The Nature of Belief

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 10:46 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Yes, completely.

If one is honest with themselves then there are already within their minds the belief (or lack thereof). I personally find it categorically absurd that someone can "choose" to believe. They may give in to the allure of a notion, but that is distinctly different.

I suggest that discovering what is already in ones' mind and heart (what knowledge, what need for belief) is absolutely paramount to really *knowing* oneself. Taking this step; critically and without ego, is - I think - a necessary first step in understanding ones own theology.

I've never known such peace as I have since I've taken my own journey (through all the means at my disposal). It was at times embarassing, at others pure elation. What I didn't expect was its outcome: That the distinction between belief and knowledge - that understanding - coupled with my own emotions and desires helped me to be OK with admitting the "truth" of what I always deep inside "knew". What I may learn, or how I may feel tomorrow may change my conclusions; and I have to allow that to happen. But for now, I know where I stand - that combination of my acknowledged feelings and facts.

Anyone in possession of a mind and heart owes it to themselves to "discover" the truth of their own orientation. Nothing lies so close to our perception of our world, and all its implications, as consciously being in sync with ones' own honest result. Clearly delineating between belief and knowledge, between emotion and intellect, then giving each its proper place of importance (wherever that might be for you) is, I think, the key.

Thanks
My knowledge and your knowledge could be completely different ,i cant convince you of my knowledge no more than you can disprove it to me..so whats knowledge? science? todays stupidity could be tomorrows revelation..

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 10:59 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
My knowledge and your knowledge could be completely different ,i cant convince you of my knowledge no more than you can disprove it to me..so whats knowledge? science? todays stupidity could be tomorrows revelation..

If we accept common definitions and methods of observation and reason, then one should have no problem convincing the other.

Justification is wrapped up in the definition of knowledge, so one must justify it to him or herself to count some idea as knowledge. If that is the case then one should be able to offer justification of the knowledge to another.

Solace

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:10 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
A demonstration, if I might.

[INDENT]I believe..............................I know
[/INDENT][INDENT]The Universe began with the Big Bang:
[/INDENT][INDENT]|------------------------------X------------|

Downstairs, the dishes are dirty:
|----------------------------------------X--|

The Christian God is real:
|-------------------------------------------|

I won $14 in the lottery yesterday, I'll win again in the next year:
|---X---------------------------------------|

There exists some god, as a single entity, that's responsible for all creation:
|-------------------------------------------|

Justin looks over the posts every day:
|--------------------------X----------------|

Adhering to the principle of any god results in a de-valuing of this life (yours and others):
|------------------X------------------------|

Justin looks over the posts on the forum often:
|----------------------------------------X--|

I will finish Chaucer's "Troilus and Cressida"
|--------------------------------X----------|
[/INDENT]Perhaps I should have posted this thread in "Epistemology". Although (as I've said before) I think this to have large implications for theology, it's probably more rightful the nature of knowledge.

Thanks

Sorry for being ignorant, but I honestly fail to see what you're getting at here Khethil. You left all the statements concerning God without an X on the bar. (Perhaps because you're atheist thus you claim neither belief nor knowledge of God.) I'd put them all on the far left and leave it there. (Well, at least that's what I'd do with a statement that actually fit me, but my point is, as it always has been, that any statement one would claim about God should always go on the far left, the belief side.) I don't know anything when it comes to God, and I don't claim to. I do have plenty of beliefs though.

What worries me here, (for all that, as I said, I oppose free will,) is that it seems to me that you're suggesting that because beliefs are not chosen that they cannot be rationalized. Which, to me, would be cause for the rational thinker to automatically dismiss anyone's belief. Maybe I'm misinterpreting all of this, I don't know. But it seems like a rather narrow approach, to dismiss out of hand any beliefs because they do not conform to our rationale. (eyes boagie...:shifty:)

xris

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:12 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
If we accept common definitions and methods of observation and reason, then one should have no problem convincing the other.

Justification is wrapped up in the definition of knowledge, so one must justify it to him or herself to count some idea as knowledge. If that is the case then one should be able to offer justification of the knowledge to another.
I dont agree self knowledge outweighs any thing you care to try and prove..or disprove..When there are so many unknowns in the world who really can say they know..There are certain examples that would be stupid to disagree with but on this forum we have debaters that would deny any creator but would accept the notion that the universe does not exist except in their subjective existance...whose the jelly in the bag of toffees..

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 01:17 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
I dont agree self knowledge outweighs any thing you care to try and prove..or disprove..When there are so many unknowns in the world who really can say they know..There are certain examples that would be stupid to disagree with but on this forum we have debaters that would deny any creator but would accept the notion that the universe does not exist except in their subjective existance...whose the jelly in the bag of toffees..

Is the existence of human understanding and communication one of those examples that would be stupid to disagree about?

xris

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 01:26 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Is the existence of human understanding and communication one of those examples that would be stupid to disagree about?
human understanding is far too personal and communicating is on different levels...but it exists..

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 01:44 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
human understanding is far too personal and communicating is on different levels...but it exists..

So you think that different people have different modes of reason and perception?

I agree that we cannot prove that everyone reasons and perceives in the same way, but the beautiful thing about communication is the attachment of arbitrary symbols. We may perceive red differently, but we both attach the same symbol to what we perceive.

Through the arbitrary symbols of language, we avoid any difficulties differing consciousness may cause in communication.

xris

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 02:22 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
So you think that different people have different modes of reason and perception?

I agree that we cannot prove that everyone reasons and perceives in the same way, but the beautiful thing about communication is the attachment of arbitrary symbols. We may perceive red differently, but we both attach the same symbol to what we perceive.

Through the arbitrary symbols of language, we avoid any difficulties differing consciousness may cause in communication.
You digress from my reasoning on belief and knowledge...knowledge can be personal not generally accepted by the Masses...i could communicate my knowledge to you but you could disbelieve me because it is personal to me but it is still relevant and true to me even if the whole world does not accept my witness..Knowing water is wet is stupid to dispute but it is just as stupid to expect me to deny my personal knowledge..i cant deny what i believe to be true..You walk home one night and ghost appears and gives you advice on not taking your normal route home ..now you could be worried you are loosing your marbles...the next day you find out a brick wall had fallen down and if you had continued on your journey you could possible be dead..What relevance is that knowledge to you? then what about anyone you tell ,what is that knowledge to them? Its an illusion ,your off your rocker..but to you what does that knowledge mean?

Khethil

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 02:29 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Sorry for being ignorant, but I honestly fail to see what you're getting at here Khethil.

It's just a model for understanding the relationship between the two. It's implications for Religious Belief I think to be rather obvious; a critical evaluation of what we Believe, a way of dissecting the nature of belief from person to person, where ones perceptions of "validity" are. Dang... I really hope this makes sense.

Solace wrote:
You left all the statements concerning God without an X on the bar. (Perhaps because you're atheist thus you claim neither belief nor knowledge of God.)

Yea I suppose I should have explained that. What you've stated in the parenthesis is completely true regarding my orientation.

Solace wrote:
What worries me here, (for all that, as I said, I oppose free will,) is that it seems to me that you're suggesting that because beliefs are not chosen that they cannot be rationalized.

No, haven't really addressed that at all. I've no doubt that a good number of claims - those falling more on the "Belief" side - might have a good bit of rationale behind them. But the way this works best (imho) is that the more rationale any claim has behind it (read: support), the more one would necessarily place it towards the "knowledge" side. How far Right "rationale" might take us would depend on how "valid" one perceives rational support (as opposed to other forms of support, like the empirical).

Solace wrote:
Which, to me, would be cause for the rational thinker to automatically dismiss anyone's belief.

Yea, assuming that whomever's evaluating another person's justification puts no stock or worth in Belief (as a desire or need). And I'll admit this was the case for me in evaluating my own theology.

But we have to be careful: Placing a value judgment on another's subjectively-evaluated basis for determining worth of a conclusion presupposes much. I, personally, realized that what I wanted to believe and what I found I really did believe were very different. And yes, I believe theism to be very roughly-irrational (for what I think I know), but this not to say I see it as being bereft of reason or worth. It's because of this subjective-evaluation factor that I like to question theists about why they believe what they believe - and also the reason I applaud those theists who make no claim to any higher-knowledge.

Solace wrote:
Maybe I'm misinterpreting all of this, I don't know. But it seems like a rather narrow approach, to dismiss out of hand any beliefs because they do not conform to our rationale.

Your point's well taken and I'm sure you're right. But we do this anyway, don't we? All of us? We judge other belief systems as they apply to us and dismiss them if they don't fit our own weighted criteria. This is natural and hardly blamable, I'd think.

I think the best I can do - for the way I perceive the issue - is to try and understand the motivations behind why people adhere to what I think is irrational. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again - and at my age I'm getting *very* good at it.

Thanks for your reply

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 02:35 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
You digress from my reasoning on belief and knowledge...knowledge can be personal not generally accepted by the Masses...i could communicate my knowledge to you but you could disbelieve me because it is personal to me but it is still relevant and true to me even if the whole world does not accept my witness..Knowing water is wet is stupid to dispute but it is just as stupid to expect me to deny my personal knowledge..i cant deny what i believe to be true..You walk home one night and ghost appears and gives you advice on not taking your normal route home ..now you could be worried you are loosing your marbles...the next day you find out a brick wall had fallen down and if you had continued on your journey you could possible be dead..What relevance is that knowledge to you? then what about anyone you tell ,what is that knowledge to them? Its an illusion ,your off your rocker..but to you what does that knowledge mean?

Of course. My agnosticism is informed by the very same thoughts. It seemed you were denying the whole of knowledge, not just subjective.

xris

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 02:58 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Of course. My agnosticism is informed by the very same thoughts. It seemed you were denying the whole of knowledge, not just subjective.
Im not denying knowledge any knowledge just the opposite...but if general knowledge opposes personal knowledge the individual has the right to say their knowledge is right..you cant deny it..It was the supposition that knowledge and belief was something different in all cases.personal knowledge can lead to belief by rational means..

Solace

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 06:13 pm
@xris,
I think this topic needs a little more looking in to. We touched on the premise, that one does not choose one's beliefs, in another thread, where Khethil kindly provided a link back to here. After reading the thread over, I realize that, although the discussion was very interesting, not a lot was actually said about the question of choice and belief.

So, can someone choose what they believe? And, if Khethil would indulge my diversion (perhaps this might spark some additional feedback,) if belief is not made by choice, then aren't theists/religious folk left with an uncomfortable question about free will and salvation... and all the other stuff that goes with that. (Such as, if we cannot choose what we believe, then isn't the idea of Heaven and Hell, eternal reward or punishment, a bit, well, unfair?)

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 06:33 pm
@Solace,
Of course we can decide what to believe and what not to believe: how else would a theist become an atheist or an atheist a theist. Not to say that environment is irrelevant to the question, as experience is central, but the decision is still our own.

Solace

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 07:01 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I think that the issue here is with credibility. What is credible to one person is not necessarily credible to another. So, if someone finds something, anything, to be credible, likely they will believe it. Likewise, if they find it to be incredible, likely they will not believe it.

So, in the case of scripture, religion, God, whatever else, can someone choose to believe if they honestly find it to be incredible? Is the atheist to blame because what he hears is simply so far-fetched to his ears that he cannot find it credible? Likewise is there any credit to the theist because he does find it all to be credible, and thus believable?

Let me give you an example; say a friend of yours, someone you know very well, comes into your house and tells you that he just saw a famous person down the street. Do you choose whether or not to believe him, or does it just happen? If you know your friend to be a teller of tall-tales, or a practical jokester, you would be less inclined to believe him. If you live on a street in Hollywood, though, you might be inclined to believe him despite his poor reputation. If you live in an out of the way country town that has never to your knowledge been visited by anyone famous, you would almost assuredly think his claim a hoax. In such a case, can you, honestly and truthfully, choose to believe him? Or would you be deceiving him and/or yourself to make such a claim of belief?

I think that belief is far less in our own conscious control than most of us are willing to admit.

ILYAS TOXANBAYEV

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 01:42 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;31781 wrote:
Good Morning, does everyone have their coffee yet?

I'd like to present a concept and my view of it for discussion. It has to do with Belief; specifically that flavor of belief that holds to concepts of god - whatever concept you might have.

Basis: An attempt at an honest, critically-thought evaluation of how one arrives at a conclusion.

Question: Is theological belief voluntary? Concurrently; is any 'belief' voluntary?

Clarifications:[INDENT]1. Belief, in this context, I'd describe as holding or subscribing to a notion without sufficient backup to claim as "knowledge". This is a working definition of the concept, verbalized here for the purposes of our discussion.
[/INDENT][INDENT]2. Knowledge, in this context, I'd like to define here as some fact or aspect that one can practically know. This is a vastly-divergent concept that, itself, isn't rock-solid (and indeed could be completely obliterated without much effort). But for the purpose of this thread, I'd like to define this as practical information for which enough agreement exists - between us fine thinkers - to accept as 'true' (insofar as we're able). Let's all stand 'round a table, touch it, bang on it, all agree that it's black - this is how I'd like to work with the term "knowledge" in this context.
[/INDENT]Claims:[INDENT] 1. Belief isn't voluntary; belief is a conclusion - drawn by the mind - about a condition or existence where some need or desire is so strong, that the lack of facts is ignored.
[/INDENT][INDENT] 2. Belief and Knowledge are two opposite points on a scale. Draw a straight line; at the far left put the word "belief", at the far right put the word "knowledge". You're next going to place a dot on that line that represents where in this scale your claim belongs. Next, consider what evidence and rational support you have for your postulation. The more you have, the further on that line - towards the left - you're going to place your dot. Where your dot ends up sitting, on this line, will determine how much quantifiable support exists (in your considered estimation).
[/INDENT][INDENT] 3. Whether or not you end up standing proudly and proclaiming, "I believe" or "I know" will depend on where that 'dot' (from claim 2) exists. An important point here is that where the breakpoint is; that point where belief has enough support to be subjectively called "knowledge" is different for every person.
[/INDENT]My Conclusion:[INDENT]One cannot "choose" to believe in something. Either the need/desire to believe exists or it does not. To try and consciously buy-in to a theological belief is to deceive oneself; it is disingenuous and self-deluding.
[/INDENT]This is how I see it. That belief arises in the individual based on a desire or hope. If this is true, then it stands to no reason that one could "force a fit". I'm very curious how valid or invalid others see this view.

Thanks in advance Smile

I agree, belief and knowledge different things. For example the belief in God, it when the individual really sees God and communicates with God. Super individuals can do it only.

The belief has 4 conditions:
1. To trust orally, in words
2. To trust reason, as mind to consider, for example, that there is God, it is knowledge.
3. To trust heart when soul, the reason and heart are uniform also the individual is united with the heart. Vision of God.
4. To trust in writing. To express the belief in writing.

Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 05:50 pm
@ILYAS TOXANBAYEV,
I have to admit that I have not been able to follow the argument in this thread, so please give me a kick in the butt if I have overlooked the obvious.

The issues seem to revolve around the definitions of "belief," "knowledge," and "God."

1. Khethil's proposition is that "belief" reflects a low level of logical assurance in a given proposition, while "knowledge" reflects a high level of assurance. While I agree that we typically use the term "know" to indicate we have a high level of assurance, I don't think we necessarily use the term "believe" to indicate a low level. Sometimes when we say we believe something, we mean that we accept it as an indisputable fact. I do concede that a "religious belief" is commonly considered to be not supported by demonstrable facts. However, that does not necessarily make it illogical or irrational. For example, how about the religious belief, "We can make the world a better place if we love our fellow human beings." I think most of us would agree that such a statement cannot be proven to be true, and yet, it is certainly possible to argue rationally for its validity.

Additionally, "believing" may be more primary than "knowing." I have explained under the epistomology heading that, so far as I can tell, I always have to believe in something (have trust in, have faith in) before I can claim to know something.

2. If we try to apply this to theology, we immediately run into a huge problem. We have to agree on a definition of "God," before we can argue about "God's" existence. When someone says, "I don't believe in God" I would be inclined to say, "I probably don't believe in the same God you don't believe in." Certain (I would argue false) images of God have been so widely perpetuated by professing Christians in our culture, it's no wonder at all that many of us have become atheists.

So, again, I apologize if I have overlooked some conclusions that have been reached in this inquiry, but I am still unclear as to whether the participants have come to any conclusions about the basic notions of "belief," "knowledge," and "God."

If not, I will try to keep up from here on out!

xris

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:15 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
I have to admit that I have not been able to follow the argument in this thread, so please give me a kick in the butt if I have overlooked the obvious.

The issues seem to revolve around the definitions of "belief," "knowledge," and "God."

1. Khethil's proposition is that "belief" reflects a low level of logical assurance in a given proposition, while "knowledge" reflects a high level of assurance. While I agree that we typically use the term "know" to indicate we have a high level of assurance, I don't think we necessarily use the term "believe" to indicate a low level. Sometimes when we say we believe something, we mean that we accept it as an indisputable fact. I do concede that a "religious belief" is commonly considered to be not supported by demonstrable facts. However, that does not necessarily make it illogical or irrational. For example, how about the religious belief, "We can make the world a better place if we love our fellow human beings." I think most of us would agree that such a statement cannot be proven to be true, and yet, it is certainly possible to argue rationally for its validity.

Additionally, "believing" may be more primary than "knowing." I have explained under the epistomology heading that, so far as I can tell, I always have to believe in something (have trust in, have faith in) before I can claim to know something.

2. If we try to apply this to theology, we immediately run into a huge problem. We have to agree on a definition of "God," before we can argue about "God's" existence. When someone says, "I don't believe in God" I would be inclined to say, "I probably don't believe in the same God you don't believe in." Certain (I would argue false) images of God have been so widely perpetuated by professing Christians in our culture, it's no wonder at all that many of us have become atheists.

So, again, I apologize if I have overlooked some conclusions that have been reached in this inquiry, but I am still unclear as to whether the participants have come to any conclusions about the basic notions of "belief," "knowledge," and "God."

If not, I will try to keep up from here on out!
Many days have passed since i gave my view but my opinion is that there is certain knowledge that is indisputable and certain knowledge ,information, that can be disputed but personal knowledge is just as important for the individual but totaly irrelevant to others.Belief for the individual can be built on personal knowledge.

ILYAS TOXANBAYEV

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:55 am
@Khethil,
If the individual knows that there is certain Mr. Smith, but never saw him, this is a knowledge, but not belief yet. When the individual directly gets acquainted, sees and communicates with Mr. Smith it is belief in existence of Mr. Smith.
In the first case, the individual knows Mr. Smith by knowledge. If the individual is not familiar with him, the individual does not know his e-mail (for example) and how to address to him.
A similar situation in belief to God or knowledge of Him.

Khethil

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:25 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
... Belief for the individual can be built on personal knowledge.

This is an important point I believe I neglected to address in my OP; one that's been called back to my attention a number of times. I think it deserves some emphasis

Personal 'knowledge' can be - and often is - indeed a basis for a belief. For me, the weight and amount of such knowledge 'bits' determine whether I label the overall notion as "I know" or "I believe".

Thanks

xris

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 11:34 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
This is an important point I believe I neglected to address in my OP; one that's been called back to my attention a number of times. I think it deserves some emphasis

Personal 'knowledge' can be - and often is - indeed a basis for a belief. For me, the weight and amount of such knowledge 'bits' determine whether I label the overall notion as "I know" or "I believe".

Thanks
Rightly emphasized..i know is different to i believe..Its pretty damned hard to argue against personal knowledge ,its a conviction through experiences.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 07:41:56