What do you exactly call philosophy?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Deckard

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:09 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127801 wrote:
Perhaps you might consider the possibility that recent philosophy has not become anti-philosophical, but only anti- your particular preconception of philosophy. It reminds me of beginning students who think that David Hume rejected causality, when, in fact, he only rejected a particular conception of causality. Kant was accused of the same crime that you accuse recent philosophers of, when he wrote how he was awakened from his "dogmatic slumbers" by "that astute man, David Hume". Kant, too, rejected the metaphysics he had learned, and was accused of rejecting metaphysics tout court. It is often the case that those who are steeped in a certain view of some subject react to a rejection of that particular view of the subject as a rejection of the subject itself. This notoriously occurred when Galileo changed the nature of the study of the physical world. Thomas Kuhn's book, on scientific revolutions is very enlightening on this whole issue.

This seems to relate to changes in our understanding of science but does any of this relate to changes in our understanding of virtue?

jeeprs

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:13 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
Deckard;127798 wrote:
Even Buddha seems to have placed the responsibility of salvation upon the individual. I'm not sure if it is the centrality of the ego that is the central to the problem. Can not much of Buddhism be rendered in terms of "enlightened self-interest"?

But what is 'the individual'? The whole method of Buddhism is an exercise in deconstruction. Every moment of experience is observed to have three marks: impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, and non-self-ness. These are rather awkward renditions of the Pali terms annica, dukkha, annatta, but the meaning is fairly clear. 'The self' in the sense of ego is a bundle of reactive emotions and sensations that 'arise according to conditions, stay awhile, and then cease'. This insight is real-ized through the practice of vipassana meditation through which the aspirant sees that this is actually the case - it is not a 'belief system' but a way of understanding and being, an applied psychology and practice and way of life.

Yet it is also true that the Buddha says we are responsible for our own destiny. So that fact that you can apply the Buddha's remedy means there is a life - I won't say a self - beyond ego, or perhaps you could say, a life beyond one's sense of self-identity. Of course the Buddhist aspirant retains a sense of personal identity but this is no longer the axis around which everything revolves. There arises a sense of fluid and dynamic openness and compassion and a sense of non-seperateness from life and from all other beings. This is 'the realization of emptiness' that comes about from Buddhist meditation. It is a marvelous thing.

As to the rise of the worship of ego in modern philosophy, it goes right back to the creation of the humanism of Petrarch, Erasmus and the Italian Renaissance. This in turn was a rejection of the absolute abasement of the human personality and the earthly life in medieval Christendom. It was a move towards a human-centred , instead of a God-centred outlook. Then Cartesian dualism crystallized and abstracted the whole of being into res extentia and res cogitans, and it was very simple thereafter to say that res cogitans didn't really exist at all - after all, it could not be shown to exist - it was simply Ryle's famous 'ghost in the machine'. So this kind of disposes of any kind of spiritual reality. From there a short step to the social/private individual as sovereign in the liberal democracy in a world shorn of any higher meaning.

Of course individualism and liberal democracy are both great in their own way. I am not suggesting reversion to some earlier idealised social form. But when the individual becomes his or her own end, then ego or self becomes the be-all and end-all. And ain't that how it is for most of us nowadays. Deep down it is bound to be sorrowful because ultimately we know we are clinging to something that has no real existence. Hence the pervasive sense of lack in modern society. Emptiness, of a different and much sadder kind.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:14 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;127805 wrote:
This seems to relate to changes in our understanding of science but does any of this relate to changes in our understanding of virtue?

Yes, indeed, since the notion of virtue underwent revolutions too. You might want to look at, After Virtue, a book on moral philosophy by Alasdair MacIntyre.

Deckard

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:53 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;127808 wrote:

Yet it is also true that the Buddha says we are responsible for our own destiny. So that fact that you can apply the Buddha's remedy means there is a life - I won't say a self - beyond ego, or perhaps you could say, a life beyond one's sense of self-identity. Of course the Buddhist aspirant retains a sense of personal identity but this is no longer the axis around which everything revolves. There arises a sense of fluid and dynamic openness and compassion and a sense of non-seperateness from life and from all other beings. This is 'the realization of emptiness' that comes about from Buddhist meditation. It is a marvelous thing.

There is present in western enlightened self-interest at least some recognition of a life beyond ones own self-identity and the dynamic interrelatedness of all things. In any case subjective/objective problem is recognized by western philosophy in ethics as well as other departments. Thomas Nagel's View from Nowhere comes to mind. I'll also join kennethamy in recommending McIntyre's After Virtue. Two books very different books that I need to spend some more time with as well.

I believe that Buddhism, Eastern Philosophy, Shamanic traditions etc. in general still has much to teach Western Philosophy but it can also be said that Western Philosophy still has much to teach these traditions. It is easy to fall back on established traditions (whether East or West) because they are relatively clear cut and easy to understand compared to the fragmented ideas that are found where worlds collide. Synthesis is a messy thing but I think it is also a worthy endeavor.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:52 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;127781 wrote:
Hear hear. Well said and I concur. This is why I am turning to traditional philosophies of various kinds, because I honestly believe that much modern, or should I say 20th century, philosophy, is actually anti-philosophy because it is based on the centrality of the ego. Your statement 'those who are capable of living virtuous lives' would be agreed to by philosophers of all creeds and cultures, yet it remain a hard task. But if it were not difficult, there would be no need for philosophy.

I like the conception of philosophy as the love of wisdom. But I also need a good name for what I at the moment call first-science. I got the name and the conception of this so-called first-science from philosophy, or from what gets labeled as philosophy. First-science isn't necessarily wisdom by any means. It's something else. And yet it's utterly associated, for me, with philosophy. Where do we put all the most difficult questions if not in the genre of philosophy? I ask sincerely, not rhetorically.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:06 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128018 wrote:
I like the conception of philosophy as the love of wisdom.

Just what has liking to do with it? Suppose I like the conception of philately as the love of sticky stuff. Would that make it true that philately was the love of sticky stuff?

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:05 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128022 wrote:
Just what has liking to do with it?

I wish you meant this question sincerely. Liking has everything to do with any epistemology that isn't a child's toy. Thinking is not divorced from feeling, however much it sometimes pretends to be for various reasons. We are not cold calculators of truth, but animals with needs. As Hume says: reason is the slave of the passions. This implies the possibility that all reason is rhetoric, which takes us into first-science, a bottomless pit of questions. If reason is the slave of the passions, then Hume's reasonable statement is the slave of his passions. He said once that his dominant passion was the desire for literary fame. Hume's skepticism puts itself into doubt.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:45 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;127984 wrote:
I believe that Buddhism, Eastern Philosophy, Shamanic traditions etc. in general still has much to teach Western Philosophy but it can also be said that Western Philosophy still has much to teach these traditions.

I quite agree. The best presentation I went to at the Science and Nonduality Conference I attended in Oct 09 was by a Tomas Sander who was described as a software designer, environmentalist and author. He gave a great talk on Madhyamika (Buddhist) philosophy and its contact points with post-modernism, Rorty and Wittgenstein.

My motivation is to seek out things that I am missing. I have respect for western philosophy, but it doesn't offer what I am looking for. That is why I have become interested in Buddhism.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 01:03 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;127808 wrote:

As to the rise of the worship of ego in modern philosophy, it goes right back to the creation of the humanism of Petrarch, Erasmus and the Italian Renaissance.

Your entire post was great. Excellent thoughts on an excellent subject matter. I guess I just want to pipe in on what I consider the positive side of Western ego philosophy. Kant' s "Copernican revolution" as it applies to "That Art Thou." The West realizes that reality and the self are interdependent. This would explain why Rorty and Wittgenstein (extensions of this self-consciousness of subject) link up to Buddhism, etc. Did Buddha, on the way to Enlightenment, go through a dialectic something like that of Western philosophy's? Did he wrestle with epistemology and psychology? I would think so, but I'm hardly an expert.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 01:26 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128074 wrote:
I wish you meant this question sincerely. Liking has everything to do with any epistemology that isn't a child's toy. Thinking is not divorced from feeling, however much it sometimes pretends to be for various reasons. We are not cold calculators of truth, but animals with needs. As Hume says: reason is the slave of the passions. This implies the possibility that all reason is rhetoric, which takes us into first-science, a bottomless pit of questions. If reason is the slave of the passions, then Hume's reasonable statement is the slave of his passions. He said once that his dominant passion was the desire for literary fame. Hume's skepticism puts itself into doubt.

So, what would follow from my liking a particular definition of a term it it were not a correct definition? And could you please stick to the question?

jeeprs

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 01:45 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
Reconstructo;128093 wrote:
The West realizes that reality and the self are interdependent. This would explain why Rorty and Wittgenstein (extensions of this self-consciousness of subject) link up to Buddhism, etc. Did Buddha, on the way to Enlightenment, go through a dialectic something like that of Western philosophy's? Did he wrestle with epistemology and psychology? I would think so, but I'm hardly an expert.

It is interesting, although somewhat foreign to the modern outlook, that the Buddha, on the night of his final Enlightenment which was the culmination of his long years of searching, as he sat beneath the Bo tree, suddenly recalled all of his previous lives, in complete detail. 'My name was such-and-such, my station in life was thus, I lived this long, I died like so....' (I can't quite put my finger on the chapter and verse but it is canonical).Also this ultimate realization culminated in an exclamation along the lines of 'I have seen the house-builder, now I understand what creates this whole morass of suffering, woe and distress'; at which point, he declares that he has 'gone beyond' and 'the fever of life is no more'

Now whether this answers your question directly, I am not entirely confident. We can surmise, however, that the Buddha is at a 'station of consciousness' which is beyond that of the 'uninstructed worldling'. So at this point, he has gone through, and beyond, all the various stages and phases of consciousness. However throughout all of his subsequent teaching career, his teaching was completely focused on helping his listeners, monks and laypersons, understand and apply the principle, the teaching, which would enable them to reach the same realization.

Schopenhauer was the first modern Western philosopher to acquaint himself with the Sanskrit literature, and from his time on, some Buddhist elements were incorporated in Western philosophy (e.g.in the Kojeve text on Hegel there are quite a few references to 'the Eastern sages' who are regarded as among the normative examples of wisdom). Nietzsche thought that Buddhism was far superior to Christianity, although I suspect he really didn't understand it at all. But in any case, since Schopenhaur's time, and also since Max Muller established the Chair of Sanskrit at Oxford, Buddhist and Hindu philosophical ideas have had at least some influence on Western philosophy, and indeed I am sure there are many possible integration points between the two outlooks. Heidegger believed that Zen Buddhism was very similar in outlook to what he was teaching, and many have noted resemblances between the later Wittgenstein and certain elements in Zen (i.e. the idea of 'throwing away the ladder' is directly comparable to the Buddhist idea of 'discarding the raft'.)

As to the Buddhist attitude to epistemology and psychology, the Buddhist 'Abhidhamma' is an ancient system of philosophical psychology that, I think, remains completely coherent and relevant, and indeed is one of the foundations of the emerging discipline of 'embodied cognition'. As regards Buddhist epistemology, this is all very well explained in T.R.V. Murti's excellent 'The Central Philosophy of Buddhism' which is a great book for anyone with a background in Western philosophy who wants a good introduction to Buddhist dialectics.

Deckard

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 02:37 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;128122 wrote:

Schopenhauer was the first modern Western philosopher to acquaint himself with the Sanskrit literature, and from his time on, some Buddhist elements were incorporated in Western philosophy (e.g.in the Kojeve text on Hegel there are quite a few references to 'the Eastern sages' who are regarded as among the normative examples of wisdom). Nietzsche thought that Buddhism was far superior to Christianity, although I suspect he really didn't understand it at all. But in any case, since Schopenhaur's time, and also since Max Muller established the Chair of Sanskrit at Oxford, Buddhist and Hindu philosophical ideas have had at least some influence on Western philosophy, and indeed I am sure there are many possible integration points between the two outlooks. Heidegger believed that Zen Buddhism was very similar in outlook to what he was teaching, and many have noted resemblances between the later Wittgenstein and certain elements in Zen (i.e. the idea of 'throwing away the ladder' is directly comparable to the Buddhist idea of 'discarding the raft'.)

I often bring up the ladder raft similarity. Interesting that one is vertical while the other is horizontal. Arboreal vs. rhizomatic? But I suppose it's best not to make too much of such minor details.

Also, when you mentioned Schopenhaur and Hegel so close together it occurred to me that they were contemporaries and more or less rivals. I remember Hegel, in Philosophy of History, spoke of the history of the East, or at least the history of the Far East as an historical dead end. Schopenhaur embraced the East; did Hegel reject it? Just an observation; I'm probably over simplifying things.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 03:07 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
I think worthy of a whole new post. My knowledge of both of them amounts to snippets, although from what I know of both I prefer Schopenhauer's brevity (a quality which Hegel could never be accused of.) But it is an area I really need to read more of.

I don't want to idealize the 'Mystic East' either but I could not live without the scope that Indian philosophy provides. There is something in it I find indispensable.

Deckard

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:06 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;128147 wrote:
I think worthy of a whole new post. My knowledge of both of them amounts to snippets, although from what I know of both I prefer Schopenhauer's brevity (a quality which Hegel could never be accused of.) But it is an area I really need to read more of.

I don't want to idealize the 'Mystic East' either but I could not live without the scope that Indian philosophy provides. There is something in it I find indispensable.

Is there an Eastern/Western synthesis page yet? Still I think this discussion is very much part of the answer to the OP.

Here's a question if Eastern Philosophy was stripped of all its "mystical" qualities whether they be real or imagined would it start looking a lot more like Western Philosophy?

sometime sun

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:11 pm
@kennethamy,
Probably been already said;
QWhat exactly do you call philosophy?
APhilosophy.

What do I call a philosopher?

Philosophers have more than one calling.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:11 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128109 wrote:
So, what would follow from my liking a particular definition of a term it it were not a correct definition? And could you please stick to the question?

It's all about context. A hip little sub-group has words it understands how to use that are not defined by Webster (the little guy who had his own show), for instance.

---------- Post added 02-14-2010 at 09:14 PM ----------

Deckard;128303 wrote:
Is there an Eastern/Western synthesis page yet?

I like the sound of this.

---------- Post added 02-14-2010 at 09:18 PM ----------

Deckard;128303 wrote:

Here's a question if Eastern Philosophy was stripped of all its "mystical" qualities whether they be real or imagined would it start looking a lot more like Western Philosophy?

It seems quite possible. The mystical can't, so far as I conceive it, just be written down. So clues are written down, right? The ladder/raft connection was a great example of things used as hints. I suspect we would find more parallels.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:35 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;128303 wrote:
if Eastern Philosophy was stripped of all its "mystical" qualities whether they be real or imagined would it start looking a lot more like Western Philosophy?

That would depend on what 'mystical qualities' it could be said to comprise. There are schools of thought that early (or 'original') Buddhism is not mystical at all, but very much closer to certain pre-socratic philosophies including stoicism and skepticism. A current, well-known writer by the name of Stephen Bachelor presents this kind of view in Buddhism without Beliefs and another forthcoming title of his (although personally, I don't buy it.)

A book I have mentioned previosly, The Shape of Ancient Thought, by Thomas McEvilly, also provides highly detailed comparisions of ancient Greek and Indian philoosphies, particularly in relation to Platonism, Neo-platonism, skepticism, Buddhism and Vedanta. It argues pretty convincingly for a great deal more commonality between the two traditions, at least in ancient times, than is previously been acknowledged which he says traded many ideas and contacts along the ancient silk routes. He says it is possible there were Jain and Buddhist missionaries in ancient Alexandria, and that the Upanisads were known to the Church Fathers.

Finally, understanding what exactly 'mysticism' signifies is important, in my view. It is almost a derogatory term for many realists or materialists, kind of a shorthand for 'vague, ill-defined, woolly thinking or emotionalism'. In fact mysticism is a large and heterogenous spectrum of experience and knowledge, and a fertile source of much that is lasting in philosophy. It is often overlooked that Giordano Bruno, Isaac Newton, and other founders of Western sciences had what we would regard as 'mystical tendencies'. There is also an important dialog emerging between science and Eastern philosopy, not least the bi-annual Science and Mind conferences chaired by the Dalai Lama, neuro-scientists and philosophers.

I personally believe that in a future Western philosophy will have absorbed many fundamental ideas from Eastern sources, and in fact that this is already happening. Post-relativity physics is much more compatible with Mahayana Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta than anything in Aristotle.

---------- Post added 02-15-2010 at 01:52 PM ----------

incidentally, I know I am spouting a lot of info here but I have been studying all this since 1978 and on the Forum I am getting the first chance to talk about any of it.....

sometime sun

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:57 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;128318 wrote:
That would depend on what 'mystical qualities' it could be said to comprise. There are schools of thought that early (or 'original') Buddhism is not mystical at all, but very much closer to certain pre-socratic philosophies including stoicism and skepticism. A current, well-known writer by the name of Stephen Bachelor presents this kind of view in Buddhism without Beliefs and another forthcoming title of his (although personally, I don't buy it.)

A book I have mentioned previosly, The Shape of Ancient Thought, by Thomas McEvilly, also provides highly detailed comparisions of ancient Greek and Indian philoosphies, particularly in relation to Platonism, Neo-platonism, skepticism, Buddhism and Vedanta. It argues pretty convincingly for a great deal more commonality between the two traditions, at least in ancient times, than is previously been acknowledged which he says traded many ideas and contacts along the ancient silk routes. He says it is possible there were Jain and Buddhist missionaries in ancient Alexandria, and that the Upanisads were known to the Church Fathers.

Finally, understanding what exactly 'mysticism' signifies is important, in my view. It is almost a derogatory term for many realists or materialists, kind of a shorthand for 'vague, ill-defined, woolly thinking or emotionalism'. In fact mysticism is a large and heterogenous spectrum of experience and knowledge, and a fertile source of much that is lasting in philosophy. It is often overlooked that Giordano Bruno, Isaac Newton, and other founders of Western sciences had what we would regard as 'mystical tendencies'. There is also an important dialog emerging between science and Eastern philosopy, not least the bi-annual Science and Mind conferences chaired by the Dalai Lama, neuro-scientists and philosophers.

I personally believe that in a future Western philosophy will have absorbed many fundamental ideas from Eastern sources, and in fact that this is already happening. Post-relativity physics is much more compatible with Mahayana Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta than anything in Aristotle.

---------- Post added 02-15-2010 at 01:52 PM ----------

incidentally, I know I am spouting a lot of info here but I have been studying all this since 1978 and on the Forum I am getting the first chance to talk about any of it.....

You want to do something with the Upanishads?
Good to be hearing you.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:06 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;128303 wrote:
Is there an Eastern/Western synthesis page yet? Still I think this discussion is very much part of the answer to the OP.

There would be nothing left.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:13 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
'If ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise' - Shakespeare.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 08:22:38