Said I, but I thought we were the same.

[RIGHT][RIGHT] Dr. McCoy to Mr. Spock
[/RIGHT]

[/RIGHT]
[/CENTER]

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 02:44 am
@richrf,
A philosophy major who contends that easterners are "not philosophers" is a poor student.

Sorry, friend, by a few hours of course work does not make an expert. You're an undergrad, buddy, not an eminent scholar.

I sincerely hope, for your own sake, that you do not act out this degree of egocentrism in face to face discourse.

Have you managed to esteem so many brilliant thinkers and simultaneously ignore their suggestion of humility?

Recall your ancient Greeks for a moment: and recall how often they considered hubris to be the greatest sin.

Recall, for a moment, Proverbs: "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." Philosophy or not, that's good advice.

Whoever

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 03:58 am
@Bonaventurian,
Oh c'mon. Anyone who's been a student goes through a period of believing one knows a lot more than one does. A little knowledge and all that. Personally, I can't find the line between mathematics, physics, metaphysics and ethics, but it's taken me many years of post-grad study to reach this stage of uncertainty.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 1.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:23:50