On the (Im)possibility of Closure

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » On the (Im)possibility of Closure

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:16 pm
1. The act of closing or the state of being closed: closure of an incision.
2. Something that closes or shuts.
3. a. A bringing to an end; a conclusion: finally brought the project to closure.
b. A feeling of finality or resolution, especially after a traumatic experience.

As thinkers, we often seek closure. Perhaps we always seek closure. Perhaps the notion of "the impossibility of closure" is itself a closure.

Most of us assume that reality is singular, that there is one reality, not a reality for each of us. Natural science and practical affairs in general seem to encourage this conception of reality.

But this conception of reality ignores how various are our individual interpretations of this implicitly singular "reality."

Does the denial of the supernatural appeal to us because it simplifies reality? Isn't the idea of one reality predictable by human science is a comfortably small notion. I myself generally deny the supernatural, as a matter of negative-faith.

I just want to open a discussion about this pursuit of closure and how it effects what we proclaim as true. This is connected to the transcendental pretense, but that's another thread.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:18 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129820 wrote:
1. The act of closing or the state of being closed: closure of an incision.
2. Something that closes or shuts.
3. a. A bringing to an end; a conclusion: finally brought the project to closure.
b. A feeling of finality or resolution, especially after a traumatic experience.

As thinkers, we often seek closure. Perhaps we always seek closure. Perhaps the notion of "the impossibility of closure" is itself a closure.

Most of us assume that reality is singular, that there is one reality, not a reality for each of us. Natural science and practical affairs in general seem to encourage this conception of reality.

But this conception of reality ignores how various are our individual interpretations of this implicitly singular "reality."

Does the denial of the supernatural appeal to us because it simplifies reality? Isn't the idea of one reality predictable by human science is a comfortably small notion. I myself generally deny the supernatural, as a matter of negative-faith.

I just want to open a discussion about this pursuit of closure and how it effects what we proclaim as true. This is connected to the transcendental pretense, but that's another thread.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. ?

ughaibu

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:24 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129820 wrote:
I just want to open a discussion about this pursuit of closure and how it effects what we proclaim as true.
If you're talking about explanatory completeness, this seems to be false, so, I would class its pursuit as a mistake. But I dont see how explanatory incompleteness impacts truth, unless "truth" is some species of 'theory of everything'.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:40 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;129825 wrote:
If you're talking about explanatory completeness, this seems to be false, so, I would class its pursuit as a mistake. But I dont see how explanatory incompleteness impacts truth, unless "truth" is some species of 'theory of everything'.

The implicit self-love of the above post is a better example of closure. To speak from confidence is a manifestation of closure. To be certain that one's method is correct is an example of closure. To cease asking one's self fundamental and self-concept-endangering questions is an example of closure.

---------- Post added 02-18-2010 at 11:41 PM ----------

ughaibu;129825 wrote:
I would class its pursuit as a mistake.

To class something as a mistake requires a sense at least of temporary closure.

ughaibu

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:46 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129830 wrote:
To class something as a mistake requires a sense at least of temporary closure.
I suspect that there's a better chance of this thread being productive if you rigourise your definition of "closure".

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:00 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;129835 wrote:
I suspect that there's a better chance of this thread being productive if you rigourise your definition of "closure".

I suspect you are correct, and welcome to the forum!

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:01 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;129835 wrote:

You want me to close in on what I mean by closure? I'm coming from the context of Rorty on Derrida. Rorty said Derrida's great theme was the "impossibility of closure. " It especially applies to meta-philosophy. Many philosophers have tried to limit the purpose of philosophy, to close it. Many have claimed to have solved this closed philosophy game. Think of it as a state of mind that is emotional as well as ideological.

ughaibu

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:07 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129840 wrote:
welcome to the forum!
Thank you for the welcome.

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:19 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129841 wrote:
You want me to close in on what I mean by closure? I'm coming from the context of Rorty on Derrida. Rorty said Derrida's great theme was the "impossibility of closure. " It especially applies to meta-philosophy. Many philosophers have tried to limit the purpose of philosophy, to close it. Many have claimed to have solved this closed philosophy game. Think of it as a state of mind that is emotional as well as ideological.

You mean put two adjectives in front of a word?!? *brain implodes*

ughaibu

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:22 pm
@Reconstructo,
Many philosophers have tried to limit the purpose of philosophy, to close it. Many have claimed to have solved this closed philosophy game. Think of it as a state of mind that is emotional as well as ideological.
Okay, let's see what that leads to.
Reconstructo;129830 wrote:
The implicit self-love of the above post is a better example of closure. To speak from confidence is a manifestation of closure. To be certain that one's method is correct is an example of closure. . . . . To class something as a mistake requires a sense at least of temporary closure.
So that I can get an idea of your meaning, by example, please explain the implication that I am:
1) trying to limit the purpose of philosophy, or
2) claiming to have solved a limited purpose that I have set for philosophy, or
3) displaying emotion.
My classification as "mistake" is a conclusion, are you claiming that conclusions are impossible because they're a form of closure?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:25 pm
@Reconstructo,

Does that mean that since you are coming from the context of Rorty on Derrida that you cannot make anything rigorous, or even comprehensible. I am inclined to agree, but I never thought you would admit it so readily. But maybe you don't care about rigor or comprehensibility. I had not thought about that. Perhaps you could walk away from Rorty being on Derrida for a moment, as fascinating as that might be, and deal with the question of what you mean by "closure". For instance, what is it you think is being closed?

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:52 pm
@ughaibu,
This is from the camp for the Impossibility of Closure (as a form of Closure?)

I noted that when seeking to deflate the apocalyptic tendencies of deconstruction, Rorty insisted that we increasingly understand ourselves as resting on a fountain of puns and metaphors. But I also noted that there seems to be an ongoing tendency, in Rorty's universe, for once-molten metaphors to "objectify" or congeal and for human beings, in their metaphysical necrophilia, to
[CENTER]― 242 ―[/CENTER]
worship the corpses. So we need to keep showing up and undermining that still-metaphysical tendency. But do the particular metaphors that have in fact resulted-become ours, us-have to be the objects of such misplaced worship? What if we were to experience them as nothing more than what they are, as nothing but history? We would no longer worship them, certainly, but we have seen that new preoccupations intrude as metaphysics fades, as we escape even its shadow.
Fundamental to Rorty's response was the suffocating experience, explored first by Nietzsche, of being always already caught up in a particular history-determined by a past not chosen and confined to a present that is nothing but the haphazard resultant of the whole of that past. With the reduction to history, the anxiety of influence that Bloom explored with respect to poetry becomes general, because everything is wound around metaphor coming to us from a past that threatens our autonomy.[[URL="javascript://"]54[/URL]]
Thus Rorty, still following Bloom, advocated the actively "strong misreadings" that yield new metaphors; the alternative, merely to "read," is to be confined to the particular line of the actual, with the present seemingly encompassing the embryo of any future. More specifically, to seek "truth" as opposed to a disruptive irony is to remain subservient to metaphors now congealed. Our tendency to worship corpses is the other side of the tendency of particularizing history to ensnare us, limiting what we can say, do, even be, in ways we have not chosen. So the premium is on irony, even quirkiness, as opposed to truth or reconnection.
Nothing but History

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:02 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129864 wrote:
This is from the camp for the Impossibility of Closure (as a form of Closure?)

I noted that when seeking to deflate the apocalyptic tendencies of deconstruction, Rorty insisted that we increasingly understand ourselves as resting on a fountain of puns and metaphors. But I also noted that there seems to be an ongoing tendency, in Rorty's universe, for once-molten metaphors to "objectify" or congeal and for human beings, in their metaphysical necrophilia, to
[CENTER]― 242 ―[/CENTER]
worship the corpses. So we need to keep showing up and undermining that still-metaphysical tendency. But do the particular metaphors that have in fact resulted-become ours, us-have to be the objects of such misplaced worship? What if we were to experience them as nothing more than what they are, as nothing but history? We would no longer worship them, certainly, but we have seen that new preoccupations intrude as metaphysics fades, as we escape even its shadow.
Fundamental to Rorty's response was the suffocating experience, explored first by Nietzsche, of being always already caught up in a particular history-determined by a past not chosen and confined to a present that is nothing but the haphazard resultant of the whole of that past. With the reduction to history, the anxiety of influence that Bloom explored with respect to poetry becomes general, because everything is wound around metaphor coming to us from a past that threatens our autonomy.[54]
Thus Rorty, still following Bloom, advocated the actively "strong misreadings" that yield new metaphors; the alternative, merely to "read," is to be confined to the particular line of the actual, with the present seemingly encompassing the embryo of any future. More specifically, to seek "truth" as opposed to a disruptive irony is to remain subservient to metaphors now congealed. Our tendency to worship corpses is the other side of the tendency of particularizing history to ensnare us, limiting what we can say, do, even be, in ways we have not chosen. So the premium is on irony, even quirkiness, as opposed to truth or reconnection.
Nothing but History

I need to get some books by Rorty, could you PM me if you have any (pdfs I mean)?

"to see "truth" as opposed to a disruptive irony is to remain subservient to metaphors now congealed"

that says it all now doesn't it... rebellion against status quo may look useless but history teaches us otherwise.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:11 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129874 wrote:
I need to get some books by Rorty, could you PM me if you have any (pdfs I mean)?

"to see "truth" as opposed to a disruptive irony is to remain subservient to metaphors now congealed"

that says it all now doesn't it... rebellion against status quo may look useless but history teaches us otherwise.

Rorty is great. He's famous but not as famous as he deserves. My opinion of course. He takes the best of Nietzsche, leaves out the bitterness. I don't have any PDF but here are some links to sample fragments of his books. I scored my Rorty books from the library by chance. What's great about Rorty is how well he writes of Nietzsche, Wittgenstein, Heidegger, Dewey, and many others. He writes with wit in a clear English. I can guarantee you that a certain someone is going to make some silly negative comment, but that should be understood as a further recommendation.

Contingency, irony, and solidarity - Google Books
Essays on Heidegger and others - Google Books
Objectivity, relativism, and truth - Google Books

Arjuna

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:01 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129880 wrote:
Rorty is great. He's famous but not as famous as he deserves.
I've become a Rorty fan. I have respect for anybody who bothers to make their philosophical spins understandable (festivus for the restivus.)

But you alluded to the emotional aspect of closure: it's a grave stone. One could argue that the impossibility of closure is evident in the nature of time: maybe in the next moment I won't actually be something new and unique... maybe it will be just another winter me on just another human day.

But to the extent that this new moment is about the receive the birth of a tragic, comic, grand, and ridiculous totality broken in unreconcilable parts in relief against its own shadow of unified oblivion... how can there ever be a sum up... a this is how it is: ?

It's not that I'd rather be in a dingy on the open sea instead of wrapped up in a static mummy tomb: it's just that life is... um... I don't know how to end this sentence.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 02:41 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;129988 wrote:

But you alluded to the emotional aspect of closure: it's a grave stone. One could argue that the impossibility of closure is evident in the nature of time: maybe in the next moment I won't actually be something new and unique... maybe it will be just another winter me on just another human day.

I used the word "closure" loosely. Let's say that from time to time a human feels on top of things, that he has the secret, the truth, the whatever. But it doesn't last. Wittgenstein and Hegel both claimed to have solved the major problem(s) of philosophy. Probably Schopenhauer. So subjectively, they experience closure.

Looking at Rorty and Derrida. They seem to suggest the impossibility of closure, but is itself a sort of closure. They give up looking for closure, and this is the closing of the case against closure.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 02:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129853 wrote:
Does that mean that since you are coming from the context of Rorty on Derrida that you cannot make anything rigorous, or even comprehensible. I am inclined to agree, but I never thought you would admit it so readily. But maybe you don't care about rigor or comprehensibility. I had not thought about that. Perhaps you could walk away from Rorty being on Derrida for a moment, as fascinating as that might be, and deal with the question of what you mean by "closure". For instance, what is it you think is being closed?

I would say that in Derrida's case closure would be a fixed and final meaning for a text. In a broader sense, closure would be a sort of final philosophy, the one that finally gets it right. Wittgenstein in the TLP claimed closure. Hegel claimed Absolute Knowledge. Schopenhauer was pretty satisfied even before he was 30. He spent the rest of his life editing details.

You are correct that I don't care that much about rigor. As far as comprehensibility, that's not so simple. Sentences demand interpretation.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:36 pm
@Reconstructo,
We need a book full of quotes. More than a few philosophers have claimed to have solved all the important problems in philosophy. And that must be a beautiful feeling.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:46 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;131726 wrote:
We need a book full of quotes. More than a few philosophers have claimed to have solved all the important problems in philosophy. And that must be a beautiful feeling.

Can you name just one of these philosophers?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 02:49 am
@kennethamy,
Well I have obviously to believe in Closure... implicitly everytime... how would we comunicate without it ? Explicitly with the end of History...
(as Arjuna pointed out I guess)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » On the (Im)possibility of Closure
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 06:09:32