Consequences of studying philosophy?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » Consequences of studying philosophy?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

JP2U

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:30 am
What, if any, are the main intellectual, belief, moral, or character changes that tend to occur among people who intensively study philosophy?

I'm especially interested in any changes that accompany the study of philosophy as it's done in the contemporary, western, and broadly-analytic tradition although I recognize that philosophy as it's done at many times and places will be more or less similar to that and will involve more or less similar changes.

Changes I have in mind might be, for example, increasing secularization, skepticism, pragmaticism, etc. I'm not maintaining that these should definitely be included among such changes (although I think they very well might be) but am just giving them as examples to get your own thinking started.

Please support your answer with whatever observations or personal experiences you can.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:49 am
@JP2U,
JP2U;117190 wrote:
What, if any, are the main intellectual, belief, moral, or character changes that tend to occur among people who intensively study philosophy?

I'm especially interested in any changes that accompany the study of philosophy as it's done in the contemporary, western, and broadly-analytic tradition although I recognize that philosophy as it's done at many times and places will be more or less similar to that and will involve more or less similar changes.

Changes I have in mind might be, for example, increasing secularization, skepticism, pragmaticism, etc. I'm not maintaining that these should definitely be included among such changes (although I think they very well might be) but am just giving them as examples to get your own thinking started.

Please support your answer with whatever observations or personal experiences you can.

Here is one view by a (broadly speaking) analytic philosopher:

the value of philosophy by Bertrand Russell

And, I might add, a greater facility in the ability to think critically about abstract matters.

Fido

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:42 am
@JP2U,
JP2U;117190 wrote:

Most of the consequences of studying philosophy have been bad, or pointless...When we know the mistakes of the past, the mental cul-de-saks, the impediments to clear thought we can avoid them... But the thought that one becomes ethical studying ethics, for example, is daft... The study of philosophy does not a philosopher make...Learn everything, never socialize where you do not scrutinize, pay attention to the currents and language of your time, designed more to conceal than reveal the truth, as always, and you will be a philosopher...A formal education can speed the process or stop it in mid step...

andy1984

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:10 pm
@JP2U,
Personally philosophy has made me less scared to have my own beliefs and live differently from others around me. It made me more aware of the history of how some humans have tried to understand and improve the world often in very passionate ways, and made me more passionate about the things that I do.

The biggest change is that I am more pragmatic. Before I was becoming afraid to be a part of society because it might be wrong and I didn't want to do the things I was good at just because I was good at them because that might have been wrong. Now I find myself more flexible, less about right/wrong, more accepting of the way things are.

Basicly I was a really weird, frightened and unhappy person before. Now I am happier, less frightened, and just as weird. I don't know how much to attribute that to philosophy or just life.

Jebediah

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117196 wrote:

And, I might add, a greater facility in the ability to think critically about abstract matters.

That's a nice essay, I liked this bit especially:

Bertrand Russel wrote:
The value of philosophy is, in fact, to be sought largely in its very uncertainty. The man who has no tincture of philosophy goes through life imprisoned in the prejudices derived from common sense, from the habitual beliefs of his age or his nation, and from convictions which have grown up in his mind without the co-operation or consent of his deliberate reason. To such a man the world tends to become definite, finite, obvious; common objects rouse no questions, and unfamiliar possibilities are contemptuously rejected. As soon as we begin to philosophize, on the contrary, we find, as we saw in our opening chapters, that even the most everyday things lead to problems to which only very incomplete answers can be given. Philosophy, though unable to tell us with certainty what is the true answer to the doubts which it raises, is able to suggest many possibilities which enlarge our thoughts and free them from the tyranny of custom. Thus, while diminishing our feeling of certainty as to what things are, it greatly increases our knowledge as to what they may be; it removes the somewhat arrogant dogmatism of those who have never travelled into the region of liberating doubt, and it keeps alive our sense of wonder by showing familiar things in an unfamiliar aspect.

Or as Keynes (I think) said:

Quote:
The ideas of economists and political philosophers, both when they are
right and when they are wrong, are more powerful than is commonly
understood. Indeed the world is ruled by little else. Practical men, who
believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are
usually the slave of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear
voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler
of a few years back.

Fido

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:37 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117196 wrote:

Kenn... Thinking is the process of abstraction, and the manipulation of abstraction...It is nice to turn the light which we shine on all reality on the process of thought itself, but it only confuses the issue to say we think about abstract matters...It is all abstraction, but are we willing to check our abstractions of reality against our reality, or see if there is any reality behind our abstractions???

jgweed

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 09:39 am
@JP2U,
Phi Beta Kappa stands for the Greek: philosophy the guide to life. Now philosophy might not change the world, but it can change one's own life and how one lives it authentically. From its very beginnings it represented a questioning (beginning, we are told, in "wonder") and a skepticism about received opinion; it began the creation of analytical techniques to allow an individual to think independently, and to describe his perspective clearly and distinctly.

Kant remarks, in a typically Western way, that Enlightenment is the "freedom from the tutelage of others" both in thought and in action.The history of philosophy may be seen as the slow and steady advancement of principle of independent human thought as important to the life of both the individual Self and to mankind as society.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:14 am
@Fido,
Fido;117494 wrote:
Kenn... Thinking is the process of abstraction, and the manipulation of abstraction...It is nice to turn the light which we shine on all reality on the process of thought itself, but it only confuses the issue to say we think about abstract matters...It is all abstraction, but are we willing to check our abstractions of reality against our reality, or see if there is any reality behind our abstractions???

I meant that when we think about philosophy we think about abstract matters. Not, of course, when I think about what I am going to have for dinner. There is no such thing as "our reality". I think you must mean "our view", or our "understanding of reality". We often have good reason to think that our view of reality corresponds with reality.

Fido

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117720 wrote:
I meant that when we think about philosophy we think about abstract matters. Not, of course, when I think about what I am going to have for dinner. There is no such thing as "our reality". I think you must mean "our view", or our "understanding of reality". We often have good reason to think that our view of reality corresponds with reality.

Surely??? No our reality??? Does that mean the sun isn't setting on both of us???

Khethil

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 03:08 pm
@JP2U,
JP2U;117190 wrote:

... that'd depend on what their inclinations are. For those philosophical-types whom I've come across (who've studied philosophy at all), I'd say the bulk of them study just enough to validate their views; heap up the warm fuzzies, then trot off having satisfied that need. But for those who are willing to open themselves up; as in truly open up their minds to other processes, and stick with it over the long term, I've seen several common denominators:
  • Staunchly-held ideals tend to be softened as complexity becomes appreciated; blacks and whites of perception and ideals don't hold quite the contrast that they once did -or- for those that do, the underlying thinker's values become clearer.

• Perceptions of <what is>, <what might be> and many of the "why's" of human behavior less dogmatic and less judgmental

• Concepts of right and wrong are often strengthened, but more often become qualified with the ubiquitous "it depends" accompanying

• One appreciates moreso how much individual minds create their accompanying hosts' reality (e.g., "How can he believe that?!" ends up being more of a "Yep, I could see that")

As far as personal experiences, I've had numerous realizations about myself and the reality/world in which I dwell but probably the most poignant would be the realization that to stay balanced and clear-headed, I need to constantly strive to make that differentiation between what I think I know, what I hope, what I expect, what I want, what I want to believe and what I fear; and that for any subject, each of these might net a different answer.

Its lent me an increasing appreciation for the complexity of my existence and its only through study, philosophy-based expression and interaction with others that the answers come into view. In the end, I feel as if I've come to know myself better; and although that doesn't but rarely net ironclad epiphanies, at least I then come to enjoy a clearer picture of where I DO stand.

Hope this helps - thanks

BaaBaa phil

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:42 am
@andy1984,
andy1984;117401 wrote:
Personally philosophy has made me less scared to have my own beliefs and live differently from others around me. It made me more aware of the history of how some humans have tried to understand and improve the world often in very passionate ways, and made me more passionate about the things that I do.

The biggest change is that I am more pragmatic. Before I was becoming afraid to be a part of society because it might be wrong and I didn't want to do the things I was good at just because I was good at them because that might have been wrong. Now I find myself more flexible, less about right/wrong, more accepting of the way things are.

Basicly I was a really weird, frightened and unhappy person before. Now I am happier, less frightened, and just as weird. I don't know how much to attribute that to philosophy or just life.

Exactly why i got into philosophy- but i didn't label the thought of studying philosophy, it was more of me being depressed and trying to find truth to make myself happy; i then meticulously studied everything around me; human behavior, to existance, to religion, to the human mind.
the conclusion from this experience left me with great beliefs, that
help me day to day (i take life day to day because if you think of life as repetetive you won't be able to distinguish things).
also, as andy said people often try to make you doubt yourself; due to it being feeling inferior due to insecurities about their intelligence.
from this i learned that happiness can only be achieved by one's self,
and no one else really shouldn't matter(because afterall we're all looking for happiness).

also, it's a pitty that people only get into philosophy to become more intelligent, that's an extremely shallow reason; philosophy isn't a shortcut to satisfaction, but an ongoing study that's percarious (in a good way).

Fido

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 07:17 pm
@JP2U,
Philosophy has made me scared to have any beliefs...

Ding an Sich

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:10 pm
@Fido,
[INDENT]Philosophy, without a doubt, expands the mind and gives us a more cultured understanding of the world around us. It allows us to take a look back, study the world around us, see where its going, and determine the best course of action. Philosophy also gives us the ability to construct morals, epistemology, ontology, and various skills to help us deal with life and to see it for what it truly is (or is not).
[/INDENT][INDENT]There are two central components that I think are essential to doing philosophy: logic and imagination. Logic is used for structure while imagination is used for connecting ideas which were never thought of into a logical structure. A synthesis of ideas is usually the product of any philosophical endeavor, whether we set out in search of it, or we stumble blindly upon it. Without these two central components, philosophy can be a hard subject to seriously throw oneself in to when confronted.
[/INDENT]

Fido

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:24 pm
@JP2U,
As if it were possible to expand an infinite, like a mind.

PappasNick

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:47 pm
@Fido,
Fido;120723 wrote:
Philosophy has made me scared to have any beliefs...

Is that because you believe philosophy shows up all beliefs?

Fido

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:24 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;123562 wrote:
Is that because you believe philosophy shows up all beliefs?

Understanding is knowing, and knowing that you know...Wisdom, in addition is knowing how little we can know, and recognizing how often ignorance in the robes of belief as been THE cause of human suffering and destruction...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » Consequences of studying philosophy?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:05:42