Appearance vs. Reality (gap)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 06:20 am
@Absolution phil,
Absolution;98687 wrote:
That poses an interesting question, can we define a concrete object without having an abstract theory of how to define it first? It seems definitions themselves require a theory as description of what encompasses that object. And if such quantities like temperature, can be considered objects, as theories evolved the definition of temperature has changed.

All definitions are abstract entities, so the answer to your question is, no. The definition of many scientific terms change, as our understanding of what the terms denote change. The definition of "acid" is a good example.

Whoever

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:16 am
@alex717,
Are you suggesting that an object is a theory? Makes sense to me.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:52 am
@Whoever,
Whoever;98740 wrote:
Are you suggesting that an object is a theory? Makes sense to me.

No. Doesn't make sense to me. Tables are not theories. Whatever it might mean to say that an object is a theory.

longknowledge

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 04:36 pm
@kennethamy,
An object can have theories, but a theory can have objects.

And what about the family?

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 08:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98090 wrote:
Why would anyone believe that because he, or someone else, cannot tell the difference between what is real, and what is fake, that there is no difference, is something I don't understand. He would be making his own ignorance into a standard for others.

It's not that there is no difference, but rather a question about what the word "real" means, what "reality" is made of. Is "justice" real? Is "love" real? Have you ever had a memory and were in doubt whether it was a memory of a dream or a "real" experience? Are dreams unreal because they are private? Is "reality" defined by objectivity? But what is objectivity founded upon? We've riffed on this before, of course, but this thread caught my eye.
Is appearance versus reality merely a practical distinction?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:33 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113641 wrote:
It's not that there is no difference, but rather a question about what the word "real" means, what "reality" is made of. Is "justice" real? Is "love" real? Have you ever had a memory and were in doubt whether it was a memory of a dream or a "real" experience? Are dreams unreal because they are private? Is "reality" defined by objectivity? But what is objectivity founded upon? We've riffed on this before, of course, but this thread caught my eye.
Is appearance versus reality merely a practical distinction?

"Merely a practical distinction" as contrasted with what? As I observed elsewhere, what is real depends on what is not real. A real truck may be just not a toy truck (in one context) but a real truck may be just not a scrawny light truck in a different context. And, a real experience (in the context you indicate) is one that actually occurred as contrasted with what did not occur, but you believe occurred. Dreams are not real not because they are private (whatever you mean by that) but because although the dream did occur, their contents did not.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:45 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;113664 wrote:
Dreams are not real not because they are private (whatever you mean by that) but because although the dream did occur, their contents did not.

Well, I say the contents did occur. After all, if there is no afterlife, then all of life is a dream, although much longer.

I would say that life is justified by feeling (happiness, etc.). Does this occur, if no one can see it directly? Perhaps you see my point. Much that matters to us as individuals is not directly visible, measurable.

Therefore appearance and reality are, in my view, practical distinctions.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 12:00 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113668 wrote:
Well, I say the contents did occur. After all, if there is no afterlife, then all of life is a dream, although much longer.

I would say that life is justified by feeling (happiness, etc.). Does this occur, if no one can see it directly? Perhaps you see my point. Much that matters to us as individuals is not directly visible, measurable.

Therefore appearance and reality are, in my view, practical distinctions.

You mean that if someone dreams he is in India riding on an elephant hunting tigers, although he is snug in bed in Cleveland, that "the contents" (of the dream) did occur"? Nah!

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 12:07 am
@alex717,
Well, this hinges on "occur." Seriously, I'd like to know what you have to say on the essence of the matter. Surely you understand me. Let's not waste time on the terms. Lord knows, we're both smart enough to grasp what the other is saying. Yes?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 12:15 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113684 wrote:
Well, this hinges on "occur." Seriously, I'd like to know what you have to say on the essence of the matter. Surely you understand me. Let's not waste time on the terms. Lord knows, we're both smart enough to grasp what the other is saying. Yes?

Apparently, I am not "smart enough". He did not go to India. Those events did not occur. He only dreamed them. I am not being subtle. You are just wrong. That is, "the essence of the matter".

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 12:45 am
@alex717,
If you feel that way, god bless ye!

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 12:52 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113698 wrote:
If you feel that way, god bless ye!

It is not a feeling.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:07 am
@alex717,
You know how it be. Words in context. It's a crystal clear thought, I get it. And yet feeling steers the way we think, what we choose to understand. I don't think thought and feeling are as separate as some might suggest. There's always a human where these distinctions meet in a living unity.

Quinn phil

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:15 am
@alex717,
alex717;96258 wrote:
Ic, I guess what she is trying to get across is Plato and Descartes' opinions on reality gaps-through appearance and reality. She has used some movies such as the Matrix so sort of illustrate her point. But, I have missed a lot of class and can't really grasp the concept. She uses the word Bridge, is there a gap between appearance and reality and if so, how can it be bridged. Could someone provide an example of that? All of the former examples you guys posted I understand, but where then does the argument come into play.

She may also be trying to say that everything's appearance, because we never really know what reality is, even when we someday reach it. In the movie, "The Matrix", they portray Zion as the realist city, whereas the earth that you and I live on is completely fake. If I were to reach Zion, personally, I'd question it's realism as well. I know it's a tedious, and useless way of think. I still can't help it.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:17 am
@alex717,
I don't think it's useless. Whoever wrote the Matrix has some money in their pocket. Also I think its a gift to have imagination in general. Inventors, writers, directors, comedians....

Quinn phil

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:30 am
@alex717,
Thank you, that helps. When it comes to writing in philosophy, I'm a "What if" maniac about things. Especially reality and God.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 02:04 am
@alex717,
Reality and God are inexhaustibly interesting words. To me, it's one of mankind's greatest qualities. He always wants the window a little more open. It's as if we live in two worlds. The inner world has saved me a lot of money on entertainment as well. to me, everything is interesting. Everything is food for thought. And everything tends finally to connect to everything else. Life is good. It's sad to see people bored. I doubt you have that problem.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 07:02 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113704 wrote:
You know how it be. Words in context. It's a crystal clear thought,

All I meant is that I have an argument for it.

---------- Post added 12-23-2009 at 08:06 AM ----------

Quinn;113708 wrote:
She may also be trying to say that everything's appearance, because we never really know what reality is

Even if we did not know what reality is (which is preposterous) why would that mean that everything is appearance?

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 03:28 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;113733 wrote:

Even if we did not know what reality is (which is preposterous) why would that mean that everything is appearance?

I was just reading last night about Bataille and Carnap arguing all night (decades ago) about whether the sun existed before man did.

The "Continental " philosophers take their cue largely from Husserl. The Analytics seem to take their cue from Frege. The Continentals have tried to keep philosophy as wisdom alive. You can speak for the Analytics yourself.

Sir Neuron

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 01:11 pm
@Reconstructo,
Try this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqnEGu8VF8Y&feature=related

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:57:46