What do you want to be when you grow up?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Ding an Sich
 
Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 06:26 am
@HexHammer,
I just want to be a philosopher. Oh wait! I already am! :-O
 
Soul Brother
 
Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:45 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;164362 wrote:
- I want to make school education better
- I want to make society better
- I want to make the world free of polution
- I want to make the deserts green ..if that fails make cooling stations across the deserts
- I wish to get a buisness empire great enough to gain political will, to change things
- invent a machine generating cheap electricity for 3rd world countries


Wow! thank you very much for this hex hammer, these are the things I wish everybody wished for, instead all I hear people wish is for money, money, and money.

Global consumer capitalism is what makes all of the above impossible.
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 07:02 am
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;169902 wrote:
Wow! thank you very much for this hex hammer, these are the things I wish everybody wished for, instead all I hear people wish is for money, money, and money.

Global consumer capitalism is what makes all of the above impossible.
Yes, you are very right my friend, and I can only say to all others...

Too many put themselves before others. Sees only their own and sometimes the needs of their closetest, before those who really are in need.

- too many are indifferent about others
- too many sees others as competetors or enemies, when they should see them as victims or friends.
- stop your selfpity, others has it far worse
- too often I see those who have nothing, help far more than those who have everything

..what did you do for the world today?
 
Purplesawdust
 
Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 03:06 am
@mister kitten,
When i was little i wanted to be a fireman, or a police officer, or even the president. I think this has to do with the fact that i wanted to have a positive influence in the world and i felt that those jobs would help me the best. Now that i am at least a little bit older i now realize that i don't have to be a fire man, a police officer, or the president to change that world. Everything i do has a ripple effect, and hopefully, my ripple is a positive one. Because of this, i feel that if i continue on my path of what i said above about doing good, i can fulfill the fundamental reason of why i wanted to be what i wanted to be when i grow up.
 
mister kitten
 
Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:08 am
@Purplesawdust,
Purplesawdust;171185 wrote:
When i was little i wanted to be a fireman, or a police officer, or even the president. I think this has to do with the fact that i wanted to have a positive influence in the world and i felt that those jobs would help me the best. Now that i am at least a little bit older i now realize that i don't have to be a fire man, a police officer, or the president to change that world. Everything i do has a ripple effect, and hopefully, my ripple is a positive one. Because of this, i feel that if i continue on my path of what i said above about doing good, i can fulfill the fundamental reason of why i wanted to be what i wanted to be when i grow up.


A ripple like an earthquake, or a ripple like a wave?
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 04:20 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic;164441 wrote:
Try to be a little easier on HexHammer He seems to have a dream and that is where changes start. [In my opinion]

He is also here on this site considering all of your points of views, So I would say that he has a interest in changing himself for the better sometime sun.

Maybe I am wrong and if I am, I am cool if HexHammer wants to burst my illogical bubble. LOL :surrender:

I missed this post.
I hope you did not think that I was saying I thought badly of HexHammer.
I hope you did not think my post where I asked if he ever wanted to make himself better was a negative judgement. Heaven forbid an attack.
I love him, I wish he would love me, but the point of my question 'what about making yourself better?' was in fact an exposition that he cared so much about making the world a better place he was leaving no room to give himself any of the benefit.
Making the world better starts by making yourself better even if just for the world.
I know this is what keeps me alive is that I have an unshakeable faith I must be better, I can be better, I will be better.
The word 'better' for me is one of my most important words and meanings.
Ther eis not one amongst us who could not be 'better'.
I was just trying to show he was so concerned with saving the world he may be to busy to save himself.
So just in case I was not heard the first time, I love HexHammer, I wish he could love me and if not me then himself a little better.
 
BennySquire
 
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:02 am
@Purplesawdust,
Purplesawdust;171185 wrote:
When i was little i wanted to be a fireman, or a police officer, or even the president. I think this has to do with the fact that i wanted to have a positive influence in the world and i felt that those jobs would help me the best. Now that i am at least a little bit older i now realize that i don't have to be a fire man, a police officer, or the president to change that world. Everything i do has a ripple effect, and hopefully, my ripple is a positive one. Because of this, i feel that if i continue on my path of what i said above about doing good, i can fulfill the fundamental reason of why i wanted to be what i wanted to be when i grow up.


I understand what you mean by the ripple, i.e. your actions have a more far-reaching effect on society than you realise, but don't the jobs you mentioned have a larger and stronger ripple effect?

I want to contribute to humanity's progress as much as I can, as who knows what we can achieve in the future - I feel very priveliged to live in an era of rapidly developing technology, with ideas that were once portrayed (especially by the media) as tongue-in-cheek dreams actually becoming possible. However, I feel the inequality in this world is disgusting - with developed countries and their rampant and superficial capitalism and materialism juxtaposed against starving, war-torn countries in Africa and elsewhere, and it should be equalised so that as many people as possible can contribute to humanity's progress. We also need to stop climate change or it will wreak havoc on our species, as well as all other such major threats - deforestation, overfishing, etc. The governments of the world must address all of these and I would like a job that can assist in some way.
 
aaktinos
 
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 03:09 pm
@mister kitten,
Q: What do you want to be when you grow up?

A: Happy.
 
mister kitten
 
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:23 pm
@aaktinos,
aaktinos;171778 wrote:
Q: What do you want to be when you grow up?

A: Happy.



Happy alone? No other emotions?

Happy or content? - they're different

For how long?
 
Fil Albuquerque
 
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:28 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;163621 wrote:
I want to be an artist/poet-story writer.
What about you?

How do we reach those job dreams?
Is it better to start planning now?
When should one have a job?


One should have a job when one is born...to be what one must !

When I grow up I would like to be a contemplating stone...How else would I reach for eternity ahead of me ? Smile
 
Ding an Sich
 
Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 09:02 am
@mister kitten,
---------- Post added 06-03-2010 at 11:03 AM ----------

aaktinos;171778 wrote:
Q: What do you want to be when you grow up?

A: Happy.


Every human being wants to be happy. We already expect this from you.
 
Krumple
 
Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 09:15 am
@mister kitten,
Re: What do you want to be when you grow up?

I want to be miserable.
I want to be mediocre.
I want to be unfulfilled.

Set the ball low and then when you achieve more than your expectations you can never be disappointed.
 
Fido
 
Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 10:32 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;172452 wrote:
Re: What do you want to be when you grow up?

I want to be miserable.
I want to be mediocre.
I want to be unfulfilled.

Set the ball low and then when you achieve more than your expectations you can never be disappointed.

Twang goes my magic twanger, and your wish is granted; and now, this way for the gas..
 
mark noble
 
Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 01:42 pm
@Fido,
Hi Mister Kitten.

Me.

Have a wonderful everything.

Mark...
 
apehead
 
Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 01:51 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;163621 wrote:
I want to be an artist/poet-story writer.
What about you?


I want to be liberated from being forced to earn wages to pay my "protection" money to the crime syndicate collectively know as the state. I also want to be self-sufficient enough for financial liberation, and to survive any disasters, or societal collapse.

mister kitten;163621 wrote:
How do we reach those job dreams?


My preferred method is to amass rental properties and cut living expenses until a financial balance is struck, allowing me to retire.

mister kitten;163621 wrote:
Is it better to start planning now?

It is my belief that one should begin planning as soon as the goal is stated. I own a house, live with three tenants, and am in the planning stage of a permaculture-based forest garden, in the hopes of attaining some degree of financial autonomy.
mister kitten;163621 wrote:
When should one have a job?

When your goals require a surplus of capital, as opposed to a surplus of time.
 
G-Thomson
 
Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 01:56 pm
@mister kitten,
I plan to become a journalist.
 
Fido
 
Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:32 pm
@G-Thomson,
G-Thomson;172565 wrote:
I plan to become a journalist.


And I pity the foo with such a plan as that... People plan for success and not for failure, and journalism is a job more saturated with bodies to do it than hand loom weavers were once in England... Don't send your life down the toilet in search of a job that is already over done and under paid... There is more money in being the news than in reporting it; and if you don't believe me ask a bank robber...If you want money, go and take it... If you want respect, work and earn it the hard way, doing a job that actually creates value and does not feed every fear or pruient desire...
 
Reconstructo
 
Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:42 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;164362 wrote:
- I want to make school education better
- I want to make society better
- I want to make the world free of polution
- I want to make the deserts green ..if that fails make cooling stations across the deserts
- I wish to get a buisness empire great enough to gain political will, to change things
- invent a machine generating cheap electricity for 3rd world countries


I just knew you had a good heart!

---------- Post added 06-03-2010 at 04:57 PM ----------

--Oh, this might sound like a lie, but I only want money so I can have time for my real work, which is philosophy-math-art-love-machine. I'm about to junk my car, so that cabin in the woods dream is something for later.
--Teaching math, assuming I went to school so I could do so, might infuriate me. Those damn kids might not appreciate it sufficiently. And then the idea of being steered down some narrow path. Do it this way! Not your way! Teach a man to fish, I say. Light the fire. Instill a passion for learning, by showing its beauty. As soon as its a duty, it's no longer beauty?
--I feel more like an artist, a giver of beauty. I mean that's what I want to be. The concept is art. To write a book and perhaps more important speak of the beauty and interconnection that I see between philosophy, math, religion, music. Absolute form. And the non-formal love that makes these forms beautiful in the first place. I don't want to get bogged down in specialization. I mostly don't expect to ever make "real" money but only enough "fake" money to keep me afloat. One thing I have learned how to do is to get along with any half-kind person no matter their opinions.
--Alright, my ultimate dream is probably to write a good book, in both senses of the word. I'm a social being with a big mouth. So maybe I should preach my "atheist" gospel of love/beauty....Hmmm...I want to use this love of words to make others glad to be alive. If I could make just enough by doing this, that would be ideal.
 
G-Thomson
 
Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 04:01 am
@Fido,
Fido;172580 wrote:
And I pity the foo with such a plan as that... People plan for success and not for failure, and journalism is a job more saturated with bodies to do it than hand loom weavers were once in England... Don't send your life down the toilet in search of a job that is already over done and under paid... There is more money in being the news than in reporting it; and if you don't believe me ask a bank robber...If you want money, go and take it... If you want respect, work and earn it the hard way, doing a job that actually creates value and does not feed every fear or pruient desire...

I'm already in university doing journalism, so it's a bit late to change it. Not that I would, as writing is my passion.
I've already heard all the talk about how it is underpaid, but it doesn't put me off. I'll just get a more steady job as well.
 
apehead
 
Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 06:23 am
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;169902 wrote:

Global consumer capitalism is what makes all of the above impossible.


Not so fast! Could we possibly start a new thread to discuss this? Since you seem to be all about "oughts" (which I disagree with right off the bat), you should at least take a look at Ethical Egoism (which, being a normative values set, I don't support) to at least get a second opinion. I look forward to discussing this on a new thread. I'll even get it started.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/20/2021 at 02:26:50