Open-mindedness

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

manored

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 12:28 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;84745 wrote:
Ideally everyone would question everything honestly and see what is left after their questioning. They would constantly re-evaluate and try to understand what is around them. They would get used to the fear of uncertainty and embrace uncertainty but still act decisively and with certainty when it is needed.

Uncertainty is needed for evaluation, certainty is needed in a pinch.

True. The tricky part is that if you question everthing, there isnt really anything usefull that will survive, so you have to question everthing and then gradually start blindly accepting things to get somewhere =)

kennethamy

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 01:29 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;84745 wrote:
Ideally everyone would question everything honestly and see what is left after their questioning. They would constantly re-evaluate and try to understand what is around them. They would get used to the fear of uncertainty and embrace uncertainty but still act decisively and with certainty when it is needed.

Uncertainty is needed for evaluation, certainty is needed in a pinch.

The problem lies not in questioning everything, but in questioning everything at once, since you cannot question something unless you assume some things are true, provisionally. If I question whether there is a tree in front of me, because I might be dreaming, then I am assuming, for the time being, that I am dreaming. Of course, only for the time being. I can question whether I am dreaming, since there is a tree in front of me, and if there is a tree in front of me, I am not dreaming.

manored

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 10:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;84755 wrote:
The problem lies not in questioning everything, but in questioning everything at once, since you cannot question something unless you assume some things are true, provisionally. If I question whether there is a tree in front of me, because I might be dreaming, then I am assuming, for the time being, that I am dreaming. Of course, only for the time being. I can question whether I am dreaming, since there is a tree in front of me, and if there is a tree in front of me, I am not dreaming.
But, then, what to question first? =)

kennethamy

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 10:55 am
@manored,
manored;84952 wrote:
But, then, what to question first? =)

Obviously, what is called for in the context. In geometry either the theorems, or the axioms, depending on what you happen to be doubting. But not both at once.

bait bludgeon

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:55 am
@Zetetic11235,
There is something else that seems to be obvious in this video, and screams out to me with each example and that is to look out for fallacious arguments. I usually dont mind if people believe in the supernatural but if that person digresses with me they better have some pretty good arguments to back their beliefs up. Sadly, this is almost never the case because people usually take things at face value without question (I myself have fallen prey to this as well so im not exempt from the rest).
Another problem with people and open mindedness; they dont think! Ach! Its horrific! It makes me cringe and seethe with all sorts of things that should not be seethed. Misology definetly runs rampant and its quite depressing. Sad

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:21 am
@odenskrigare,
is it too much to ask for to demand evidence when people base major life decisions on invisible pink elf poop

is it really too much?

Krumple

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:43 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;89237 wrote:
is it too much to ask for to demand evidence when people base major life decisions on invisible pink elf poop

is it really too much?

Yes because some like the coziness of the invisible pink elf poop.

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 03:33 pm
@odenskrigare,

is it really too much?

It depends. Is the elf poop pink, or is it the poop of a pink elf which is invisible?

Come to think of it, how can it be known that the elf, or the elf's poop, is indeed pink if one, the other, or both are invisible?

Perhaps we need a thought experiment.

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 04:11 pm
@odenskrigare,
Jebus told me the elves have green skin, but their poop is pink

jgweed

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 07:09 am
@odenskrigare,
Even though their poop is pink, chartreuse is in there pitching.

manored

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:47 pm
@odenskrigare,

is it really too much?
Aparently yes =)

Elves are normal colored, long eared and dont poo, everone knows that.

odenskrigare

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:57 pm
@odenskrigare,
what's "normal colored"

are you saying you don't like black people

manored

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:16 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;89439 wrote:
what's "normal colored"

are you saying you don't like black people
Err, who said I was refering to white then I said "normal colored"? You are the one leaning towards racism here =)

Normal colored means they arent blue or pink or green on anything.

odenskrigare

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:19 pm
@odenskrigare,
I was just jerking your chain

manored

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:22 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;89444 wrote:
I was just jerking your chain
I know, and I am jerking your chain of jerkness.

odenskrigare

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:24 pm
@odenskrigare,
oh shi

oh no u didn't

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:30 pm
@odenskrigare,
Now now boys. Don't make me send you to your rooms.

manored

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:36 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;89447 wrote:
Now now boys. Don't make me send you to your rooms.
But, but, he jerked first! =)

But, ya, enough of off-topic chitchat about... invisible pink elf poo and chain jerking? Something wrong here =)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 03:54:03