The Existance of .. Nothing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

boagie
 
Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:43 am
@Fido,
Fido,

:)Losing me, not at all, in mythology it is like you are the still point of the earth, the axis------the axismundi, meaning the still point axis, and the samsara--which is the whirlwind, the still point of consciousness, the motion the whirlwind of the world. Sounds a little odd but, its the centre, like Nietzsche's rolling from the centre, if you do not have that orientation, you certainly cannot be that wheel which then rolls from its centre -orientation. Just a slight change in medications :rolleyes:why do you ask??:p
 
Fido
 
Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 08:33 pm
@Fido,
You can make some argument that North and South exist because we associate them with natural phenomenon. East and West are handy for orientation, but it is only from our perspective, the only perspective that is not always changing, that East and West have meaning. Isn't that what people have always done, mark the progress of the seasons with stone calenders, and astral observatories to give to fleeting impression some fixed perspective?
 
boagie
 
Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 09:53 pm
@Fido,
Fido,Smile

Excellent Fido, looks like there is much more to this than first glance would have it. If you were walking the full circumference of the earth, would it matter if you were walking clockwise or counter clockwise if you were walking west, and at what point would it become east that you are walking. At any rate it is a useful concept, I never really thought about how really weird the concept is. Your last statement, quite insightful, everything is fleeting I suppose. Even left and right have to be taught to us, in some cultural sistutations I do not imagine the need for the concept of left and right would be of a necessity. What is it they say, the world is not as strange as you can imagine, it is stranger than you can imagine.
 
No0ne
 
Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 05:59 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
You can make some argument that North and South exist because we associate them with natural phenomenon. East and West are handy for orientation, but it is only from our perspective, the only perspective that is not always changing, that East and West have meaning. Isn't that what people have always done, mark the progress of the seasons with stone calenders, and astral observatories to give to fleeting impression some fixed perspective?



This can be seen in space as well, there is no up down left and right or north west east south unless you say there is, therefore there is, hence such thing's as that only exist because "you" or "another" say's they do, therefore you make them have an existence...:rolleyes:


You could see it as human's making lable's for the system of are existence.

Tool's must be labled to share them with other's...

(hence such concept's are mearly tool's to share perception)
(yet every tool has a purpose and an oppisite purpose to it)
 
Mephistopheles phil
 
Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:35 pm
@Paradox1,
Paradox1 wrote:
Guys, this is one thing I've been thinking of for quite a while. Is there such thing as "Nothing"?

By nothing I don't mean "My coffee! It's gone! There's nothing left!", I mean .. Is there, somewhere, a place or location or whatever that is completely devoid of EVERYTHING, including the "building blocks" of life?

Give your ideas people.

Very Happy


I know this OP isn't around anymore, but his quesiton deserves the merit of a response.

Yes, there is such a place where nothing exists, not even existence or thought. Death. The place we came from and the place we will all go, like a sad sort of Hades without anything there to begin with.
 
Fido
 
Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 06:20 am
@No0ne,
No0ne wrote:
This can be seen in space as well, there is no up down left and right or north west east south unless you say there is, therefore there is, hence such thing's as that only exist because "you" or "another" say's they do, therefore you make them have an existence...:rolleyes:


You could see it as human's making lable's for the system of are existence.

Tool's must be labled to share them with other's...

(hence such concept's are mearly tool's to share perception)
(yet every tool has a purpose and an oppisite purpose to it)

Not to say I disagree with your conclusions, but there is some physical quality associated with north and south, as the rotation of the earth, and the magnetic poles of the earth, and that it is North and South as opposites which give East and West their meaning, because from our perspective, on a flat earth, we need to orient ourselves. With moral opposites we orient ourselves in regard to others without a true physical reference point, which often means that we have found a very undistiguishing point by which to distinguish ourselves. If we talk about people we should first realize that we are not opposite to each other, and that word labels like good and bad, white or black, right or left, wrong or right, all serve to alienate each from the other, and should be used sparingly if at all. People are people and we all have similar if not identical needs. Some have different abilities, but geniuses are as common as idiots, so we should all try to get by and help each other. imo. Thanks
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 06:04 pm
@Mephistopheles phil,
Meph:
Quote:
Yes, there is such a place where nothing exists, not even existence or thought. Death. The place we came from and the place we will all go, like a sad sort of Hades without anything there to begin with.


This implies that the rest of the world does not go on once we die, or that there is only not-nothing because we percieve it.
 
Fido
 
Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 06:29 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
Meph:

This implies that the rest of the world does not go on once we die, or that there is only not-nothing because we percieve it.

From the point of view of the living, death is both the end of life and of meaning. What then does it matter if life goes on for the living, and what does it mean if it does? Absolutly nothing, because sans life is sans everything.
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 09:50 pm
@Fido,
Fido:
Just attempting to clarify whether he was talking about objective or subjective nothing.
 
OntheWindowStand
 
Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 01:55 pm
@GoshisDead,
If we are talking physically nothing then yes that is a easy question. nothing is right outside our atmosphere onlything there are forms of enerygy no matter at all though
 
Fido
 
Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:21 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
OntheWindowStand wrote:
If we are talking physically nothing then yes that is a easy question. nothing is right outside our atmosphere onlything there are forms of enerygy no matter at all though

I don't mean to abuse you, but the relative nothiness of space is only that, and it is a rather safe conclusion that there is. at a minimum, a whole lot of free hydrogen through out the cosmos. And, if Aristotle was right that nothing has no proportional relationship with one, or two, or three; then zero as a concept is not really a concept at all, but is instead a mathamatical fiction given to make equations efficient, and workable. Math, like language is an abstraction of reality, and yet, it does not have to be exact to be generally correct, and since it is a form of relationship, past errors can be corrected for in the present.
 
Holiday20310401
 
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 07:56 pm
@Fido,
'Nothing' is not a very hard concept to grasp and yet so hard to be ascertained, if even possible.
 
Fido
 
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:58 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
'Nothing' is not a very hard concept to grasp and yet so hard to be ascertained, if even possible.

If it cannot be ascertained it cannot even be a concept, but as a framework for all that is real, in the sense of space, it is simply accepted as fact without definition or certainty or concept. Look at it this way: We concieve of all things in order to manipulate them, mentally, in order to accomplish with little effort, or error what life demands of us. It is both impossible and pointless to try to manipulate nothing. Rather nothing is the space within which reality is manipulated. What do you think
 
franc
 
Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:44 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
Energy and matter are essentially the same thing, so as far as we can tell we have never observed true nothingness. Even a vacuum has energy.
 
Fido
 
Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:58 pm
@franc,
franc wrote:
Energy and matter are essentially the same thing, so as far as we can tell we have never observed true nothingness. Even a vacuum has energy.

Isn't that last sentence easier said than proven? Clearly space, as we know, it is loaded with matter. I don't think it can be shown that if matter as we know it is excluded from a space, that ether, or neutrinos do not move in. The thing is, that neutrinos or ether have no energy as we think of energy. They do not move, and they do not carry a charge, and they cannot be made to move or to carry a charge. Since electro magnetic radiation can be transmitted through it, light, or radio waves, etc, it can transmite force, but not hold force. What do you think
 
krazy kaju
 
Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 11:02 am
@Holiday20310401,
Technically speaking, nothing cannot exist but anything can not exist.

Did that make any sense? :eek:
 
Fido
 
Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 04:53 am
@krazy kaju,
krazy kaju wrote:
Technically speaking, nothing cannot exist but anything can not exist.

Did that make any sense? :eek:

Nothing cannot possibly exist. Anything and everything does exist. Thing means res, from where we get re-s-ality. Thing equates to matter. Now, here is the deal. If you were to take a teaspoon of matter from some planet, and it weighed eight tons on this earth, wouldn't that seem as matter, and our earth as nothing? In fact, all that we know of, even in space, fits on a continuum of very dense, to very thin; and it is possible that all space from which matter, that we think of as matter is excluded from actually contains a lot of neutral matter that we usually do not consider as matter.
 
WhatIsEverything
 
Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:51 am
@Paradox1,
There is no existence to nothing. Basically people are describing nothing as air. but air is something. Even anti-matter IS something. Its not matter but it is something and not nothing. :listening:
 
AtheistDeity
 
Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 11:52 pm
@Paradox1,
Is something simply isn't , than no, it doesn't exist. A place were nothing exists could not possibly exist, because without existance there is nothing to make it a "place".
You could imagine this, but it would only your thought of this place that existed, and the thought of non-existance is indeed existance, therfore not actually non-existance but, theory.
If you imagine a place that does not exist you will never find, for it does not exist. Keep on imagining though ;D
 
Ennui phil
 
Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 09:23 pm
@Paradox1,
Paradox1 wrote:
Guys, this is one thing I've been thinking of for quite a while. Is there such thing as "Nothing"?

By nothing I don't mean "My coffee! It's gone! There's nothing left!", I mean .. Is there, somewhere, a place or location or whatever that is completely devoid of EVERYTHING, including the "building blocks" of life?

Give your ideas people.

Very Happy

It would be a dark void when you die.Death is nothing in the aftermath.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 08/03/2020 at 12:44:07