What it is like.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » What it is like.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 03:51 am
There are somethings that could not be explained by reduction to something else. Here is what i mean. Think of a particular "feeling" you had toward a person, or a book. The sense of honor, and dignity you felt when you did something good. You can always explain it using biological terms from a third person perspective of what is going on in your body. You could write a paper that describes the precise biological sequence of events that lead the particular feeling you felt. Someone can read the paper, and understand the sequence of events that lead to your particular feeling. Does he really understand how your feel? I don ` t think so. Here is why. Suppose you talk to your friend, and he had a bad day. You want to comfort him, and you tell him that you understand what he is going through. You don` t mean you understand the sequence of biological, chemical events that goes out in his body that lead to him feeling sad. What you mean is that you understand what it is like to have a bad day. Subjective experience deals with the question of "what is it like".

Other examples:

Ask a blind person what the color blue. He might define blue as a particular frequency of a EM wave. I doubt our intention is to know the frequency of EM wave. What we mean is how it feels to see the color blue. How it feels when the light hits our eyes, and the sensation it invokes.

nameless

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 05:46 am
@vectorcube,
The only 'comunication' in which there is perfect understanding, with no possbility of misunderstanding, is the communion of empathy. Only when both mutually experience the 'feeling' as one can we truly 'know' "what it's like".
Through language, prose, poetry, art, etc... we also attempt to demonstrate 'what it's like'. There is a 'range' of success.

vectorcube

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:15 am
@nameless,
nameless;75883 wrote:
The only 'comunication' in which there is perfect understanding, with no possbility of misunderstanding, is the communion of empathy. Only when both mutually experience the 'feeling' as one can we truly 'know' "what it's like".
Through language, prose, poetry, art, etc... we also attempt to demonstrate 'what it's like'. There is a 'range' of success.

My point is not about communication. Even it it is about communication, saying it is "empathy" does not give us anymore insight than saying "i feel your pain". The example of the blind lady is a standard example used in the philosophy of mind.

Getting the communication component out of the way. The thesis is that at the level of meaning, values, and other normative claims cannot be explained in terms of biochemistry. This is not to say the the biochemical events in the body cannot be explained using biology. There are levels about meanings, and the level of atoms. The subtle point here is that there are levels of description, so that one level cannot be reduced to a description of another level.

jgweed

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:25 am
@vectorcube,
To understand "Ian feels sad" we only have to know that Ian is sad and what it means for someone to be sad. This is not to say, for example, that Travis's sadness is the same as Ian's, and it is not to say that we can only know either's sadness if we can know that particular internal and external events that supposedly led up to to their unfortunate state (these are more of an secondary explanation).

vectorcube

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:40 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;75888 wrote:
To understand "Ian feels sad" we only have to know that Ian is sad and what it means for someone to be sad. This is not to say, for example, that Travis's sadness is the same as Ian's, and it is not to say that we can only know either's sadness if we can know that particular internal and external events that supposedly led up to to their unfortunate state (these are more of an secondary explanation).

I did not say "ian feel sad". That is like saying X is in state P. What good is that, unless you are an automata. I gave the example of someone comforting his friend in a bad say, and he said "i feel your pain". The keyword here is "meaning". What does it "mean". This person mean he experienced the feeling of having a bad day.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:51 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;75872 wrote:
There are somethings that could not be explained by reduction to something else. Here is what i mean. Think of a particular "feeling" you had toward a person, or a book. The sense of honor, and dignity you felt when you did something good. You can always explain it using biological terms from a third person perspective of what is going on in your body. You could write a paper that describes the precise biological sequence of events that lead the particular feeling you felt. Someone can read the paper, and understand the sequence of events that lead to your particular feeling. Does he really understand how your feel? I don ` t think so. Here is why. Suppose you talk to your friend, and he had a bad day. You want to comfort him, and you tell him that you understand what he is going through. You don` t mean you understand the sequence of biological, chemical events that goes out in his body that lead to him feeling sad. What you mean is that you understand what it is like to have a bad day. Subjective experience deals with the question of "what is it like".

Other examples:

Ask a blind person what the color blue. He might define blue as a particular frequency of a EM wave. I doubt our intention is to know the frequency of EM wave. What we mean is how it feels to see the color blue. How it feels when the light hits our eyes, and the sensation it invokes.

And, even if you know what it is like to have a bad day, you do not know what it is like for your friend to have a bad day, you know only what it is like for you to have a bad day. So you cannot reduce what it is like for someone else to experience something to what it is like for you to experience that thing. (See, "What is it like to be a bat" by, Thomas Nagel. I think it is on the Web").

vectorcube

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 01:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;75908 wrote:
And, even if you know what it is like to have a bad day, you do not know what it is like for your friend to have a bad day, you know only what it is like for you to have a bad day. So you cannot reduce what it is like for someone else to experience something to what it is like for you to experience that thing. (See, "What is it like to be a bat" by, Thomas Nagel. I think it is on the Web").

Think about the reply one more time. When mary had a bad day, and john comfort her by saying " i know what you mean". Does he mean he knows "exactly" the situation mary is in, and her mental state? Obviously not. Like the telmud said, you cannot be in another people` s shoe unless you are the people. John would be a crappy stocker to know exactly the detail of mary ` s day. What he means is that he understand Mary ignore "mental state". Thus, John knows and only need to know "what it is like" of the emotional state of mary, but not every detail of mary ` s experience.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 02:07 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;75957 wrote:
Think about the reply one more time. When mary had a bad day, and john comfort her by saying " i know what you mean". Does he mean he knows "exactly" the situation mary is in, and her mental state? Obviously not. Like the telmud said, you cannot be in another people` s shoe unless you are the people. John would be a crappy stocker to know exactly the detail of mary ` s day. What he means is that he understand Mary ignore "mental state". Thus, John knows and only need to know "what it is like" of the emotional state of mary, but not every detail of mary ` s experience.

Nothing you say above is inconsistent with what I said, so far as I can see. I simply pointed out that knowing what it is like for you to have a bad day is not the same as what it is like for Mary to have a bad day. Do you not agree with that? I know what John means. But how is what John means an objection to what I just said?

vectorcube

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 02:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;75963 wrote:
Nothing you say above is inconsistent with what I said, so far as I can see. I simply pointed out that knowing what it is like for you to have a bad day is not the same as what it is like for Mary to have a bad day. Do you not agree with that? I know what John means. But how is what John means an objection to what I just said?

My example works only to the extend that john does need to know "how it feels" to be in mary ` s shoe. You come alone and say john does not know the detail of mary ` s day. Well, what am i suppose to think? Your comment ( if you knowing it our not) try to avoid the question of "how it feels" for john. You are like saying, when john say he knows mary` s mental state, but he does not know exactly mary` s experience. The latter is unimportant to the question at hand, and i don` t even want the suggestion it does matter.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 09:11 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;75967 wrote:
My example works only to the extend that john does need to know "how it feels" to be in mary ` s shoe. You come alone and say john does not know the detail of mary ` s day. Well, what am i suppose to think? Your comment ( if you knowing it our not) try to avoid the question of "how it feels" for john. You are like saying, when john say he knows mary` s mental state, but he does not know exactly mary` s experience. The latter is unimportant to the question at hand, and i don` t even want the suggestion it does matter.

But it really has nothing to do with what you call the "details" of Mary's experience. It has to do with the fact that according to you, when John says he knows how Mary feels, he is really saying that he knows how he would feel if he were in the same situation Mary finds herself in. But, not that he know how Mary herself feels. And that is very different. For those are not even about the same thing. The first is about John. The second is about Mary.

vectorcube

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 02:29 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;76020 wrote:
But it really has nothing to do with what you call the "details" of Mary's experience.

what exactly did i say?

Quote:
It has to do with the fact that according to you, when John says he knows how Mary feels, he is really saying that he knows how he would feel if he were in the same situation Mary finds herself in.

true

Quote:
But, not that he know how Mary herself feels.

Why not? If i say i am happy right now. Do you have any problem with understanding how i feel?( Obviously not, because i told you, and you understand what it is like to feel happy)

Quote:

And that is very different. For those are not even about the same thing. The first is about John. The second is about Mary.

OK. Give me an argument.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 08:07 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;76033 wrote:
what exactly did i say?

true

Why not? If i say i am happy right now. Do you have any problem with understanding how i feel?( Obviously not, because i told you, and you understand what it is like to feel happy)

OK. Give me an argument.

I know what it is like for me to feel happy. I don't know what it is like for you to feel happy.

I just did give you an argument. I said that because one is about Mary, and one is about John, the two are different. The missing premise is that if they about two different people, then they are different. Two premises, and a conclusion. Therefore, an argument.

vectorcube

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 12:11 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;76088 wrote:
I know what it is like for me to feel happy. I don't know what it is like for you to feel happy.

The missing premise is that if they about two different people, then they are different.

Can you be more clear about this premise? Two people might have two different rooms, but there is nothing logically impossible that they share the same room( this room encompass the previous two rooms). Similarly, two objects can have two different mirror images, but nothing prevent them from having one mirror image( Imagine 2 objects, and three mirrors).
Two red objects might have their own set, but nothing prevent them from being members of the same set( the union of the previous two set).

kennethamy

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 06:00 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;76112 wrote:
Can you be more clear about this premise? Two people might have two different rooms, but there is nothing logically impossible that they share the same room( this room encompass the previous two rooms). Similarly, two objects can have two different mirror images, but nothing prevent them from having one mirror image( Imagine 2 objects, and three mirrors).
Two red objects might have their own set, but nothing prevent them from being members of the same set( the union of the previous two set).

Of course. If I make a statement about A, that statement is a different statement from a statement about B. Of course, that does not prevent them from both being statements about persons. But it does prevent them from being statements about the same person.

vectorcube

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 06:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;76182 wrote:
Of course. If I make a statement about A, that statement is a different statement from a statement about B. Of course, that does not prevent them from both being statements about persons. But it does prevent them from being statements about the same person.

I said you should clearify what you mean why that premise. That is, you ought to restate your premise.

ValueRanger

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 04:47 pm
@vectorcube,
One could just as easily state that we all are the same cause, with differentiated effects through space and time.

Like a fractal universe evolving from angular momentum, each of us filters consistent data differently. Through inherited genetic hardware, and the software of human choice, we process data back and forth (give and take reality, or, The Golden Rule) and constantly transform our hardware to adapt - for better or worse.

And compared to other planets and spacetimes we've measured, our Earth set is about a 1.618% miracle.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » What it is like.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 10:43:47