Why do you believe in god?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Why do you believe in god?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:49 pm
I'm not trying to start a war here between atheists and people who believe in god but why do you believe in god? I just want to know because maybe I'd learn something about how religion all started in the first place. When I was raised my family didn't believe in god but they are still nice people.:perplexed::listening::bigsmile:

Or am I trying to start a war.:shifty:

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:29 pm
@astrotheological,
All of mankind has spiritual needs. God is simply part of the language involved in some spiritual traditions.

Atheism, theism, whatever - these are not indicators of morality.

Khethil

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:58 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Atheism, theism, whatever - these are not indicators of morality.

*wild applause*

"Human decency was derived from religion, it preceeds it" - I forget :perplexed:

Zacrates

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:55 pm
@Khethil,
People probably believe in god as an explanation to how we were created and why we exist, people might also believe in god because it is what their families do and would want him to carry on believing in god.

astrotheological

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 04:39 pm
@Zacrates,
Just a thought but could the belief in god be a very powerful delusion. Although yes people who had there parents strong believers in god probably just follow there parents beliefs naturally.

Zacrates

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:18 pm
@astrotheological,
I don't think it would be a delusion in the sense that it was originally thought that god created this world because it was the only way people could explain it. So to the people who do believe in god it is not a false belief, to them it is true.

astrotheological

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:23 pm
@Zacrates,
Zacrates wrote:
I don't think it would be a delusion in the sense that it was originally thought that god created this world because it was the only way people could explain it. So to the people who do believe in god it is not a false belief, to them it is true.

They've proven that the earth was created scientifically not by god.
God is just a childish belief that apparently nobody in this forum believes.

Zacrates

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:30 pm
@astrotheological,
astrotheological;24498 wrote:

What I am trying to say is to people who believe in god that proof is irrational, and stupid.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:31 pm
@astrotheological,
Quote:

Just a thought but could the belief in god be a very powerful delusion. Although yes people who had there parents strong believers in god probably just follow there parents beliefs naturally.
Depends on how people believe in God. If some spiritual belief restrains an individual's ability to operate in society, then there is probably a problem.

But most belief in God does not cause delusions. Some ideologs say that belief in God is itself a delusion, but that is to descend into a back and forth about people's individual perspective of reality.

As for following parents, you would be surprised to learn how many atheists are the product of extremely religious upbringing.

Quote:
God is hardly a childish belief, though some people believe childish things about God. And, no, there are a few of us here who do have some sort of theistic belief.

Zacrates

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:36 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Most atheists who's parents are extremely religious are only atheist to piss them off.

astrotheological

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:37 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Well you could say that the belief in god does have some sort of impairment in society. For example people are going to church every sunday when really they don't have to. They are compelled to because there belief is so strong that if they don't they will believe that it is a sin to not go to church. Then they have to be forgiven in order to not go to hell. Now whether you consider not going to church a bad thing is up to you. I don't consider it a bad thing, I just think that it is not necessary. A delusion doesn't have to make the person unable to function in society. Although you would only treat a delusion if it did so.

Zacrates

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:41 pm
@astrotheological,
Some people in the Jewish religion take it so far that they start to make fun of and spit on non-jewish people if they get a chance. I find this very disgusting.

P.S.
If going to church is a sin, than i am going to hell.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:29 pm
@Zacrates,
There are many things we really do not have to do. Some people make silly statements about the need to go to church, but most go to church because they enjoy the community and find spiritual value in the ceremony of church.

If you are concerned about things we do which we do not need to do, I'd pay more attention to watching television, driving cars, using drugs - the sorts of things that cause harm to ourselves and others.

astrotheological

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:00 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
There are many things we really do not have to do. Some people make silly statements about the need to go to church, but most go to church because they enjoy the community and find spiritual value in the ceremony of church.

If you are concerned about things we do which we do not need to do, I'd pay more attention to watching television, driving cars, using drugs - the sorts of things that cause harm to ourselves and others.

I know that the belief of god bring goodnes to the world but I just can't stand all of the different types of religions out there. Like there is Islam, Judaism and Christianity for example. All three of those are battling it out arguing that there religion is the correct one. I just don't want to be there to witness a terrible war that could take place where one is victorious. Or that one will dominate over all of the others and that the whole world will be forced to this religion. Nobody should be forced to believe in something that they don't want to believe in. If they don't want to go to church every Sunday then they shouldn't have to.

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:11 pm
@astrotheological,
I think Judaism has been passive compared to the other two, but I could be wrong. I would choose a religion that isn`t conflicted by the `battle`you say.

Go Buddhism!

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:31 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Terrorism has been adopted as a tactic by Jewish nationalists. These violent groups in Islam and Judaism, and in Christianity, are minorities.

Also, not all religious people, including Jews, Christians and Muslims, think their faith is the only right faith. There is an amazing amount of religious tolerance to be found in these faith traditions.

I agree Holiday - Go Buddhism - and every other faith tradition.

iconoclast

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:47 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
religion is racism in a dress and pointy hat

sarathustrah

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:22 am
@iconoclast,
i believe in a creator because of opposable thumbs, the digestive system and the water cycle mainly... yup... thumbs, **** and clouds... thats all it took to make me see the undeniable need for some divine force... (in truth its the entire extreme balance of everything)

but i hate religion. its outdated government... though its intentions are good with the whole morals thing... its totally the wrong way to do it.... i could go on and on and on about the faults of religion...

though i believe intelligence and productive actions would make a better practice... sure gather every sunday morning... talk about appreciating life... do some meditating... but dont repeat the same stories every year, over and over... with the same lessons and threats of hell and eternal flames so you better be good!!!... and tellin everyone what to think about tv and video games and masterbation.... everyone should be involved... not half asleep to the dull organ music with the only thing keepin you awake being the uncomfortable pews and the smell of the old lady unaware of the invention of deodorant and soap

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:38 am
@sarathustrah,
Quote:
religion is racism in a dress and pointy hat

Only if you refuse to look at the unending examples of the reverse being true. But so much for history, right?

Zacrates

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 03:57 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Revrese? What exactle is a reverse?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Why do you believe in god?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:35:42