where can we get wisdom today?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jeeprs

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:21 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I think transcending pain and numbing it are quite different. Marx was referring to all the rationales that conventional religion provides the suffering on the Earth - 'it will be alright when you're dead'. It is one of the great lies of religion, in my view and one of the reasons I left my ancestral faith. And wisdom might indeed have a political dimension but it is likely to be very individualist and not corporatist in its outlook (as in small-scale, immediate, local, community based. Probablly rather green-left but with a strong component of small-l liberalism.)

Fido

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:59 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;111387 wrote:
But isn't philosophy still about search for truth in the sense of a higher truth or transcendent values? IN which case, the political system or what everyone else is doing, provided they don't infringe on your freedom, don't really matter much. The OP is where can we get wisdom today: same place as always, but it seems more and more remote only because it is more obscured all the time by the meanginless chatter of consumerism. Anyone who wants to dig deep and find lasting values is still able to do that provided they don't look for others to do it for them. It's the road less travelled, that is all.

How would anyone go about defining a higher truth against a substrate of simple truth???...An ideal does not do much good if it points in two directions at once... The same with transcendent values...I equate value with meaning, but the only meaning I can think of that transcends, sort of, is life, and that is all meaning, and all value, and to try to find some truth outside of life is a waste...

---------- Post added 12-14-2009 at 10:08 PM ----------

jeeprs;111394 wrote:
I think transcending pain and numbing it are quite different. Marx was referring to all the rationales that conventional religion provides the suffering on the Earth - 'it will be alright when you're dead'. It is one of the great lies of religion, in my view and one of the reasons I left my ancestral faith. And wisdom might indeed have a political dimension but it is likely to be very individualist and not corporatist in its outlook (as in small-scale, immediate, local, community based. Probablly rather green-left but with a strong component of small-l liberalism.)

It is a big mistake to think that just because we experience life as individuals that wisdom is likely to be individualistic... Understanding is never greater than knowledge, and seldom is as great...And knowledge is culture...The sum total of what a society knows is expressed as culture, and since life comes out of society, we are conceived rather than created, and carry life from one generation to the next, wisdom too is out of society, and should be used for society, if it is indeed wisdom... ...There is a dynamic between individual and society...For society to do well, the individual must thrive, and if the individual is not taking more than his due, he will give back to society Children, Wealth, and Knowledge...Wisdom is morality in the sense that it takes the greatest wisdom to find that balance between individual self interest and the interests of the whole society...

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 12:24 am
@Fido,
Fido;111419 wrote:

It is a big mistake to think that just because we experience life as individuals that wisdom is likely to be individualistic...

I see what you're saying here, and to a point I agree. But the social roots of wisdom may stretch back far into our past. I agree with Jung that man has built-in transcendental capacities, and these capacities are built into everyone. I also agree that a living religion is a social expression of this. But in an age when social religion is a dead form, wisdom must be sought more individualistically. For me, wisdom is associated with seeing that we are all, in some way, one. The saint knows that he is also a killer. But the killer most likely does not know that he is also a saint. For me the path of wisdom is an integration of apparent opposites. I feel as though you find a non-social wisdom repellent, perhaps because it is a palliative of otherwise revolutionary discontent. If this is your position, I can understand it. But my life has steered me into a different attitude. I'm too selfish to wait for society to catch up. Life is too short. And when is justice finally attained? And even if we had social justice, life itself is unjust. Disease and accident lurk. While no man is born an island, the island is not a terrible metaphor for a certain kind of wisdom. This might be too monkish or forgiving for your taste. But I offer you an honest response....

---------- Post added 12-15-2009 at 01:28 AM ----------

jeeprs;111394 wrote:
I think transcending pain and numbing it are quite different.

Good point. Perhaps amphetamine is a better metaphor for transcendence. I can't help but suppose that Marx lumped it all together. And yet he writes movingly of the advantages of culture. He had a real Utopian vision for man. And maybe one day, who knows, man will live like that. But then one thinks of him in the library all day, staring at statistics, living off charity, getting by on the opiate of the future utopia his ideas would hopefully inspire. "The point is to change it." How macho. How materialistic indeed.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 05:43 am
@Fido,
Fido;111419 wrote:
How would anyone go about defining a higher truth against a substrate of simple truth???...An ideal does not do much good if it points in two directions at once... The same with transcendent values...I equate value with meaning, but the only meaning I can think of that transcends, sort of, is life, and that is all meaning, and all value, and to try to find some truth outside of life is a waste...

What about the idea of a compass? Would that be relevant? "Life" here seems a synonym for "everything"...

Fido

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:56 am
@Reconstructo,
Quote:
Reconstructo;111446 wrote:
I see what you're saying here, and to a point I agree. But the social roots of wisdom may stretch back far into our past. I agree with Jung that man has built-in transcendental capacities, and these capacities are built into everyone. I also agree that a living religion is a social expression of this. But in an age when social religion is a dead form, wisdom must be sought more individualistically. For me, wisdom is associated with seeing that we are all, in some way, one. The saint knows that he is also a killer. But the killer most likely does not know that he is also a saint. For me the path of wisdom is an integration of apparent opposites. I feel as though you find a non-social wisdom repellent, perhaps because it is a palliative of otherwise revolutionary discontent. If this is your position, I can understand it. But my life has steered me into a different attitude. I'm too selfish to wait for society to catch up. Life is too short. And when is justice finally attained? And even if we had social justice, life itself is unjust. Disease and accident lurk. While no man is born an island, the island is not a terrible metaphor for a certain kind of wisdom. This might be too monkish or forgiving for your taste. But I offer you an honest response....

Religion is hardly a dead form...As long as people relate through religion it will never be a dead form...It should be a dead form...It shows the failure of our government and economy as standards of rational behavior that people are forced back on failed irrational forms because they offer better social support...

And example of a dead form is one people no longer relate through, like Aristotle's Metaphysics, or the Ptolemaic Universe...It is not that each is not eligant in its way, and to an extent, rational; but they are wrong, and in minds with only room for right such ideas do not have a voice to be heard...People do not relate through them, and this conversation breathes more life into them than they deserve...But it is because they thought badly that we can think better...Nietsche has made not a few grunt holes and a few philosophers because to understand where he is wrong you must have knowledge beyond his own...Such people are a challenge and part of a dialectic... And where we cannot meet such people on the street we can find a Nietzsche in a house of prostitution any day...The world knows more, and to be wise, we must know more still... So; while we tend to think of this one as wise, or that one free, or that one just; the fact is that it is never individual... All these forms are forms of a relationship...No one is anything but alive alone... What we know we were generally taught... We cannot even define our forms without the help of society...No one can be just in an unjust society because not such society could give truth to the word...No one is free or wise but in relation to others, and in the end, to all of humanity...Few of us would normally choose the role of Ishmael, but the outlaw or the philosopher thinking he can see the better side of society outside of it does not judge outside of his community standards...You can go nowhere in the search for absolutes...But meaning is found in relations, relationship, and in relating as a living human being...Every form stands in relation to all others...That is the knowledge that makes humanity and philosophy... How we define, and catagorize knowledge, put ideas and concepts in relation to each other, and to find ourselves between the two is philosophy...It is no different from life in general, but only in the specific of action with intent, (as will) which is not how Aristotle may have defined it... Order out of chaos is our goal... Unity out of asymmetry our purpose...Yet; no one does it alone...

---------- Post added 12-15-2009 at 01:28 AM ----------

Quote:

Good point. Perhaps amphetamine is a better metaphor for transcendence. I can't help but suppose that Marx lumped it all together. And yet he writes movingly of the advantages of culture. He had a real Utopian vision for man. And maybe one day, who knows, man will live like that. But then one thinks of him in the library all day, staring at statistics, living off charity, getting by on the opiate of the future utopia his ideas would hopefully inspire. "The point is to change it." How macho. How materialistic indeed.

This tack, while hopeful is without purpose... In fact, the reason we have scientific instruments is because senses were found so variable and unreliable...People could not found good ideas based upon faulty evidence, so the progress of mankind has waited for fine instruments of measure which in turn opened new avenues of approach to understanding...Think of all that was necessary to reach the idea of specific gravity...There is reason enough in all, but technology was not there to refine the senses...Our speed follows our need, and some days were lazy compared to our own...My point is that before we could measure something like radio waves, for all practical purposes they did not exist because they had no social effect... People could not suffer them, nor use them, and the ability to sense them with extensions of our senses opened up new avenues of understanding...The idea created the instrument, and the instrument measured reality and the idea was refined which allowed a refined mensuration...

That is one side of it...The other is that the bulky part of our existence is not troubled by the physical world...Most of us can count on our necessities even while we must work at having them...The problems which plague us are moral problems, problems with our moral concepts coming into conflict with our social forms built upon only moral concepts...Just as physical intraments are based upon physical understanding, all our social forms are built upon our moral understanding which is expressed in our concept such as freedom and justice and honor and etc...We should never believe that a form of government will survive an improvement of moral understanding; but while it survives a dying form can drag down the morals of its whole community...Can we say any of our moral forms exist when clearly they do not??? What existence do they have but as forms??? Unless people make the conscious effort to incorporate their ideas into their lives as social forms they have no true form...What these forms exist as -is meaning... We know physical being through physical forms... We know moral being through moral forms...A finite object has both being and meaning...Moral objects as infinites have only meaning....

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 05:13 am
@Holiday20310401,
My shrink is a purple dwarf from sAturn named umo. He's prayed some notes on Whizz-dumb four me. "A surprised storm refrains in the detail. An unsolicited coach decays beneath her withdrawing conscience. The productive clash pretends past the technology."

"The smooth crack drinks the hero. The dog faints without the counsel.A fellow despairs above the rubbish. A stopped wonder expires in the mad
tribe. Our editorial gutter fines a teenager."Random Sentence Generator

andy1984

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 04:23 pm
@Holiday20310401,
There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy.
Friedrich Nietzsche

:p

Fido

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 12:18 am
@andy1984,
andy1984;116716 wrote:
There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy.
Friedrich Nietzsche

:p

In the sense of wissen as understanding; yes, since your body understands when it needs food, or sleep and etc...... Much of philosophy to date has been the denial of understanding; confusing abstraction with wisdom...

PappasNick

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 05:15 pm
@Fido,
Fido;116823 wrote:
In the sense of wissen as understanding; yes, since your body understands when it needs food, or sleep and etc...... Much of philosophy to date has been the denial of understanding; confusing abstraction with wisdom...

When is abstraction useful? Is it simply a tool to get at things that cannot be gotten at directly?

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 10:34 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;132535 wrote:
When is abstraction useful? Is it simply a tool to get at things that cannot be gotten at directly?

In my opinion, man is abstraction. This is an overstatement to get the point across. Man is a being who lives not only in the spatial present but in his ideas/abstractions/concepts of the past and future.

Man is a self-consciously temporal being, and all this is due to his abstractions/concepts. Man as man and not an animal and time as meaningful history or progress is only possible by means of concepts/abstractions.

Your question is a series of an abstractions. Devoid of abstractions, man could neither question nor answer. (Animals do seem to have limited conceptual ability, but they can't evolve these concepts. An individual chimpanzee might learn to use symbols but I don't expect he can write a book or symbolize these symbols - as we do by means of a word like "concept" or "abstraction."

Excuse the long answer. I've just been obsessed with this issue lately.

Fido

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 10:55 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;132535 wrote:

First of all; everything is an abstraction...You cannot think by the movement of physical object, so you must move the abstractions of them, as all forms and concept are...People do the impossible first, in their heads.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:00 pm
@Fido,
Fido;132664 wrote:
First of all; everything is an abstraction...You cannot think by the movement of physical object, so you must move the abstractions of them, as all forms and concept are...People do the impossible first, in their heads.

Well said, Fido. Philosophy is the intellectual self-consciousness of man, the science of science.

MMP2506

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:23 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I'd say for the philosopher wisdom can be found anywhere and everywhere, as long as you allow for it to appear. Something can be learned by observing and reflecting upon quite literally anything.

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 05:31 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;132679 wrote:
I'd say for the philosopher wisdom can be found anywhere and everywhere, as long as you allow for it to appear. Something can be learned by observing and reflecting upon quite literally anything.

The problems in philosophy are literally over nothing... Science is still philosophy, but the physical world has been mastered if we could manage the moral world... Yet, the moral world is full of intangibles... We can weigh a rock, and determine its elements...Not one element of justice can be compared against an element of freedom, for example... All our moral forms are meanings without being...They are nothings at all, and we reflect on them only from the sense that without them, without the virtues, that we die, and we do die without them...Our real lives are made out of so many nothings, and they are imponderables because even to speak of them with any coherence takes a skill long sought after...

MMP2506

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:33 am
@Fido,
Fido;132783 wrote:
The problems in philosophy are literally over nothing... Science is still philosophy, but the physical world has been mastered if we could manage the moral world... Yet, the moral world is full of intangibles... We can weigh a rock, and determine its elements...Not one element of justice can be compared against an element of freedom, for example... All our moral forms are meanings without being...They are nothings at all, and we reflect on them only from the sense that without them, without the virtues, that we die, and we do die without them...Our real lives are made out of so many nothings, and they are imponderables because even to speak of them with any coherence takes a skill long sought after...

How can meanings exist without being? Being is nothingness as Sarte, Heidegger and other phenomenologists would put it, but that doesn't mean being doesn't exist, that would propose quite a paradox. Science has brought us to the attitude that only that which is measurable exists in reality, but there are realities that can't be measured. Hence the need for two ways (quantity and quality) to describe experience.

Heidegger wrote volumes on being, in which he constantly made clear that being is not a thing, and in fact, most "things" in our lives are not even things. We tend to reify concepts, such as God, being, person, etc. but all this does is make it harder to understand. Science is the study of quantifiable things, so in Heidegger's perspective science is not only the study of nothing, but of useless nothings.

PappasNick

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 07:06 pm
@Fido,
Fido;132664 wrote:

Everything is an abstraction? All words? Is the concept of a word itself an abstraction? At a certain point it seems that words, at least some of them, are not abstract. Is it an abstraction when someone in a war zone hollers "Get down!"?

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 08:07 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;133067 wrote:
Everything is an abstraction? All words? Is the concept of a word itself an abstraction? At a certain point it seems that words, at least some of them, are not abstract. Is it an abstraction when someone in a war zone hollers "Get down!"?

Yup.. The word is not the thing, and the definition is a concept, and abstraction... So you say the word, and the mind thinks the thing, but to be fair it only is an attempt to define a finite object... And of course, this is impossible with moral forms, but it is fun for the mind to play upon...

What you say about an order depends upon a certain knowledge before hand of the meaning of the abstraction... Would the phrase work if one did not know the meaning of the word...

---------- Post added 02-26-2010 at 09:16 PM ----------

MMP2506;132868 wrote:
How can meanings exist without being? Being is nothingness as Sarte, Heidegger and other phenomenologists would put it, but that doesn't mean being doesn't exist, that would propose quite a paradox. Science has brought us to the attitude that only that which is measurable exists in reality, but there are realities that can't be measured. Hence the need for two ways (quantity and quality) to describe experience.

Heidegger wrote volumes on being, in which he constantly made clear that being is not a thing, and in fact, most "things" in our lives are not even things. We tend to reify concepts, such as God, being, person, etc. but all this does is make it harder to understand. Science is the study of quantifiable things, so in Heidegger's perspective science is not only the study of nothing, but of useless nothings.

Heidegger had it wrong... Being is meaning, and that is certain, but some notions have no verifyable being, so their being presents itself to us as meaning, and where does this meaning come from??? Life, for us, all being is all meaning, and is a storehouse of meaning, but what we inevitably find meaningful has value to life....Our lives teach us what is meaningful in the physical world...A starving man may find great meaning in food, but the same man in the same situation may crave justice as fully when it will never directly fill his belly...Being is meaning, and it is out of being that spiritual and moral realities have their meaning, and their value.

It is possible you mis understand and mis present heidegger...The point is that we see not the thing, Res, from which reality, but our conception of it...For physical reality there is a verifyable being, again, that we will never know completely, and yet know plenty in regard to moral reality which is entirely speculation...

MMP2506

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:33 pm
@Fido,
Fido;132783 wrote:
All our moral forms are meanings without being

I was just wondering what this statement was presenting.

It seems to be implying that mental images are meanings that don't exist.

Being is existence, therefore, if something is without being, then it doesn't exist.

Maybe you are mis-representing the word being?

---------- Post added 02-26-2010 at 09:38 PM ----------

Fido;133087 wrote:

It is possible you mis understand and mis present heidegger...The point is that we see not the thing, Res, from which reality, but our conception of it...For physical reality there is a verifyable being, again, that we will never know completely, and yet know plenty in regard to moral reality which is entirely speculation...

The point Heidegger makes concerning reification is that we tend to unnecessarily turn concepts into things. I'm pretty sure that is in line with your theory of abstractness. Something can not be thingy and still exist. Nothing is possible without being, yet being is nothingness. Smile

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:22 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;133114 wrote:
I was just wondering what this statement was presenting.

It seems to be implying that mental images are meanings that don't exist.

Being is existence, therefore, if something is without being, then it doesn't exist.

Maybe you are mis-representing the word being?

No. We exist, and if we find an qusi idea to be real, we give that meaning to it though no true reality can be found for it...These quasi ideas are often what we build our social forms around, so that in the process of living we realize what we only find meaningful at first...

---------- Post added 02-26-2010 at 09:38 PM ----------

The point Heidegger makes concerning reification is that we tend to unnecessarily turn concepts into things. I'm pretty sure that is in line with your theory of abstractness. Something can not be thingy and still exist. Nothing is possible without being, yet being is nothingness. Smile

Yes, that is true about turning concepts into things, and even he was not immune if you can believe his association with the Nazis... Ideas marching oon the feet of men do have a ceratin reality to them...We have known the tyranny of the idea, and should wish it forever past...

For all practical purposes there is no difference between the idea and the thing, and people sort of exist betwen the two, but an idea would not be at all useful if we did not say the thing and conjure the thing in our minds...The concept and the thing are identical, in the proper sense of the principal...

MMP2506

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:28 am
@Fido,
Fido;133121 wrote:
Yes, that is true about turning concepts into things, and even he was not immune if you can believe his association with the Nazis... Ideas marching oon the feet of men do have a ceratin reality to them...We have known the tyranny of the idea, and should wish it forever past...

For all practical purposes there is no difference between the idea and the thing, and people sort of exist betwen the two, but an idea would not be at all useful if we did not say the thing and conjure the thing in our minds...The concept and the thing are identical, in the proper sense of the principal...

Well Im glad you are aware of his political reputation, because that is directly correlated with his wisdom. Congratulations!!!

If you believe the concept and the thing are identical, then you are an idealist and I could present multiple arguments against idealism.

It is obvious that we have no direct access to the thing, so our concept of the thing is all we know, but that doesn't mean that our concept is the thing in itself. If it was, then our own opinion could not ever be proven wrong. The very existence of language and meaning allows us to understand the differences that exist between our perceptions. If you want to be practical then we can, but for all practical purposes you should be a bit more open minded because nobody has everything figured out.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:36:27