could use a hand gathering some examples.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » could use a hand gathering some examples.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 07:01 pm
Hi im writing this paper tonight so after that it will not be helping anymore.

here is what i could use a hand with. i have to argue from a utilitarian viewpoint for this but it seams so outright bad that im having trouble thinking of any good that could come out of it at all.

bill discovers that human beings respond sexually to a certain series of notes played repeatedly by a synthesizer at a certain pitch. in 99 of 100 cases the humans hearing the sound will head for the nearest human of opposite sex and have wild sex with them.

I have to argue for going public with this, to profit, from a utilitarian viewpoint. my problem is i cant see any good coming out of this. it seems like rape will skyrocket.

the good i can see would be if it could be listened to on headphones by someone that couldnt get an erect-ion and they could it could help with ED. Also if a couple wanted to have sex but where to embarrassed they could force themselves to get over it and do it anyways. with these i dont feel even a moron would attempt to say these could out-way the abuse of this tech. hell not only rape but you could hack into a back and play it and rob the place while people where screwing on the floor.

so any idea of something good that could come out of this would be very helpful. thanks

lazer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 08:22 pm
@Doubt doubt,
Your description reminds me of the sleep drug Ambien, which apparently often causes people to have display some bizarre behavior when taken. Partners of people taking Ambien have reported they've had the best, wildest sex of their lives when their loved ones were on Ambien. The next day, the Ambien-induced sexcapades are reported to have been forgotten by the person who actually took the drug. There have been some big debates about this, too.

After the sound stops and the wild sex has been had, do people realize what happened? As in, is it plausible that they would realize that they were forced to listen to this sound and regret what they did, or do they just forget the event?

From a selfish perspective I'd love for something like this to actually be invented. People are sexual beings, imagine being able to freely express that with no repercussions. "Well, I didn't mean to have kinky group sex in the middle of the road, I just heard this sound and couldn't help myself." It would allow people to be more open when it comes to expressing our sexuality. If this drug becomes and everyday, common thing, some of the things that we consider so taboo now (such as the previously mentioned sex in public scenario) are bound to not be so taboo anymore. It could help us get more in touch with our sexual natures, which society in a lot of cases wants us to suppress (which I think is ridiculous). And heck, I've been curious what would happen if I got my hands on some Ambien and tried it (on myself, not my partner..or maybe both...with his permission of course).

But I, too, think that this thing could definitely do more harm than good. It's easier to control something like a pill, easier to not take it. It's not so easy to control a sound that anyone can play anywhere. Sorry if I wasn't much help.

Quinn phil

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 08:27 pm
@Doubt doubt,
Maybe guys who never get laid will get some, and it will boost the self-confidence of people around the world. No more 40-year-old virgins.

Camerama

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 08:34 pm
@Doubt doubt,
How about...

Utilitarians argue the greatest good for the greatest number. The "greatest number" or majority of humans are sex deprived you could argue.

But why not elabborate on what you've already posted.

Doubt doubt

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 03:06 am
@Camerama,
Camerama;141153 wrote:
How about...

Utilitarians argue the greatest good for the greatest number. The "greatest number" or majority of humans are sex deprived you could argue.

But why not elabborate on what you've already posted.

@ lazer. yes they would realize what happened once the music stoped. one second she could hate the guy she was with and the next she would hear the tune and want to screw. when the music was gone she would remember screwing and feel raped.

so your saying there are more sex deprived men than there are women that dont want to be raped? i think i have may have made my original post in a confusing manner. besides the paper is finished. feel free to discuse amongst yourselves though.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:43 pm
@Doubt doubt,

jgweed

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 07:09 am
@Doubt doubt,
If everyone is aware of the consequences of listening, doesn't this alter its effects? The argument might be about having such knowledge does provide the greatest happiness to the greatest number, as long as happiness is not limited to getting laid.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » could use a hand gathering some examples.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 12:42:35