What do you exactly call philosophy?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 05:08 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;107914 wrote:
I agree with that too. I don't expect everyone to seek the same things in philosophy and indeed the analytical and logical aspects of the subject are of more interest to many than the metaphysical side. But my motivation has been different, I am interested in, and will try and represent to the best of my ability, the spiritual or 'pan-religious' side of the subject. And I am pleased to find that there is plenty in Western philosophy that supports this aspect of philosophy still.

And no, we are not 'alone', and we will never be if we are recognise we are 'all-one' - and the world we have made is very much one of our own creation. 'As you think, so you become'.

Perhaps some recent Western philosophy. What are you thinking of? Maybe on the Continent. I really don't know what they are getting at over there.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:50 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
What makes philosophy grand is that it does not finish determining its own purpose. For philosophy can be described as the conceptual cutting-edge of mankind.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 01:29 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
BMW;26989 wrote:
I started a thread more or less like this one some time ago.

What is the argument you obtain normally when you ask someone why isn't he or she (*) interested in philosophy? In my case, I've been answered most times that it is useless.

Would any kind of philosophy be of any use to someone who is completely satisfied about his way of living?

I guess philosophy (not history of philosophy) is sort of patrimony of the unsatisfied.

So I'll asume most people here thinks there must be something else/better... No matter wether he is religious or atheist or agnostic or...

What are you looking for?

And, why are you looking for it? Do you think there is some universal reason to take interest in philosophy (**)? Do you think mankind will evolve towards a philosophical way of understanding?

(*) I'll stick to the he from now on, I find this political correction tiresome and I assure you I don't intend to offend anybody. Being myself a "she", I guess it's ok.

(**) I mean: Is there any kind of pattern in the events that lead someone to take interest in philosophy?

If people think philosopy is useless, they'r immensly ignorent (utterly stupid) To ponder, to ask "why, how, when, if ..etc" is philosophy!

Philosophy and sience go hand in hand, without it we wouldn't have schools, navigation, hospitals, geometric, TV, hot water, the wheel ..etc, all evolved from philosophers who envisioned that there was more to life than a blunt stick and smelly armpits.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 01:47 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;127390 wrote:
If people think philosopy is useless, they'r immensly ignorent (utterly stupid) To ponder, to ask "why, how, when, if ..etc" is philosophy!

Philosophy and sience go hand in hand, without it we wouldn't have schools, navigation, hospitals, geometric, TV, hot water, the wheel ..etc, all evolved from philosophers who envisioned that there was more to life than a blunt stick and smelly armpits.

I agree. Philosophy is swell. Is questioning always philosophy? You say so. I say sometimes.
Is philosophy useless? Some people have said so as a complement. It's like Oscar Wilde on art, who loved art. Well, to ask "why is there anything?" is not as useful as growing crops. Still, I'm glad you like philosophy. Welcome aboard.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:52 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127395 wrote:
I agree. Philosophy is swell. Is questioning always philosophy? You say so. I say sometimes.
if adding a "can" makes you happier, then I will. :phone:
But out of curiosity, when is it not?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 07:24 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
Wittgenstein tells us that philosophy is an activity, not a theory. It is not a set of truths, but it consists in the analysis and understanding of our basic concepts of thought and language. Sounds right to me.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 08:35 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127429 wrote:
Wittgenstein tells us that philosophy is an activity, not a theory. It is not a set of truths, but it consists in the analysis and understanding of our basic concepts of thought and language. Sounds right to me.
It sounds wrong to me, with this 'activity' you can also produce a theory. If it's an activity alone ..it's just a waste of time or mere amusement for a party.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 09:29 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;127437 wrote:
It sounds wrong to me, with this 'activity' you can also produce a theory. If it's an activity alone ..it's just a waste of time or mere amusement for a party.

If it is an activity alone, it can produce clarification, and that may make us understand what we did not understand before the activity. Don't you think that is something useful? If, for example, we clarify the question, what is it for something to exist, we may be able to discover the answer.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:58 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127454 wrote:
If it is an activity alone, it can produce clarification, and that may make us understand what we did not understand before the activity. Don't you think that is something useful? If, for example, we clarify the question, what is it for something to exist, we may be able to discover the answer.
You have to have a theory in order to produce clarification.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:03 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;127486 wrote:
You have to have a theory in order to produce clarification.

A theory about what?

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:36 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127490 wrote:
A theory about what?
Clarification about what?

prothero

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:01 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
Traditional Philosophy, I would say, is reasoned speculation about matters of ultimate concern.
Analytic Philosophy and logical positivism, I would say, is logical analysis about matters of trivial or limited concern.
At least it is clear which side of the fence I prefer.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:15 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;127509 wrote:
Clarification about what?

Clarification of the concepts like knowledge, understanding, morality, and so on.

A theory about what?

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 04:16 PM ----------

prothero;127596 wrote:
Traditional Philosophy, I would say, is reasoned speculation about matters of ultimate concern.
Analytic Philosophy and logical positivism, I would say, is logical analysis about matters of trivial or limited concern.
At least it is clear which side of the fence I prefer.

Knowledge and morality are matters of trivial and limited concern? Hmm.

prothero

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 12:02 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127601 wrote:
Knowledge and morality are matters of trivial and limited concern? Hmm.

I do not think morality lends itself well to the verification principle.
Knowledge is justified belief? (read belief that can be verified) . Rather severely limits the concept of knowledge from my position but it is clear that our more basic worldviews are fundamentally quite different and most of our other philosophical differences arise from those more fundamental metaphysical disagreements.

Deckard

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 12:26 am
@prothero,
For me the question "What is philosophy?" reduces to the question "What is wisdom?" I hold that philosophy is the love of, or search for, wisdom. Wisdom is difficult to define in today's terms. Wisdom requires intelligence both practical and theoretical. I think that those who are capable of living virtuous lives, no matter what the circumstances, are among the wise. Another litmus test for wisdom is the ability to give good advice to others.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 01:14 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
Hear hear. Well said and I concur. This is why I am turning to traditional philosophies of various kinds, because I honestly believe that much modern, or should I say 20th century, philosophy, is actually anti-philosophy because it is based on the centrality of the ego. Your statement 'those who are capable of living virtuous lives' would be agreed to by philosophers of all creeds and cultures, yet it remain a hard task. But if it were not difficult, there would be no need for philosophy.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 03:35 am
@prothero,
prothero;127775 wrote:
I do not think morality lends itself well to the verification principle.
Knowledge is justified belief? (read belief that can be verified) . Rather severely limits the concept of knowledge from my position but it is clear that our more basic worldviews are fundamentally quite different and most of our other philosophical differences arise from those more fundamental metaphysical disagreements.

The concept of morality lends itself to close analysis. And no one thinks that knowledge is merely justified belief, no one, beginning with Plato in the Theatetus, who analyzes knowledge as true belief with logos (an "account" or justification). But, I suppose that according to you, Plato had very limited concerns and was really not much of a philosopher.

If morality and knowledge (and existence) are of limited concern, what, then should philosophers discuss? The winter Olympics?

---------- Post added 02-13-2010 at 04:42 AM ----------

jeeprs;127781 wrote:
Hear hear. Well said and I concur. This is why I am turning to traditional philosophies of various kinds, because I honestly believe that much modern, or should I say 20th century, philosophy, is actually anti-philosophy because it is based on the centrality of the ego. Your statement 'those who are capable of living virtuous lives' would be agreed to by philosophers of all creeds and cultures, yet it remain a hard task. But if it were not difficult, there would be no need for philosophy.

So, please read my post 117. Since modern philosophers are discussing exactly the same issue as did Plato in his Theatetus, namely the nature of knowledge, and, indeed, discussing Plato's account of knowledge, which traditional classic (and classical) philosopher are you going to read rather than the modern philosophers? You will certainly have to skip Plato, then. The trouble is, of course, that your criticism displays an appalling ignorance of what it is you are criticizing. Sorry, but there is no other way I can say it.

Deckard

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 03:45 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;127781 wrote:
This is why I am turning to traditional philosophies of various kinds, because I honestly believe that much modern, or should I say 20th century, philosophy, is actually anti-philosophy because it is based on the centrality of the ego.

Do we have Descartes to blame for the centrality of the ego or maybe someone else? Even Buddha seems to have placed the responsibility of salvation upon the individual. I'm not sure if it is the centrality of the ego that is the central to the problem. Can not much of Buddhism be rendered in terms of "enlightened self-interest"?

It is difficult to say exactly where 20th century philosophy became anti-philosophical. It seems to me to be the wholesale rejection of metaphysical approaches which was perpetrated by the logical positivists. Philosophy was dethroned at that historical moment (for some). Philosophy became the handmaiden of Queen Science rather than the other way around. Philosophy became merely the craft of making the statements of Science clear. (Again, for some)

Science has been flattered. She often believes she is worthy of the crown. Alas! Science is but a puppet. Virtue found no protection under Science and so sought refuge under the protection of Religion who is still considered to be the rightful Queen in some provinces. Alas! Religion too is but a puppet.

The true Queen, Philosophy, lives in exile on some secret island of the human experience, I dare not say where, and but for a few loyal vassals, her favor among the people is very little indeed.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:01 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;127798 wrote:

It is difficult to say exactly where 20th century philosophy became anti-philosophical. It seems to me to be the wholesale rejection of metaphysical approaches which was perpetrated by the logical positivists. Philosophy was dethroned at that historical moment (for some). Philosophy became the handmaiden of Queen Science rather than the other way around. Philosophy became merely the craft of making the statements of Science clear. (Again, for some)

The true Queen, Philosophy, lives in exile on some secret island of the human experience, I dare not say where, and but for a few loyal vassals, her favor among the people is very little indeed.

Perhaps you might consider the possibility that recent philosophy has not become anti-philosophical, but only anti- your particular preconception of philosophy. It reminds me of beginning students who think that David Hume rejected causality, when, in fact, he only rejected a particular conception of causality. Kant was accused of the same crime that you accuse recent philosophers of, when he wrote how he was awakened from his "dogmatic slumbers" by "that astute man, David Hume". Kant, too, rejected the metaphysics he had learned, and was accused of rejecting metaphysics tout court. It is often the case that those who are steeped in a certain view of some subject react to a rejection of that particular view of the subject as a rejection of the subject itself. This notoriously occurred when Galileo changed the nature of the study of the physical world. Thomas Kuhn's book, on scientific revolutions is very enlightening on this whole issue.

William

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:03 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
Just because this is a philosophy forum doesn't mean we understand what philosophy is. To the average person philosophy is just another word, philosophically speaking. It can be viewed as a penance of some sort for those men who are obsessed with finding what is the right thing to do for in their eternal nature they made many mistakes and atonement is in order. Perhaps they are seeking wisdom but they, themselves, keep getting in the way. Ha!

William

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:25:35