This sentence is false.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:36 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;167006 wrote:
Does it really matter?

This sentence expresses a false proposition.

Alright. Now what is the proposition that is false?

Now do you see?

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:43 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;167008 wrote:
Alright. Now what is the proposition that is false

The proposition is that the proposition is false.

1. This sentence has five words.
2. This sentence expresses a proposition.
3. This sentence does not express a proposition.
4. This sentence expresses a false proposition.

Zetherin;167008 wrote:
Now do you see?

See what?

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:45 pm
@Gnostic,
Night Ripper wrote:
The proposition is that the proposition is false.

What?

What proposition are we speaking about in the sentence "This sentence is false"? If someone said to you, "That's false!", wouldn't you ask, "What's false?"? Or would you just nod your head in agreement?

Quote:
See what?

That there is no proposition that is false.

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:48 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;167010 wrote:
What proposition are we speaking about in the sentence "This sentence is false"?

What proposition are we speaking about in the sentence "This sentence has five words"? Obviously not the same proposition but you can answer me, can't you? If so, use that same method and apply it to your own question.

fast

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:48 pm
@Zetherin,
[QUOTE=Zetherin;167004]But you even note the propositions expressed by the sentences are what are true and false. Why are the sentences true or false? I don't get it.[/QUOTE]The sentences (that are true or false) are true or false because the propositions expressed by them are true or false.

The proposition, "I'm sitting" is true because there is a fact that corresponds to the proposition; namely, "I'm sitting."

The sentence, "I'm sitting" is true because the proposition expressed by the sentence is true.

That's why I (and I believe Emil) say that if sentences are true, then they are derivatively true. The truth of a sentence is a function of the truth of the proposition expressed by a sentence.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:52 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;167011 wrote:
What proposition are we speaking about in the sentence "This sentence has five words"? Obviously not the same proposition but you can answer me, can't you? If so, use that same method and apply it to your own question.

Did you read my post earlier? I guess not. Here:

Zetherin wrote:
In the example, "There are seven words in this sentence", I am inclined to believe that there is a proposition being made. First, as noted, yes, I think it is reasonable to assume that "this sentence" refers to the sentence in which the phrase is in. And it seems to me that it is either true or false that a sentence has seven words; there is meaning here.

However, the problem with "This sentence is false", is, I think, that we do not attribute the properties true or false to sentences. We attribute the properties true or false to propositions. So, I do not think a proposition is being made, and I'm not sure the sentence is meaningful.

The sentences are not analagous because the first one expresses a proposition, while the second one does not. I'm not sure how you don't see that. We all understand that words can be contained in sentences, and that can be a property of sentences (its number of words). So, with the five or seven word examples, we understand there is a proposition, and can evaluate whether the proposition is true or false. But what are we talking about with "This sentence is false"? What is false? There's no proposition here being expressed, like say, the proposition about the number of words in a sentence.

fast wrote:
The truth of a sentence is a function of the truth of the proposition expressed by a sentence.

Interesting. So sentences are truth-bearers?

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:54 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;167015 wrote:
I'm not sure how you don't see that.

Does "This sentence expresses a proposition." express a proposition? If so, is it true or false? If not, why not? It seems to. Doesn't it?

fast

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 01:59 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;167015 wrote:
Interesting. So sentences are truth-bearers?
I don't do well with that term. It's been explained to me before, but I forget what it is.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:34 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;167017 wrote:
Does "This sentence expresses a proposition." express a proposition? If so, is it true or false? If not, why not? It seems to. Doesn't it?

Yes, "This sentence expresses a proposition" expresses a proposition. The proposition is that that sentence expresses a proposition. And that proposition is false, since the sentence does not express a proposition.

But in "This sentence is false", I don't see a proposition. The proposition is not "This sentence is false", since we need a proposition that is expressed by the sentence for the sentence to be false*. "This sentence is false" is meaningless without a proposition being referred to.

*Keep in mind, that as you will read below, I don't like stating sentences are true or false.

fast wrote:
I don't do well with that term. It's been explained to me before, but I forget what it is.

Well, a truth-bearer is something that must be true or false (there is no third option). The best example is the proposition, but I do know that there are other views, as Emil always notes, which regard things like sentence as truth-bearers. The truth-bearer sentence view makes no sense to me, since I know that a sentence can have meaning without being true or false. And I know you agree with that (as you just noted it).

I just think we ought to call propositions true or false, and be very wary not to confuse propositions with sentences. If we attribute the properties true or false to sentences, it seems to confuse things. I'd rather consider sentences meaningful or meaningless.

fast

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:13 pm
@Zetherin,
[QUOTE=Zetherin;167027]Well, a truth-bearer is something that must be true or false (there is no third option). [/QUOTE]Must be?

I agree that all propositions are either true or false, but many propositions aren't necessary truths (or falsities); they are contingent truths (and falsities).

[QUOTE]The best example is the proposition, but I do know that there are other views, as Emil always notes, which regard things like sentence as truth-bearers. The truth-bearer sentence view makes no sense to me, since I know that a sentence can have meaning without being true or false. And I know you agree with that (as you just noted it).[/QUOTE]

Sentences:
Meaningful sentences: possible
Meaningless sentences: possible
Cognitively meaningful sentences: possible
Cognitively meaningless sentences: possible

Meaningful (but not cognitively meaningful) sentences: possible

Propositions:
Meaningful propositions: possible
Meaningless propositions: TBA
Cognitively meaningful propositions: possible
Cognitively meaningless propositions: not possible

Meaningful (but not cognitively meaningful) propositions: not possible

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:44 pm
@Gnostic,
fast wrote:
I agree that all propositions are either true or false, but many propositions aren't necessary truths (or falsities); they are contingent truths (and falsities).

Yes, truth-bearers are either true or false. That is all that was meant. Sometimes I wonder if you guys are just pulling my leg when you write out these wild interpretations (this statement is more directed to Emil, really).

Yes, propositions must be either true or false, but that is not the same as saying that they must be true or that they must be false.

Quote:
Propositions:

I believe all propositions are meaningful. I also believe all propositions are either true or false. I don't know what your distinction between "cognitively meaningful" and "meaningful" is here. But since I believe all propositions are meaningful, I don't see the need to attribute the property meaningful to propositions; it seems superfluous. Sentences, however, can be meaningful or meaningless, so it makes sense to clarify which a particular sentence is.

Emil

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:59 pm
@fast,
fast;166877 wrote:
Thanks. I was wondering what I was.

I will add that never is it the case that a sentence is true or false if it does not express a proposition. The only reason I would ever call a sentence true or false is if the sentence expressed a proposition--all of which [propositions, that is] are true or false.

Why would I ever call a sentence true or false at all? It feels right. It doesn't seem that I'm committing a category error when I do so.

I want to know if it's techncially the case that sentences are true or false even though they are only derivately true--dependent on whether the propositions expressed by them are true or false. I think the answer is yes.

Here's my position:

Sentences that express true propositions are true sentences, sentences that express false propositions are false sentences, and sentences that don't express propositions at all are neither true sentences nor false sentences.

Keep in mind that I invented these terms ("pluralist sentence theorist" etc.), so other people may not know what you mean when you use them. I think they are pretty good though, so I will keep using them.

Yes, you pretty much accept what I wrote about on my blog.

Clear Language, Clear Mind Blog Archive Sentences as secondary truth bearers in a pluralistic proposition theory
Clear Language, Clear Mind Blog Archive Sentences as secondary truth bearers in a pluralistic proposition theory #2

How do you feel about beliefs then fast? It would seem arbitrary to accept sentences but not beliefs. So I guess you think some of them are also true/false.

---------- Post added 05-22-2010 at 12:02 AM ----------

fast;167018 wrote:

Means the same as truth carrier.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:06 pm
@Gnostic,
Emil's blog wrote:
This is how I see understand the position:
A sentence is true iff it expresses exactly one proposition and that proposition is true.

Why exactly one proposition? What about a sentence like, "The chemical composition of water is H20, and the element hydrogen has an atomic number of 1". It is a compound sentence, but a sentence nonetheless. And it expresses two propositions. So, why wouldn't this be considered a true sentence?

* I know you also wrote:

Quote:
The phrase " expresses exactly one proposition" seems to avoid the ambiguity problem that I wrote about earlier.

But when I click on the link, nothing comes up.

Emil

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:07 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;167027 wrote:

Well, a truth-bearer is something that must be true or false (there is no third option). The best example is the proposition, but I do know that there are other views, as Emil always notes, which regard things like sentence as truth-bearers. The truth-bearer sentence view makes no sense to me, since I know that a sentence can have meaning without being true or false. And I know you agree with that (as you just noted it).

I just think we ought to call propositions true or false, and be very wary not to confuse propositions with sentences. If we attribute the properties true or false to sentences, it seems to confuse things. I'd rather consider sentences meaningful or meaningless.

I don't agree with the bolded part. What you could say is that bivalence holds for propositions but not for sentences since some sentences are neither true or false. There are no propositions that are neither true or false. There was a thread about this, the one where the person named E. something kept responding to my posts without I responding to his. Very angry fellow.

I seem to recall Ken talking about some propositions that are neither true or false. It was in relation to fiction.

---------- Post added 05-22-2010 at 12:09 AM ----------

Zetherin;167050 wrote:
Why exactly one proposition? What about a sentence like, "The chemical composition of water is H20, and the element hydrogen has an atomic number of 1". It is a compound sentence, but a sentence nonetheless. And it expresses two propositions. So, why wouldn't this be considered a true sentence?

No, it expresses one proposition and that proposition is a compound proposition (not surprising).

The reason for the specification is because the problem of ambiguity of sentences.

Clear Language, Clear Mind Blog Archive The sentence theory of truth bearers - the problem of ambiguity
Clear Language, Clear Mind Blog Archive The sentence theory of truth bearers ? the problem of ambiguity #2

Quote:
But when I click on the link, nothing comes up.

For some reason the link was broken. I fixed it now.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:16 pm
@Gnostic,
Emil wrote:
I seem to recall Ken talking about some propositions that are neither true or false. It was in relation to fiction.

Could you give me an example? That seems wild to me. Propositions tell us something about the world, and things about the world are either true or false.

A sentence like "Mickey Mouse wears white gloves", I think can fairly be translated to, "The cartoon character Mickey Mouse is depicted as wearing white gloves". But if the person sincerely meant the real Mickey Mouse by the former sentence, it would of course not be expressing a proposition (since Mickey Mouse does not exist).

Quote:
No, it expresses one proposition and that proposition is a compound proposition (not surprising).

I don't see how. It expresses two propositions. That is, two different facts about the world. That two propositions are expressed by a compound sentence, doesn't mean that the two propositions conjoin into a compound proposition.

Emil

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:16 pm
@fast,
fast;167035 wrote:
Must be?

Sentences:
Meaningful sentences: possible
Meaningless sentences: possible
Cognitively meaningful sentences: possible
Cognitively meaningless sentences: possible

Meaningful (but not cognitively meaningful) sentences: possible

Propositions:

Same problem as always. What is this "possible" that you are talking about?

Besides, what does "meaningful proposition" even mean?

You should do it like this, I think. I think you are trying to talk about what is meaningful to say. Aren't you? What else could you mean by "possible"? I can't think of any alternate interpretation.

Sentences:
"Meaningful sentence" is meaningful.
"Meaningless sentence" is meaningful.
"Cognitively meaningful sentence" is meaningful.
"Cognitively meaningless sentence" is meaningful.

Propositions:
"Meaningful proposition" is not meaningful.
"Meaningless proposition" is not meaningful.
"Cognitively meaningful proposition" is not meaningful.
"Cognitively meaningless proposition" is not meaningful.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:19 pm
@Gnostic,
Emil wrote:
For some reason the link was broken. I fixed it now.

The link is not fixed - it still takes you back to the main page (I am assuming you are trying to link to a specific blog entry).

kennethamy

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:22 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;167006 wrote:
Does it really matter?

This sentence expresses a false proposition.

How did that happen? It was true just a moment ago.

ughaibu

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:22 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;167027 wrote:
Yes, "This sentence expresses a proposition" expresses a proposition. The proposition is that that sentence expresses a proposition. And that proposition is false, since the sentence does not express a proposition.
Presumably your last sentence is a mistake, as it doesn't make any sense. I think Night Ripper is getting at this problem:
1) this sentence expresses a proposition
2) this sentence expresses no proposition.

Emil

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:24 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;167053 wrote:
Could you give me an example? That seems wild to me. Propositions tell us something about the world, and things about the world are either true or false.

No. I only seem to recall it. Ken will mention it again when he sees these posts. It was something like: On the the 20th april, 2009, Superman ate dinner.

Quote:
A sentence like "Mickey Mouse wears white gloves", I think can fairly be translated to, "The cartoon character Mickey Mouse is depicted as wearing white gloves". But if the person sincerely meant the real Mickey Mouse by the former sentence, it would of course not be expressing a proposition (since Mickey Mouse does not exist).

Don't you mean to say that it does express a proposition but the proposition is false because there is no Mickey Mouse?

Quote:
I don't see how. It expresses two propositions. That is, two different facts about the world. That two propositions are expressed by a compound sentence, doesn't mean that the two propositions conjoin into a compound proposition.

Yes, it does. It's called a conjunction. I have no idea how you got the idea that if a sentence contains an "and" with the conjunction meaning, it really does not express a conjunction but instead expresses two simple proposotions. Do you think that one cannot express conjunctions? That would seem to follow from what you wrote, and it is untenable. What a waste of time for logicians when they invented truth tables for conjunctions and stuff. Poor De Morgan!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 02:53:11