What The Bleep Do We Know?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » What The Bleep Do We Know?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Chaz-4

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:31 pm
A good friend of mine suggested that I rent a documentary Called What the Bleep Do We Know!? (also written What tнe #$*! Dө ωΣ (k) πow!? and What the #$*! Do We Know!?). See this article for more infornmation: What the Bleep Do We Know!? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and What the Bleep Do We Know!? & What the Bleep!? - Down the Rabbit Hole . Please check this out it is a fantastic thought provoking movie.

ScottHughes

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 07:17 pm
@Chaz-4,
I saw it. It was definitely interesting and fun to watch. Philosophically speaking, however, it seemed like mostly new-age religious ideas.

de Silentio

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 08:39 pm
@ScottHughes,
ScottHughes wrote:
I saw it. It was definitely interesting and fun to watch. Philosophically speaking, however, it seemed like mostly new-age religious ideas.

I saw the movie also, and enjoyed it.

Only the second part is 'new-age religious' as you put it. The first part is about quantum mechanics.

Aristoddler

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:15 am
@Chaz-4,
I found that it was horribly one sided, and left me with the impression that the writers were trying to dictate their thoughts instead of simply opening a field of thought for us to ponder on, which would have been much better in my honest opinion.

The thoughts they conveyed were very precise, and left no room for interpretation other than their own. I watched it with a small group of friends, and afterwards we had very little to say about it, which was quite a shock since we normally can sit around and discuss the philosophical aspects of almost any movie for hours on end.
Requiem for a Dream is a good example of that, in fact. We ended up doing an all nighter after that one, doing a ton of research on addictions as well as digging up some psychology reports on the elderly and prescription medication related addictions.

If you like "What the bleep do we know", then I also strongly suggest you try "Pi" with a small group of like minded individuals.

Edvin

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 03:31 pm
@Chaz-4,
'Pi' by Arnofsky is a great movie. Just got the chance to see it once though Sad

Lore

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:11 pm
@Chaz-4,
I've heard of both but never seen them. Netflixxxxx.

Play Dough

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 04:08 pm
@Chaz-4,
Chaz-4;7639 wrote:
A good friend of mine suggested that I rent a documentary Called What the Bleep Do We Know!?

The film is about 'metaphysics' and how consciousness plays a significant part in the causal chain (cause/effect) of events.

The underpinning of the film's message is that consciousness interacts dynamically (and creatively) with phenomena.
Otherwise, how could an 'originating thought' get one's butt off of the sofa to find the remote? (see also, mind over matter).

Chaz-4

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:36 pm
@Play Dough,
I agree with Play Dough as to what the movie is about... I think one of the most thought provoking concepts in the movie was that we are co-creators of existence and that our addictions can highly dictate how we choose to interact as creators. Pi was a great movie too, i would like to watch both of these again.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:51 pm
@Chaz-4,
Quote:
'Pi' by Arnofsky is a great movie. Just got the chance to see it once though

Great flick. A friend in high school loaned me his VHS copy - took me longer than expected to return the film.

As for 'What the Bleep Do We Know?' I've seen the film, and it reminded me of 'The Secret'. Both films provide misleading scientific claims to support a bunch of pseudo-philosophical/spiritual claims.

These sorts of films can be fun to watch. I enjoy them. But I caution viewers to check up on the claims being made, especially the science. It's easy to mislead lay people, like myself, when the topic is theoretical physics, and the writers of these films take full advantage.

As for the New-Age like spirituality/philosophy behind them - be honest with yourself. The concepts being sold - and they are being sold - are marketing ploys. The concepts are presented because the merchants expect people to eat them up, not because the concepts are intellectually sound or have any real instructive value, but because people like hearing reassuring messages.

These films sum up consumer-driven science and spirituality.

nameless

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:37 pm
@Edvin,
Edvin wrote:
'Pi' by Arnofsky is a great movie. Just got the chance to see it once though Sad

Aronofsky said that his 'The Fountain' finished saying what he was trying to say in 'Pi'. If you like the one, try the next!
Your welcome!
By the bye, for all and sundry, science and mysticism are finally converging since science (quantum physics) has finally found Consciousness, and calls it the "Ground of all Being"! (Copenhagen Interpretation)
Mystics have 'known/experienced' this for millennia.

Elgin

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 02:53 pm
Even though it says it is a film, it is actually a documentary! It DOES WORK, if it is practiced!

No0ne

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 09:04 pm
We cannot create something from nothing, for thats a scientific law..
Therefore all thought already exists, we only make it, not create it. We are nothing, for we know nothing, we are but vessels for the manifestation of something from nothing.

http://groups.able2know.org/philforum/topic/3612-1#post-95234
http://groups.able2know.org/philforum/topic/4470-1#post-95231
http://groups.able2know.org/philforum/topic/4103-2#post-95232

(Trend not lightly on the theme we be, a perspective reality opposite of dualism duality)

d d o o r

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » What The Bleep Do We Know?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:32:25