Free will illusion?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

boagie

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 03:54 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Stop be so certain...

Xris,Smile

Sure of what? You really are stretching my tolerence level xris!! If you really must deal with the paranormal then do it some place else, its not on topic!! Xris, start your own threads on the topics you wish to cover, I am sure there will be some takers.

AtheistDeity

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:19 am
@Holiday20310401,
I don't mean to simplify the subject, but I cannot say I could make a fair argument, without knowing exactly what you would say makes up a humans free will. Where do you think free will comes from?

boagie

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:31 am
@AtheistDeity,
AtheistDeity wrote:
I don't mean to simplify the subject, but I cannot say I could make a fair argument, without knowing exactly what you would say makes up a humans free will. Where do you think free will comes from?

AtheistDeity,Smile

That would be my point as well, the term is FREEwill, just what is it free of. Personally as I have stated, I do not believe such a creature exists. If freewill is to be defined as choice, then again I wish to know that magic number of choices which bestows freewill upon humanity and not the rest of the animal world. Again one does not have the ability not to react, there is no choice there, for even a considered non-reaction is still, a reaction to said environment. Reaction is determined by the environmental context, it is the way of all things. The world is a relational construct, and reaction is the basis of all relations, it is, apparent reality.

Khethil

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 02:40 pm
@boagie,
Another way I might put the whole free-will issue:

I have the free will to choose anything I like; any option I want. What I do choose; however, is a product of many variables and forces acting upon me and the other elements involved.

:BRB:

boagie

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 02:56 pm
@Khethil,
Khethhil,Smile

I would only take acception in your above post to the use of the world action, for it would not be action, it would be from your own discription reaction.

Khethil

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:23 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
I would only take acception in your above post to the use of the world action, for it would not be action, it would be from your own discription reaction.

Surely, it'd be "reaction". But just for the heck of it, is not a "reaction" a type of action?

boagie

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:46 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Surely, it'd be "reaction". But just for the heck of it, is not a "reaction" a type of action?

Khethil,Smile

I've been pondering something like that, but no, there is only reaction, there is something about presence which tells me in some instances at least, that presence is action, and it is constant, if we are considering the context we inhabit. So the physcial world shapes us both as individuals as well as species. The physical world is the dominient presence, and that presence is action, for lack of a better word. It is to this we must respond, it is to this, we like every other organism must react to, there is no such thing as action in the strict sense of the word. Perhaps this reality holds on a diminishing scale, do not bacteria react in response to the greater presence of a host body? Just a thought, still feeling my way here. Oh again, your above statement, action infers cause, where in fact the physcial world is cause, as something which triggers a reactionary response. The physcial world is our object, our reaction/experience of object is the said relation between subject and object, and thus it is apparent reality.

xris

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 07:11 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Xris,Smile

Sure of what? You really are stretching my tolerence level xris!! If you really must deal with the paranormal then do it some place else, its not on topic!! Xris, start your own threads on the topics you wish to cover, I am sure there will be some takers.
Stretching your free will to react in a preconceived manner is what i expected of you...your refusal to take the concept further than you have ever done before is annoying you?? how is that? is it your fault or mine? I'm not advocating the paranormal is proven but if you considered it, it might just put free will into the realms of a possibility...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:39:56