What does it mean to say that X is real, or not real?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

ValueRanger

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 06:13 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;101616 wrote:
What in the world are you talking about, and how is it relevant to what it means to say X is real or not real?

So you ignored the link too.

How many more with control issues?

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 06:24 pm
@ValueRanger,
ValueRanger;101640 wrote:

I went to the link. It was interesting, but I did notice it was flagged as needing an expert's input . . .

prothero

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:58 am
@kennethamy,
It means that it "exists" as per your previous thread.
What does it mean to say that x exists?
It is really the same question, isnt it?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:39 am
@prothero,
prothero;101690 wrote:
It means that it "exists" as per your previous thread.
What does it mean to say that x exists?
It is really the same question, isnt it?

Dreams and hallucinations exist, but they aren't real. Toy trucks exist, but they are not real trucks.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 08:16 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;101606 wrote:
I suppose "Not a real toy duck" would mean "an imaginary toy duck".

I suppose it could mean that. But, like I said, I think it more likely someone would instead mean that it wasn't an authentic toy duck. I don't think they'd be questioning the toy duck's existence usually.

Quote:

In the example I used, I would mean, "A toy duck that is not really from the 17th century."
I can see how the syntax of "not a real toy duck from the 17th century" could lead to confusion though. I'm not sure that even "genuine" or "authentic" really fit the bill either.

I don't know why anyone would use "real" here. It is a misplaced modifier. It seems to me that "not a toy duck from the 17th century" would not only suffice, but would be clearer. Even if someone was referring to a toy duck that was just recently made, but looked like a toy duck from the 17th century, I can't imagine why anyone would say "not a real toy duck from the 17th century". One could simply say, "I have a toy duck that looks like a toy duck from the 17th century".

Quote:
If I was in the business of manufacturing baseball memorabilia, would I be lying if I said I make "Authentic reproductions of New York Yankees baseball caps"? I think I could even say they are genuine, and still be telling the truth.

Authentic reproductions of X are real.
They're just not real X.

"Authentic reproduction" is a misnomer and only lends to confusion. It is demonstrably false that everything is authentic or genuine, as shown by how we use the words in language. If everything was authenic, even reproductions, it would render the word "authentic" rather useless.

We can abuse language all we like to show that something can fit, but this does not mean that this is how we, or anyone, usually uses, or should use, language.

Quote:
Then we have the whole issue of simulacras as described by Baudrillard to mix things up even more.

I'm not familiar with "simulacras", I'll have to look Baudrillard up.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 08:59 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;101727 wrote:

I don't know why anyone would use "real" here. It is a misplaced modifier. It seems to me that "not a toy duck from the 17th century" would not only suffice, but would be clearer. .

Because he was rebutting the suggestion that is was not a toy duck from the 17th century? "It is a real X" is always used to rebut the suggestion that it is not an X. Remember, it is "not real" that "wears the pants".

Zetherin

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:20 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101744 wrote:
Because he was rebutting the suggestion that is was not a toy duck from the 17th century? "It is a real X" is always used to rebut the suggestion that it is not an X. Remember, it is "not real" that "wears the pants".

And sometimes I think you can clarify that something isn't the real X, without using the term "real" at all. As noted, sometimes "real" lends to confusion, not clarification.

"This is not a toy duck from the 17th century" is sufficient as a rebuttal to the suggestion that it is a toy duck from the 17th century. There's no need for, "This is not a real toy duck from the 17th century".

ValueRanger wrote:

Control issues? What are on earth are you speaking about? I did not ignore the link, I went to the link. But I don't see how it has anything to do with what we are speaking about in this thread. This is why I asked. And if you won't clarify, then your post will be deemed as off-topic.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:36 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;101752 wrote:
And sometimes I think you can clarify that something isn't the real X, without using the term "real" at all. As noted, sometimes "real" lends to confusion, not clarification.

"This is not a toy duck from the 17th century" is sufficient as a rebuttal to the suggestion that it is a toy duck from the 17th century. There's no need for, "This is not a real toy duck from the 17th century".

Control issues? What are on earth are you speaking about? I did not ignore the link, I went to the link. But I don't see how it has anything to do with what we are speaking about in this thread. This is why I asked. And if you won't clarify, then your post will be deemed as off-topic.

Maybe. But suppose someone says, "this looks to me like a very good fake 17th century toy duck. What do you think?" What I think you are pointing to is that (as I mentioned) a real X is really just an X. And that is true. But, nevertheless, the term "real" functions to rebut the suggestion that (in this case) the toy duck is is a fake toy duck. Look at it the other way: suppose I point to a ducky figure on a pond and ask "Do you think that is a duck?", suggesting that might be a decoy duck. You might say, "Yes. That's a real duck", (rebutting my suggestion in the context that it is a decoy).

Zetherin

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:47 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101757 wrote:
Maybe. But suppose someone says, "this looks to me like a very good fake 17th century toy duck. What do you think?" What I think you are pointing to is that (as I mentioned) a real X is really just an X. And that is true. But, nevertheless, the term "real" functions to rebut the suggestion that (in this case) the toy duck is is a fake toy duck. Look at it the other way: suppose I point to a ducky figure on a pond and ask "Do you think that is a duck?", suggesting that might be a decoy duck. You might say, "Yes. That's a real duck", (rebutting my suggestion in the context that it is a decoy).

Yes, I very well may say that in that particular situation. I am not doubting that sometimes "real" is necessary and may provide clarity. I just think sometimes it can do the opposite. I also understand what you mean by "not real wears the pants".

Are there any other related points concerning "real" we haven't covered yet?

Bhaktajan

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 10:02 am
@kennethamy,
Ken Post 24: Dreams and hallucinations exist, but they aren't real. Toy trucks exist, but they are not real trucks.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
This is the essential definition of "Intelligence (or Knowledge)".

It is written in ancient texts:

"Intelligence is the discrimitive power to distinguish between subtlties like the difference between Butter vs cheese vs cream".

What seems to be aimed at in these posts are attempts to codify 'the discrimitive power to distinguish between subtlties'.

ValueRanger

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 10:06 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;101752 wrote:

Ignoring foundational physics, especially when the obvious connector to metaphysics is implied, is simply ignorant.

Does enforcing lesser value range here make your projection of "what on earth", make you feel more in control of your self-imposed limitations?

So what on earth are you doing with Ken, who obviously does the same things over-and-over again with a virtually identical thread as "exist", when you could be exercising a much more valuable range of physics?

Go explore the world instead of skewing behaviors to forum-restricted axioms. As some of my master Kundalini trainers would say: get out of your head and balance your body/earth/universe...

hue-man

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 10:20 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101632 wrote:
Reality is everything that exists, But. matter, energy, and their fundamentally lawlike relations in space-time isn't all that exists. For instance, the number three exists.

The number three is a concept. Concepts are induced by the mind from instances. The mind is simply the word used to describe the functional aspects of the brain, and the brain is material. So I would include abstractions in reality because they are either reduced to, or identical to, the physical events in the brain.

ValueRanger

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 10:26 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;101644 wrote:
I went to the link. It was interesting, but I did notice it was flagged as needing an expert's input . . .
bridge the gapsix degrees of wikipedia for the very reason, the very necessity of sequitur, needed in a consistent human map/encyclopedia. Modular, scalar reality.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 10:56 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;101779 wrote:
The number three is a concept. Concepts are induced by the mind from instances. The mind is simply the word used to describe the functional aspects of the brain, and the brain is material. So I would include abstractions in reality because they are either reduced to, or identical to, the physical events in the brain.

If the number three is a concept, then what is the concept of the number three? The same concept as number three. You would not say that the Eiffel Tower was a concept. Why say that the number three is a concept?

---------- Post added 11-04-2009 at 12:15 PM ----------

Zetherin;101584 wrote:
I don't see how any of this makes "real" or "unreal" tough words. What part is tough to you?

"Not a real toy duck", makes sense. It means that the toy duck is not authentic, according to whatever standards for authenticity there are for toy ducks.

I just meant by "tough" complicated, and hard to get straight. At least I find it so.

hue-man

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:19 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101788 wrote:
If the number three is a concept, then what is the concept of the number three? The same concept as number three. You would not say that the Eiffel Tower was a concept. Why say that the number three is a concept?

The number three is a concept-formation (abstraction) of physical instances. The Eiffel Tower is a solid, material object in Paris, France.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 12:46 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;101794 wrote:
The number three is a concept-formation (abstraction) of physical instances. The Eiffel Tower is a solid, material object in Paris, France.

Of what physical instances is it an abstraction, I wonder? Russell said that the number three was the class of all triples. But classes are not concepts. They are abstract objects, and not concrete objects, like the Eiffel Tower, of course. But why must everything be a concrete object? Much less a material object?

hue-man

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 12:58 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101809 wrote:
Of what physical instances is it an abstraction, I wonder? Russell said that the number three was the class of all triples. But classes are not concepts. They are abstract objects, and not concrete objects, like the Eiffel Tower, of course. But why must everything be a concrete object? Much less a material object?

I didn't say that everything that exists needs to be a material object. I'm just saying that the number three is not a material object, but an abstract one that is reducible to mental events.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:11 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;101812 wrote:
I didn't say that everything that exists needs to be a material object. I'm just saying that the number three is not a material object, but an abstract one that is reducible to mental events.

It is certainly abstract. But can you indicate how it is reducible to mental events? What kind of mental events do you mean? Not everything has to be either material or mental. Those need not be the only two pigeon holes into which we must stuff everything. Maybe there are such things as abstract objects. Abstract objects are objects not in space and time. Like numbers.

hue-man

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101817 wrote:
It is certainly abstract. But can you indicate how it is reducible to mental events? What kind of mental events do you mean? Not everything has to be either material or mental. Those need not be the only two pigeon holes into which we must stuff everything. Maybe there are such things as abstract objects. Abstract objects are objects not in space and time. Like numbers.

I should call you the Socratic method from now on . . . lol.

Abstract objects are reducible to the mind because it is the mind that conceives of such things. I am not positing complete materialism, and I'm certainly not positing any type of idealism. I take the position of physicalism (a monism).

I consider abstractions to exist in space-time because they are reducible to the brain and mental events.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 05:11 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;101889 wrote:
I should call you the Socratic method from now on . . . lol.

Abstract objects are reducible to the mind because it is the mind that conceives of such things. I am not positing complete materialism, and I'm certainly not positing any type of idealism. I take the position of physicalism (a monism).

I consider abstractions to exist in space-time because they are reducible to the brain and mental events.

But whether they are reducible to mental event is the question. (And how are mental event in space, anyway?) Isn't physicalism a kind of materialism? Can physicalism be true, and materialism be false? And what makes you think that abstract objects are "in the mind"? If numbers are classes, which seems to be true, classes are not in the mind. So numbers are not in the mind.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 06:20:33