Philosophy as Sophisticated Myth

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 02:40 am
@Reconstructo,
I like those little yellow guys. There's some real art there. Nicely chosen duo. I guess you do have a soul.Laughing

kennethamy

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 02:51 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;112587 wrote:
I like those little yellow guys. There's some real art there. Nicely chosen duo. I guess you do have a soul.Laughing

Certainly. It is the bottom of my shoe.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 11:52 pm
@Reconstructo,
Plato's Ideas are also Myths, the myth of transcendent Ideas.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 02:07 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;112893 wrote:
Plato's Ideas are also Myths, the myth of transcendent Ideas.

Well, Plato tells myths to try to explain his Ideas. Like the myth of the cave. If that is what you mean.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 02:09 am
@Reconstructo,
Umo the purple dwarf scribbles notes to me.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 02:12 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;112923 wrote:
Umo the purple dwarf scribbles notes to me.

You sound tired.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 03:28 am
@Reconstructo,
Umo urges me to try a more laconic style. He's an exile from Saturn, a member of the Royal Family he claims. "Lord Umo" he wants me to call him.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:23 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;112922 wrote:
Well, Plato tells myths to try to explain his Ideas. Like the myth of the cave. If that is what you mean.

I mean his Ideas are his myth. Parents offer us Santa Clause. Plato offers Ideas.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:26 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113450 wrote:
I mean his Ideas are his myth. Parents offer us Santa Clause. Plato offers Ideas.

Sorry. Lost me again.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:43 am
@Reconstructo,
Plato's theory of Forms or theory of Ideas[1][2][3] asserts that non-material abstract (but substantial) forms (or ideas), and not the material world of change known to us through sensation, possess the highest and most fundamental kind of reality.[4] When used in this sense, the word form is often capitalized.[5] Plato says that these Forms are the only true objects of study that can provide us with genuine knowledge. [6] Plato spoke of Forms in formulating his solution to the problem of universals.
Plato postulated a world of ideal Forms, which he admitted were impossible to know. Nevertheless he formulated a very specific description of that world, which did not match his metaphysical principles. Corresponding to the world of Forms is our world, that of the mimes, a corruption of the real one. This world was created by the Good according to the patterns of the Forms. Man's proper service to the Good is cooperation in the implementation of the ideal in the world of shadows; that is, in miming the Good.

The term mythology can refer to either the study of myths or a body of myths.[1] For example, comparative mythology is the study of connections between myths from different cultures,[2] whereas Greek mythology is the body of myths from ancient Greece. The term "myth" is often used colloquially to refer to a false story;[3][4] however, the academic use of the term generally does not refer to truth or falsity.[4][5] In the study of folklore, a myth is a sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form.[5][6][7] Many scholars in other fields use the term "myth" in somewhat different ways.[7][8][9] In a very broad sense, the word can refer to any traditional story.[10]

sword

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:05 pm
@Reconstructo,
The greatest pseudo-scientific myth during the last 150 years has been the theory of evolution. Even though no one has either seen it or really proven it, many believe it.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:16 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113463 wrote:
Plato's theory of Forms or theory of Ideas[1][2][3] asserts that non-material abstract (but substantial) forms (or ideas), and not the material world of change known to us through sensation, possess the highest and most fundamental kind of reality.[4] When used in this sense, the word form is often capitalized.[5] Plato says that these Forms are the only true objects of study that can provide us with genuine knowledge. [6] Plato spoke of Forms in formulating his solution to the problem of universals.
Plato postulated a world of ideal Forms, which he admitted were impossible to know. Nevertheless he formulated a very specific description of that world, which did not match his metaphysical principles. Corresponding to the world of Forms is our world, that of the mimes, a corruption of the real one. This world was created by the Good according to the patterns of the Forms. Man's proper service to the Good is cooperation in the implementation of the ideal in the world of shadows; that is, in miming the Good.

The term mythology can refer to either the study of myths or a body of myths.[1] For example, comparative mythology is the study of connections between myths from different cultures,[2] whereas Greek mythology is the body of myths from ancient Greece. The term "myth" is often used colloquially to refer to a false story;[3][4] however, the academic use of the term generally does not refer to truth or falsity.[4][5] In the study of folklore, a myth is a sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form.[5][6][7] Many scholars in other fields use the term "myth" in somewhat different ways.[7][8][9] In a very broad sense, the word can refer to any traditional story.[10]

All myths are false.But some philosophy is true. Therefore, some philosophy is not myth.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:32 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127073 wrote:
All myths are false.But some philosophy is true. Therefore, some philosophy is not myth.

All myths are false? I don't agree. Myths are a sort of figurative language. Also, who is to say that some philosophy is true? Opinions.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 03:37:57