Free Will and Supernaturalism

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » Free Will and Supernaturalism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

hue-man

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 02:21 pm
Is free will possible in a universe that was created by an omniscient deity that creates everything for a purpose and knows what will become of everything that it creates? Wouldn't such a universe be fatalistic?

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 03:01 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;130044 wrote:
Is free will possible in a universe that was created by an omniscient deity that creates everything for a purpose and knows what will become of everything that it creates? Wouldn't such a universe be fatalistic?

That's a good question. I once wrestled with this question seriously, as I was then religious. It never made sense to me that God could be omnipotent and omniscient and yet humans could make free choices. Eventually free will seemed like a useful fiction. But determinism can also serve as a useful fiction. You might find Hume interesting on this. He attacks the root of determinism, which is causality.

The notion of causation is closely linked to the problem of induction. According to Hume, we reason inductively by associating constantly conjoined events, and it is the mental act of association that is the basis of our concept of causation.

Night Ripper

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:36 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;130044 wrote:

You've got it turned around. Knowing what happens in the future doesn't determine the future. The future determines what is known. If an omniscient deity knows I will wash my car next Thursday it's because I will freely choose to do so. If I would have chosen Friday instead then it would have been Friday that the omniscient deity knows about. Whatever I choose is what is known, including any freely done last minute changes.

hue-man

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:48 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;130389 wrote:
You've got it turned around. Knowing what happens in the future doesn't determine the future. The future determines what is known. If an omniscient deity knows I will wash my car next Thursday it's because I will freely choose to do so. If I would have chosen Friday instead then it would have been Friday that the omniscient deity knows about. Whatever I choose is what is known, including any freely done last minute changes.

This would all be true if it weren't for one thing. The deity creates everything for a purpose and he knows what will become of his creations and therefore his purpose for them is what will become of them. This means that everything goes according to his will. This would mean that the universe is fatalistic, and fatalism is incompatible with free will.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:09 pm
@hue-man,
I find it difficult to conceive of Free Will. We are life-forms driven by needs/instincts. Free Will strikes me as a necessary fiction. But at the same time I don't find determinism utterly convincing.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:14 pm
@hue-man,
I think this makes the mistake of anthropomorphizing Deity. It assumes you know what omniscience consists of and what kinds of things Deity would do or know. It is like seeing Deity as a human intelligence but on a larger scale. ('What would God do???')

I think in many of the spiritual traditions, Deity can be conceived as that by virtue of which everything exists, or the basis or ground of being, or that from which everything arises. But this does not mean Deity orchestrates people and scenarios like a puppet master. I suppose mine is a less personalist interpretation of Deity. But in any case, individuals are free to pursue whatever interests they wish. The fact that they can make mistakes actually is a pretty good indication that they have free will. If it was all scripted for a certain outcome, there would indeed be no mistakes, and no freedom. As it is, many things are uncertain, and many outcomes possible. You can choose to learn to do good, cease to do evil, and pursue the benefit of humanity, or many other possibilities for better or worse.

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 10:13 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;130494 wrote:
This would all be true if it weren't for one thing. The deity creates everything for a purpose and he knows what will become of his creations and therefore his purpose for them is what will become of them. This means that everything goes according to his will. This would mean that the universe is fatalistic, and fatalism is incompatible with free will.

You were trying to make some kind of argument for omniscience and free will incompatibly. I think I've rebutted that. This is a different line of argument. Of course, the deity can also will humans to have their own free wills. There's nothing incompatible with a deity that chooses to give humans free will and at the same time knows exactly how we will use it.

Krumple

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 10:34 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;130738 wrote:
You were trying to make some kind of argument for omniscience and free will incompatibly. I think I've rebutted that. This is a different line of argument. Of course, the deity can also will humans to have their own free wills. There's nothing incompatible with a deity that chooses to give humans free will and at the same time knows exactly how we will use it.

Actually I think he implied more about being created with a goal already planned out. Sort of like you construct a robot to wash your car and that is your plan for it's creation but you give it free will? What if it never washes your car, that would mean your plan isn't being fulfilled. Or the other way you can look at it is, if the robot is stuck washing the car all the time, how does it ever exercise it's free will? Or is it limited to picking the sponge or soap products exclusively for it's free will?

Long explanation short, you can't have both a free will and a plan. They contradict and cancel each other. So which is it?

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 10:40 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;130741 wrote:
Actually I think he implied more about being created with a goal already planned out. Sort of like you construct a robot to wash your car and that is your plan for it's creation but you give it free will? What if it never washes your car, that would mean your plan isn't being fulfilled. Or the other way you can look at it is, if the robot is stuck washing the car all the time, how does it ever exercise it's free will? Or is it limited to picking the sponge or soap products exclusively for it's free will?

Long explanation short, you can't have both a free will and a plan. They contradict and cancel each other. So which is it?

The original post doesn't say anything about our entire lives being planned out from start to finish. It says that the deity creates everything with a purpose. So, assuming the deity created us with the purpose of having free will, how is that incompatible with anything?

Krumple

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 10:49 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;130742 wrote:
The original post doesn't say anything about our entire lives being planned out from start to finish. It says that the deity creates everything with a purpose. So, assuming the deity created us with the purpose of having free will, how is that incompatible with anything?

So the plan is to just construct a series of barriers and see which one you pick? A series of tests? The god exam? Then terminates the quality assurance test and decides which bin you qualify for? The landfill or trophy shelf?

Sounds like a great purpose to me.

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:00 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;130744 wrote:
So the plan is to just construct a series of barriers and see which one you pick? A series of tests? The god exam? Then terminates the quality assurance test and decides which bin you qualify for? The landfill or trophy shelf?

I'm an atheist. I'm only speaking hypothetically. There are no incompatibilities between free will and omniscience. There are plenty of good reasons to be an atheist. This fallacious argument isn't one of them.

Krumple

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:08 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;130746 wrote:
I'm an atheist. I'm only speaking hypothetically. There are no incompatibilities between free will and omniscience. There are plenty of good reasons to be an atheist. This fallacious argument isn't one of them.

I'm not talking about omniscience. Purpose implies plan. If you create something for a purpose, that means you have an objective for it to accomplish. You can't say the purpose itself is to exercise free will. Because then no matter what it did, it would be already fulfilling it's purpose. To judge it beyond that would be adding additional baggage onto it. Therefore there must be another purpose or point to giving a being free will. Free will can not be the soul purpose, pun intended.

groundedspirit

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:22 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;130744 wrote:

Well, if nothing else it HAS been someone's (or someTHINGs) interesting experiment !
I'm still waiting for someone to inadvertently knock over the fish tank.

Smile GS

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:44 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;130749 wrote:
You can't say the purpose itself is to exercise free will. Because then no matter what it did, it would be already fulfilling it's purpose.

Wrong. If your purpose is to exercise free will then as long as it's done freely, it doesn't matter what is done. The purpose is fulfilled. It's only if you don't exercise your free will, such as having fixed programming, like a robot, that your purpose isn't fulfilled.

So, as you can see, there's nothing wrong with saying our purpose is to exercise free will. There is a way in which we could fail to fulfill our purpose.

hue-man

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:54 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;130738 wrote:

You didn't take the entire post in account. I was implying that a universe which is created by a deity for a set purpose would be fatalistic and fatalism is incompatible with free will.

---------- Post added 02-21-2010 at 12:54 PM ----------

Night Ripper;130755 wrote:
Wrong. If your purpose is to exercise free will then as long as it's done freely, it doesn't matter what is done. The purpose is fulfilled. It's only if you don't exercise your free will, such as having fixed programming, like a robot, that your purpose isn't fulfilled.

So, as you can see, there's nothing wrong with saying our purpose is to exercise free will. There is a way in which we could fail to fulfill our purpose.

Organisms are mechanistic in form, so they can be compared to programmed robots. Now being programmed by nature is impersonal, but being programmed by a deity is intentional or willed. Therefore, how could there be such a thing as free will in a universe where the destinies of organisms are already pre-determined by the will of a deity?

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:06 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;130758 wrote:
You didn't take the entire post in account. I was implying that a universe which is created by a deity for a set purpose would be fatalistic and fatalism is incompatible with free will.

Only if that purpose doesn't include us having free will.

Quote:
Organisms are mechanistic in form, so they can be compared to programmed robots. Now being programmed by nature is impersonal, but being programmed by a deity is intentional or willed. Therefore, how could there be such a thing as free will in a universe where the destinies of organisms are already pre-determined by the will of a deity?
There's no logical contradiction in being programmed to have free will, by nature, a deity, or otherwise.

The robots humans make have fixed programming. Those robots don't have free will yet.

hue-man

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:18 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;130761 wrote:
Only if that purpose doesn't include us having free will.

There's no logical contradiction in being programmed to have free will, by nature, a deity, or otherwise.

The robots humans make have fixed programming. Those robots don't have free will yet.

What does it even mean to have free will in a fatalistic universe? When did fatalism become compatible with free will? How is free will possible in a universe where every action that an agent makes was pre-determined by a deity? Sure an agent can still exercise control over their actions, but that becomes somewhat of an illusion if the actions of the agent have already been pre-determined by the will of another.

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:29 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;130764 wrote:
What does it even mean to have free will in a fatalistic universe? When did fatalism become compatible with free will? How is free will possible in a universe where every action that an agent makes was pre-determined by a deity? Sure an agent can still exercise control over their actions, but that becomes somewhat of an illusion if the actions of the agent have already been pre-determined by the will of another.

In your original post, you said "creates everything for a purpose and knows what will become of everything that it creates" which is not even close to being the same as "every action that an agent makes was pre-determined by a deity".

If the purpose for humans is to exercise free will then every action isn't predetermined by a deity. It's determined by the agent. The deity simply has foreknowledge of the free choices made by the agent, which we have already established is compatible with free will. Foreknowledge of a free choice doesn't force anything.

hue-man

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:30 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;130768 wrote:
In your original post, you said "creates everything for a purpose and knows what will become of everything that it creates" which is not even close to being the same as "every action that an agent makes was pre-determined by a deity".

If the purpose for humans is to exercise free will then every action isn't predetermined by a deity. It's determined by the agent. The deity simply has foreknowledge of the free choices made by the agent, which we have already established is compatible with free will. Foreknowledge of a free choice doesn't force anything.

I understand all of that, but a universe that was created by a deity for a set purpose would be fatalistic. Don't you agree?

Also, in reference to an earlier comment you made, this is not an argument for atheism. This is simply a metaphysical inquiry.

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:39 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;130769 wrote:
I understand all of that, but a universe that was created by a deity for a set purpose would be fatalistic. Don't you agree?

No, I don't agree. A purpose is not the same thing as a set of programmed actions. I can make cookies for the purpose of them being eaten by my guests but I don't have instructions for them on whether or not to dunk the cookies in milk.

hue-man;130769 wrote:
Also, in reference to an earlier comment you made, this is not an argument for atheism. This is simply a metaphysical inquiry.

It's often used as an argument for atheism. Also, Krumple seemed to think I was religious so I was just setting the record straight.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » Free Will and Supernaturalism
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 05:30:46