Determinism and Fatalism: What's the Difference?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:42 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;131654 wrote:
I never disagreed. I agree there is a difference. I think it may depends on what one means by determinism though.

Of course. If you mean by "determinism" "fatalism", then there is no difference between them (according to how you use the terms). But who would deny that? As I said, if you ignore the differences, then they are the same, to you.

Amperage

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;131660 wrote:
Of course. If you mean by "determinism" "fatalism", then there is no difference between them (according to how you use the terms). But who would deny that?
What is your definition of hard determinism?

hue-man

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:49 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;131639 wrote:
I generally felt this way for a long time. At the moment I have doubts. Why? Because of Kant's idea that causality is a built-in aspect of human understanding. What if we are evolved to see things in terms of causes and effects? It's possible that this tendency does not correspond to nature.
But maybe it does. Personally, I find room for doubt.

Do you doubt that my hunger is caused by my need for nutrition which causes me to eat? I only doubt causality in the sense that everything that is, was or ever will be was or will be caused. I believe that there was (or is) an initial state of existence that was uncaused. I believe that the idea that everything must have a beginning or first cause is derived from the fact that a causal universe is all that we know.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:50 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;131661 wrote:
What is your definition of hard determinism?

Hard determinism is the doctrine that determinism is true, and that determinism is incompatible with free will. But that is not my definition. That is the definition of "hared determinism".

Amperage

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;131666 wrote:
Hard determinism is the doctrine that determinism is true, and that determinism is incompatible with free will. But that is not my definition. That is the definition of "hared determinism".
lol. you criticize my definition while changing yours because you don't like it.

anyway what would your definition of "hared determinism" be? The point being if you aren't in control then you are doing what you must and you have no choice but to do what is being done, things could not be different than they are. We are in a long line(of causality) of what is and what will always be it would seem to me.

It is on these grounds that I was saying that sounds a lot like fatalism.

I didn't say I agreed with either position I was merely pointing out that the difference depends on what one means when one says "determinism"

hue-man

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:58 pm
@hue-man,
For the record, I was speaking of fatalism in two ways in the original post. One was of an inevitable future derived from pre-determined outcomes. The other was of the compatibility of free will in such a universe.

The question was twofold. Is the universe causally deterministic and therefore fatalistic and, if so, does the will have any determining power over the future if the future is inevitable.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:58 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;131645 wrote:
Are you saying the cause and effect relationship is merely imagined?

It was Kant's idea that causality is transcendental. Humans just automatically think in terms of causality. We also automatically think in terms of substance and quantity. He was answering the extreme skepticism of Hume.

For Kant, we don't know what reality is like apart from our automatic/transcendental structuring of it. Kant was a believer both in God and science. But he didn't think God could be proved scientifically. (I'm not an expert on Kant's attitude toward God, but this is my general take.)

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:00 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;131669 wrote:
lol. you criticize my definition while changing yours because you don't like it.

Why do you say that? You asked me about hard determinism, not determinism. In any case, just because hard determinism is incompatible with free will, and because fatalism is incompatible with free will, it does not follow that hard determinism and fatalism are the same thing.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:01 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;131665 wrote:
Do you doubt that my hunger is caused by my need for nutrition which causes me to eat? I only doubt causality in the sense that everything that is, was or ever will be was or will be caused. I believe that there was (or is) an initial state of existence that was uncaused. I believe that the idea that everything must have a beginning or first cause is derived from the fact that a causal universe is all that we know.

I respect your opinion. I find it cohesive. I'm still working out what I think about Kant. It's a great philosophical issue.

Amperage

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:01 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;131673 wrote:
It was Kant's idea that causality is transcendental. Humans just automatically think in terms of causality. We also automatically think in terms of substance and quantity. He was answering the extreme skepticism of Hume.

For Kant, we don't know what reality is like apart from our automatic/transcendental structuring of it. Kant was a believer both in God and science. But he didn't think God could be proved scientifically. (I'm not an expert on Kant's attitude toward God, but this is my general take.)
I watched a video on this website last night where Fredrick Copleston and another gentleman were discussing Schopenhauer and it was along these same lines. I found it quite interesting.

---------- Post added 02-23-2010 at 08:03 PM ----------

kennethamy;131674 wrote:
Why do you say that? You asked me about hard determinism, not determinism. In any case, just because hard determinism is incompatible with free will, and because fatalism is incompatible with free will, it does not follow that hard determinism and fatalism are the same thing.
quite so. Which is why I was curious as to your definition to see where the distinction would be made between the two. It seems strange to state that if one has no free will one can still control the outcome of the future.

And I'm not sure that I would maintain that fatalism is incompatible with free will assuming there is such a thing as fatalism. Or free will for that matter.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:07 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;131673 wrote:
It was Kant's idea that causality is transcendental. Humans just automatically think in terms of causality.

In fact, Kant snitched it from Hume who held that the notion of causality is a habit of expectation that if A happens, then B will happen. Kant just put it into philosophese (as was to be expected).

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:20 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;131676 wrote:
I watched a video on this website last night where Fredrick Copleston and another gentleman were discussing Schopenhauer and it was along these same lines. I found it quite interesting.

Perhaps they mentioned this but Schopenhauer was a huge fan of Kant. It was Schopenhauer who pointed me toward Kant. I love them both. I don't completely agree with either.

---------- Post added 02-23-2010 at 09:22 PM ----------

kennethamy;131680 wrote:
In fact, Kant snitched it from Hume who held that the notion of causality is a habit of expectation that if A happens, then B will happen. Kant just put it into philosophese (as was to be expected).

You may have a point there. But Kant declared it transcendental, which was to put a different spin on it. Kant and Hume are both great.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:43 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;131665 wrote:
With One and One alone there is no Cause...just Being...Cause is a temporal Metaphor for demonstrating One consistency...Cause is Circular Logic in the System, not beyond the system...how could it be otherwise ???

---------- Post added 02-23-2010 at 09:50 PM ----------

---------- Post added 02-23-2010 at 10:56 PM ----------

It cannot be FALSIFIED !!! (not even by itself)

...Freedom in every sense is a fallacy ! Therefore Determinism must be True...

Post Scriptum: Another interesting Idea of mine is that maybe there is only ONE dimension...from Which the others are simulated...to this I call the AXIS...(axis of Order)

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 10:46 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;131693 wrote:
With One and One alone there is no Cause...just Being...Cause is a temporal Metaphor for demonstrating One consistency...Cause is Circular Logic in the System, not beyond the system...how could it be otherwise ???

---------- Post added 02-23-2010 at 09:50 PM ----------

---------- Post added 02-23-2010 at 10:56 PM ----------

Cause is what transcends dualism, dichotomy, separatism...Cause is dialectics prof...
Prof of Unity, prof of ONE !

I love issues like this. Great stuff. Reminds me of Kojeve's chapter on Eternity, Time, and Concept. He traces this relationship from Plato to Kant to Hegel. It's on just such themes as this. --I'm also getting back in Kant again. What do you think of transcendental categories? Fits in to the quote above. This is the book but the chapter is mostly not there in this sample. Anyway, highly recommended. Introduction to the reading of Hegel - Google Books

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 10:58 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;131710 wrote:
I love issues like this. Great stuff. Reminds me of Kojeve's chapter on Eternity, Time, and Concept. He traces this relationship from Plato to Kant to Hegel. It's on just such themes as this. --I'm also getting back in Kant again. What do you think of transcendental categories? Fits in to the quote above. This is the book but the chapter is mostly not there in this sample. Anyway, highly recommended. Introduction to the reading of Hegel - Google Books

Well I read Kant in the High School but I was more focus on Hegel at the time...I was fascinated with Dialectics...it somehow reminded me Einstein Relativity...now I have to go back on Kant again...it makes so much more sense...Smile (and yes they fit)

---------- Post added 02-24-2010 at 12:02 AM ----------

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:12 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;131713 wrote:
Well I read Kant in the High School but I was more focus on Hegel at the time...I was fascinated with Dialectics...it somehow reminded me Einstein Relativity...now I have to go back on Kant again...it makes so much more sense...Smile (and yes they fit)

---------- Post added 02-24-2010 at 12:02 AM ----------

At the time and being young I get annoyed with transcendence...(I still am)
I buy the Transcendental part, but not the Transcendence itself...
I still have this impression that the part also contains the Whole...so I focus on Hegel...

Yeah, I like Hegel more than Kant as well. It was Kojeve's book on Hegel that got me re-excited about Kant. Kant put eternity within time. If causality is transcendental, it's eternal. But causality is only conceivable as part of time. One thing follows another for a reason ("cause"). But the notion of Cause is eternal in that it's just the way our minds work. Or so runs the theory. But according to Kojeve, Hegel equates the Concept directly with Time. The Concept only becomes pseudo-eternal because it swallows its own tail dialectically. Hegel's system stands on its circularity. It doesn't need transcendence. The understanding becomes reason by exhausting its dialectical possibilities and passing Go.

I don't buy Hegel wholesale, but the man was a genius. Man(The Concept) is Time. According to Kojeve, this is Hegel in a nutshell. But of course it requires elaboration. I'm more of a fan than an expert, but damn this book gets me high.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:22 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;131719 wrote:
Yeah, I like Hegel more than Kant as well. It was Kojeve's book on Hegel that got me re-excited about Kant. Kant put eternity within time. If causality is transcendental, it's eternal. But causality is only conceivable as part of time. One thing follows another for a reason ("cause"). But the notion of Cause is eternal in that it's just the way our minds work. Or so runs the theory. But according to Kojeve, Hegel equates the Concept directly with Time. The Concept only becomes pseudo-eternal because it swallows its own tail dialectically. Hegel's system stands on its circularity. It doesn't need transcendence. The understanding becomes reason by exhausting its dialectical possibilities and passing Go.

I don't buy Hegel wholesale, but the man was a genius. Man(The Concept) is Time. According to Kojeve, this is Hegel in a nutshell. But of course it requires elaboration. I'm more of a fan than an expert, but damn this book gets me high.

...at the time young and foolish (I still am and that brings me somehow enlightenment...nevermind again) I saw in Hegel the possibility of linking all Sciences together...you Know jumping from Physics, to Law, or even Biology and later on Computing...daydreaming ! Very Happy

---------- Post added 02-24-2010 at 12:30 AM ----------

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:30 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;131721 wrote:
...at the time young and foolish (I still am and that brings me somehow enlightenment...nevermind again) I saw in Hegel the possibility of linking all Sciences together...you Know jumping from Physics, to Law, or even Biology and later on Computing...daydreaming ! Very Happy

The totalizing temptation! It's a noble itch. To subsume and assimilate. Maybe Totality is the carrot and Philosophy is the Mule.

Rorty liked to joke about Hegel waiting at the end of the road. Probably as his Dialectic detached from his system seems descriptive of how we work. Determinate negation. We carry the scalps of yesterday's riddles along with us, seeking more scalps. Computing provides us metaphors that may help us understand biology, or the reverse.

I think that thinking is largely metaphorical and that technology provides the mind with new objects to use as metaphors. And of course new metaphors contribute to the invention of new objects.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:39 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;131723 wrote:
The totalizing temptation! It's a noble itch. To subsume and assimilate. Maybe Totality is the carrot and Philosophy is the Mule.

Rorty liked to joke about Hegel waiting at the end of the road. Probably as his Dialectic detached from his system seems descriptive of how we work. Determinate negation. We carry the scalps of yesterday's riddles along with us, seeking more scalps. Computing provides us metaphors that may help us understand biology, or the reverse.

I think that thinking is largely metaphorical and that technology provides the mind with new objects to use as metaphors. And of course new metaphors contribute to the invention of new objects.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;131727 wrote:

Plato's Recollection compared/contrasted with Kant's Categories....Both connected the Eternal to Time in different ways?

Aristotle puts Eternity in Time? Because the same forms rise and subside recurrently?

It seems as though any philosopher who wants to claim objective or perfect knowledge must connect himself to Eternity. Otherwise he's just the voice of subjectivity, the chatter of the contingent. I'm on both sides, myself, and probably neither.

Quote:

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!
Shades of the prison-house begin to close
Upon the growing Boy,
But He beholds the light, and whence it flows,
He sees it in his joy;
The Youth, who daily farther from the east
Must travel, still is Nature's Priest,
And by the vision splendid
Is on his way attended;
At length the Man perceives it die away,
And fade into the light of common day.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 12:09:58