Evidence versus Proof

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:22 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;107433 wrote:
How do you know the Earth is round? You have been persuaded that it is round. And so have I. Have you been in orbit? And even if you had, could one not doubt one's sense-impressions? Is a stick not crooked in water?

And perhaps you are indeed a brain in a vat..... Can you prove that you are not? Or will you, lawyer-like, make a case against this unpleasant possibility.

The point is our lack of direct connection to things-in-themselves. -- and also that "things-in-themselves" is just a mental-model, an invented concept.

You have an idea of the Earth in your head. This idea was put there. Another person might be told the Earth is flat. Perhaps your notion of the world is better for the prediction of certain events. Perhaps your notion is a superior notion as far survival goes. But your notion is not a final notion.

The case is not closed. It's just a cold case. You are persuaded enough of the Earth's roundness to cease investigation of the matter. And I, too, am in that boat. But I don't pretend to anything beyond provisional knowledge concerning the shape of Earth.

I know that Earth is round because I believe there is a mass of evidence for it, and I believe that it would be easy to refer to reliable sources that would confirm that Earth is round. I don't know what you mean by "provisional knowledge".

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:30 pm
@kennethamy,
If you woke up tomorrow morning in the body of an alien, and then were told that what you thought was your life was just a high-tech simulation, and that reality was 7 dimensional......You are told that there is no planet Earth.

Is the Earth still round? You would probably wonder at first if you were insane. But if the alien life persisted, you would have to abandon your belief that the Earth even existed as justified. Provisional means (roughly) good enough for the moment. We are never finished describing reality. All our so-called truths are related to this unfinished reality.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:33 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;107443 wrote:
If you woke up tomorrow morning in the body of an alien, and then were told that what you thought was your life was just a high-tech simulation, and that reality was 7 dimensional......You are told that there is no planet Earth.

Is the Earth still round? You would probably wonder at first if you were insane. But if the alien life persisted, you would have to abandon your belief that the Earth even existed as justified. Provisional means (roughly) good enough for the moment. We are never finished describing reality. All our so-called truths are related to this unfinished reality.

I don't see how this fantasy is relevant. What I am told, or what I believe, has no necessary connection to what is the case or what is not the case.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:48 pm
@kennethamy,
How does one know what is or is not the case? Tell me that, friend. Tell me that.

And what else do you mean by "is the case" than some sort of objective reality? Think on it.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 08:33 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;107453 wrote:
How does one know what is or is not the case? Tell me that, friend. Tell me that.

And what else do you mean by "is the case" than some sort of objective reality? Think on it.

Obviously by means of the use of evidence. I know that it is the case that Quito is the capital of Ecuador because I can look it up in the latest Atlas, read about it in Encyclopedias, and, if it was necessary, I could phone the Ecuadorean Embassy in Washington D.C. or even fly to Quito myself. How else would I know? It is not something that is innate. "It is the case" = "true".

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 03:01 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;107485 wrote:
Obviously by means of the use of evidence. I know that it is the case that Quito is the capital of Ecuador because I can look it up in the latest Atlas, read about it in Encyclopedias, and, if it was necessary, I could phone the Ecuadorean Embassy in Washington D.C. or even fly to Quito myself. How else would I know? It is not something that is innate. "It is the case" = "true".

And I bet you all of them agree that "Quito" is the capital. And this is what consensus is, and consensus is what you find persuasive enough to consider such a belief justified. Your "truth," in this case, is founded on consensus, my friend. Not "objective reality"(which is only a mental model!).

Main Entry:
Pronunciation: \kən-ˈsen(t)-səs\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Latin, from consentire
Date: 1843
1 a : general agreement : unanimityb : the judgment arrived at by most of those concerned <the consensus was to go ahead>
2 : group solidarity in sentiment and belief

kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 07:06 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;107520 wrote:
And I bet you all of them agree that "Quito" is the capital. And this is what consensus is, and consensus is what you find persuasive enough to consider such a belief justified. Your "truth," in this case, is founded on consensus, my friend. Not "objective reality"(which is only a mental model!).

Main Entry:
Pronunciation: \kən-ˈsen(t)-səs\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Latin, from consentire
Date: 1843
1 a : general agreement : unanimityb : the judgment arrived at by most of those concerned <the consensus was to go ahead>
2 : group solidarity in sentiment and belief

Guess why it is they agree. They all think it is true that Quito is the capital. Otherwise, they would not all agree.

Krumple

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 07:37 am
@fast,
Actually it doesn't take much at all to know the earth is spherical.

You see the moon.
You see the sun.
You see Jupiter.
The most likely shape that an object with proportional gravitational forces is a sphere.
The geometry supports that the earth is spherical.

Someone trying to convince me that the earth was not a sphere would have a much harder time.

So provide for me some information that states the earth is not a sphere.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 07:52 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;107538 wrote:
Actually it doesn't take much at all to know the earth is spherical.

You see the moon.
You see the sun.
You see Jupiter.
The most likely shape that an object with proportional gravitational forces is a sphere.
The geometry supports that the earth is spherical.

Someone trying to convince me that the earth was not a sphere would have a much harder time.

So provide for me some information that states the earth is not a sphere.

It would be physically impossible for Earth or any heavenly body not to be a sphere. As you point out, gravity is the cause of that. It is hard to know what the skeptic is getting at here.

Fido

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:25 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;107439 wrote:
I know that Earth is round because I believe there is a mass of evidence for it, and I believe that it would be easy to refer to reliable sources that would confirm that Earth is round. I don't know what you mean by "provisional knowledge".

I hate to break this to you, but the earth is spherical, and not round, and it flattens at the poles, sort of like the republican party...

Looks like some one got there first...Sorry all

Zetherin

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:51 am
@fast,
Reconstructo wrote:

Not only do you not find intersubjectivity persuasive, but it actually dissuades you from thinking that we have access to truth. This is incredibly odd to me.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 02:43 pm
@Zetherin,
Intersubjectivity is just another word for consensus. And I do find it persuasive. I find all sorts of things sufficiently persuasive. What I'm interested in is the location of the foundation of that which we call truth.

As I've said before, this is strictly a theoretical question. Animal faith is faith enough. I'm not trotting out my Pyrrho costume here.

Objective reality is an extremely useful mental model. In a practical its obviously true. Solipsism is nothing but a parlor trick. So, if anyone is projecting that sort of game on yours truly, cease and desist -- it causes blindness.

We all have a mental model of the human mind, and then also a mental model of knowledge, truth, etc. The question is one of relationships. Quito bores me, and is off the point. But my point still applies to that. Still, such a trivial example of consensus is not at all what I was focusing on.

Forget the capital of cities. Consider instead our various idiosyncratic mental-models of knowledge, truth, righteousness, etc. How do we end up with these particular mental-models? Pretty obviously we absorb them from our parents and our culture. Then we continue perhaps to read many books. This is especially the domain of persuasion. Why does Joe like Rorty's view of truth and Tim like his Uncle Jim's?

It's presumable that no mental-model of objective reality is exactly like another. For every person Reality is different. But there is plenty of intersubjective overlap for us to forget this. It's also in our favor to see the world more socially. We accept the usual signifier-signified relationships just to be admitted to the game.

What I suggest is the impossibility of perfect knowledge. And this is hardly an extreme suggestion. I'm surprised how little understood I've been on this.

Surely I'm not the only one in this conversation that realizes that individuals have idiosyncratic mental models of objective reality. Surely I'm not the only one that sees that objective reality is just the overlapping of subjective realities.

Think of intersubjectivity as a Venn diagram. Where the circles overlap, there is your "objectivity." And, as far I can see, nowhere else.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 02:55 pm
@fast,
So, you believe that, absent of our consensus circles (intersubjectivity), an objective reality does not exist?

Or, do you believe that it may exist, we just don't have access to it because we are all viewing from a "subjective lens"?

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 03:14 pm
@fast,
I think an objective reality exists, yes. But I put it in quotes to emphasize that the concept itself is a mental-model. It's still "all in our head." It's still sense-data interpreted to large degree by mental-models/concepts/metaphors.

But what is this objectivity beyond the simple overlap of subjectivity? It's a mental model. And it's a great human invention. Western man's mental model of a law-governed universe. But it's only a creation. And I don't want Frankenstein abused by his monster.

Just as man created God, he also created Reality. I sympathize with Blake's notion of the Poetic Genius. The human imagination is God (the poetic genius). For man to bow to some creation and not to the creative within him is well described as idolatry.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 03:24 pm
@fast,
Reconstructo wrote:
I think an objective reality exists, yes. But I put it in quotes to emphasize that the concept itself is a mental-model. It's still "all in our head." It's still sense-data interpreted to large degree by mental-models/concepts/metaphors.

But what is this objectivity beyond the simple overlap of subjectivity? It's a mental model. And it's a great human invention. Western man's mental model of a law-governed universe. But it's only a creation. And I don't want Frankenstein abused by his monster.

Just as man created God, he also created Reality. I sympathize with Blake's notion of the Poetic Genius. The human imagination is God (the poetic genius). For man to bow to some creation and not to the creative within him is well described as idolatry.

So, then, you deny that reality existed before humans existed? That seems odd to me since the universe has been here long before humans existed; this means reality existed long before humans existed. Why do you think otherwise?

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 03:38 pm
@Zetherin,
I respect your objection. In one sense I agree with you that reality preceded man, but in another sense I do not. Why?

Well, what is being? Perhaps you know that Heidegger put the term "being" under erasure, because the word "being" was not indeterminate being itself. What is it to exist? Is it just the primary predicate that can only be applied to something determinate? Is indeterminate being what Hegel calls it, nothingness?

I thought about this and decided that being is equivalent to consciousness. For humans, consciousness is the primary predicate. So in this sense the universe did not exist before man. Even in the situation you presented, we still have a presently alive human being (you) imagining a situation that lacks such a source of consciousness.

But a scientist must forget this element of consciousness and concentrate on his equations. So the Big Bang Theory is not an absurdity but one of many possible descriptions of "Reality" -- one that excludes consciousness as the primary predicate.

prothero

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 03:45 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;108593 wrote:
What is it to exist? Is it just the primary predicate that can only be applied to something determinate? Is indeterminate being what Hegel calls it, nothingness?I thought about this and decided that being is equivalent to consciousness.
I am finding the difference between
"being", "exists","consciousness" and "nothingness" a little confusing and vague. Can you clarify?
For those of us who conceive of some form of cosmic intelligence, awareness or consciousness does that change the formulation?

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 03:59 pm
@prothero,
I will do my best. It's a strange subject, I admit.

"What is being?"
This is Heidegger's pet question. What is being in itself? What is is? What does it mean to exist?

Can anything exist for me, that I am not conscious of? Or is consciousness, on a subjective level, equivalent to being?

It's as if being is the light that makes beings visible. And beings are all the determinate things that exist. Where as indeterminate being is the idea of existence separated from anything that exists. And Hegel says that indeterminate being is equivalent to a nothingness -- a nothingness that somehow exists.

It's all a bit paradoxical. It seems to touch the limits. Why is there something rather than nothing? This nothing exists as a concept. The concept of nothing is the presence of an absence.

Strange...

Zetherin

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 04:53 pm
@fast,
Consciousness perceives reality, it does not create it.

Reconstructo wrote:
I thought about this and decided that being is equivalent to consciousness. For humans, consciousness is the primary predicate. So in this sense the universe did not exist before man.

I think when most people say "being", they refer to a consciousness or awareness on some level, yes. We wouldn't say a rock is being X, we would say a rock is X. But reality encompasses everything, whether that thing is conscious or not. So, to say reality equals consciousness, I find to be incorrect. Perhaps this unique perception of the universe did not exist before man, but the universe surely existed before man. What do you think we were born into, if not reality?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:18 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;108606 wrote:
Consciousness perceives reality, it does not create it.

I think when most people say "being", they refer to a consciousness or awareness on some level, yes. We wouldn't say a rock is being X, we would say a rock is X. But reality encompasses everything, whether that thing is conscious or not. So, to say reality equals consciousness, I find to be incorrect. Perhaps this unique perception of the universe did not exist before man, but the universe surely existed before man. What do you think we were born into, if not reality?

Or, if Earth did not exist before Man existed, where did Man begin to exist? The notion that Man existed before Earth existed is incoherent.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:03:51