Philosophy As A Weapon

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

PappasNick

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 01:44 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;131425 wrote:
All these pages, an not even a single post that are convincing that philosopy can be used for anything but selfendulgence.

I thought Reconstructo's last reply to me was anything but self-indulgent.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 03:15 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;131425 wrote:
All these pages, an not even a single post that are convincing that philosopy can be used for anything but selfendulgence.

You crack me up, HexHammer. If you need any help on the put-downs, examine my thread entitled "Self-Consciousness."

---------- Post added 02-23-2010 at 04:18 PM ----------

PappasNick;131499 wrote:
I thought Reconstructo's last reply to me was anything but self-indulgent.

Thanks Nick. It's amusing, this accusation of self-indulgence? Who are we supposed to indulge? If philosophy has nothing to do with personal satisfaction, then why bother? To indulge someone else?

PappasNick

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:25 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;131522 wrote:

Thanks Nick. It's amusing, this accusation of self-indulgence? Who are we supposed to indulge? If philosophy has nothing to do with personal satisfaction, then why bother? To indulge someone else?

Philosophy definitely has to do with personal satisfaction. And, at its best, it is of benefit to those with whom one engages. One can derive satisfaction from that.

This is not incompatible with the notion of philosophy as a weapon.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:13 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;131578 wrote:
Philosophy definitely has to do with personal satisfaction. And, at its best, it is of benefit to those with whom one engages. One can derive satisfaction from that.

This is not incompatible with the notion of philosophy as a weapon.

I agree. And on the weapon theme, one could say that philosophy is a machete one uses against the weeds in one's own mind.

Philosophy as a shield is perhaps just as valid a metaphor. A shield against confusion. A shield against manipulation.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 09:00 pm
@Reconstructo,
At the moment I've shifted toward the splendor of transcendental truth. For those out there unfamiliar with the term, it means something like eternal. It does not mean transcendent, but emotions described with the word "transcendent" are often directed at the transcendental.

For instance: monotheism. God is one and we shall make no graven idols. An unrepresented singular God is almost a number. Except a proper negative theology will negate this attempt at representation.... God is not any thing. God is not "God." Not-"God" is the presence of an absence. (Positronic theology....)

Twirlip

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:19 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;131522 wrote:

I think it's supposed to help the CEOs of corporations make better widgets, isn't it? Isn't that what we're all here for?

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:44 am
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;131578 wrote:
Philosophy definitely has to do with personal satisfaction.

More then ever I agree with this. And the highest form of personal satisfaction may actually be impersonal satisfaction. One is the onliest number.

---------- Post added 02-28-2010 at 03:53 AM ----------

Twirlip;133485 wrote:
I think it's supposed to help the CEOs of corporations make better widgets, isn't it? Isn't that what we're all here for?

Exactly! Because the opposite of the truth is as precise as the truth. Flip it 180, right?

Every once in awhile, philosophy engenders a new empirical science. Empirical science is no longer philosophy in the high grand style. I now think that Plato was as right about the sophists as the sophists were about the marketplace.

Pragmatism is sophistry. It works. How? Because pragmatism is "whatever works." But pragmatism is ideal sophistry to the degree that it rejects essence. Ideal pragmatism is essentially anti-essentialist. A paradox is unavoidable here, for all concept is necessarily essence. But pragmatism doesn't mind being paradoxical, for pragmatism is necessarily ironic. High grand philosophy is sacred, holy, numinous, beautiful, one. Hamlet is temporal. Jesus is transcendental. An analogy for sophistry and philosophy, prudence and wisdom.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:30:00