Love/Beauty

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Love/Beauty

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 12:40 am
Is there the emotion love without the perception of beauty? Is there the perception of beauty without the emotion of love? Are beauty and love one? Or how are they related?

Opinions?

wayne

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 12:55 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;171991 wrote:
Is there the emotion love without the perception of beauty? Is there the perception of beauty without the emotion of love? Are beauty and love one? Or how are they related?

Opinions?

Apparently people are able to fall in love over the internet, a concept which I am unable to grasp. Are we talking about beauty on a physical level, or are you also refering to the beauty of the soul?
What is beauty anyway?
If it is really in the eye of the beholder, then aren't we all beautiful?
If love and beauty are interelated, doesn't it work both ways.
A feeling of love for someone means we see their beauty?

I can appreciate the beauty of a thoroughbred without falling in love.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:44 am
@wayne,
wayne;172001 wrote:
Apparently people are able to fall in love over the internet, a concept which I am unable to grasp. Are we talking about beauty on a physical level, or are you also refering to the beauty of the soul?
What is beauty anyway?
If it is really in the eye of the beholder, then aren't we all beautiful?
If love and beauty are interelated, doesn't it work both ways.
A feeling of love for someone means we see their beauty?

I can appreciate the beauty of a thoroughbred without falling in love.

I'm talking about love in a general sense. And beauty in a general sense. Different kinds of love and beauty. When you say "appreciate" the beauty, that's maybe an acceptable form of love, and the sort of thing I'm talking about.

wayne

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:00 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;172024 wrote:
I'm talking about love in a general sense. And beauty in a general sense. Different kinds of love and beauty. When you say "appreciate" the beauty, that's maybe an acceptable form of love, and the sort of thing I'm talking about.

In that sense, then, I am in love with Beauty.
But, I am also in love with sensation.
I love the sensation of Progresso soup (Chicken Tuscany), but I don't think I've ever thought of it as beautiful. Although I could say it provides a beautiful sensation.

Beauty and love seem closely related to pleasure.

prothero

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:15 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;171991 wrote:
Opinions?

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,-that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.' John Keats
love is beauty and beauty is truth, and that is why in the beauty of a flower we can see the truth of the universe. Gautama Buddha

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:46 pm
@prothero,
prothero;172072 wrote:
'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,-that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.' John Keats
love is beauty and beauty is truth, and that is why in the beauty of a flower we can see the truth of the universe. Gautama Buddha

Ah, yes, that Keats line has been with me lately. And Plato's Form of the Good. And the wind that comes and goes as it pleases....

---------- Post added 06-02-2010 at 08:48 PM ----------

wayne;172028 wrote:

Beauty and love seem closely related to pleasure.

Absolutely! Blake wrote brilliantly on this. He argued that man experienced the infinite through his senses, and that this experience is or comes about through an increase of pleasure.

Perhaps love/beauty is love/beauty/pleasure. And the goal is to seek the greatest love/beauty/pleasure. Smile

richard mcnair

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:54 pm
@Reconstructo,
I think love and beauty can both be described as 'a recognition of unity'.

I think pleasure is a different thing all together, and I don't think love and beauty are pleasures. You can say 'i love you so much it hurts', and people who follow love often experience alot of pain, you can say 'something is so beautiful it hurts', but can you say, 'something is so pleasant it hurts'?

I think love and beauty can both be described as different aspects of perhaps a 'will-to-unity' to coin a phrase.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:05 pm
@richard mcnair,
richard_mcnair;172336 wrote:

I think pleasure is a different thing all together, and I don't think love and beauty are pleasures. You can say 'i love you so much it hurts', and people who follow love often experience alot of pain, you can say 'something is so beautiful it hurts', but can you say, 'something is so pleasant it hurts'?

I think love and beauty can both be described as different aspects of perhaps a 'will-to-unity' to coin a phrase.

Interesting points. Yes, love has sometimes a deep sorrow associated with it. And sensual pleasure would be a stranger form of love/beauty than is usually recognized.

I'm with you on the Unity theme. I think logic and proof are even perhaps founded on unity, coherence, and the beauty of such. We love clear thoughts, so we call them true?

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 04:22 pm
@Reconstructo,
Love and Beauty aren't popular?
Quote:

I had not a dispute but a disquisition with Dilke, on various subjects; several things dovetailed in my mind, & at once it struck me, what quality went to form a Man of Achievement especially in literature & which Shakespeare possessed so enormously - I mean Negative Capability, that is when man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts without any irritable reaching after fact & reason - Colerdige, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapbable of remaining content with half knowledge. This pursued through Volumes would perhaps take us no further than this, that with a great poet the sense of Beauty overcomes every other consideration, or rather obliterates every other consideration.

Keats....

wayne

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 04:50 pm
@richard mcnair,
richard_mcnair;172336 wrote:

I've always known those expressions to arise from an extreme of emotional feeling. Just as one can be so happy they cry.
A certain balance of pain is involved with a lot of pleasures.
Many people seek pleasure through pain.
Just because we don't say ,something is so pleasant it hurts, doesn't mean it can't be said. Pleasant is simply a word, an abstraction, the meaning of which has been assigned.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 03:50 pm
@Reconstructo,
Are we near the point of living here, with Love/Beauty? Is it much more complicated than this? Don't ethics ultimately serve this goal, or shouldn't they?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Love/Beauty
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:00:20