Are our cognitive faculties reliable?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:00 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;142595 wrote:
(unfortunaly truth may be he's a guy in his 40'ies)

As I said, you have no idea what you are talking about. For you could not, since you have no information. You simply pour out ad hominems that have nothing to do with the issue. You are missing a fine opportunity to be silent.

HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:01 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;142599 wrote:
As I said, you have no idea what you are talking about. For you could not, since you have no information. You simply pour out ad hominems that have nothing to do with the issue. You are missing a fine opportunity to be silent.
I will, just had to vent some fustration.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:04 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;142600 wrote:
I will, just had to vent some fustration.

Why? And frustration about what?

wayne

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:04 am
@kennethamy,
Kenneth, I'll eat a word or two, it seems my perceptions weren't so unreliable in your case. LOL

HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:06 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;142602 wrote:
Why? And frustration about what?
Just the general idea about useage of empty rethoric which provoked my fustrations.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:09 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;142605 wrote:
Just the general idea about useage of empty rethoric which provoked my fustrations.

Well, there wasn't any of that, so you should not let just the idea of something produce frustration as long as the actual thing does not happen.

HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:11 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;142607 wrote:
Well, there wasn't any of that, so you should not let just the idea of something produce frustration as long as the actual thing does not happen.
It appears you don't really think you understand what I'm saying. If you do you do not for me produce any satisfying reply.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:15 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;142609 wrote:
It appears you don't really think you understand what I'm saying. If you do you do not for me produce any satisfying reply.

No, I just don't understand why you are saying what you are saying. There seems to be no good reason for it.

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;142511 wrote:
According to a post on a different forum:

Our cognitive facilities are rather notoriously NOT reliable.

Is that true? It sounds false to me.

Maybe it is his or her cognitive facilities that are not reliable that has led him or her to that conclusion. And it would appear that yours are not as reliable as you had thought:

kennethamy;142545 wrote:
Actually, I thought that the poster was one of the few reliable posters on that board. ...

But, seriously, it most likely is that the person meant that people are prone to sometimes make mistakes, and do not have a perfect record of accuracy. That is then often confused with something being totally undependable when it is only not perfectly dependable.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:44 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;142614 wrote:
Maybe it is his or her cognitive facilities that are not reliable that has led him or her to that conclusion. And it would appear that yours are not as reliable as you had thought:
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

But, seriously, isomething being totally undependable when it is only not perfectly dependable.

:bigsmile: Dear mr. Kenn,

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:54 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;142511 wrote:
According to a post on a different forum:

Our cognitive facilities are rather notoriously NOT reliable.

Is that true? It sounds false to me.

We're products of natural selection. Having our beliefs track reality is an advantage. However, their domain of applicability is limited. We expect big solid objects to behave like big solid objects. Even an infant is amazed when a single ball is put behind a screen and two balls come out the other side. We are wired for normal everyday activities. There's no reason to think natural selection would provide us anything more than that. Some scientific questions are so far removed from our world that our common sense way of thinking probably hurts us as much as it helps us in those cases.

Jebediah

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:05 am
@kennethamy,
Whether something is reliable depends on the situation. So the context would indeed be needed.

My faculties are reliable when doing algebra and arithmetic, but I suspect I could no longer rely on them for doing differential equations. I can rely on my vision if I wish to read the text on this computer screen, but I couldn't if I was standing 10 feet away.

Presumably there are certain areas where people are notoriously unreliable.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:05 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;142621 wrote:
We're products of natural selection. Having our beliefs track reality is an advantage. However, their domain of applicability is limited. We expect big solid objects to behave like big solid objects. Even an infant is amazed when a single ball is put behind a screen and two balls come out the other side. We are wired for normal everyday activities. There's no reason to think natural selection would provide us anything more than that. Some scientific questions are so far removed from our world that our common sense way of thinking probably hurts us as much as it helps us in those cases.

So, what is your conclusion? That we can trust our faculties in some areas, but not in some others, because they are reliable in some, but not others? Isn't it true, though, that even in the esoteric areas, we ultimately rely on our cognitive faculties, although our inferences from them are not common-sensible? What else is there?

Jebediah

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:11 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;142624 wrote:
So, what is your conclusion? That we can trust our faculties in some areas, but not in some others, because they are reliable in some, but not others? Isn't it true, though, that even in the esoteric areas, we ultimately rely on our cognitive faculties, although our inferences from them are not common-sensible? What else is there?

But we don't rely on other peoples cognitive faculties in certain areas. For example, eye witness testimony is sometimes discredited, yes?

And sometimes people just make no decision at all, which isn't really relying on their cognitive faculties.

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:14 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;142624 wrote:
Isn't it true, though, that even in the esoteric areas, we ultimately rely on our cognitive faculties, although our inferences from them are not common-sensible?

Whether or not we rely on something doesn't tell us if it's reliable. You can rely on the homeless crack addict to watch your house while you're away but that doesn't make him reliable. Does it?

What exactly do you mean by reliable?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:15 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;142628 wrote:
But we don't rely on other peoples cognitive faculties in certain areas. For example, eye witness testimony is sometimes discredited, yes?

And sometimes people just make no decision at all, which isn't really relying on their cognitive faculties.

Sometimes there are reasons not to rely on others, and when we rely at all on anything, we do rely on our cognitive faculties.

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:30 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;142632 wrote:
Sometimes there are reasons not to rely on others, and when we rely at all on anything, we do rely on our cognitive faculties. [emphasis added]

Yes. I think people do not think about that fact enough. Whenever people are arguing in favor of absolute skepticism, for example, they are relying on their reasoning abilities. And if their conclusion is right, that they cannot rely on their reasoning abilities, then their argument cannot be relied upon at all, and consequently they have no reason to believe it.

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:38 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;142635 wrote:
Yes. I think people do not think about that fact enough. Whenever people are arguing in favor of absolute skepticism, for example, they are relying on their reasoning abilities. And if their conclusion is right, that they cannot rely on their reasoning abilities, then their argument cannot be relied upon at all, and consequently they have no reason to believe it.

Who has ever argued for absolute skepticism? I've never met anyone skeptical of 2+2=4. They are usually skeptical of things like not being a brain in a vat. If they were skeptical of 2+2=4 then your argument would have weight. As it stands, one can be skeptical about knowledge of the world while not being skeptical about one's reasoning abilities.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:39 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;142632 wrote:
Sometimes there are reasons not to rely on others, and when we rely at all on anything, we do rely on our cognitive faculties.

[CENTER]:bigsmile:
I also react to my gut-feelings, my in-tuition. I decide in a rational way, but let go of societies conventions. Old Histories learn imported lessons, but are worth studying, like languages and cultures of the people of the Earth.

Often you do not have to decide. Yust say you do not know & have no Time to think a'bout it. You're Busy with Self...
I admire any person able to formulate his thoughts. I take it as a Challenge to type Englo but long 4 my own Dialect.

Radio North-Holland; traffic, birthdays
Weather 3oC differnece over 8 kilometer is mucho
(no height diff., same vegatation & ground)
small Villages

Have to check; KR Pepijn Sweep:shifty:

Conclusion: my cognito is fallible
Dubio:detective: ergo Sum
[/CENTER]

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:49 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;142621 wrote:
We're products of natural selection. Some scientific questions are so far removed from our world that our common sense way of thinking probably hurts us as much as it helps us in those cases.

[CENTER]:bigsmile:
Natural selection is a empty statement when the parmeters are un-known (what's natural) & what we aim at. For a millenium or so the Spanish Royals had an gene-Exchange with their Austrian cousins, mixing in secundary French Old Royalty. They created midgets !

Intellect might not be the most desired quality any-more, soon. In a crowded World Compassion & Empathywill grew more necessary. Think of all conflicts we drag on, Approaching everything rational is not most effective.

Pepijn Sweep
^&^
[/CENTER]

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:47:54