1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » The Origins of Truth and Philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

richrf

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 05:17 pm
Hi everyone,

I came across this while reading Geldard's Remembering Heraclitus:

"Another theme suggested by the word remembering is its relation to the Greek word for truth, aletheia, one translation for which is "not forgetting,", and another is "to uncover". If truth means not to forget then searching for the truth involves remembering or uncovering what was previously lost. Aletheia was the first word associated with those who practiced philosophy. These were human beings who remembered and spoke of things forgotten. Later, when this term became too imposing for any one persson to assume for the community, these remembers, or truth-tellers, became philia-sophos, lovers of wisdom, a much easier, pleasing sounding activity and an occupation less, likely to end in banishment."

Now, Ggeldard is a man after my own heart! This stuff is great. Can't wait to get more into this book. Smile

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 08:03 pm
@richrf,
richrf;69250 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I came across this while reading Geldard's Remembering Heraclitus:

"Another theme suggested by the word remembering is its relation to the Greek word for truth, aletheia, one translation for which is "not forgetting,", and another is "to uncover". If truth means not to forget then searching for the truth involves remembering or uncovering what was previously lost. Aletheia was the first word associated with those who practiced philosophy. These were human beings who remembered and spoke of things forgotten. Later, when this term became too imposing for any one persson to assume for the community, these remembers, or truth-tellers, became philia-sophos, lovers of wisdom, a much easier, pleasing sounding activity and an occupation less, likely to end in banishment."

Now, Ggeldard is a man after my own heart! This stuff is great. Can't wait to get more into this book. Smile

Rich

I would not depend so much on etymology if I were you for what a word means. After all, "lunatic" originally meant, influenced by the Moon. But when someone is said to be a lunatic now, I don't think anyone has the Moon in mind.

richrf

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69287 wrote:
I would not depend so much on etymology if I were you for what a word means. After all, "lunatic" originally meant, influenced by the Moon. But when someone is said to be a lunatic now, I don't think anyone has the Moon in mind.

Hi,

I love this kind of stuff, because I think the early Greeks saw things much clearer. It very much dovetails my own personal metaphysics that I developed, which is quite different from anything I have read other than Daoism and Heraclitus. So it is fascinating to me.

As to the moon - well there is a very significant part of the population that believes that the moon affects moods and actions.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:42 pm
@richrf,
richrf;69315 wrote:
Hi,

I love this kind of stuff, because I think the early Greeks saw things much clearer. It very much dovetails my own personal metaphysics that I developed, which is quite different from anything I have read other than Daoism and Heraclitus. So it is fascinating to me.

As to the moon - well there is a very significant part of the population that believes that the moon affects moods and actions.

Rich

Right. But that is hardly the point. The point is that no one thinks that the word, "lunatic" means "influenced by the Moon" even if that is the etymology of the word.

richrf

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69319 wrote:
Right. But that is hardly the point. The point is that no one thinks that the word, "lunatic" means "influenced by the Moon" even if that is the etymology of the word.

Hi again,

Actually many people do. It all depends upon what one has studied and how it has been assimilated. I am always amazed by the diversity within the world and take nothing for granted.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:47 pm
@richrf,
richrf;69320 wrote:
Hi again,

Actually many people do. It all depends upon what one has studied and how it has been assimilated. I am always amazed by the diversity within the world and take nothing for granted.

Rich

Look up "lunatic" in the dictionary. The dictionary tells you what words now mean, and the dictionary does not say as part of the meaning, "influenced by the Moon", Therefore, it really does not matter what this or that person may mean by "lunatic".

ValueRanger

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69319 wrote:

Origin.

How to reconcile differentials in space and time. Why not flamingo, or Joe?

The point is, is that we're continuously comparing points, because we are equally differentiated in space and time. So to act of two minds, Earth or Moon, is countered by singular precision. So how to map according to need?

Priori... the mother of invention.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:55 pm
@ValueRanger,
ValueRanger;69323 wrote:
Origin.

The point is, is that we're continuously comparing points, because we are equally differentiated in space and time. So to act of two minds, Earth or Moon, is countered by singular precision. So how to map according to need?

You ARE joking, of course.

richrf

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:58 pm
@ValueRanger,
ValueRanger;69323 wrote:
Origin.

Hi there,

Reminds me of Beatnik poems in my youth. :a-ok:

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:07 pm
@richrf,
richrf;69331 wrote:
Hi there,

Reminds me of Beatnik poems in my youth. :a-ok:

Rich

Except that he is probably drunk.

richrf

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:13 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69334 wrote:
Except that he is probably drunk.

Smile Allen Ginsburg has the same affect on me.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:32 pm
@richrf,
richrf;69339 wrote:
Smile Allen Ginsburg has the same affect on me.

Rich

Sigh. The (really) bad old days!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » The Origins of Truth and Philosophy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:39:53