Hi!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 11:35 pm
Hi! I hope I make lots of new friends and increase my knowledge in the process. Any one willing to help?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 11:37 pm
@Protoman2050,
That's what we're here for. Welcome to the forum. Smile

Protoman2050

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 11:39 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Why can't I post elsewhere? Wait, let me try. Read my profile while you're at it.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:08 am
@Protoman2050,
Justin will be able to give you access to the rest of the forum.

I left high school after my junior year. The spring semester of the next year, what would have been my senior year, I applied for college as a home school student. Worked like a charm - gave them a list of books as my curriculum and they loved it. I still don't list my high school when I apply to schools - which is relatively often as I manage to move around.

College is great, and great fun. Careful, though - I managed to drink my way into failing two semesters. Common story, there. Not a mistake worth making.

Justin

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:47 am
@Protoman2050,
Welcome Protoman! Now that you've posted a thread in this forum, your account is automatically unlocked and you should be able to post most anywhere. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy the community.

boagie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:53 pm
@Justin,
Welcome Protoman,Smile

Settle in and make yourself at home, think about responding to some threads or statering on of particular interest to yourself. Glad to have you with us!! boagie

Protoman2050

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:17 pm
@boagie,
One of my first posts in on the philosophy of religion subforum. Read it! You'll probably find lots of entertaining mistakes!

Protoman2050

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 04:58 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Justin will be able to give you access to the rest of the forum.

I left high school after my junior year. The spring semester of the next year, what would have been my senior year, I applied for college as a home school student. Worked like a charm - gave them a list of books as my curriculum and they loved it. I still don't list my high school when I apply to schools - which is relatively often as I manage to move around.

College is great, and great fun. Careful, though - I managed to drink my way into failing two semesters. Common story, there. Not a mistake worth making.

Yeah, my homeschooling group wouldn't let me graduate b/c I completed the requirements in three years, not four. So I used the CHSPE exam to get out and into Cerritos College. Made lots of friends and currently have a 2.45 GPA --it's only been 7 weeks, and algebra 2 wasn't taught well--.

Do law schools like philosophers as applicants?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:09 pm
@Protoman2050,
Quote:
Yeah, my homeschooling group wouldn't let me graduate b/c I completed the requirements in three years, not four.

Oh, that's right - California requires you join some sort of home school group. In Arkansas I could be an independent home school student. That way, graduation was up to me - technically, the graduation was up to my parents, but in my case, they saw things my way.

Quote:
Made lots of friends and currently have a 2.45 GPA --it's only been 7 weeks, and algebra 2 wasn't taught well--.

Yeah, college is great. I had the worst College Algebra teacher; only two of us out of twenty completed the class - and I got a C.

Quote:
Do law schools like philosophers as applicants?

Oh, you bet. Philosophy is a great background for law school.

Protoman2050

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:19 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Oh, that's right - California requires you join some sort of home school group. In Arkansas I could be an independent home school student. That way, graduation was up to me - technically, the graduation was up to my parents, but in my case, they saw things my way.

Yeah, college is great. I had the worst College Algebra teacher; only two of us out of twenty completed the class - and I got a C.

Oh, you bet. Philosophy is a great background for law school.

Also, I was brain-drained after macroeconomics :-(

Should I focus on metaphysics, epistemology, or ethics while getting my baccalaureate?

Why do law schools like philosophers? What if I got a degree in philosophy and theology?

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:38 pm
@Protoman2050,
I would not really focus on any specific branch of philo for the undergrad--that is for grad school. The idea of the undergrad degree is to seek breadth when studying the arts.

Law schools like philosophers because they typically learn to read, write, argue, and critically think. All necessary to do well as a lawyer.

Why not just study religion from the perspective of philosophy and anthropology?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:40 pm
@Protoman2050,
Quote:
Should I focus on metaphysics, epistemology, or ethics while getting my baccalaureate?

Whatever interests you. Mostly, philosophy looks good because they expect students to be used to reading and understanding difficult material.

Protoman2050

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:42 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Whatever interests you. Mostly, philosophy looks good because they expect students to be used to reading and understanding difficult material.

I think epistemology, and possibly ethics then. Evidence law and jurisprudence often intermingle w/ epistemology and ethics.

Protoman2050

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:46 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
I would not really focus on any specific branch of philo for the undergrad--that is for grad school. The idea of the undergrad degree is to seek breadth when studying the arts.

Law schools like philosophers because they typically learn to read, write, argue, and critically think. All necessary to do well as a lawyer.

Why not just study religion from the perspective of philosophy and anthropology?

Anthropology's not really my thing...philosophy of religion and theology are more up my alley; I can spend hours reading the academic section of "House of Bibles", a Christian bookstore. Or go to B&N and read in the philosophy and Christianity sections; do you know they put the philosophy and law section right next to the LGBT section? Wonder why. That's just strange...

Have you and DT been enjoying our dialectic over on the philosophy of religion forum?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:06 pm
@Protoman2050,
Quote:
I think epistemology, and possibly ethics then. Evidence law and jurisprudence often intermingle w/ epistemology and ethics.

Sort of. You'll see some overlap, but they have little to do with the philosophical investigation of these topics. Law is closer to 'this is the way it is; just because; deal with it'.

Quote:
Have you and DT been enjoying our dialectic over on the philosophy of religion forum?

You bet.

Protoman2050

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:25 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
It'll still help though!

I think I need to learn a lot more about epistemology and ontology, b/c my Frankensteinian citing-out-of-context "argument" is getting murdered.

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:10 pm
@Protoman2050,
If you are interested in religion then you must at least take Anthropology of Religion otherwise you miss out on an important aspect of the study.

Protoman2050 wrote:
Anthropology's not really my thing...philosophy of religion and theology are more up my alley; I can spend hours reading the academic section of "House of Bibles", a Christian bookstore. Or go to B&N and read in the philosophy and Christianity sections; do you know they put the philosophy and law section right next to the LGBT section? Wonder why. That's just strange...

The last B&N I was in the philo section was next to the religion and current events/politics section. I don't think they have a set layout.

I have been enjoying the dialectic dialogue. Usually the religious people will not listen or appreciate what I may bring to a topic.

Protoman2050

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:42 pm
@Protoman2050,
Yeah, I'm not the hard-headed pit bull type. My beliefs in God are unquestionable to me, b/c that's the only way I can explain the universe's and my existence, as well as giving me hope, but I do enjoy the intellectual challenge of a civilized argument over a virtual beer --or, in my case, Coke--. Unlike some people I know.

[Begin rant]
My philosophy teacher is a bit strange; he accepts statements w/o independantly verifying them. Case in point: we were discussing Socrates, and we somehow got on the topic of Islam. Now, if you were to read to Qu'ran the way Mohammed intended it to be read, and did not use any mental and lingustic gymnastics, you would get an extremely violent impression. However, he immediately accepted a Muslim girl's statements about Islam being peaceful, w/o performing any verification at all. Um, I have read an exact translation of the Qu'ran, w/o parenthetical commentary or butchering-the-Arabic translation techniques, and it essentially says to kill the unbelieving, that the Bible --Torah, Gospels, and Epistles-- are not corrupt, etc. A holy book that says to overthrow the secular state and "kill the enemy where you find him" is not peaceful by any standard. Yet, when I talk about Christinity, he handwaves. Will he accept the statements of a witness and not try to verify his statement?

[Rant over]

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:50 pm
@Protoman2050,
Your philo professor is probably used to the typical Christian that will not listen to reason and common knowledge when it contradicts one's beliefs. Your philo teacher is probably not as familiar with Islam and as typical with philo teacher will not admit when one thinks to know what one does not.

Protoman2050

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:58 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Your philo professor is probably used to the typical Christian that will not listen to reason and common knowledge when it contradicts one's beliefs. Your philo teacher is probably not as familiar with Islam and as typical with philo teacher will not admit when one thinks to know what one does not.

I know. Can't wait to see his attempt when we get to Medieval philosophy. Another problem: he'll say that I see that you have a question, please wait. 90 minutes later, when he gets around, I've forgotten my question. And he'll digress a lot to irrelevancies, has time for anyone's questions but mine, and is adjunct, so no office hours. I seriously shoul've waited until Fall, and taken PHIL 100 w/ Stapp, she's highly recommended. This guy also teaches remedial high school, and has a PhD in, not philosophy, but clinical psychology. I've sent him a link to our other thread. Wonder what he'll say?

Compare and contrast me and the "typical Christian". What would a tag-line for each be?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:34:28