Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:56 pm
@fast,
I'm curious about this percept. "Glamor is the happiness of being envied."

kennethamy

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:19 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109630 wrote:
You just don't get it. You cling to your propositional logic as an altar boy clings to his rosary beads. You want claim linguistic philosophy and yet a holistic view of language seems to have not occurred to you.
That fallacy is a concept and its associated term is important, for you make a fetish of this concept. You trot it out as a bible-thumper trots out sin.

You pose as the party of common sense, and yet lack the eyes to see how the world really works. You bemoan the irrationality of a fallacious humanity... If only they knew your holy method.

You appeal to math which I have time and time again mocked as something obviously different from word. The linguistic philosophers were at their most naive and superstitious when they tried to make a sort of math out of word.

I compare your attitude to a mediocre chess player who thinks he's Napoleon.

A fact is information or knowledge that corresponds to reality. So says the dictionary. And what knowledge can there be without man?

The practical/theoretical distinction is significant. Or do you force your mother to define her terms when she says she loves you?

Numerous students taking logic have gaped at the teacher opened mouth, receiving their communion.

In philosophy, the party of common sense is often the party of flat-earthers.

What you call plainly false, that truth is determined by individual human beings in relation to one another, is plainly true. And that you don't see that strikes me as humorously superstitious.

Have you never thought about the issue?

Not an argument in the carload. Nothing but bombast.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109669 wrote:
Not an argument in the carload. Nothing but bombast.

Where's the argument in this? You are guilty of the "bombast" fallacy which is assuming there is something that transcends rhetoric and bombast.

Smile

kennethamy

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:47 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109673 wrote:
Where's the argument in this? You are guilty of the "bombast" fallacy which is assuming there is something that transcends rhetoric and bombast.

Smile

The fact is that you have not produced an argument. When you do, I will take what you say seriously.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:50 pm
@fast,
I suppose for you only arguments register as intelligible. It might be time for an upgrade on that positronic chip.

Smile

Fido

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:46 pm
@fast,
Zeth...You cannot fit a blade no matter how slim between the thing and the concept of the thing... Reality does precede our concepts, but then we also recreate our world out of our conceptual understanding...Knowledge is judgement... When we have reached a point of judgement on new phenomenon, we have a concept..Concepts are knowledge...

---------- Post added 12-09-2009 at 09:51 PM ----------

Reconstructo;109673 wrote:

Smile

When I was trying to learn French I learned something about English... We modify all our verbs with to be, or to have...Being and having are essential to life....To be generally means the same as equal...He is happy is drawing a certain conclusion, just as in one is one, even if no person can be defined with a single word...

Zetherin

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 09:14 pm
@fast,
Fido wrote:
Zeth...You cannot fit a blade no matter how slim between the thing and the concept of the thing

Of course you can. There's a thing, and then there's the concept of that thing. A mighty big sword (bastard sword) could fit between that!

Quote:
.Knowledge is judgement... When we have reached a point of judgement on new phenomenon, we have a concept..Concepts are knowledge...

This is interesting -- are concepts knowledge? We can have knowledge of concepts, and some concepts may be knowledge, but are you sure that all concepts are knowledge? Locke's idea of concept was "general idea", an abstraction. Can general ideas be false or true? I suppose they can. Does every idea have to be true or false?

I can judge whatever, but that doesn't mean I'm correct about it. And my judgment would have to be true in order for it to be knowledge, wouldn't it? But I know some of my judgments are wrong, so I wouldn't say all judgments are pieces of knowledge. But if I believed my judgment (which I think you have to, right? can you not believe your own judgment?), and had ample justification for my judgment, and it was true, then it would be knowledge, right? But then we must consider that some, if not many, judgments are preferential. So, how would we evaluate the truth of the matter in these cases?

Concepts, judgments, and knowledge. Interesting.

fast wrote:
Great, my last post in this thread is still here, but my great thread on "percept" that would have made me famous is gone, and just think, I would have been the envy of many a philosopher too.

grrr

*Fast, do you think you could make that thread on percepts again? And, this time, could you include concepts and judgments? I have some questions regarding how knowledge mingles with these interesting notions.*

Oh, and the reason it got deleted was because Robert, the new admin, moved the site to a new server. And, I'm guessing, some of the posts and threads created 15-30 minutes before the site went down, were not saved. (because I'm also missing posts).

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:15 pm
@fast,
What are things made of? What is a chair minus our concept of it as chair? Is it not the concept that strings the sense-data together? That summons it up in our imagination when it is not present? Have we any access to any sort of meaningful reality without concept? It's a good question.

And what about the concept of concept itself?

Bring on the lingustic historicism. How is a concept like concept invented? How is a concept/term like "abstract" invented? I suggest that in the beginning man used tropes, especially metaphors, to create/refer to these concepts.

Do we not continually debate with words and all too often neglect the study of what words are? I suggest that linguistic philosophy is first philosophy, for philosophy is made of words. And the limits of word are presumably the limits of philosophy.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:38 pm
@fast,
Reconstructo wrote:
Do we not continually debate with words and all too often neglect the study of what words are? I suggest that linguistic philosophy is first philosophy, for philosophy is made of words. And the limits of word are presumably the limits of philosophy.

I'm most interested in language -- syntactical construction, semantics, the use of linguistic devices, words, definitions, etc.. And, I think, in many threads, you will see that many of these notions are critically analyzed; most of us don't just take things for granted while philosophizing here.

I wholeheartedly agree that it is necessary we understand the medium with which we are communicating if we wish to effectively communicate. This is especially true when we speak of the philosophic, because we often have to battle language before we can even begin battling eachother. And many philosophers agree you with and I, like Wittgenstein.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:43 pm
@fast,
Thanks. I wasn't intending to accuse anyone in particular but philosophy in general, accusing myself. Because it's easy to forget.

I love Rorty's essays on Wittgenstein. I also read W himself, but its nice to see him assimilated by another great philosopher. The concept of language games really influenced me. I like the more holistic views of the later Wittgenstein.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:55 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109681 wrote:
I suppose for you only arguments register as intelligible. It might be time for an upgrade on that positronic chip.

Smile

It's only that when I believe something, I like to have some support or reason for believing it. Not just because the belief appeals to me. I always thought that most people are like that when they reach adulthood,

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 12:01 am
@fast,
Hmm, the adulthood comment doesn't sound like a "logical" argument...

We all like to have reasons. Both for ourselves and others. That's what rhetoric is all about. You using rhetoric right now, not logic. And logic, beneath its priestly robes, is also rhetoric. Welcome aboard!! Smile

kennethamy

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 12:14 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109728 wrote:
Hmm, the adulthood comment doesn't sound like a "logical" argument...

]/QUOTE]

It shouldn't. It isn't an argument. It is a comment.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 12:34 am
@fast,
Do you really think you are the representative of adulthood, merely because of your attachment to the term "logic" and dislike of the term "rhetoric."?

Could I not play that same card, accusing logic-philia of naivety in the face of how humans really operate?

It sounds like retreat.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 12:44 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109742 wrote:
Do you really think you are the representative of adulthood, merely because of your attachment to the term "logic" and dislike of the term "rhetoric."?

No. Why would you think so? I have no attachment to the term "logic", and do not dislike the term, "rhetoric". Why should I?

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 12:54 am
@fast,
Well, I've been saying that truth is based on persuasion in the broad sense of rhetoric rather than in the narrower sense logic. I don't think humans operate by logic. They are emotional mythological status-seeking beings. <-- opinion.

I think when people call themselves logical and they aren't saying much more than that they find their current opinions self-persuasive.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 01:04 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109750 wrote:
Well, I've been saying that truth is based on persuasion in the broad sense of rhetoric rather than in the narrower sense logic. I don't think humans operate by logic. They are emotional mythological status-seeking beings. <-- opinion.

I think when people call themselves logical and they aren't saying much more than that they find their current opinions self-persuasive.

I never call myself "logical". I hope that I am rational though, which may be what you have in mind. And when I believe I am rational I do not just believe that my current opinions are "self-persuasive". Partly, I think that my beliefs are supported by evidence and reason. I don't know what "truth is based on persuasion" means

Fido

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:58 am
@Zetherin,
Quote:
Zetherin;109702 wrote:
Of course you can. There's a thing, and then there's the concept of that thing. A mighty big sword (bastard sword) could fit between that!

Let me demand a small bit of honesty from you: If you saw a dog, and you had no concept of a dog, what are you seeing???The knowledge/judgement of a thing is inseparable from the thing...Having no concept of dog, you may call the dog thing an animal, but you have fallen back on another concept...In order to see anything apart from its background we must have learned to identify it, and that requires the idea of the thing, the recognition of the form of the thing...Whether we do so consciously or not, we must be able to say, this -is that... Are you some one other than your name??? And could I cut your name from you without blood???

Quote:
This is interesting -- are concepts knowledge? We can have knowledge of concepts, and some concepts may be knowledge, but are you sure that all concepts are knowledge? Locke's idea of concept was "general idea", an abstraction. Can general ideas be false or true? I suppose they can. Does every idea have to be true or false?

Absolutly...Concepts are all forms of classification...They are the means by which we individualize our experience...If we can tell the difference between a cat and a dog, it is not natural, because Piaget found that children might confuse a dog with a cow because each is the same, four legs and a tail...And even there is an example of a drawing of conclusions in our concepts...Notice that when people try to draw conclusion about infinites they may also arrive at a quasi conception of their object, which is no object at all...If we say God, we refer to an infinite that no one has taken the measure of...The same is true of all our moral concepts...So; if Kant said we can only have finite knowledge it is because we can say with some justified certainty what is the nature of a cat when compared to a dog, while we can say nothing true of the nature of God...What do we abstract in our forms???
When we move from the individual to the idea, we take all the shared qualities of the class essential in the individual...If color is not essential it is not abstracted... We accept that cats or dog come in all colors, and so color is essential to all, but specific color is not...We could do the same with human beings, define as human only those who are white, or aryan, and such definitions are essential to violence and injustice...

Yes; forms and ideas must be true or they are tossed on the trash of history... Animism, and naturalism have failed humanity because they could not with truth explain the workings of the world.... Spiritualism is on the same path, with a harder way since we all conceive of ourselves spiritually...Since we recreate our world out of our forms, a correct conception of the natural world is essential...

Quote:
I can judge whatever, but that doesn't mean I'm correct about it. And my judgment would have to be true in order for it to be knowledge, wouldn't it? But I know some of my judgments are wrong, so I wouldn't say all judgments are pieces of knowledge. But if I believed my judgment (which I think you have to, right? can you not believe your own judgment?), and had ample justification for my judgment, and it was true, then it would be knowledge, right? But then we must consider that some, if not many, judgments are preferential. So, how would we evaluate the truth of the matter in these cases?

Concepts, judgments, and knowledge. Interesting.

I am certain our judgments are never exactly correct, and some times are correct enough...Look at the syllogism...This is the most basic form of logic, and one I believed practiced in some form by all children, and at the end of it all you have is a tentative definition... We define finite reality with our forms...Can I believe my own judgment???. I would say, not... And how would I begin to, since all I have been given to judge with, other forms, I have from society...All of our knowledge, in order to be given culturally must be in the way of forms, the vast majority of which we receive as culture... Can you conceive of your experience of music, or scent, or sex???The individual subjective experience of reality is not expressible except through forms... We translate our experience into forms and exchange forms as communication...We cannot give the experience, but our judgments on it...

kennethamy

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 07:06 am
@fast,
Let me demand a small bit of honesty from you: If you saw a dog, and you had no concept of a dog, what are you seeing???

The answer, of course, is that I am seeing a dog. But if I hac no concept of a dog, I would not realize that I was seeing a dog. In the 15th century, when people saw whales they were seeing mammals. But since they did not have the concept of mammal, they did not realize they were seeing mammals. Just as if were you to be in the same room as I was, but I did not know who you were, Fido would be in the same room, but I would not know it.

What is puzzling about that?

Fido

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 07:11 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109754 wrote:
I never call myself "logical". I hope that I am rational though, which may be what you have in mind. And when I believe I am rational I do not just believe that my current opinions are "self-persuasive". Partly, I think that my beliefs are supported by evidence and reason. I don't know what "truth is based on persuasion" means

I don't want to put words in recons mouth, but much of what is accepted as truth is only truth- because -it is generally accepted as such...Whether because people are polite, or only have other fish to fry, they do not challenge the accepted version of truth....

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:40:15