Are our cognitive faculties reliable?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

wayne

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 01:15 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;153121 wrote:
From my courses in computer-science I remember one thing very clearly: garbage in, garbage out my professor used to say. I think this also is valid for humans. The cognitive faculties might work fine, but if information is corrupted there is little change of a good out-put.

On the other hand I think our cognitive faculties can manage pretty well in general. Even in really new circumstances they seem to cope. On top of that we have intuition to support our thinking if facts are not sufficient. Next to ratio I mean.

This reminds me of a case study I read about cognitive faculties. Our cognitions require training from the time we are born , I would think that their reliability is somewhat relative to how they were trained.
Being trained in the dark would make my vision unreliable in the light.
If you moved me to a place where cars sounded like telephones I would probably get run over.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 01:31 am
@wayne,
wayne;153126 wrote:
This reminds me of a case study I read about cognitive faculties. Our cognitions require training from the time we are born , I would think that their reliability is somewhat relative to how they were trained.
Being trained in the dark would make my vision unreliable in the light.
If you moved me to a place where cars sounded like telephones I would probably get run over.

[CENTER]:bigsmile:
Try crossing a street in England where all traffic is on the wrong side of the street. I feel terrible to say so, but I can't really adjust to it this week. I have been nearly run over a few times, more the in a whole year in my home town.
:lol:Pepijn from UK
[/CENTER]

wayne

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 01:35 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;153130 wrote:
[CENTER]:bigsmile:

Try crossing a street in England where all traffic is on the wrong side of the street. I feel terrible to say so, but I can't really adjust to it this week. I have been nearly run over a few times, more the in a whole year in my home town.
:lol:Pepijn from UK[/CENTER]

Your faculties are unreliable in England Smile

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:22:18