Do humans actually have free will?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 06:33 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Fido,Smile

Smile "Where faith leaves off knowledge begins?" Faith simply desires if you like, that it imagineings will one day manifest themselves as reality. Faith you might say is a process of desire, and nothing more. I believe the latin religio is translated to mean, a linking back, back to its origin, With Christianity this would be its genesis in the form of the garden of eden and the talking snake. I do like your analogy of a great darkness which is the shared experience of two different organisms, only one is claiming to know the darkness for what it really is------that would be the faithful.

Sorry if my stance seems harsh, perhaps in the future there will be a mythology created which does not totally breach with what we know of reality. Actually reality is very mystical, as intangible as it is it would lend itself to the knowledge of the day.

Both ratio and religio are making their meals off the same ignorence, and I don't find science any less dependent upon faith. It at least stops on occasion to test its faith. Only money tests the faith of the religious.

boagie

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:33 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Both ratio and religio are making their meals off the same ignorence, and I don't find science any less dependent upon faith. It at least stops on occasion to test its faith. Only money tests the faith of the religious.

Fido,Smile

Smile You seem to have some investment in equating science and religion as birds of a feather, or two comparable apples. I suggest that their differences lay in their approach to the unknown, it is this which defines them, not the unknown itself. I think to, as I suspect you yourself feel, there is a difference in the level honesty envolved, your tone seems to suggest this to me, am I reading this correctly.

Fido

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 11:22 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Fido,Smile

Smile You seem to have some investment in equating science and religion as birds of a feather, or two comparable apples. I suggest that their differences lay in their approach to the unknown, it is this which defines them, not the unknown itself. I think to, as I suspect you yourself feel, there is a difference in the level honesty envolved, your tone seems to suggest this to me, am I reading this correctly.

Oh ya. They are very much alike, especially in regard to morals. For example the acceptance of God is a denial of moral responsibility. So, if we follow the form of morality, obey the law, the ten commandments, go to church etc. then we are free from what is always our duty as human beings and that is to know we are just in regard to our fellow human beings.

Truth serves the same purpose for the mathematician or the scientist when they fail to note that it is living breathing beings who actually determine what is truth in regard to what is life. Truth is not at all apart from every moral consideration, but there are people who think it is; so for them truth is fate, just as God is fate. Our purpose as human beings should be to limit faith, and fate; and to keep the moral choice always clearly in sight. Not one of us can safely give up our own authority to determine truth in the light of its results -to another. The only way will can become meaningless as a force is if we deny it.

boagie

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 11:40 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Oh ya. They are very much alike, especially in regard to morals. For example the acceptance of God is a denial of moral responsibility. So, if we follow the form of morality, obey the law, the ten commandments, go to church etc. then we are free from what is always our duty as human beings and that is to know we are just in regard to our fellow human beings.

Truth serves the same purpose for the mathematician or the scientist when they fail to note that it is living breathing beings who actually determine what is truth in regard to what is life. Truth is not at all apart from every moral consideration, but there are people who think it is; so for them truth is fate, just as God is fate. Our purpose as human beings should be to limit faith, and fate; and to keep the moral choice always clearly in sight. Not one of us can safely give up our own authority to determine truth in the light of its results -to another. The only way will can become meaningless as a force is if we deny it.

Fido,Smile

Smile Just excellent!! I could not agree more, well perhaps a tad more. In considering freewill, what do you say is the object of freewill, the will of anothers freewill or the physical world at large? Whatever meaning is to be had, we know it will be relational, so again, what is the freewill's object, is this not what must define it as free.

ogden

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:19 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Fido,

Truth is a consept, relative/subjective. Yes? There are abstract truths used by the faithfull and phylosophers, and scientific truthes wich are subject to change in any plank moment, so all is subject, and suspect. (does this statement hold any water?)

Fate is determinism regardless of the force majeure.

As for morality it also is relative. It depends on the values of the subject or group that defines it. After recieving the ten commandment moses had no problems comiting genocide against a "heathen tribe killing averything; men, women, childeren, and the animals.

Religious law, common law, and government have all corraled our behaior somewhat, but have failed to remove the fly from the ointment (heal imoral man). What hope then to surmount our own human nature? Some of us feel free some of the time but we are never free from our own biology. There is then no free will, as far as I can tell Sad.

nameless

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:29 am
@PeterDamian,
I'd like to present another perspective on the subject of 'free-will/choice';

To define 'someone/thing', fully, in absolute totality, would require the inclusion of the entire universe at the moment of description (if that were possible). (Butterfly Effect and all, what you 'are' is also defined by that which you are 'not'.

{Momentary political rant begins;
So the ignorant people who think that 'evil' can be destroyed without, at the same moment, destroying themselves (who consider themselves 'good') are sociopaths who are 'pissin' 't windward'!
Rant ended.}

So, in summary, the 'you' (for example) can only be defined in terms of the entire universe at any specific moment of existence.
The same for anything else in that universe; 'everything' is inclusive of a perfectly balanced and complete universe of the moment; a static (memory) One.

Then there is the entirely harmonious universe of another (synchronous) moment. Nothing 'moves' or 'changes'. There is one 'universe' per moment.

If one could actually initiate some sort of independently willed action, the entire universe must also alter to accommodate the implications of the enactment of your whim (choice). Perhaps Andromeda will wink out because you gotta have a cup of water? A few civilizations wiped from some dinky planet in the Crab Nebula because you 'choose' to wink your eye? All unaware and unknown to you who just suddenly had the 'free-will' to alter what Is into what he Wants.
Such vanity...

nameless

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:44 am
@PeterDamian,
And some food for thought (!) for the religious;
'God Has No Free-Will'
God Has No Free Will

1) An Omniscient (all-knowing) Being Does Not Have Free Will.
2) A Perfect God Has No Free Will
3) A Moral God has No Free Will
4) God exists outside of time... where there is no free will
5) How can a creator of free will have free will?
6) Conclusion: God is not moral

Some food for thought.

GridLok

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:32 am
@nameless,
How is
Quote:
Conclusion: God is not moral
derived from the preceding statements?

Perhaps an 'un-common' perspective, arising when the term 'moral' - merely having forgotten the memory of its acknowledgement that consistency had some pragmatic value (even if it is only an illusion)? Or, does a reader, taken by 'moral' to be the reader, as I suggest it commonly is, is concerned with right and wrong, good and bad?

Sorry. Rhetorical ramblings of a recondite mind. Nonetheless perfect as such, from moment-to-moment in the Planck of an eye-lid. The vedantic victory of rash assertion over the possibility of daring dissertations within the illusion, very momentous and glib, flash boom, knowledge is not stated or claimed, save as memory. Memory? What is that? An excellent question which should be put out with the cat … whose cat? No, no, no! Who is cat? Oh don't you know? It's obvious! Hahahaha … Sounds ridiculous to me, nonsense … I do not need to imbibe my 'thoughts', my 'reality' from societal 'authority and consensus'. I have my own 'memories' ...!!

nameless

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 06:35 am
@GridLok,
GridLok;7022 wrote:
How is... derived from the preceding statements?

Hmmm... That was a link that I provided. The text with the numbers is, had you visited the link first, the 'contents' list of the linked paper.
(rolls eyes)

As for the rest, it appears nonsensical, devoid of meaning.
Is there actually some point worthy of response? I did recognize some of the words, though. Memorize them all just for this.... attempt at 'humor'? (If that is what it is...)

GridLok

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:46 pm
@nameless,
Dear, dear Nameless - and I assure you, and all others who may read this, that I am not, at this moment, and in using the term 'dear', being in any way sarcastic or deprecating.

In part of your post on Dec. 17, you made the following statement:
Quote:
I don't know what your problem is, we have been having a simple conversation as I elucidated points and answered questions. If we have that level of communication problem; I suspect that a large part of the 'problem' is an unwillingness to make an attempt to understand what I say. You seem to 'act' as if understanding equates with accepting or believing. It doesn't, necessarily.

Let me state unequivocally, that I have wanted to understand what you say, I still do; I have attempted to do so, but found it exceedingly difficult. Now, it has been characteristic of my response to that which I don't understand in life, to doubt myself first, to assume that whatever difficulties I encounter, they result from shortcomings on my part. That is not to say there is no information of which I am aware, that I think I do have sufficient understanding to engage in discussion about it … there is. But in all discussion I am primarily interested to understand how propositions/statements/conclusions about the point(s) being addressed have been derived. To me, at least, this means simply having to ask questions (cf. "I would question your entry into this discussion, asking questions and all...")

Thus if I come across a statement, I want to understand the reasoning behind it … all the more so if it is something with which I either do not understand, or, within the scope of my understanding seems incorrect. Unfortunately I know of no other way to seek explication or clarification, than asking questions. Further, I suggest that for there to be any chance of pragmatically useful exchanges of information, such as may form the basis of communication, there needs to exist both a sufficient commonality of conceptualisation (i.e. meaning of words), and willingness to consider modifications as found to be necessary. Simply dismissing such an approach as "bourgeoise consensus", and declaring that "I do not need to imbibe my 'thoughts', my 'reality' from societal 'authority and consensus'. I have my own 'memories' ...!!", and being dismissive of that with which one disagrees, is I think unlikely to result in an the possibility of mutual understanding.

As for my last post, it was undoubtedly affected by being both physically tired and ill. I should try that combination more often! On re-reading, I find a certain mad perceptiveness that raises a smile to my face … and why not, when more reasoned prose is trashed as ridiculous nonsense?

So, where to from here? I'm game if you are … to continue seeking a nexus of our individual understanding, and I quite understand that this in no way necessarily implies agreement. Indeed, I put up statements, opinions, argument etc., etc., in the hope that they might be 'proven' wrong - at least then I can reduce the list of possibilities left to explore. Conversely even when it seems to me I have finally found a 'truth', I recognise that simply because neither my mind nor anyone elses has demonstrated it to have shortcomings (or to be just plain wrong), doesn't mean that it will always stand.

IN SHORT: I HOPE YOU CAN RECOGNISE A GENUINE ATTEMPT TO EXCHANGE INFORMATION IN A WAY THAT IT MUTUALLY INTELLIGIBLE. (And please, don't read anything into the use of caps.)

nameless

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:46 am
@GridLok,
GridLok;7053 wrote:
Dear, dear Nameless - ...
Let me state unequivocally, that I have wanted to understand what you say, I still do;

I will accept this at face value and in that case it appears that I was 'incorrect' in my 'assunption'. I shall attempt, in our communication, to do as I can to facilitate communication/understanding of particular points in discussion.
(You do seem to have an appropriate nom de plume, here, at times! (humor))

Quote:
I have attempted to do so, but found it exceedingly difficult.

I understand how difficult it can be. Apologies..

Quote:
...in all discussion I am primarily interested to understand how propositions/statements/conclusions about the point(s) being addressed have been derived. To me, at least, this means simply having to ask questions ...

Fine. First understand what I am trying to say, and then, if you like, I can give a bit of my thought processes involved in reaching that point. Sometimes, please realize, that some of those 'thought processes' have taken a half century to form. It would be difficult to communicate all that in a post or two on a forum. If there is already existent reference to my point, I'll direct you there first. If you are truly interested in understanding, and willing to do a bit of foundational research, I would be most inclined to help guide you from there. Capisce'?
I look foreward to future communication, but, remember, understanding is an 'active process'. One must desire and make an attempt, try... There has been a lot of movie already been shown before you wandered into 'my theater'.

Quote:
... there needs to exist both a sufficient commonality of conceptualisation (i.e. meaning of words), and willingness to consider modifications as found to be necessary. Simply dismissing such an approach as "bourgeoise consensus", and declaring that "I do not need to imbibe my 'thoughts', my 'reality' from societal 'authority and consensus'. I have my own 'memories' ...!!", and being dismissive of that with which one disagrees, is I think unlikely to result in an the possibility of mutual understanding.

I define my terms. I have shown that. Demanding mundane communal meanings for words that I have defined according to this perspective is unproductive. My understandings and perspectives are far from 'mundane', and mundanity has no place here. If YOU can understand the words that I define, that will suffice. If you need a definition that I have failed to provide, just ask. But, please, don't ask me to limit my perspective and understanding to the 'common level of thought (if you can call it thought!) for ease of understanding. It simply aint easy stuff and requires an active desire to ignore, for the moment, what one instinctively 'knows' and an attempt to understand the apparent 'madness' of other perspectives.

Quote:
As for my last post, it was undoubtedly affected by being both physically tired and ill. I should try that combination more often!

Perhaps I should just have read it as poetry. But I didn't want to imprint my face (though you seem to have) on your words in translation, so I let it go. We can return to it if it is important to you, but... I'm happy to just let it go as poetry and move on. (Nice to see another poet)
Bye the bye, a build up of CO2 in the blood helps the mind transcend mundane thought/concepts... Extatic dancing, whirling dervish, fasting, mantra, incessent prayers, aesthetic practice, entheogens... all simply to raise our CO2 levels enabling us to "dream dreams and see visions" mundanely unavailable.
Physical exhaustion and illness are great methods of bypassing the 'rational' mind. Deliberately inducing exhaustion is common, but the illness is a mixed 'blessing'.

Quote:
So, where to from here?

"Onward through the fog!" -Oat Willie
Lead on MacDuff..
Peace

kennethamy

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 07:42 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Suppose a person wants to do what he believes God wants him to do. Why is that "the denial of moral responsibility". Suppose that God tells us we should love our neighbor, and I do love my neighbor. How does this deny moral responsibility? Am I not morally responsible for loving my neighbor?

Fido

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:12 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Suppose a person wants to do what he believes God wants him to do. Why is that "the denial of moral responsibility". Suppose that God tells us we should love our neighbor, and I do love my neighbor. How does this deny moral responsibility? Am I not morally responsible for loving my neighbor?
I will not deny that this is quite moral advice, to love ones neighbor, but it is a moral question of: at what range will you set your love.
When people do as they are told to do, when they believe in God which for so many means accepting the authority of another in regard to God, then what exactly are they wanting to do, and upon whose authority? People sacrificed virgins because they thought that was the want of their God. Who told them that was the want of their God? When we seek the supernatural to deny the natural we do not become more Godly or less natural. We do deny our responsibility to our fellows when we wait to be told or to be asked to give justice to others. If a person is home less, or hungry, or uneducated or unemployed as a result of injustice we can do for him and do nothing for all. Shall we tolerate injustice till the victims overwhelm us? I should not have to seek justice for my neighbors or salve the wounds of injustice when my government is made for the purpose of justice. But if I let the government give charity I give, I am doing the same thing as the church does, and that is feeding the belly, and not feeding the soul. The moral responsibility is primarily this: To recognize our fellow human beings. When we give to the church, or give to government for the purpose of helping victims we are doing so to avoid a painful relationship. It is our obligation to relate, even if relation causes us pain, because only in the relationship are people united to seek justice. We have to concede that the poor need justice as much as the rich, and that the powerless need justice as well as the powerful. The relationship a man has with his God is not moral nor immoral, but is spiritual. The relations one has with his mates, and with humanity are moral or immoral. We can fully believe as if God exists, but we should always act as though God does not exist, and that if God would be real then God is real in our moral actions toward our kind.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 03:11 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
I will not deny that this is quite moral advice, to love ones neighbor, but it is a moral question of: at what range will you set your love.
When people do as they are told to do, when they believe in God which for so many means accepting the authority of another in regard to God, then what exactly are they wanting to do, and upon whose authority? People sacrificed virgins because they thought that was the want of their God. Who told them that was the want of their God? When we seek the supernatural to deny the natural we do not become more Godly or less natural. We do deny our responsibility to our fellows when we wait to be told or to be asked to give justice to others. If a person is home less, or hungry, or uneducated or unemployed as a result of injustice we can do for him and do nothing for all. Shall we tolerate injustice till the victims overwhelm us? I should not have to seek justice for my neighbors or salve the wounds of injustice when my government is made for the purpose of justice. But if I let the government give charity I give, I am doing the same thing as the church does, and that is feeding the belly, and not feeding the soul. The moral responsibility is primarily this: To recognize our fellow human beings. When we give to the church, or give to government for the purpose of helping victims we are doing so to avoid a painful relationship. It is our obligation to relate, even if relation causes us pain, because only in the relationship are people united to seek justice. We have to concede that the poor need justice as much as the rich, and that the powerless need justice as well as the powerful. The relationship a man has with his God is not moral nor immoral, but is spiritual. The relations one has with his mates, and with humanity are moral or immoral. We can fully believe as if God exists, but we should always act as though God does not exist, and that if God would be real then God is real in our moral actions toward our kind.

But someone may believe in God, and love his neighbor, but not do that latter because he believes in God. He may just love his neighbor because he believes it is the right thing to do.

Fido

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 03:43 pm
@kennethamy,
What is moral is measured by actions and not beliefs. People give their beliefs the force of reality, and faith as faith is meaningless.

hamletswords

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 04:07 pm
@Fido,
My favorite Christian line is from "the Lord's Prayer" which goes:

"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

I see it correlating beautifully with Buddhism and general karmic beliefs, assuming "God" is something like "The Overriding System of Everything."

The Dalai Lama spends alot of time talking about compassion, and how consistantly practicing true compassion leads to a compounding compassion-fest.

A useful moral system, to me, would be to be "forgiven" (for being imperfect, I guess) in the same way that we "forgive" others for being imperfect. God doesn't even have to participate, because the odds of people treating you compassionately dramatically increase in correlation to how compassionate you are to them and to others in general.

Of course, the line "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." could be interpreted very differently if the "as" is read as "while" instead of "in the same way as". That interpretation doesn't indicate a correlation, and seems about as meaningful as wishing upon a star.

For the record, I'm a confirmed Catholic and it causes me no end of pain. It's fully ingrained in my basic thinking, which has advantages and disadvantages.

My active "faith" tends to oscillate between Tibetan Buddhism and Ayn Rand's Objectivism.

As for Free Will, yes, we have it.

BeatsMeWhy

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 02:21 am
@redzeppelin,
redzeppelin wrote:
If we don't have free will, then we aren't responsible for anything we do - we can blame all manner of other things for our behavior.

The point is, in fact, that the responsibility for our acts is sort of a mask to cover the fact that cooperation is understandably our best choice. Even bats know that.

Guilt and blame are meaningless words.

The only stable way of being what is called "good" is to understand up to what a point that improves our life and our chances to survive.

I don't think there is such a thing as free will. Freedom seems to consist of knowledge that enables us to recognize the best option in each moment, in each situation.

All we know, everything we use when the moment comes to make up our mind about something, is our brain configuration. Only feedback can help us in some, also deterministic, way, to understand and guide it.

(N.B.: Despite the categoric tone, and despite the fact I'm quite sure about this, I've found myself being wrong many times. So, if anyone thinks I'm wrong, I'd like to read the argument. But be sure I mean no offence.)

Regards,

S.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:58 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
BMW wrote:
Guilt and blame are meaningless words.

The only stable way of being what is called "good" is to understand up to what a point that improves our life and our chances to survive.

I don't think there is such a thing as free will. Freedom seems to consist of knowledge that enables us to recognize the best option in each moment, in each situation.

When I say that a murder is guilty, I mean that he did the crime, and that he did it intentionally. Don't you? Everyone who speaks English does, I think.

When I choose vanilla ice-cream rather than a different flavor, I am doing it of my own free will, because I wasn't forced to do it. That is what we ordinarily mean by "free will".

BeatsMeWhy

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:41 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;20583 wrote:
When I say that a murder is guilty, I mean that he did the crime, and that he did it intentionally. Don't you? Everyone who speaks English does, I think.

I'm afraid I'm not anglophone -I stopped studying English when I finished highschool- though I do my best. Thanks for the remark, probably I was ambiguous.

I meant there is no point in feeling guilt, in the sense of thinking one should be punished. Guilt must (I think) be sort of a warning that we have made a wrong choice, to help us not to repeat it. Which is not the same as saying nobody should be punished, since all live beings have a trend to protect themselves of further injury and punishment is a very common strategy for trying to achieve that.

kennethamy;20583 wrote:
When I choose vanilla ice-cream rather than a different flavor, I am doing it of my own free will, because I wasn't forced to do it. That is what we ordinarily mean by "free will".

Then, what do you think was the point of the initial question? Don't you think your choices are determined by what you know? I have always thought that the notion of free will had nothing to do with the situation. There are always choices, the same way there are always restrictions. The only doubt is how we work out what is the best choice, I think.

Well, hope to have been clearer. Sorry if I misunderstood something.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:04 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
BMW wrote:
I'm afraid I'm not anglophone -I stopped studying English when I finished highschool- though I do my best. Thanks for the remark, probably I was ambiguous.

I meant there is no point in feeling guilt, in the sense of thinking one should be punished. Guilt must (I think) be sort of a warning that we have made a wrong choice, to help us not to repeat it. Which is not the same as saying nobody should be punished, since all live beings have a trend to protect themselves of further injury and punishment is a very common strategy for trying to achieve that.

Then, what do you think was the point of the initial question? Don't you think your choices are determined by what you know? I have always thought that the notion of free will had nothing to do with the situation. There are always choices, the same way there are always restrictions. The only doubt is how we work out what is the best choice, I think.

Well, hope to have been clearer. Sorry if I misunderstood something.

Since people do not normally choose to feel what they feel, so even if you are right, I don't think it matters. But people are (sometimes) guilty of doing wrong whether or not they feel guilty. And society often punishes guilty people so as to deter them from repeating their actions, and so as to deter others from doing the same wrong actions. Whether or not a person thinks he should be punished is something else again.

My choices are not only determined by what I know, they are determined by many other things as well. For instance, my temperament. But, they are still choices, and they are my choices. And, however they are caused (I think you mean by "determined", "caused") as long as they are not determined by some kind of compulsion exercised on me, as long as I am not forced to do what I choose to do, and as long as my choices, themselves, are not compelled, then I am acting freely. I don't know what you mean by "nothing to do with the situation", but if I am forced to hand over my money at the point of a gun, then I am not doing that "of my own free will". However, if I see a beggar in the streets, and moved by his plight, I give him some money, then I do so "of my own free will". That is how we talk (at least in English).

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 04:06:35