Is mind/body problem the idealism/materialism problem?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:29 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;155081 wrote:
Well yes, but again there would be no reason to develop such an idealistic theory unless the mind-body problem was already on the table. It's a trivial point for me to keep on stating it. You think I'm making a bigger claim than I am.

Berkeley's Idealism is offered as a solution to the mind-body problem though the motive may have been to battle materialism for the sake of God.

Mind-body problem is the question
Berkeley's answer is idealism. His answer may have been motivated by his desire to preserve God against the Devil of materialism
But his answer was prompted by the mind-body question.

But there was not mind/body problem for Berkeley, for there was no body. So, how did B. offer a solution to a problem he did not think existed?

But his answer was prompted by the mind-body question.

Again, how can you know such a thing unless you have some evidence for it. Do you? For instance, does B. say anywhere that this is true? Does any scholar agree with you? For an interpretation of a philosopher, you need evidence. Otherwise, it is rank speculation.

Deckard

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:14 pm
@kennethamy,
Idealism cannot be conceived of without dismissing materialism. Materialism cannot even be conceived of without dismissing idealism.
Without the contradistinction of mind vs. matter of ideas vs. material objects there would be no difference between materialism and idealism. Can you be an idealist without rejecting materialism? Can you be a materialist without rejecting idealism?

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:24 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;155104 wrote:
Can you be an idealist without rejecting materialism? Can you be a materialist without rejecting idealism?

I think you're right. The two seem like reductions in opposite directions. (-1)^infinity = 0?

Deckard

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 11:39 pm
@Reconstructo,
I'm not speculating as to the psycholgoical state of Berkeley when he proposed his doctrine of idealism. I'm just saying that there would have been no occasion/opportunity/reason to present an idealistic theory nor a materialistic theory without the debate over the mind-body problem that had been going on at least since Descartes or rather at least since Plato.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:57 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;155104 wrote:
Idealism cannot be conceived of without dismissing materialism. Materialism cannot even be conceived of without dismissing idealism.
Without the contradistinction of mind vs. matter of ideas vs. material objects there would be no difference between materialism and idealism. Can you be an idealist without rejecting materialism? Can you be a materialist without rejecting idealism?

No, Idealism and Materialism are logical contraries. They cannot both be true, but, of course, they can both be false. E.g. Monism. So they are not logical contradictories. But I don't see what that has to do with your original query.

---------- Post added 04-22-2010 at 09:02 AM ----------

Deckard;155141 wrote:
I'm not speculating as to the psycholgoical state of Berkeley when he proposed his doctrine of idealism. I'm just saying that there would have been no occasion/opportunity/reason to present an idealistic theory nor a materialistic theory without the debate over the mind-body problem that had been going on at least since Descartes or rather at least since Plato.

Could be, I suppose. But it is not as if the issue of materialism/idealism was raised after the mind/body issue. They always were simultaneous. But I haven't asked you this: why does it make a difference who's on first? I suppose you have a reason for worrying about it. What is it?

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 05:19 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;155141 wrote:

Is it the crux that the "mind" experiences the body as an object? But when it tries to experience itself as an object, the cord gets tangled? We can imagine having no arms, no eyes, etc., but can we imagine having no minds? It does seem to lead right into idealism/materialism.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 05:41 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;155358 wrote:
Is it the crux that the "mind" experiences the body as an object? But when it tries to experience itself as an object, the cord gets tangled? We can imagine having no arms, no eyes, etc., but can we imagine having no minds? It does seem to lead right into idealism/materialism.

Well, some people needn't imagine having no mind. John Watson, the father of behaviorism, begins his seminal book, Behavior, with the sentence, "I have no mind". It is said that his critics agreed with him.

Deckard

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:09 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;155358 wrote:

The "mind-body problem" is maybe unfortunately named because it seems to just be talking about the body and not also sensory stimuli. If our bodies were completely numb, deaf, blind etc we wouldn't know we had bodies. There might be a body-world problem as well where world in this case means everything except my body. Where does my body end, and the outside world begin? If my finger gets cut off does it become part of the world and no longer part of my body? If I get a prosthetic finger is that finger part of my body? Enter the cyborg. The mind-body problem is the mind-outside world problem is the idea vs. matter problem. Is the frontier the body with all its sensory apparatus or is the frontier the mind's experience of this frontier? Our bodies occupy a strange place in the story. Is the frontier of the mind where the body begins or where our bodies end or is there a gray area?

When we talk about contemporary science exploring the mind-body problem we are usually talking about the mind-brain problem. Does the mind-body problem reduce then to the mind-brain problem? Most contemporary cognitive scientists are not idealists and believe that the brain is a material thing. Many of these scientists are strict materialists. Others may think the mind is something immaterial that is sort of inside or produced by the brain. However, Berkeley would tell these scientists that the brain is just an idea in the mind.
kennethamy;155211 wrote:
No, Idealism and Materialism are logical contraries. They cannot both be true, but, of course, they can both be false. E.g. Monism. So they are not logical contradictories. But I don't see what that has to do with your original query.

Ken, I'm a little confused about monism. I consider idealism and materialism to be two types of monism. Is it possible to have a monism that is neither materialistic nor idealistic? I guess I've been assuming that there are only two choices for the monist (idealism or materialism). Can you provide an example of a third choice? Even the word "monism" is defined in contradistinction to dualism or pluralism.

I am trying to imagine an idealist who has never heard of materialism or a materialist that has never heard of idealism. I think I met such a materialist once but she struck me as naive and I don't think she knew what the word "materialist" meant. Which of course makes sense, since materialism only has meaning in contradistinction to idealism.

@Reconstructo

Is the idea that idealism and materialism cannot exist in ignorance of each other somehow Hegelian? You know the corresponding negation as being somehow present in any assertion. Being brings with it Nothingness. You can't be conscious of one without being conscious of the other.

I'm not sure if I know what I'm getting at here and I can't tell if it's tangential or central to my OP.

Sorry for the prolixity; I'm having trouble articulating this stuff concisely.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 02:12 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;155502 wrote:

Ken, I'm a little confused about monism. I consider idealism and materialism to be two types of monism. Is it possible to have a monism that is neither materialistic nor idealistic? I guess I've been assuming that there are only two choices for the monist (idealism or materialism). Can you provide an example of a third choice? Even the word "monism" is defined in contradistinction to dualism or pluralism.

That is why Bertrand Russell coined the term, "neutral monism". Neutral monism is the theory that the world is neither spirit nor material, but of some other stuff (substance) which is neutral. As I said, materialism and idealism are contraries, not contradictories. And, of course, we are just assuming that there is such a thing as substance. Without substance there is no idealism or materialism. Perhaps we should reexamined the view that the mind is a thing, a substance, as Gilbert Ryle (and as Aristotle did) in Ryle's (not Aristotle's) The Concept of Mind. That book is sagely named. The concept of mind need not be the concept of a substance. It may turn out to be the concept of the activity of the body. As Aristotle put it, if the eye were the body, seeing (vision) would be its soul (mind). That is something to consider.

Doubt doubt

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 05:15 am
@Deckard,
The mind body problem is totally mute.By definition it is unanswerable . As for your question I am pretty sleepy but i believe that idealism/materialism are theory's created to answer the mind body problem. I am sorry but people should ponder something with a possible answer in the future. Our perceptions are as good as it gets to seeing the thing in itself. Even the things we view as scientific fact are derived from perception.

For anyone to try to persuade another to any conclusion other than skepticism they must resort to assumptions, concepts and undefined terms. I am a skeptic in the original sense of the word Though i do not doubt that their is plenty of things that are true, i understand that there is no chance of proving anything without a shadow of a doubt. The closest thing to certain that i have heard is Descartes "I doubt". I(I for lack of a better word) agree that something is doubting but i doubt the "I" part. Personally "Doubt occurs" or "doubt occurred / has occurred" seems to be a true certainty.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 05:25 am
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt;155592 wrote:
Personally "Doubt occurs" or "doubt occurred / has occurred" seems to be a true certainty.

What makes you think that, I wonder. Someone who believes that he doubts is assuming that he has the concept of doubt, and that there is such a thing as doubting. If he is making those assumptions, and you say that if assumptions are being made, we should be skeptical, shouldn't we be skeptical about whether we are doubting when we believe we are doubting?

Doubt doubt

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:18 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;155596 wrote:
What makes you think that, I wonder. Someone who believes that he doubts is assuming that he has the concept of doubt, and that there is such a thing as doubting. If he is making those assumptions, and you say that if assumptions are being made, we should be skeptical, shouldn't we be skeptical about whether we are doubting when we believe we are doubting?

Are you saying you doubt that doubt occurs? Or are you saying that doubt it a concept and therefore can not be communicated as no two people can have the same understanding of the word, thus it is noncommunicable?

The latter has crossed my mind but I believe that doubt occurs no mater what you want to call it. doubt is the opposite of believe in a way. we start out doubting everything unless we dont think at all. If there is proof good enough for us we believe it. a belief can be false but a doubt can not. You can doubt something that is true but you would be a fool to not doubt it before you new the evidence and you would be a fool to say it is certainty.

Also The key word in my quote is "seems". I would never even consider saying i was certain about anything i could be wrong about. Hell i would not say for certain i had to poop for even if a turtle head was poking out. but yes to me "doubt occurs" seems to appear to maybe be a certainty. Everything seems or appears and thus the mind/body question is mute.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:34 am
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt;155603 wrote:
Are you saying you doubt that doubt occurs? Or are you saying that doubt it a concept and therefore can not be communicated as no two people can have the same understanding of the word, thus it is noncommunicable?

The latter has crossed my mind but I believe that doubt occurs no mater what you want to call it. doubt is the opposite of believe in a way. we start out doubting everything unless we dont think at all. If there is proof good enough for us we believe it. a belief can be false but a doubt can not. You can doubt something that is true but you would be a fool to not doubt it before you new the evidence and you would be a fool to say it is certainty.

Also The key word in my quote is "seems". I would never even consider saying i was certain about anything i could be wrong about. Hell i would not say for certain i had to poop for even if a turtle head was poking out. but yes to me "doubt occurs" seems to appear to maybe be a certainty. Everything seems or appears and thus the mind/body question is mute.

Why can't I doubt that a person who say he doubts (including me) has the correct concept of doubt? For example, suppose I hear a person say he doubts that something is a chair, and then he sits down on it expecting it to hold him up. Such a person would, I would say, not understand what the word "doubt" means, and not have the correct concept of doubt. It is what C.S. Peirce would have called, "fake doubt".

Doubt doubt

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:24 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;155606 wrote:
Why can't I doubt that a person who say he doubts (including me) has the correct concept of doubt? For example, suppose I hear a person say he doubts that something is a chair, and then he sits down on it expecting it to hold him up. Such a person would, I would say, not understand what the word "doubt" means, and not have the correct concept of doubt. It is what C.S. Peirce would have called, "fake doubt".

I have never read any Pierce. Our assumptions for your example differ. I would assume the man that doubts the chair is a chair but sits on it anyways has courage. I for the most part agree and i was only asking for the purpose of clarity Though doubt is by far one of the most simple concepts. If you have ever believed something then to doubt is to not believe or to not believe completely. syntax aside even if you never heard of doubt you still doubt things. To have never doubted you would have to have believed everything you ever heard and have never heard two things that conflict. I guess If you died before you could understand words you may have never doubted.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:36 am
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt;155636 wrote:
I have never read any Pierce. Our assumptions for your example differ. I would assume the man that doubts the chair is a chair but sits on it anyways has courage. I for the most part agree and i was only asking for the purpose of clarity Though doubt is by far one of the most simple concepts. If you have ever believed something then to doubt is to not believe or to not believe completely. syntax aside even if you never heard of doubt you still doubt things. To have never doubted you would have to have believed everything you ever heard and have never heard two things that conflict. I guess If you died before you could understand words you may have never doubted.

I would not assume that the man does doubt the chair is a chair. Maybe if he sits down very tentatively and looks worried, he mightn't, but if he just sits down normally, I would doubt whether he understood the term. "doubt" (or, of course, he had just read Descartes and was kidding). It does not seem to me that "doubt" is at all a simple concept. Look at the questionable way that you use it? Of course, it is a simple concept if you are using it when, as Wittgenstein says, "language is at work", but it is certainly not simple at all when, as Wittgenstein says, you are using it when "language is just idling" and going nowhere. For instance, when you entirely detach the notion of doubt from the behavior of the alleged doubter.

Doubt doubt

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:50 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;155638 wrote:
I would not assume that the man does doubt the chair is a chair. Maybe if he sits down very tentatively and looks worried, he mightn't, but if he just sits down normally, I would doubt whether he understood the term. "doubt" (or, of course, he had just read Descartes and was kidding). It does not seem to me that "doubt" is at all a simple concept. Look at the questionable way that you use it? Of course, it is a simple concept if you are using it when, as Wittgenstein says, "language is at work", but it is certainly not simple at all when, as Wittgenstein says, you are using it when "language is just idling" and going nowhere. For instance, when you entirely detach the notion of doubt from the behavior of the alleged doubter.

Well i have no clue how to refute a philosophical argument that is supposed to happen in fiction. i guess the guy sitting on the alleged chair could be a lier or he could not care if he gets hurt. I would consider a concept simple when it is a concept encompassing several definitions and not a concept encompassing several concepts. doubt is self evident. even animals without language doubt and believe. these concepts are fundamental to anythings ability to function what so ever. love and truth are not.

by fiction i mean detaching doubt from the doubters behavior.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:02 am
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt;155642 wrote:
Well i have no clue how to refute a philosophical argument that is supposed to happen in fiction. i guess the guy sitting on the alleged chair could be a lier or he could not care if he gets hurt. I would consider a concept simple when it is a concept encompassing several definitions and not a concept encompassing several concepts. doubt is self evident. even animals without language doubt and believe. these concepts are fundamental to anythings ability to function what so ever. love and truth are not.

by fiction i mean detaching doubt from the doubters behavior.

But that is exactly what skeptics like Descartes do. They detach doubting from behavior, as I pointed out. That is why Peirce calls that kind of skepticism, "fake doubt", or, "sham doubt". And there is, of course, the egregious assumption that because it is possible that what I someone asserts is mistaken, it is appropriate to doubt it is true. It is possible for me to be mistaken that I have fingers, but that does not mean that if I assert that I have fingers, it is appropriate to doubt that I am wrong. That, again is fake, or sham doubt. To doubt my assertion that I have fingers, the doubter needs some positive reason to suppose that I am mistake. The mere possibility of error is not enough to justify the doubt. Skeptics do not distinguish between mere possibility and what is called, "real possibility" when there is some good reason to doubt.

Doubt doubt

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;155647 wrote:
But that is exactly what skeptics like Descartes do. They detach doubting from behavior, as I pointed out. That is why Peirce calls that kind of skepticism, "fake doubt", or, "sham doubt". And there is, of course, the egregious assumption that because it is possible that what I someone asserts is mistaken, it is appropriate to doubt it is true. It is possible for me to be mistaken that I have fingers, but that does not mean that if I assert that I have fingers, it is appropriate to doubt that I am wrong. That, again is fake, or sham doubt. To doubt my assertion that I have fingers, the doubter needs some positive reason to suppose that I am mistake. The mere possibility of error is not enough to justify the doubt. Skeptics do not distinguish between mere possibility and what is called, "real possibility" when there is some good reason to doubt.

to have doubt or to doubt is to not believe 100%. for all i know you could not have arms and could be talk to texting all of this. I or anyone would be a fool to believe 100% that you have fingers without seeing them. I do not think you understand skepticism very well. A skeptic does not doubt you have fingers they/i doubt it is possible to be certain that you do. I believe this because you can not make any claim without in involving assumptions. assumptions by definition are deserving of doubt. Also you should research the human blind spot and how a portion of everything anyone has ever seen with their eyes has been in part a fabrication of their mind. seeing as how it is a fact that my mind creates a portion of everything i ever have perceived i do not see how doubting even the most obvious perception could be "fake". I am a skeptic. I do not believe anything can be certain and therefore i believe you have to have a very lax definition of knowledge to claim humans can attain it. To sum up skepticism i would say it is the belief that no matter how true anything is it can at best be probable.

If i had to bet money on it i would bet you have 10 fingers but even if i was looking at them the veil of perception makes it imposable for me to be certain. If you know about the human blind spot then you would know that if your fingers fall into my blind spot my brain will make me see a 5 fingered hand whether it is there or not. however if i was expecting 4-3-2-1-0 fingers that is what my mind would create to fill in the blank.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:35 am
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt;155657 wrote:
to have doubt or to doubt is to not believe 100%. for all i know you could not have arms and could be talk to texting all of this. I or anyone would be a fool to believe 100% that you have fingers without seeing them. I do not think you understand skepticism very well. A skeptic does not doubt you have fingers they/i doubt it is possible to be certain that you do. I believe this because you can not make any claim without in involving assumptions. assumptions by definition are deserving of doubt. Also you should research the human blind spot and how a portion of everything anyone has ever seen with their eyes has been in part a fabrication of their mind. seeing as how it is a fact that my mind creates a portion of everything i ever have perceived i do not see how doubting even the most obvious perception could be "fake". I am a skeptic. I do not believe anything can be certain and therefore i believe you have to have a very lax definition of knowledge to claim humans can attain it. To sum up skepticism i would say it is the belief that no matter how true anything is it can at best be probable.

If i had to bet money on it i would bet you have 10 fingers but even if i was looking at them the veil of perception makes it imposable for me to be certain. If you know about the human blind spot then you would know that if your fingers fall into my blind spot my brain will make me see a 5 fingered hand whether it is there or not. however if i was expecting 4-3-2-1-0 fingers that is what my mind would create to fill in the blank.

For all you know? Why would you say that, I wonder. Would you say that for all you know I might be a robot manipulated by a mad genius?

I did not say that I was certain that I had ten fingers, beyond the possibility of error. All I said was that I know I have ten fingers. That just implies that I am not in error, and that there is no real possibility of error. Knowing is different from certainty. Telling me that it is possible that I am mistaken about something tells me I am not certain about it. It does not tell me that I do not know it is true.

Deckard

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:55 am
@kennethamy,
Comment Deleted...posted on the wrong thread

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 04:20:12