Would you trade your life for a happy feeling?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Sytar Embassy

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:16 pm
@Justin,
Ok, so then heres a little something we talked about in my class today. Is there a moral right and a moral wrong? something that every last person on the Earth would agree is right and something that everyone would agree is wrong? Of course, people in my class said no because we are only human and we disagree with each other. However, my teacher asked if we could come up with one. we where stumped.

Now, I said, "There can never be a moral right and a moral wring because as everyone has said, 'we are all only human.' When we lock up someone for a crime here, some group of people somewhere else in the world would say that we are the ones that should be locked up."

Then we got this new concept of Utilitarianism. So, heres the new situation.
"There is Guy 1. he is being robbed by Guy 2. Guy 1 and Guy 2 you have never meet before in your life. Guy 1 is in the house while Guy 2 is robbing him. Guy 1 finds a gun(how he does is not important). Under Utilitarianism, does Guy 1 have the moral right to shoot and kill Guy 2, or continue to let Guy 2 rob him. Guy 1 has no other opions. Kill Guy 2, or let himself get robbed."

What do you think?:a-thought:

iconoclast

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:43 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
Quote:
Is there a moral right and a moral wrong?

Try human extinction occuring as a result of human action or inaction. This works as a moral absolute because existence is non-contingent - which is to say that all else is contingent on existence to have meaning.

If the general principle of utilitariansim is the greatest good for the greatest number - I don't see how utilitarianism is brought up by this scenario. There's two guys. It's only if you universialize the outcome you might consider, in utilitarian terms, the consequences for a society that allows or disallows killing in defense of property.

I'd argue against killing because it is better that someone is robbed than someone is killed. Utilitarianism doesn't involve itself in further moral considerations - calling moral that which serves the greatest good for the greatest number.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:41 pm
@iconoclast,
Quote:
O man, me is confused! "A warm gun?" Could you explain your self a little on that?

Beatles song. From the White Album. Bad joke, sorry.

Sytar Embassy

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:56 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
:lol:My mom would have told me that if she read that... maybe. Anyway, thanks for explaining that. But as regaurds to my statement. I would have to agree with you. When my teacher explained the whole thing, i just started back with a ".... What?"face. but near the end of his rant, i was starting to understand what this all is.

I came up with an inventive solution though. I would help the guy rob me. that way i could get a close look at his car, plate number, and maybe the guy. Then report him to the police later. lol. It doesn't fit into the situation, but i thinks it pretty funny. My teacher laughed a little too, but said, "thats not an opion."

iconoclast

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:09 am
@Sytar Embassy,
satyr (and boagie)

please, pleese, pleez, it's not reguards - it's regards. from regarding - not re-guards, as in to guard again. but regard as in to view or to hold in high esteem.

iconoclast.

Sytar Embassy

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:52 am
@iconoclast,
Sorry, my spelling is really bad. Just please try to bear with me.:flowers:

iconoclast

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:13 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
i hope you don't think i'm :slap:

but it makes me :eeek:

and i don't want to be all :rules:

cause who needs :big-guns:

when i'd much rather be :flowers:

are we :drinking:

CORGIGUY

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:19 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
philosiphically don't you think true happiness comes when you are able organize your life in such way that events have a purpose and meaning that reflect your own individuality. in other words when you are living life in your own terms and are involved in a projects of your own choosing then you have sense that you are directing your own path. i think that's when you experience true happiness.

Sytar Embassy

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:46 pm
@CORGIGUY,
True words, Corgiguy.:a-ok: The best part of life is being able to live it.

let change the situation, again. Lets say that while you are in the box. A simulation of thing that make you happy are displayed in your mind so not only do you feel happy, but you can see it too. Alos, the box will shoot situlation into your body to make you movelike you would in the happy thought. Thus, creating a flawless alternet reality. How do that change idea?

CORGIGUY

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:45 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
look IMHO what you are describing is a mood , something temporary that has no meaning akin to being in some sort of high. to me happiness is the result of of being engaged in living being involved in something that of your own choosing.

Zetetic11235

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:14 pm
@CORGIGUY,
Here is a twist: The machine hooks you up to a virtual reality that you will not know is virtual once you are hooked up to it. It will determine how you would most prefer to live your life and, more than simply subject you to pleasure(which is what you guys are talking about, not ncessarily happiness. It is drug induced pleasure, get it right;)), it will model your life in a believable way but with a synthetic boost of good fortune and artificial fulfillment. It will enforce your 'positve' self illusions and eliminate any horrible problems, all will be relatively well in the world, but not too happ sunshine well, and if disaster is what you need, it will create it. Would you live in this machine of maximized preference?

iconoclast

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:32 pm
@CORGIGUY,
See 'better than life video game' - from top UK comedy series Red Dwarf.

Psychonaut

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:23 pm
@iconoclast,
Ok guys, don't you think your not exactly looking at this with an open mind? Happiness 24/7...... no catch. Few of you gave a good reason to back up why you wouldn't get in the box, iconoclast, more so than everyone "With respect, I'm done talking about this. Don't do drugs, they're false and destructive. iconoclast." am i the only one here who finds this particular comment to be a bit narrow-minded? Back on topic i wouldn't go in the box only because i have family to think about who i love and care about. If i had no family, yes i would go in the box. Most responses i read are from people who need to get off their high-horse and stop being so self-righteous.

sorry if i didn't really contribute anything to the discussion but i had to get this out, i really expected more people to go in the box. :nonooo:

iconoclast

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:01 pm
@Psychonaut,
Yeah, psychonaut, you're right. I'm shoddy and narrow minded...hardly a philosopher really, just someone who comes on these sites to spout off!

welcome.

iconoclast.

Sytar Embassy

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 04:43 pm
@iconoclast,
Psychonaut, you are absolutly right.

Think of it this way. Where you are now in life has its ups and downs. but what if all your life was ups? no down side to any deal. What you guys are saying it still true but, as Psychonaut said, "...a bit narrow-minded..."

Try to re-think this.:a-thought:

Ennui phil

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 07:47 am
@Sytar Embassy,
Sytar Embassy wrote:
Ok, heres the question.

"Scientists have invented box that you walk in, sit in a chair, and the machine shoots stimulents into your body that makes you feel happy. The box will vary the stimulent so its a new feeling of happy every so often so that you wount get borde of it. After about 10 hours, a life support system turns on to keep you alive. Its free to use for as long as you like. However, everyone that has entered the box has never come back out.:disappointed: Now, your next in line. Would you go into the box knowing you may never come out?"

I said no becuase the real happyness isn't in a metal box. It's in your backyard. I would much rather move and run than sit and feel good. In life, you can't just want to feel good 24/7. You have to feel the full range on emoutions. Anger, sarrow, ect. Thats what makes life so great, the ability to feel this range on emoution.

Input?

That a significant elucidation of you already,Sytar Embassy.

Glee doesn't bestowed from mechanisms,it is a disposition.Albeit there is a unique remedy to be gleeful,being inside the aforementioned machine shoots and stimulated the mind will not last forever and inevitably will cease.

If glee comes from the demeanour,your own demeanour,it will last longer.

Sytar Embassy

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 05:51 pm
@Ennui phil,
Ennui wrote:
That a significant elucidation of you already,Sytar Embassy.

Glee doesn't bestowed from mechanisms,it is a disposition.Albeit there is a unique remedy to be gleeful,being inside the aforementioned machine shoots and stimulated the mind will not last forever and inevitably will cease.

If glee comes from the demeanour,your own demeanour,it will last longer.

..... Forgive my stuidity, but you used a lot of words I don't understand. Would it be at all possible to reword that?

Oh, and sorry I haven't been posting lately. You know, school and all, and I was chasing this one chick. I got her and everything is good now. Anyway, thanks for replying.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 07:21 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
Quote:
Oh, and sorry I haven't been posting lately. You know, school and all, and I was chasing this one chick. I got her and everything is good now.

Hooray for lovin'!

Sytar Embassy

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 01:58 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Ya. Great time.

Khethil

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 03:24 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
Sytar Embassy wrote:
Would you go into the box knowing you may never come out?"

This rings a really-loud bell of a movie I saw back in the early/mid 80's. "Brainstorm" or some such.

No I wouldn't.

• I'd be apprehensive: "There's no such thing as a free lunch"-sentiment
  • I'd think it would burn itself out: One needs to experience sadness, frustration, consternation, pain, anger; in order to recognize and appreciate happiness. Over time, it'd be self-defeating I'd think
  • I'd feel somehow cheapened by the artificial-nature of the notion.
  • I really work to try and live my life "as is", with as little external-stimulation as possible.

But oh yea, it'd be tempting. Nice thought to ponder. Thanks

----

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/07/2024 at 10:26:57