Why does there have to be a God?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

mishmish

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:27 pm
@Diogenes phil,
Depends on the perspective of your question. It also depends on your definition of what a God is. In relation to the physical world, (I'm not familiar of a philosophical term used to describe the physical realm - that what can be observed and investigated), GOD doesn't have to exist. Think about Darwinism, the theory works without a need for GOD. Although from a cultural perspective, the existence of GOD in religion, for example, is required. Therefore, for faith to work, in a modern religious sense, religion requires an icon which represents the creation of life, ie. GOD. Thus in some perspectives you need GOD and in others, where laws or theories apply, then GOD has to exist.

Hypothetically, what if someone proved that there is no such thing as GOD - would you be content knowing that life is just a cycle of reproducing, eating, other things in between and finally, dying?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:56 pm
@mishmish,
mishmish;161074 wrote:

Hypothetically, what if someone proved that there is no such thing as GOD - would you be content knowing that life is just a cycle of reproducing, eating, other things in between and finally, dying?

Why, in heaven's name, would you think that would follow from not believing in God? You think that every atheist leads the kind of empty life you have just described?

trismegisto

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 10:46 pm
@mishmish,
mishmish;161074 wrote:
(I'm not familiar of a philosophical term used to describe the physical realm - that what can be observed and investigated)

Universe is the most common in English

mishmish;161074 wrote:
Think about Darwinism, the theory works without a need for GOD

I know the title is "on the Origin of Species" but he never actually deals with the origin of species, he merely discusses how already existent species evolves. That's the only reason why there is no need for god, he side steps the issue altogether.

mishmish;161074 wrote:
Although from a cultural perspective, the existence of GOD in religion, for example, is required. Therefore, for faith to work, in a modern religious sense, religion requires an icon which represents the creation of life, ie. GOD

If one knows God exists, what is the purpose of faith?

Zetherin

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:27 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;161013 wrote:
Well I am trying to be cute, but not only with you. The question is, am I succeeding? But I have a non-cute point as well: For is it not true that if there were nothing, then nothing would then exist, and so would be something. So there would be something were nothing to exist. For how could nothing (or anything else) exist, and not be nothing? Impossible, I daresay. And, if you don't believe me, then read:

Nothing, by P. L. Heath

But nothing is not something, and so it cannot exist. "Nothing would then exist" is sort of a tongue-in-cheek remark, and the word "nothing" here most assuredly shouldn't be referring to something. If the writer did intend that, then said person would be confusing themselves.

Fido

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 08:06 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;161085 wrote:
Why, in heaven's name, would you think that would follow from not believing in God? You think that every atheist leads the kind of empty life you have just described?

It is not God that gives life meaning, but life that gives God meaning..

mishmish

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 11:55 am
@trismegisto,
kennethamy;161085 wrote:

Not believing in a God (atheism) and knowing that GOD does not exist (which would require proof) are two very different things. In the hypothetical I suggested that GOD does not to exist.

I do not think anyone lives an empty life. Life is what you make it, empty or not, that's up to how your perception works. The reality is that you've been born and someday you will die in the physical world; this cycle is a fact. We can fulfill our lives on an emotional level by doing the things we want to do, without the need for believing in GOD.

trismegisto;161114 wrote:
If one knows God exists, what is the purpose of faith?

The purpose of faith is to give people confidence that there is a greater purpose to life than a cycle of birth and death.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 12:26 pm
@Diogenes phil,
Mishmish,

But you must see that when you stated this:

Quote:

It did sound as if you were criticizing the atheist's life. Just because one does not believe in god, does not mean said person believes life is "just a cycle of reproducing, eating, other things in between and finally, dying". What kind of nihilistic viewpoint is that? Man, that sort of mindset would make life not worth living.

mishmish

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 01:27 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;161296 wrote:
It did sound as if you were criticizing the atheist's life. Just because one does not believe in god, does not mean said person believes life is "just a cycle of reproducing, eating, other things in between and finally, dying". What kind of nihilistic viewpoint is that? Man, that sort of mindset would make life not worth living.

I understand if your critiquing my writing, it can be interpreted differently to everyone, personally I am not criticizing anyone's way of life or beliefs. Nor was my original question related or directed to Atheism. To demonstrate a point of view, and ask a specific question, I had to phrase my words the way I did, with no intention to offend.

In the physical world, life is "just a cycle of reproducing, eating, other things in between and finally, dying". The other "things in between" include culture, values, kindness and so many other elements. People can be happy knowing the cycle of life in the physical world, while not believing in a God. It's simple, yet we make it complicated - just like all the answers to the OP - but that is what philosophy is.

longfun

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 02:17 pm
@Diogenes phil,
this god question can be mathematicly solved by adding the empty set to the whole. This solution is so simple and only exclution can refute it, that if you would have claimed this in the middle ages, you would have lost your head. But just a little warning, it will remove power of any defined god. And the undefined god will be empty.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:05:12