Your Criteria for 'Good' Music?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Elmud

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:42 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
The fall of country has been horrible. No more Robbins, no more Frizzell. Country lost the blues, and promptly perished.

I say this and I'm sure there are great country artists out there, only I have encountered them. So if anyone has any suggestions, please, please let me know!
Randy Travis isn't bad. Travis Tritt is another one I kind of like. I never really cared for country music all that much but, I did like Hank Williams Sr. , aka Luke the Drifter. It has been told that he would often write down some lyrics on a napkin while sitting at a cafe. That is where, I have been told, he wrote, "I saw the Light".

7skullz

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 02:26 pm
@de budding,
Well, I truly believe that, an artist needs ( to be a GOOD artist) in my opinion:

1. To have an original score. By that I mean I am not very fond of covers. They irk me to some extent.

2. To sound like they have an idea they want to get across.

3. Must include some form of actual lyrical/chord-or-note type construction. Therefore, rap, especially to simply beats does not bode well with me, while metal, rock, folk, and blues does.

4. The band OUGHT to have a good name, and have a deeper meaning than that of just having a name. The Philosopher Kings are one such band. Their name is derived from Aristotle's ideals that a benevolent and kind man, who is a philosopher, should rule the world; leaving mankind to their own devices whilst remaining vigilant enough to make sure that they don't do anything stupid.

5. The singer must NOT over use their range. Therefore, I don not like Christina Aguilera. There should be some high notes and low notes but no OOOH-ahhh-OOOH ahhh stuff.

6. The lyrics must have a good solid foundation. No "Yeah ***** I'm gonna bust a cap-in-yo-ass." Or anything to that extent. (Can't you see I don't care much for rap? :rolleyes:)

7. There must be actual artistrty in the music. If it is purely guitar, bass and drums, like Metallica's Silent Epics (Orion, Suicide and Redemption), there is EXTREME amounts of artistry in these songs, especially in their complexity.

By the way my current favorite band is Elvenking, a Folk-Metal band from Italy.

Also, I don't mind much Coldplay. They're music is rather soothing. :surrender:

-Skullz

Sympathypains

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:47 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Sympathy Pains. Just out of curiosity, what do you think of Bocelli?

Andreas?

I'm not too boned up on Opera, so I couldn't really give an educated analysis sorry.

---------- Post added at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

Regarding originality, I have given it a bit of thought regarding the current state of music.

It seems, regarding style, that genres or trends have until now reflected the identity of the generation, regarding sociological elements and the zeitgeist.

Music trends from Jazz to Psychelic trance have always been a reaction to previous music, and an expression of the generation.

What concerns me is what seems to be a no longer, or a lesser generational expression.

Of course there was retro in the past, even to an extreme. When we gen xers first did it, it was a statement and a bit of poking fun at the generation before us, which had incredibly bad taste. To continue it, is like telling the same joke over and over.

This current generation seems to have little of it's own identity imho, and borrows more from previous generations.

For me it was jazz in the 40s, rock in the 50s, psychedelic, folk and hard rock in the sixties, punk in the seventies, new wave, art, rap and hardcore in the 80s, electronic, hip hop in the 90s, but this last decade seems to be the first with no identity other than rehash.

I also find maturity a criteria that is lacking in music in this decade, and in society in general.

Yogi DMT

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:03 am
@de budding,
For me at least, good music, has great, well thoguht out and clever lyrics. I like tasteful music that doesn't have as much technologic enhancement but more of the artists skill in vocals, or instruments. Music, like today's new pop music, in my opinion is not really that great. All of these hits seem to played fro a month or so and then never heard of again but greater songs will be played for years to come. Me being a fan of tool, a music's melody, beat, and rythem does not have to be as catchy as first, but after a good amount of listening it will grow on you and you will obtain an aquired taste. I'm willing to give anything a good listen and likes many genres but for me i really care about the purpose and message of the song.

7skullz

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:34 am
@Sympathypains,
Sympathypains wrote:
...but this last decade seems to be the first with no identity other than rehash.

I also find maturity a criteria that is lacking in music in this decade, and in society in general.

Well, I must... actually come to think of it, you are absolutely correct. This generation tagged all its popular music into a category from a previous decade. Most of it is (albeit poor) covers of extremely successful songs with some times a little twist, and most of the time its changing the tempo in the middle of the song.

I do have 1 disagreement though. Elvenking is a band that essentially created its own genre. They have typical rock band instruments (rhythm+lead guitars [electric], bass, vocals, and drums) plus acoustic rhythm guitars, violins, 3 extra vocalists (one for operatic, one for more upbeatish stylings, and one gravelly, deeply voiced singer with a lot of prescence), flutes, and various other instruments. They have been looped in with metal and hard rock, but can almost be called folk artists, due to the main origins of their music.

-Skullz

Elmud

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:55 pm
@Sympathypains,
Sympathypains wrote:

Yeah. I think i understand what you are saying. Thanks.

Sympathypains

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 03:07 am
@7skullz,
7skullz wrote:

I do have 1 disagreement though.

-Skullz
Folk metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bands like En Extremo and the like have been around for over 15 years.

The whole world ethno hybrid in rock and techno were the last relatively new thing that interested me, but I am currently exhausted on it and looking for some new glimmer of inovation and have yet to see it.

Here are some unique ones if interested. I made this myspace to collect bands I have liked. Check the friends section if interested.

www.myspace.com/coendou

7skullz

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 09:28 pm
@de budding,
That folk metal link reminded me about that. I only learned about that until recently though, as ive barely been around 15 years, but also that there are truly very little (highly active) folk metal bands out there.

-Skullz

Sympathypains

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 08:03 am
@7skullz,
7skullz wrote:
That folk metal link reminded me about that. I only learned about that until recently though, as ive barely been around 15 years, but also that there are truly very little (highly active) folk metal bands out there.

-Skullz

Well, the fact that you're about 15 and frequent a philosophy forum and have tastes outside of the mainstream, means you have much better taste and are most likely much more intelligent than i was at your age.

You have my respect. Smile

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 12:08:49