Why Philosophize?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:59 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
I think the major reason why the U.S. is messed up today rests on the fact that higher communication and learning skills. Too few people have the necessary skill set to think outside the box, and come up new ideas and better ways of doing things. Ingenuity is sorely lacking in the country, and this can easily be attributed to an educational system that does little inspire creativity and develop critical thinking skill. Its not that skill set is not important, its that the skill set is devalued by modern society and it brand of consumer capitalism. Not to mention, if education trained peoples minds rather than turning them into automatons, then there would be a larger population of "intellectuals."

It appears the country wants people just smart enough to run the machines and operate the cash registers, and just dumb enough not to question their obedient worker status. The capitalist society does not desire critical thinkers, people that realize how bad they're being fucked, and who may pose a threat to the bank accounts of these rich 'politicians' we elect. And if ever something does get brought up to the public, they call upon their little agents of capitalist order: Lobbyists. These little schemers are deep within our government with the intent to keep this money-hungry system in check. They, quite literally, have control of our society.

And the worst part is, there's practically nothing we can do about it without influence that comes from, you guessed it, money! Fighting fire with fire. And even then, it'd be an extremely tough battle. Once someone's wallet gets a little lighter, they'll stop at nothing to baseball bat you to the floor.

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 12:42 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
It appears the country wants people just smart enough to run the machines and operate the cash registers, and just dumb enough not to question their obedient worker status. The capitalist society does not desire critical thinkers, people that realize how bad they're being fucked, and who may pose a threat to the bank accounts of these rich 'politicians' we elect. And if ever something does get brought up to the public, they call upon their little agents of capitalist order: Lobbyists. These little schemers are deep within our government with the intent to keep this money-hungry system in check. They, quite literally, have control of our society.

Questioning authority is probably the most important purpose of philosophy today. Why philosophize? Think and question authority.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 09:53 am
@Faun147,
I belive in:

- productive philosophy
- unproductive philosopy (mastrubational philosophy)

Productive philosophy help people envision workprojects, what new direction they have to stake to stay competetive, etc.

Unproductive philosophy is such as "can god create a rock he can't lift" or Kirkegaard, which doesn't really lead to anything but selfsatisfaction.

rhinogrey

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:04 pm
@Faun147,
The man with a sharpened philosopher's wit knows how to think, how to spot logical deficiencies both in practical and ideological discourse, and can apply this mastery of thinking to any contingent environment. It is the very element that gives humanity it's humane-ness, above the animals. That we can elevate ourselves above the immediate pressure of external objects upon the individual, and observe the relations among objects (ie, how parts fit to the whole). The philosopher that has dedicated himself to the search, has a mind with a great capacity for reaching novel conclusions and catching on quickly to already-established protocol. THOSE are what employers and workers ought to look for--not the rote memorization of vocational techniques.

Especially in this Age of Information, in which half of the top jobs today will be obsolete in two years, the philosopher's brain will be of great value.

Aphoric

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 10:36 pm
@Faun147,
The way I see it: God has blessed us with eyes so that we might look, and philosophy so that we might see.

Jose phil

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 11:57 pm
@Faun147,
I philosophize because I like giving myself big migraines. And go to sleep troubled.
Wake up the next morning thankful I'm still alive despite the tons of existentialism questions I couldn't find an answer to.

I love to live!

Khethil

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 05:12 am
@Theaetetus,
Why Philosophize?

Experience and Knowledge in good proportions, when combined with personal reflection (whose framework comes from philosophy) can result in Wisdom. Wisdom is what I want; what I see, something I value and something I love.

The issues, subjects and conundrums across the five disciplines of philosophy are good "constructs" or "clarifiers" for understanding the events in my life, the directions and basis for my thoughts and what happens in my world. I think philosophy can help better our chances for gaining wisdom and thus live a more fulfilled, aware and in-touch life. Its only as valuable; however, as it helps us in the real - the here and now.

So yea, that's why

:meeting:

Fido

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 05:24 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:
I belive in:

- productive philosophy

Productive philosophy help people envision workprojects, what new direction they have to stake to stay competetive, etc.

Unproductive philosophy is such as "can god create a rock he can't lift" or Kirkegaard, which doesn't really lead to anything but selfsatisfaction.

What I assume is productive philosophy, philosophy with a certain productive goal is not philosophy...You see how theology reasons, with its mind made up, and that too is not philosophy...Goals need to be expressed in the most general terms, like truth, or the imrovement of human kind...

Your example of non productive philosophy is dealing with infintes which are always a dead end, even while they seem so open...It looks like an open road but it is a cull de sac... We are only given finite knowledge...

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

Zetherin wrote:

And the worst part is, there's practically nothing we can do about it without influence that comes from, you guessed it, money! Fighting fire with fire. And even then, it'd be an extremely tough battle. Once someone's wallet gets a little lighter, they'll stop at nothing to baseball bat you to the floor.

The more capitalism directs people and minds toward productive employment the more it endangers itself... Such a working class in Germany added to the destabilization and the rise of hitler...It is inevitable that even the most average of people chained to a meaningless task will some time raise their eyes to the stars and search for meaning...

The thing is, that we actually have so few people in productive employment supporting the whole economy, that without those jobs, all the rest might just fold up like a tent...What ever else you might say about service work, it at least keeps you in touch with people, in touch with meaning... My former job was productive, but much of that thirty years was spent in isolation...Great for me, because I always read, and always had thoughts to mull over... Great for them too, because I conceived of myself as heroic, as me against the world, with a reality to overcome...Running across Nietzsche at a young age gave me much of what I needed and what no one needs...

Dylan phil

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 12:42 am
@Faun147,
Faun147 wrote:
Why is a philosopher a philosopher? It seems to defy practicality. Of course, practicality is not the only issue. What about matters of memory? Can wisdom be forgotten? If so, did we waste our time with philosophy?

I choose interest in philosophy because I do not want a religion telling me why everything is the way it is, et cetera. I would rather find it out on my own other than believing every word that is written in a book that was written so long ago when it is nothing but mythology. In my opinion, nothing is competely forgotten, only lost in the mind. You will remember it eventually if you want to know / remember it enough. Now if you mean wisdom being forgotten as in being discarded from society, et cetera then I think that yes it can be completely forgotten as anything can be hidden or covered up from other's eyes. I would not say that we / I wasted my time with philosophy because in the end I will get what I wanted; my own (complete) view of ethics, religion, politics, et cetera.

Saint Michael

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 08:19 am
@Faun147,
Faun147;38348 wrote:
Why is a philosopher a philosopher? It seems to defy practicality. Of course, practicality is not the only issue. What about matters of memory? Can wisdom be forgotten? If so, did we waste our time with philosophy?

Because I being philosophical is a way I can kill time and answer very important questions that have troubled my life at the same time. Wisdom can be forgotten if the hold allows it to be forgotten.:listening:

The Jester phil

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 11:18 am
@Faun147,
Wisdom and acquired knowledge is useful only in the present, where we act. I always sealed in a good delved cave the thought of what could happen in a future. If I'm to receive an illness that will deprive me of the gathered experience or whatever, so be it. That is the reason why I try to live the best everyday, for I know not what the morrow prepared for me: maybe a good soup, or a sugared soup - "snort!"
As for the first question I know not the answer, my trade is doing jests.

Fido

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 12:27 pm
@Faun147,
Saint Mich;
I can understand wanting to kill time...Time kills everyone...

Saint Michael

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 02:33 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Saint Mich;
I can understand wanting to kill time...Time kills everyone...

Yes if only there was more time to kill.

Fido

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 08:44 pm
@Saint Michael,
Saint Michael wrote:
Yes if only there was more time to kill.

Rejoice... There is still plenty of time to torture....

BrightNoon

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 09:27 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;56131 wrote:
I belive in:

- productive philosophy

Productive philosophy is lazy philosophy.

Fido

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 05:20 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;65477 wrote:
Productive philosophy is lazy philosophy.

Philosophy is all path and no destination...Bring a lunch, a jug of wine and thou... And if you wear perfume and lace, I'll let you win the race...

Let me suggest that productivity is a philosophy...And I mean that with a small p, or an f...

FireWalkWithMe

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:27 pm
@Faun147,
Q: Why philosophize?

A: Put simply: we can't help it.
I think every single person is, on some level, a philosopher. People on this forum are probably more so that your average joe because we sit around here discussing it with one another. Some of us are students of philosophy or read/study philosophy as a hobby. But everyone has philosophical thoughts whether they want to admit (or acknowledge) it or not.

Fido

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 06:20 pm
@Faun147,
The stuff of thought, and even basic problem solving is the material of philosophy... We cannot escape forms no matter how we try to examine them...Forms are as much a part of us as our navels... We look at them and find us...

Paggos

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 06:49 pm
@Faun147,
I'll sum this up in my opinion. We think outside the box because if we didn't humans wouldn't advanced. In psychology it states we have to question our thinking on things because if we didn't we would still be cave men.

Fido

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:53 pm
@Paggos,
Paggos;73178 wrote:
I'll sum this up in my opinion. We think outside the box because if we didn't humans wouldn't advanced. In psychology it states we have to question our thinking on things because if we didn't we would still be cave men.

Cave men were still men... The difference between them and us is more refined forms...Forms, replacing one for another is how we progress....

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:52:25