Repeatability in everyday experience.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 11:42 am
@richrf,
My view of the future.Its is written and the writers are all of us.If you could replay your life like a video would you assume the video has removed your free will? By the experience of dreaming the future i had to adjust my beliefs and this is the only way i can now view time.
I think of ourselves traveling on a train only being able to look out of the windows each side.On occassions we have the opportunity to look backwards or forwards and it results in these problems with our view of time,with us being creature of cause and effects.

richrf

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:39 pm
@xris,
xris;80387 wrote:
My view of the future.Its is written and the writers are all of us.If you could replay your life like a video would you assume the video has removed your free will? By the experience of dreaming the future i had to adjust my beliefs and this is the only way i can now view time.
I think of ourselves traveling on a train only being able to look out of the windows each side.On occassions we have the opportunity to look backwards or forwards and it results in these problems with our view of time,with us being creature of cause and effects.

For me it is a combination of observer and navigator, like a sailor. I am observing what is happening, but I definitely feel like I am participating and navigating through all that is happening in my life.

Rich

pagan

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 03:50 pm
@richrf,
nice replies guys

yeh some people seem to be more open to freaky stuff. Maybe its something to do with 'education' or lack of it sticking, so like xris was educated otherwise as to what was in the garden Smile

and the difference between continuity and repetition. Since our instruments went digital its as if science has lost the concept of continuity. It doesn't play a 'real' role anymore in the narratives of science, except as some abstract background unmeasurable that 'kicks' events into existence. It didn't use to be like that. Even space time is being modelled as bitty. The individual categorised by repetition. Statistics.

ValueRanger

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 06:18 pm
@xris,
xris;80361 wrote:
Well your making me feel totally inadequate,i dont even know what your talking about let alone answer.There is a golden mean to all trajectories,whats golden and what trajectories?When did we find the sixth sense?thanks xris..

I can understand if you choose to apply this forum as an aesthetic and thusly resist research. Why would you want to find consistency in what I posted by researching when you're here for easy banter? Others are better at the foundational mechanics.

xris

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 02:39 am
@ValueRanger,
ValueRanger;80431 wrote:
I can understand if you choose to apply this forum as an aesthetic and thusly resist research. Why would you want to find consistency in what I posted by researching when you're here for easy banter? Others are better at the foundational mechanics.
I stand rebuked but by the replies, you dont receive, i would gather im not alone in understanding your concepts.It is a forum, not a show room of educated nonsense.Making others opinions as mere banter is not really constructive in my humble opinion.In future i will leave you to your academia.

pagan

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 08:14 pm
@xris,
There is something about this subject that i am wrestling with and have for some time now.

As I have hopefully illustrated here in this thread I have a particular way of reading science and what it can and cannot tell us. For me, science is one of those methods of inquiry that reveals general truths and intrinsic to that method is repetition. Science is wonderful at revealing universal perspectives of the 'physical' world. It is universal in two senses of the word. One in its generality of understanding and another in that it is communal. The narrative of science is to be general in that it applies in all times and space, and is thus repeatable in that sense, and it is open to confirmation to all (in theory) that would test it.

Taking the first form I often express it this way :-

A general truth says nothing of an individual truth, and an individual truth says nothing of a general truth. A general truth is confirmed to a statistical degree, by a collection of individual truths. There is no degree of confirmation in a statistical sample of one.

(Note I am assuming truth. An individual truth can show a necessary statement that claims to be a truth to be false. Eg all swans are white is shown false by a single instance of a black one. But a single toss of a coin cannot confirm the general truth that the probability of heads or tails is equal.)

The communal aspect of scientific development is another form of universality that I distinguish from the generality across time and space, ...... but it nevertheless could be seen as repetition in a different form. ie that as a successful communal narrative the community nurtures it by repeating the knowledge in text and memory and shared intent across its individual members.

Now this thread is I hope an exploration of phenomena that are not universal in the general statistical sense, (too rare to be repeatably measured) but are individual. One offs. And as rich has pointed out, there is the possibility of personal truth. This compares directly to the communal. Of course the moment someone tries to share a personal experience, it has to be communicated through media and language, and that opens up a whole can of worms with regard to truth! But what if some of us want to explore truth that falls outside the scientific?

To what degree if any, can such truth be universal? That is in both the communal and general sense I have outlined above. Are non scientific truths necessarily non repeatable? Are they necessarily personal? I am not sure about this. For example might a group of people witness a miracle or share a premonition? Moreover does repetition in a different sense enable knowledge that is non scientific. For example using repetition in ritual? Meditation and trance techniques could be seen as such.... does it make sense that they could reveal non scientific insight through repetitive practice?

I ask because I am genuinely interested in actually exploring that which may exist outside science and materialism and rationality. Does what i am saying make sense as a strategy of inquiry? Have i missed something or made an incorrect assumption?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 08:45:02