speculative philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:40 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;96192 wrote:
YEAH WELL The Nobel Committee agreed with me and not with all the cynics. So maybe there is hope after all.

How did it agree with you? Their giving Obama the peace prize is an act of surpreme cynicism. It further devalues the prize, and makes it more a political instrument of the loft. It is, as I pointed out on another thread, absurd. It looks like a booby prize for the Olympics.

jeeprs

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:31 pm
@prothero,
well that is dissappointing. I am not an American, although this is still very much the American age, and I have been very inspired by Obama, he has been such an enormous change for the better in my view. Instead of the cynical dour war-mongerers who preceded him, here we have a man who is trying to 'be the change you want to see in the world'. I find him really inspiring. I wonder what the appeal is with cynicism? Is it a matter of protecting yourself against dissappointment in the event that things don't work out, or is it just easier to believe that nothing is worth hoping for? I don't really get it. Anyway, I don't want to start a political debate, especially because it concerns a country where I don't even vote, but from this citizen of the world, I say Obama is just great.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:44 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;96452 wrote:
well that is dissappointing. I am not an American, although this is still very much the American age, and I have been very inspired by Obama, he has been such an enormous change for the better in my view. Instead of the cynical dour war-mongerers who preceded him, here we have a man who is trying to 'be the change you want to see in the world'. I find him really inspiring. I wonder what the appeal is with cynicism? Is it a matter of protecting yourself against dissappointment in the event that things don't work out, or is it just easier to believe that nothing is worth hoping for? I don't really get it. Anyway, I don't want to start a political debate, especially because it concerns a country where I don't even vote, but from this citizen of the world, I say Obama is just great.

Yes, apparently so did the people who voted for him. But, change is not good in itself. Change may be good, or bad. It depends. So far, I am not pleased with either his domestic or foreign policies. But then, I voted for Bush, and for McCain. I am conservative, but not a conservative. Just one reason why. About a month ago, he told us that Afganistan was a "war of necessity", and not a "war of choice". And now, he appears to be thinking of bugging out. Not very reassuring. And it makes one cynical.

Arjuna

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:41 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;96457 wrote:
Yes, apparently so did the people who voted for him. But, change is not good in itself. Change may be good, or bad. It depends. So far, I am not pleased with either his domestic or foreign policies. But then, I voted for Bush, and for McCain. I am conservative, but not a conservative. Just one reason why. About a month ago, he told us that Afganistan was a "war of necessity", and not a "war of choice". And now, he appears to be thinking of bugging out. Not very reassuring. And it makes one cynical.

I appreciate your comment that you are conservative, but not a conservative. It suggests that you advocate thinking for yourself as opposed to following some group like a football fan. Conservatism is an essential part of human life. I see it as holding to ideas from the past that have been demonstrated to be life-giving, as opposed to freely indulging in the liberal desire to abandon forms from the past that have shaped the world we live in now. But the difference between conservatives and liberals brings us back to the first point in this thread: confidence. The meaning of Liberalism isn't stupidity. It represents confidence in trying new forms for life. It comes in handy when the old forms aren't working anymore, or aren't applicable due to new circumstances. If human life was purely conservative, then human life would be threatened by new circumstances. I think we need both parts of us to navigate through each generation. What they have in common, I think, is their overall goal: to preserve the health and happiness of the species. In other words: a vision of the ideal.

"Cynicism (Greek: Kυνισμός) originally comprised the various philosophies of a group of ancient Greeks called the Cynics, founded by Antisthenes in about the 4th century BC. The Cynics rejected all conventions, whether of religion, manners, housing, dress, or decency, advocating the pursuit of virtue in a simple and unmaterialistic lifestyle.
By the 19th century, emphasis on the negative aspects of Cynic philosophy led to a new and very different understanding of cynicism to mean an attitude of jaded negativity, and a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of other people. Modern cynicism, as a product of mass society, is a distrust toward professed ethical and social values, especially when there are high expectations concerning society, institutions and authorities which are unfulfilled. Cynicism can manifest itself as a result of frustration, disillusionment, and distrust perceived as due to organizations, authorities and other aspects of society, and thus is roughly equivalent to a substantive form of the English word "jaded"." -- Wikipedia

The part I bolded points to the secret of cynicsm: it is hope... just hope disappointed.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:57 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;96496 wrote:
I appreciate your comment that you are conservative, but not a conservative. It suggests that you advocate thinking for yourself as opposed to following some group like a football fan. Conservatism is an essential part of human life. I see it as holding to ideas from the past that have been demonstrated to be life-giving, as opposed to freely indulging in the liberal desire to abandon forms from the past that have shaped the world we live in now. But the difference between conservatives and liberals brings us back to the first point in this thread: confidence. The meaning of Liberalism isn't stupidity. It represents confidence in trying new forms for life. It comes in handy when the old forms aren't working anymore, or aren't applicable due to new circumstances. If human life was purely conservative, then human life would be threatened by new circumstances. I think we need both parts of us to navigate through each generation. What they have in common, I think, is their overall goal: to preserve the health and happiness of the species. In other words: a vision of the ideal.

"Cynicism (Greek: Kυνισμός) originally comprised the various philosophies of a group of ancient Greeks called the Cynics, founded by Antisthenes in about the 4th century BC. The Cynics rejected all conventions, whether of religion, manners, housing, dress, or decency, advocating the pursuit of virtue in a simple and unmaterialistic lifestyle.
By the 19th century, emphasis on the negative aspects of Cynic philosophy led to a new and very different understanding of cynicism to mean an attitude of jaded negativity, and a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of other people. Modern cynicism, as a product of mass society, is a distrust toward professed ethical and social values, especially when there are high expectations concerning society, institutions and authorities which are unfulfilled. Cynicism can manifest itself as a result of frustration, disillusionment, and distrust perceived as due to organizations, authorities and other aspects of society, and thus is roughly equivalent to a substantive form of the English word "jaded"." -- Wikipedia

The part I bolded points to the secret of cynicsm: it is hope... just hope disappointed.

The great cynic was Diogenes, pathetically carrying a lighted lamp, at high noon under a bright Sun, looking for one honest man. I have a feeling that Diogenes did not think he would find him. Conservatives are, I think, a little like Diogenes, conducting their search in a population of Liberals. Of course, as Aristotle argued, a person is often dishonest not because he is malicious, because he isn't smart enough to be honest.

Arjuna

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:35 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;96498 wrote:
The great cynic was Diogenes, pathetically carrying a lighted lamp, at high noon under a bright Sun, looking for one honest man. I have a feeling that Diogenes did not think he would find him. Conservatives are, I think, a little like Diogenes, conducting their search in a population of Liberals. Of course, as Aristotle argued, a person is often dishonest not because he is malicious, because he isn't smart enough to be honest.
Or maybe it's not important for him to be honest?

A liberal-minded person can also have the feeling of being alone in a world of Conservatives... not minding that they're conservative, but just really really hoping that at least some of them are thinking about what they're doing and not just wearing the colors. A lot of politics seems to be reaction. The archtypical politician seems to have no thoughts of his own, but just a knack for gathering other people's feelings into a usable engine.

But then, politicians who have their own agenda scare the crap out of people. I think we'd feel more comfortable with a robotic president who follows orders from the Brain Trust of the US. But then, the US culture isn't known for its intelligence. Somehow Americans fall backwards into luck, over and over.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 08:00 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;96503 wrote:
But then, the US culture isn't known for its intelligence. Somehow Americans fall backwards into luck, over and over.

Luck, it is said, is the residue of design. We do not, by far, have the greatest number of Nobelists (for our population) by luck, as much as some people might lke to think. Maybe, in the words of America, "God shed his grace on [us]". And, as Madeline Albright (by no means a Conservative) said, "The United States is the indispensable nation".

P.S. President Bush did have his own agenda (wasn't it exactly that that got everyone mad at him?) and look what happened. Obama (and he strikes me as quite robotic) got the Prize.

Arjuna

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 08:38 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;96506 wrote:
Luck, it is said, is the residue of design. We do not, by far, have the greatest number of Nobelists (for our population) by luck, as much as some people might lke to think. Maybe, in the words of America, "God shed his grace on [us]". And, as Madeline Albright (by no means a Conservative) said, "The United States is the indispensable nation".

Yea, I started a thread once called: how we think about probability... examining the background meaning of luck. That thread altered my thinking about it. I had suggested that probability is founded on a model of reality which sees choice as the origin of any actuality. But then I realized that no one-sided perspective can make sense. Probability is just a way of organizing the opposition between free will and determinism... it doesn't pick between them.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:17 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;96510 wrote:
Yea, I started a thread once called: how we think about probability... examining the background meaning of luck. That thread altered my thinking about it. I had suggested that probability is founded on a model of reality which sees choice as the origin of any actuality. But then I realized that no one-sided perspective can make sense. Probability is just a way of organizing the opposition between free will and determinism... it doesn't pick between them.

I think that to say that luck is the residue of design is to say that we (largely) make our own luck.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 05:46 pm
@prothero,
there is a great story about Diogenes. His fame was such that one day Alexander the Great sought him out. They conversed about the treachery of power and other such topics. At the end of the dialog, Alexander says something like "I am the supreme ruler on earth, master of all I survey, tell me what favour I can bestow upon you, Philosopher".

Diogenes says, without missing a beat, "Just stand to the left a little if you please, you are blocking the sun...."

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 05:55 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;96610 wrote:
there is a great story about Diogenes. His fame was such that one day Alexander the Great sought him out. They conversed about the treachery of power and other such topics. At the end of the dialog, Alexander says something like "I am the supreme ruler on earth, master of all I survey, tell me what favour I can bestow upon you, Philosopher".

Diogenes says, without missing a beat, "Just stand to the left a little if you please, you are blocking the sun...."

Yes. I know that story. Alex may have cut off his head for that. Since "Cynic" derives from the Greek for "dog", Diogenes lived in a kennel. Those were the days!

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:54 pm
@prothero,
What I love about the Cynics is their holist conception of philosophy as a way of life. Which is not to say I have the same view, but only that such a view is sublime, significant. I think Lives and Opinions of the Eminent Philosophers is one of the most entertaining books I have ever read. One sees these philosophers very much as human beings, Diogenes especially. Diogenes was funny. Just as Nietzsche was funny. I think one of the cynics called dialectic "cobwebs." They had a contempt for theory divorced from practice -- which I can enjoy without sharing.

I think one should assimilate Diogenes, for instance, without being trapped within his, or any other influence's, limitations.

We are all the Borg. As Nietzsche says, the spirit is a stomach.Very Happy

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:55:48