totality. Her face shines with knowledge of the totality and with the tranquility that comes from such a knowledge. For the itch to know has been scratched here with a mysterious knowledge.

But all of this is a DREAM, a fantasy, a tease. The Virgin who is the Circle who is the Ideal Phallus -- is and has always been an impossibility. The Virgin is the carrot and the ambitious partial phallus is the Ass.
Closure is impossible because the game is the chasing of a projection.
And to call this projection a Virgin or an Ideal Phallus is merely to symbolize it imperfectly, for perfect symbolization is impossible, and that is the point.
The Virgin symbolizes an impossibly perfect symbolization of the totality -- and words like "totality" are examples of the many contingent metaphors we stack upon this nothingness which is the something that moves the entire game of symbolization.

A Philosopher is one who runs after Sophia, never catching her, not conceptually. But the emotional mystical experience is something else, right Dante?

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 12:14 am
@Reconstructo,
The 0 is the true 1, and the 0 is nil.

As Hegel said, Being is precisely Nothingness. Being is the indeterminate concept of existence itself, empty of further content.

As sperm cells seek the egg, so do all foolosophers seek this Zero, and this Zero is the One.

The Circle is the shape of God. The polygon is the shape of the foolosopher (symbolization).

Nicolas of Cusa: the inscribed polygon, no matter how many sides it has, never becomes the Circle. Symbolization never attains to Totality.

The Foolosopher is a futile passion.

Man is the Concept and the concept is a C. This C is an incomplete circle. This i is man's creation, whereas the O is god's creation, which is god himself, which is everything, including the foolosopher who hopes to symbolize this totality.

As Hegel saw, the Foolosopher must include himself in any explanation of the All. And this in itself is an endless impossible task. For man is a slinger of metaphors, which can be endlessly stacked. The Foolosopher is never finished naming himself.

And the Foolosopher is God, for subjectivity is all we can ever know. So the Zero is the God of God, or the cutting edge of God. God is a God who endlessly creates himself, in pursuit of a nothingness.

God lusts only for Virgins. And Virgins are the symbol of that which resist symbolization.

God seeks an impossible stasis. God seeks to complete the book of Genesis, which is impossible.

God is the game which plays itself and yet cannot be won. God is this winless infinite game.

God is the self-interpreting thought. God eternally f**** himself. And we are that f***

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:37 pm
@Reconstructo,
God is a Moebius striptease performed for a mirror.

Magnus phil

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 04:14 pm
@Reconstructo,
Logic is masculine. The soul is feminine. Logic overrides emotion in western culture. Socrates was right.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 01:37 am
@Reconstructo,
Here's what logocentrism means to me. Speech is made not only of words but also sounds and gestures. These sounds and gestures have a pseudo-musical meaning, an emotional tone. To neglect the significance of this tone is to become logocentric.
That would be word-centric.

But some philosophers also becomes what I would call logic-centric and imply or declare that only propositions matter. This leads to a denial of the metaphoricity of human thinking. Propositional thinking is just a narrow band in a much wider spectrum of language use. These same philosophers tend to forget how liquidy, how organic words are. They do not and cannot have the precision of numbers, excepting perhaps those statements that avoid all abstraction, if such a thing is possible.

Krumple

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 06:15 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;105984 wrote:
The virgin is already a phallus in her totality, and therefore does not need a phallus herself.

The phallus is the badge of a lack and the badge of a mission to recover that lack.

The man's phallus is an arrow pointing toward the virgin. The virgin symbolizes the phallus at a state of rest, its mission completed.

The phallus as symbolization.

I completely disagree with dante about the phallus but also in it's use. They say the plight for knowledge is man's eagerness to become godlike or gods. I say that is nonsense. I do not want to be a god or god like in any way. I see such an existence to be one of tremendous problems. Think about it. I really enjoy not knowing stuff, because of those moments of discovering something new. The experience of not knowing or understanding completely has a beauty to it. Sometimes hearing words in which I do not know their meaning sounds poetic to me. If it was someone reading the ingredient list on the back of a food container in a language I didn't know. The not knowing is the fuel for motivation and purpose.

If I knew everything, understood everything, existence would be horrible. Therefore I don't want to nor desire to know everything, I simply experience and discover. I am completely fine knowing that I won't have a chance to discover everything, but that is the beauty of life. Death is the end, where knowing isn't known. Why the need to invent these other things? Or to impose a desire in which there really isn't one?

So long explanation short, I do not value the virgin in any way. The virgin to me is the lack of knowledge, it is ignorance. I do not desire ignorance or lack of knowledge. Therefore I do not chase virgins. Dante is wrong about me.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:35 am
@Reconstructo,
In Athens it's a short walk from the stoa to the temple of Athene Nike and a little further to the temple of Pallas Athene, the cities Virgin. This is true, not a sophism.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:57 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;125053 wrote:
I completely disagree with dante about the phallus but also in it's use. They say the plight for knowledge is man's eagerness to become godlike or gods. I say that is nonsense.

I respect your sincere disagreement. My first post is more a poetic flight than a proposition. For me, these words of ours are a network of names that overlap metaphorically. As far as the Lacanian-phallus symbol, I can hardly expect that to go over well. Still, I think he's on to something. So I (at least in that earlier post) assimilated the notion into my own little recipe. Enjoy it if you can.

Thanks!

---------- Post added 02-05-2010 at 03:58 PM ----------

Pepijn Sweep;125085 wrote:
In Athens it's a short walk from the stoa to the temple of Athene Nike and a little further to the temple of Pallas Athene, the cities Virgin. This is true, not a sophism.

Good stuff. I wasn't aware of this. I would love to actually walk the path you describe.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:02 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;125182 wrote:

Good stuff. I wasn't aware of this. I would love to actually walk the path you describe.

Sophia is more the gnostic tradion, I try to follow the path of Hermes:flowers:

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:26 pm
@Reconstructo,
Have you read Jung's Alchemical Studies? Good stuff. If I recollect correctly, Hermes figures prominently there.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:12 pm
@Reconstructo,
Thanks, will keep it in mind. I am currently reading "hermetic" book about Hermes Trimegistus. Another look upon God and Wisdom

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 06:31 pm
@Reconstructo,
Sounds like my sort of book. I was just reading Origins of the Sacred by Dudley Young. Also good stuff.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 02:49 am
@Reconstructo,
In ancient Greeece the city states scared off their neighbours with putting big fallus-like stones at the bourders. The stones representing Hermes, also god of boundaries.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:55 pm
@Reconstructo,
I see now why Sophia is well-symbolized by a virgin, or even a child. The unchangable Truth cannot be penetrated. It is. It is the basic structure of the human mind, impermeable to circumstance. Wisdom is transcendental, & therefore immune to the seductions of the incidental. Wisdom is just the completed self-consciousness of the philosopher. Not as a particular human being, which is impossible. But only to the degree that he is universal, or shall we say the universal structure of his mind. Blake called this the Human Form Divine. Jesus is a perfect myth for the wise man. "I and my Father are one."

The Father is spatial being. Jesus cannot exists apart from this Spatial being. But the Father or spatial being cannot exist (in all its beautiful variety) as an object of contemplation except for the influence of nous, or pure negativity. Jesus is the meeting of space and nous, eternity and time. And it just so happens that only language can manifest this. Therefore Jesus is rightfully called the Logos, without which nothing can exist, or stand apart. For it is the Nous (the negative holy spirit) that makes distinctions possible. Nous cuts up this spatial being into objects, rational objects. Therefore a structure is imposed on the Father. The nous must be inferred. It can never be directly experienced. It's not an emotion. It's a logic inference which happens to be beautiful. Emotions like love are shared between the Father and Son, for the Son has a bodily root. It's only the Son's knowledge or wisdom that the Father must get from the Son.

The Son has a memory. He is Logos, or words. Our memories are packeted in our minds, labeled with words, but still evocative of qualia. The smell of grass can make us 14 again.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:09 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;125380 wrote:
In ancient Greeece the city states scared off their neighbours with putting big fallus-like stones at the bourders. The stones representing Hermes, also god of boundaries.

:bigsmile:In ancient Palestina the wife of Jaweh was worshipped as a Godess, much like the Virgin Maria later. Till the Philosopher-King decided to centralize the religion, she was as populair as Isis of Egypte. Funny I forgot her name...

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:13 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;135204 wrote:
:bigsmile:In ancient Palestina the wife of Jaweh was worshipped as a Godess, much like the Virgin Maria later. Till the Philosopher-King decided to centralize the religion, she was as populair as Isis of Egypte. Funny I forgot her name...

Thanks! I thought there was something like that. And also we have Dante's Beatrice...

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:27 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;135206 wrote:
Thanks! I thought there was something like that. And also we have Dante's Beatrice...

:bigsmile:In the lore of Mesopetania it was the Godess Astarte who went to to Underworld. She had to shed her 7 veils to enter the Realm. She was up-set by the fact het male lover cheated on her and sought counsil. :nonooo:

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:14 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;135214 wrote:
:bigsmile:In the lore of Mesopetania it was the Godess Astarte who went to to Underworld. She had to shed her 7 veils to enter the Realm. She was up-set by the fact het male lover cheated on her and sought counsil. :nonooo:

It now seems to me that Wisdom is only female to the degree that she is incarnated in the philosopher. Wisdom is the "holy" one, or the beauty of the unified. (Truth is fairest naked.) It is we philosophers who are penetrated from inside by this itch for perfect unity. Blake said there were no women in Eternity, by which he meant to represent our contingent aspects as females. Eternity is purged of the contingent, and this is its essence, which is essence. God is the self-thinking thought, and the philosopher, to the degree that he thinks, is this self-thinking God.

Just an indulgent speculation?

Truth, for humans, is obviously founded on coherence. Our logic and math, our most abstract pursuits, are entirely concerned with coherence.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:00 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;135748 wrote:
It now seems to me that Wisdom is only female to the degree that she is incarnated in the philosopher. Wisdom is the "holy" one, or the beauty of the unified. (Truth is fairest naked.) It is we philosophers who are penetrated from inside by this itch for perfect unity. Blake said there were no women in Eternity, by which he meant to represent our contingent aspects as females. Eternity is purged of the contingent, and this is its essence, which is essence. God is the self-thinking thought, and the philosopher, to the degree that he thinks, is this self-thinking God.

Just an indulgent speculation?

Truth, for humans, is obviously founded on coherence. Our logic and math, our most abstract pursuits, are entirely concerned with coherence.

:detective: I just checked my local newspaper; we just had our municipial elections. In Al-Mere the Part For Freedom became no.1. They want to forbid wearing head-cloth afecting mosstly our faithfull muslim citizens. I will wear my hat to-day.

I also found one of our former PM's Ruud Lubbers. (also a so-called Christian) is not being prosicuted for violating a womans physical body by toouching her bum because he, acoording to a court in NTC he has diplomatic immunity (UN). No way this was the meaning of the charter. I don't agree with rules which don''t protect citizens to molest. Who cares who did it ? Rapers should be prosecuted. Proof on the Table !

Good news too; Roman Catholics can reseive the hosti in the bishdom of 's Hertogenbosch. Roman Catholic Gays not excluded. See papa's Benedictus reaction...:BRB:

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » In pursuit of the Virgin Sophia
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 10:15:00