Most Beautiful Place in the World

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 09:35 pm
@Aedes,
Looks like the Bush administration is going to let the oil companies ruin your spot in Utah. Sorry, brother.

Aedes

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:07 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Southern Utah has 5 national parks and a huge national recreation area, these are protected from whatever he wants to do. Besides, nothing is worse for that entire region than the Glen Canyon Dam.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:14 pm
@Aedes,
I'm not familiar enough to say what is most damaging, but... well, here's the news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/08/us/08lease.html?_r=1

paulhanke

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:23 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I'm not familiar enough to say what is most damaging, but... well, here's the news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/08/us/08lease.html?_r=1

#!!!@$@#!@!$!%%!!!!

(anyone need a translation?)

Aedes

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:32 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I've been to the spot in that photo, it's Delicate Arch in Arches National Park -- a wonderful little hike.

That's terrible news. But southern Utah has been pillaged by the Bureau of Land Management for decades. The place is filled with uranium mines, gold/copper/silver mines, and dams already.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:35 pm
@Aedes,
O beautiful, for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood,
from sea to shining sea.

O beautiful, for pilgrim feet
Whose stern, impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw;
Confirm thy soul in self control,
thy liberty in law!

O beautiful, for heroes proved
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine,
'Til all success be nobleness,
and every gain divine!

O beautiful, for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years,
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee,

And crown thy good with brotherhood,
from sea to shining sea!

Aedes

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:40 pm
@Holiday20310401,
That's one thing seldom talked about by all the people in the world with something negative to say about us. Honestly this is one of the most stunningly beautiful countries on earth.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:44 pm
@Aedes,
You've seen more of this nation than I have, but I have also seen some of the more beautiful places in Europe and I feel comfortable saying that this nation is a natural wonder.

We're a bunch of spoiled kids.

paulhanke

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:47 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
O beautiful, for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties ...

... the very mountain that inspired the poem:

http://www.paulhanke.com/images/first-light.jpg

Salo phil

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 05:38 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:

What was your favourite place you've been to and why?:cool:

Niagara Falls. I live in the UK so a trip to Canada was pretty much a trip-of-a-lifetime for me. The Falls was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I got to ride on the "Maid of the Mist" and got really close to the falls themselves, and I was just overwhelmed by the sheer beauty and pure natural power of the place. Nowhere else I've visited has come even close to that.

MJA

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:03 am
@Salo phil,
Want to do something wise or virtuous regarding the most beautiful places in the world,
Click here:

http://www.RepowerAmerica.org/EPA

=
MJA

hammersklavier

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 05:58 pm
@TickTockMan,
How do we go about defining what we mean by most beautiful place on Earth? Is it a simple comforting aesthetic or a sublime one? Are we looking at permanent features, e.g. mountains and canyons, or ephermal ones, e.g., fog and mist? Must it be entirely natural or can it have man-made elements?

I remember once driving along the Pa. Turnpike heading west towards Sideling Hill after a rainstorm and seeing this mist rise from the forests on either side of the road, a most awesome sight to behold; it was the single most beautiful thing I've ever seen and I doubt I'll ever see it again.

I find a dramatic beauty in bridges across gorges--the Rainbow Bridge, for instance, or the Keddie Wye, a magisterial beauty in great mountains and grand canyons, and even a simple beauty in the rolling woods of the parks near my home (such as the Wissahickon Gorge).

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 03:41 pm
@hammersklavier,
I was driving west on that road in red hotrod camero that never knew how to obey the law, and I came out of the hills to cross over this long bridge across a river gorge, and just as I got to about mid span a couple of military jet jockey came screaming out of that valley at most a hundred feet above myself and the bridge and then dropped back into the valley, on a strafing or bombing run....The first one about blew my windows out, and the wingman I caught sight of at the top of my windshield... If that had been war and I had been the target I would have been soooo dead... I'll bet they saw me miles away, and said let's catch Mr. Hotrod and scare the **** out of him... I'll bet it made their day showing me what a hot ride really was like... It must be cool being able to fly around on the government dime doing that kind of stuff...I'm kind of slow to scare, but I was surprised, you know, sterio blasting, road smooth, engine running strong; and suddenly rrGROUW; and words won't get it unless I could print them ten feet tall... They are so incredibly loud at full tilt that you cannot imagine... Shock and awe, man....

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 03:45 pm
@hammersklavier,
hammersklavier wrote:
How do we go about defining what we mean by most beautiful place on Earth? Is it a simple comforting aesthetic or a sublime one? Are we looking at permanent features, e.g. mountains and canyons, or ephermal ones, e.g., fog and mist? Must it be entirely natural or can it have man-made elements?

I remember once driving along the Pa. Turnpike heading west towards Sideling Hill after a rainstorm and seeing this mist rise from the forests on either side of the road, a most awesome sight to behold; it was the single most beautiful thing I've ever seen and I doubt I'll ever see it again.

I find a dramatic beauty in bridges across gorges--the Rainbow Bridge, for instance, or the Keddie Wye, a magisterial beauty in great mountains and grand canyons, and even a simple beauty in the rolling woods of the parks near my home (such as the Wissahickon Gorge).

Just think of some place beautiful, dood; like where I find her... Do I get to reply twice to the same post???

urangutan

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 04:26 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Ever thought it may be the womb.

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 05:17 pm
@urangutan,
urangutan wrote:
Ever thought it may be the womb.

Pretty close to where I find her..

Bones-O

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:42 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Hi. I don't know if you were specifically looking for places in the US? One of the most beautiful places I've been to (above water anyway) is one of the last places I've been to. I spent September last year in Tanzania working at an orphanage and got to go on some safaris. I was blown away by Ngorngoro Crater just seeing it from the rim (from where you can barely see any life, it's so huge). I was stunned even more when I got down into it - it was rammed with pretty much everything you'd want to see... leopards, zebra, giraffe, elephants, gazelle, hartebeest, wildebeest, hippos... you name it, it was full of it. An awesome combo of beautiful scenary and awe-inspiring diversity.

But if you want to see beauty, I suggest you get below sea level. Nothing tops the open water for beauty and diversity imo. I learned to scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef, which I thought would spoil me, but I've been elsewhere and still find places breathtaking. It really does change your view on the importance of our above-water activities, both in their irrelevance (the real world's down there) and in the devastating impact it has on ecosystems beyond our imaginations. Out of sight, out of mind...

grasshopper

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 08:34 am
@Holiday20310401,
'Beautiful Place In The World'.

You must travel all around the world to decide. I have seen only 7 countries and nearly all southern seaside cities of Turkey in my life.
When i think about my trip to Holland, when i was 13 years old, i say to myself that Amsterdam would be 'more beautiful' to me if i was older. Now, after 3 years from that, i think the most beautiful city that i've ever been is Florence, Italy. The main reason is because i met lots of people from all around the world, i learned different point of views, different sights. And when you are walking in the streets of this little little city(it is x5 times little to me compared to Istanbul), you feel that you step on the footprints of Michelangelo Smile

bundo

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 02:32 pm
@Holiday20310401,
My most favourite place in the world would be london, England. Alot of good sights and really good land development. The weather has a fair amount and always is warm.

paulhanke

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 07:14 pm
@bundo,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arX6XBf6lDA&feature=related

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 09:33:37